Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
legalities of BOV Fri, 26 November 2004 23:10 Go to next message
is it true that you can have a BOV on your car IF it is a plumb back unit? and what about cars that have BOV standard?

(fyi i ran a search for old BOV legality threads and there was just too many generic threads so i started a new one)
  Send a private message to this user    
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: legalities of BOV Sat, 27 November 2004 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, your statement is true.

Cars that have a BOV standard are all plumb back, hence them also being legal. I'm yet to see any car from the factory having a venting BOV.

BTW, my comments are valid in NSW. Not sure about other states.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: legalities of BOV Sat, 27 November 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless you have a MAP sensor you don't want a venting BOV anyway.

In Vic, plumb backs are legal and venting BOVs aren't.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: legalities of BOV Sat, 27 November 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are hybrid units legal, ones that can vent to atmosphere and plumb-back?

If not, do what Im doing and save up for a Stealth FX Smile
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: legalities of BOV Sat, 27 November 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofa347 wrote on Sat, 27 November 2004 14:52

good question. Smile i've thought about this idea too.. but i really doubt it WILL BE legal.(in vic atleast)the main reason why venting bov's are illegal is because the emissions arent passing through a cat converter.

would a venting be legal in a pre nov 1985 car though???
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: legalities of BOV Sat, 27 November 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

would a venting be legal in a pre nov 1985 car though???

Good question indeed, I would love to know because my Cressida is October 85 Very Happy
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: legalities of BOV Sat, 27 November 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why would compressed AIR have to go through the CAT?
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: legalities of BOV Sat, 27 November 2004 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Something about, its not just air that is being vented, their could be fuel or something like that being vented aswell. Im not too sure, but someone else will explain it further hopefully Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: legalities of BOV Sat, 27 November 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The reason atmo-venting BOV's are illegal is because they vent oil (ie hydrocarbon emissions), not just air.
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: legalities of BOV Sat, 27 November 2004 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is that from the compression of the air and the heat produced or from the oil feed to the shaft?
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: legalities of BOV Sat, 27 November 2004 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so plumb back BOVs have hoses going back into the air box, right? im just trying to get my head around this so i can somehow fool the police. Rolling Eyes
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: legalities of BOV Sun, 28 November 2004 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofa347 wrote on Sat, 27 November 2004 14:52

If not, do what Im doing and save up for a Stealth FX Smile

I have verified this already with the Police, and in NSW at least, they are legal. I have the Stealth/FX BOV. The copper just said that as long as it's set to recirc while on the street, you are fine.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: legalities of BOV Sun, 28 November 2004 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plumb back bov's have a hose that go back to the inlet of the turbo ( Filter/air box )

A certain amount of oil will come out of a bov that isnt a plumb back one as well as more than just compressed air ( a bit of exhaust and stuff like that )

unfortunately i couldnt be bothered buying a plumb back bov as i had a spare turbo xs one sitting around. So all i did is mount it underneith my intercooloer pipeing down next to my gear box Very Happy You can still see a bit of it but more often than not i dont think it will get noticed.

The plumb back ones sound like the cars in fast and the furious. My bro has one on his car.
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: legalities of BOV Sun, 28 November 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone know where to go to get a silicon I/C piping that has an extra bit hanging off it for the BOV? i think AVO had one for the wrx something similar...
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: legalities of BOV Mon, 29 November 2004 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

its an easy spot for cops doing ur car over Rolling Eyes - most aftermarket atmo venting bov are bright and shiny, hybrid is the way to go! i wish it could b changed in cabin tho hmmmmm....

also the hybrid is variable ratio which is awesome cos it controls the sound factor - ie variable loudness too

plumb back legal - aftermarket bosch type commonly used
atmo venting - illegal as far as i know

id get a hybrid, paint it black and try to install
it hidden as possible...

with <i wish> in cabin switch - no officer u didnt hear a bov
goin past at 200km/h... my bov is plumb back hehe Laughing

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: legalities of BOV Mon, 29 November 2004 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why have atmo venting (even "hybrid" atmo venting) at all? I don't understand why people want to make their car sound like a city bus. And yes my car sounds like a city bus right now and it gives me the shits; as soon as I find a way to get a proper airbox in my car my BOV will be recirculated and hopefully much less annoying.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: legalities of BOV Tue, 30 November 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about the ones fitted to trucks. Surely they are the venting type or is the noise coming from a pneumatic clutch?
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: legalities of BOV Tue, 30 November 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends how old your car is ... one of the adr's say that its only post 85 (?) cars that cant have atmospheric blow off valves ..

why do u want one anyway ?
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: legalities of BOV Tue, 30 November 2004 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gold28 wrote on Tue, 30 November 2004 13:35

What about the ones fitted to trucks. Surely they are the venting type or is the noise coming from a pneumatic clutch?

I think you are hearing air brakes there dude. I've never heard a truck with a venting BOV. Do big rigs even use them ?
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: legalities of BOV Tue, 30 November 2004 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hah reminds me when i saw a semi with an atmo venting bov! i dont mean the brakes i mean 25 psssssssssscchhhhht before it was going 60 haha.. oh however many gears it had.
big JON
Regular

September 2004
Re: legalities of BOV Tue, 30 November 2004 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont see why people want venting BOV's...or at least excessively loud ones anyway...All it does is attract attention to yourself...then you complain when you get defected for having one...hmmm. Who really needs that extra attention already??

Jon
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: legalities of BOV Wed, 01 December 2004 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definitly not brakes. These puppies go psshhhtttt on gear changes.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: legalities of BOV Wed, 01 December 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Weird...
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: legalities of BOV Wed, 01 December 2004 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what i've been told, the bov's u hear on trucks are actually plumbacked, there just really loud still.and having a nice venting bov sounds good. Very Happy just admit it. people want venting bov's becuase they sound cool.i can understand some people saying they are sick of the sound.
i havn't got a bov yet, just flutter from my filter.it sounds nice. Smile
i think a hybrid is a really good idea, and if i get a bov in the near future it will most likely be one of them.

styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: legalities of BOV Wed, 01 December 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turbos were never originally invented for cars, they existed long before they became practical for cars...

they were originally used in trucks and planes and boats...

they are GODDAM HUGE turbos Very Happy thats probably
why you will still hear a plumb back bov
pshhhhhhhhht in a truck

[Updated on: Wed, 01 December 2004 10:45]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: legalities of BOV Sun, 05 December 2004 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gold28 wrote on Wed, 01 December 2004 12:06

Definitly not brakes. These puppies go psshhhtttt on gear changes.

Air shift. Diesels don't have throttle plates, hence a BOV isn't needed and wouldn't work anyway.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: legalities of BOV Sun, 05 December 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suspected as much
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: legalities of BOV Sun, 05 December 2004 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im not catching on but i saw something about 85 and down is legal? i have a 84 model mazda 929 is it possible for me to have a bov?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: legalities of BOV Sun, 05 December 2004 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isnt your car n/a?
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: legalities of BOV Mon, 06 December 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats n/a?
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: legalities of BOV Mon, 06 December 2004 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Naturally Aspirated:

An engine that does not feature forced induction. In a naturally aspirated engine, air flows into the combustion chambers at a rate that is equal to or less than atmospheric pressure (usually less than atmospheric pressure, due to restrictions in the intake tract).

Source: http://www.enjoythedrive.com/glossary/parse.asp?id =8420&criteria=n

nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: legalities of BOV Mon, 06 December 2004 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you use a Bov with out turbo?
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: legalities of BOV Mon, 06 December 2004 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No.

However, you can install systems that simulate the "wooosh" sound that a BOV emits.

see http://www.sunamiturbo.com/ for more info on BOV simulators.

Please note: Using above product or similar products increases the probability of you being labelled a TOOL.

nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: legalities of BOV Mon, 06 December 2004 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Woow Awsom product, do you use it?
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: legalities of BOV Mon, 06 December 2004 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No
Esteban
Regular

June 2002
icon11.gif  Re: legalities of BOV Sat, 11 December 2004 03:51 Go to previous message
The sounds the truck was making, were undoubtedly due to it using an air-shift gearbox. And yes, trucks and busses with this type of air system on brakes/clutch/gearboxes can legally vent to atmosphere for the simple reason that they are compressed air venting only. So dont be feeling hard done by.

Venting BOVs blow anyway

Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HELP - engine overheating + coolant/radiator problem
Next Topic:what can you tell me about the Q45?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 00:05:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0092229843139648 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.