Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4age - no oil in filter ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
4age - no oil in filter ? Sat, 04 December 2004 22:15 Go to next message
Hi all, not very happy at the moment! I just took the 4age oil filter off as I had to slide the dodgy starter motor out.

There is no oil in the filter!

Whats odd is there was always really good oil pressure readings so it never occured to me that there was an oil problem.

I dont know what parts of the engine have been starved from oil. I'm assuming the bottom end must have been getting oil because it couldn't go 150km with no oil could it?

WTF is wrong with it though? Why wouldn't oil be getting to the filter?

Thanks
Joel

[Updated on: Sat, 04 December 2004 23:24]

Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age - no oil in filter :( engine stuffed now? Sat, 04 December 2004 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm maybe im just being retarded... I undid the oil cap on the rocker cover when engine was running and you can see oil sloshing around the cams.

Im just used to taking off the oil filter and heaps of oil running out of the thing. This one just looks like its dry.

I ran the engine for a second with the oil filter off altogether and ended up with a huge puddle of oil on the driveway which makes me think oil is definately getting to the filter

Could it be the oil filter is broken or wrongly manufactured?

Cheers
Joel
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 4age - no oil in filter ? Sat, 04 December 2004 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If its an aftermarket ryco type filter (not a toyota) then it will probably not have the pressure valve in the filter that retains oil inside the filter when the engine is turned off.

Thus removing the filter will result in no oil coming out. Toyota filters will piss oil everywhere and as a result the toyota filter is a better alternative.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4age - no oil in filter ? Sat, 04 December 2004 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just put a fesh oil filter in, let it run for a few moments then take it back off?

Cheers

Steve
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4age - no oil in filter ? Sun, 05 December 2004 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel, no matter what type of filter you use generally the 4AG will retain some oil in the filter when you remove it.

theres two exceptions to this...

the first is that the engine has been sitting for a very long time and the oil has slowly seeped back to the sump, generally even an engine thats been sitting for over 6 months will still have a small trace of oil at the filter

second if the motor has been sitting on a lean to the drivers side.. i.e .. the car has been parked sloping this way then oil will also drain back to the sump, again there should still be a residual amount of oil though.

Id change the filter and run it again and see what happens, it may be that the filter relief valve is jammed closed, however if the engine is staved of oil, you will notice it pretty quickly, the top end gets a bit rattly after a few hours driving. I doubt that its been starved or I know you would have picked up a problem with how the engine was operating.

one of the reasons i run an accurate oil pressure gauge at the tap in the block is to give me an accurate indication of pressure closer to the bearings in flow of things.

hope that helps
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 4age - no oil in filter ? Sun, 05 December 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
having changed hundreds upon hundred of filters, i find that occasionally on some cars when you remove the filter no oil comes out, tho you can see the paper element inside has oil. ive never really put much thought into it tho. next time i get one i might take note of how many k's since last service.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age - no oil in filter ? Sun, 05 December 2004 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks all for your information on this one.. I've got a few things to go on now Smile

Just one question though.. I think the engine used to have an oil cooler (smallport 100kw), but the previous owner has removed the sandwitch plate.

So I just for now blocked up the return pipe to the sump.

Should that all be ok?

Thanks
Joel
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4age - no oil in filter ? Mon, 06 December 2004 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it will be fine
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4age - no oil in filter ? Mon, 06 December 2004 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want you can take the sump fitting off. Its the same size as the sump nut. They cost $3 from Toyota Very Happy
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4age - no oil in filter ? Tue, 07 December 2004 11:13 Go to previous message
BlackSupra wrote on Sun, 05 December 2004 09:29

If its an aftermarket ryco type filter (not a toyota) then it will probably not have the pressure valve in the filter that retains oil inside the filter when the engine is turned off.

the 4age Ryco filter is a Z386 which does have a anti-drain back valve.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4A-GZE Coilpack vs 7M-GTE Coilpack Differences?
Next Topic:gz wiring problem
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 18:42:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.089538097381592 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.