Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
big929
Newcomer

November 2004
Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Tue, 30 November 2004 09:10 Go to next message
hey everyone,

im currently looking at doing an engine conversion in my 94 model 929, i know its a mazda but im not keen on putting a rotor in it.

Stock it has a 3.0L V6 DOHC auto, mazda rekons 200hp at the fly. Im looking at putting a 1JZ in it, works out a bit cheaper than the 2JZ half cut, and with the extra $$$ then i can do performance work to the 1JZ.

On the other hand, my car would really suite a V8, and it might have more torque to get it going. That's why im asking you guys, the car weighs close to 2tonne and i really want to make it special, so what engine do i use???

do i need a half cut, because most of the stuff wont fit anyway, or can i just buy the complete engine with the loom, ecu and gearbox? I got a quote for a 1uz, all up it was around 8k, maybe more.

thanks for any help
adam
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Tue, 30 November 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what did that quote for the 1UZ include?

just a few things to help you decide. The toyota soarer comes with a 1JZ and a 1UZ. These are pretty heavy around 1600kg minimum, and the 1JZ version is quicker than the 1UZ

jump onto www.planetsoarer.com and have a look at a few dyno and acceleration figures to help u make a decision

hope this helps
big929
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Tue, 30 November 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
8K was drive in, drive out with stock engine and Microtech ECU.
he said to allow $3k for half cut, ECU cost of $2K, so that leaves $3k labor/anything else.

not bad, but for $10k i could get a 1JZ fitted with FMIC,mircotech ECU, drive in drive out.

$12K for 20BTT fitted with FMIC,mircotech ECU, drive in drive out.

so i figure, the extra $2k between 1UZ and IJZ spent on the 1UZ won't match the performance of the 1JZ and i wont have boost.

my mum has a TT soarer auto and i love the feeling of boost.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Tue, 30 November 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for $2k more I'd be seriously tempted to go the 20b!
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Tue, 30 November 2004 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats his facination with microtech?

he not willing to wire the standard ecu?
big929
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Tue, 30 November 2004 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Wed, 01 December 2004 08:10

whats his facination with microtech?

he not willing to wire the standard ecu?

i have no idea, but because its a mazda and all the wiring witht he engine and car are integrated into the one loom or sumthin, so it 'needs' a full aftermarket computer.

i think Haltech are better myself, whats wrong with microtech?
would the 20b have enough power/torque from the bottom of the rev range to get it moving off the line?
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Wed, 01 December 2004 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not saying microtech is a bad thing

just wondering why hes not willing to use standard ecu

ie. perhaps he tells u he cant integrate it into the mazda loom so he can sell u a MT and charge u more etc

does the quote inlude tuning and dyno time or will that cost extra?

always be suspicious, dont be the one to put his kids thru uni if u know what i mean

*cue twilight zone music*

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Wed, 01 December 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, I would have to think a 20b TT would be a pretty good option also. Considering how similar a 929 and a cosmo is. Cosmos would weigh pretty close to a 929 wouldn't they? And I have seen them run 13's stock.

I haven't been in a cosmo but my mate had one and it seemed to go very well off the line. They use two turbos of different sizes unlike the 1jz or 2jz. Personally, I think the 20b is more comparable to a 2jz, so if you can't afford a 2jz go a 20b.

I think the the extra torque of the 2j of 20b would be the go for something nearly 2 tonne rather than a 'puny' 2.5L Razz
big929
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Wed, 01 December 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$12k was sort of a ball park figure because he said the wiring will be a pain in the ass and take longer than expected.

im not sure about dyno time, but if it was drive in drive out, it would have to be tuned.

1JZ conversions are becomming pretty popular, so i probably wont go with that and the 2JZ has a better platform for future mods, doesnt it? also the 20b will probabky need a rebuild, thats like 3K for new seals and stuff, which makes it around $15k conversion, which is a shit load of money.

what about the 1UZ? turbo version, in the Cima's? then i have the torque of the V8 and a big turbo Very Happy
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Wed, 01 December 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20B is effectively a 3.6L (or have the torque of a 3.6) so off the line will be a little better than the 2JZ, and a little worse than the 1UZ... but if they are all going to be turbo, then it's really much of a muchness... 3L-3.6L-4L...
my opinion would be 1UZ, but the 20B is so much smaller that it will be a lot easier to fit.. except for rotor geometric weirdness (ie high crank)

maybe this guy is not good with wiring Wink

Cya, Stewart
nudes
Regular

October 2004
Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Wed, 01 December 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why dont you sell the 929 (circa $10 - 12G) pocket the money needed fo the conversion ($12- 15G) and, worse case scenario, have $22G to spend on, oh i dont know...
-a modified 2J Supra
-a modified GTR
-2 cefiros
-2 GTsT's

the list goes on......

this is just from my point of view mate.. no doubt it would be unique and outside the square but surely the weight of this car would compromise handling, acceleration and return crazy fuel consumption figures..

my attitude toward modifying cars though is that reducing weight is more effective than adding power so my view on this is largely biased.. just introducing an alternative Very Happy

goodluck with whatever you decide on mate
RA23_Sean
Regular

May 2002

Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Wed, 01 December 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Cima is a Nissan. I should know, my motor came out of one. If you've got the money, and you like the car, do the conversion. It's something different. I've looked at those 929's before thinking about how nice they'd be with a 1UZ or a VH45.
big929
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Wed, 01 December 2004 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nudes wrote on Wed, 01 December 2004 17:24

why dont you sell the 929 (circa $10 - 12G) pocket the money needed fo the conversion ($12- 15G) and, worse case scenario, have $22G to spend on, oh i dont know...
-a modified 2J Supra
-a modified GTR
-2 cefiros
-2 GTsT's

the list goes on......

i was thinking the same thing today at work, i could buy my mums TT soarer for like 12k, thats a whole car! lol.

Putting a nissan engine in the mazda wouldnt be that hard, because any engine different from the stock one is going to need alot of custom work anyway, its just choosing the right base engine to start with the first time.

after adding up the pro's and con's, i probably wont go through with it, too expensive and wont add any value to the car at all, just more insurance/fuel costs. $12K is a good start towards a house.

Might just improve what i already have, port/polish, CAI, maybe some cam work.

thanks for your advice/help, but now i cant honestly say that it would be worth it. Maybe in a few years it will happen, so if u see a 929 with a big FMIC and a turbo the size of ur head, thats me lol.
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Wed, 01 December 2004 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok firstly, 3k for a 1uz halfcut is alot... in syd, you can get a crown halfcut for 2k... and that's the one that came with a seperate auto computer, so a manual conversion is easy...

also, the 20b has nothing on the 2jz in terms of torque.... rotor's don't have much torque... fact of life.... my 13b turbo sprinter has more power than my previous sr20det 180sx, but it had less torque....

as for the comparo between the 20b and a 2jz, well, i've driven 20b's quite a few times and sure, they're quick (plenty of kw) but they don't pull too well in terms of torque...
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Wed, 01 December 2004 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And here I wait patiently for the chance to snaffle up the donor 3litre KL-ZE to transplant into my mx3. 1.8L-3L.....
Yeah baby Shocked Very Happy
JAZE
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Wed, 01 December 2004 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
um, wiring the 1U up to the mazda is not going to be any different to wiring it into a toyota dude, your mechanic is full o'shit, u will have dash complications and also trip meter and cruise control if u have them but the wiring is just giving power to all the right bits and turnong the key ( i realize more complicated than that, but just summed up) and er, did your mechanic consider the 1500 or so for custom extractors to fit your car as the factory ones will most likely foul on something. Ur car is a cruiser, personally i love the shape of those 929 s they look like a stretched 4 door cosmo. but reworking the current motor is going to sét you back over a grand in gaskets and seals alone, before any labour or anything. i reckon you should just cruise and save fuel and cash and when u feel the urge buy a sports car for when u need it.
thats my 2c anyhu Smile
big929
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Wed, 01 December 2004 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwhelan wrote on Thu, 02 December 2004 08:00

And here I wait patiently for the chance to snaffle up the donor 3litre KL-ZE to transplant into my mx3. 1.8L-3L.....
Yeah baby Shocked Very Happy

lol, theres one at the wreckers just up the road from me in brisbane. My model is a HD i think.

JAZE - yeah i am now tending to agree with u on that, theres no real point of making a tank into a rocket, too much money and not worth the hassle. Even though it would be pretty original and one of not many in the world with it, its alot of money to dish out.

but just to satisfy my idea, how much do u rekon it would cost to put a 1UZ in it?

half cut $2k
exhaust/headers $1500??
custom tail shaft? $800????
lots of labour to make custom mounts, wiring etc.?
would it be possible to do it for around 6k?
do i need a piggy back ecu or not? cause i like cruise control Cool
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Wed, 01 December 2004 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
headers wont be that much... and the 1uz headers are tiny restrictive mothers... hard to find a car they wont fit i think... well, worse case scenario, you might have to modify the stock ones a little, best case, you buy one of those aftermarket ones off ebay for like 100 usd and have it shipped here and modified to fit for under 500 aud total....

tailshaft wont be that much... lengthening or shortening using the toyota bits should set you back 500 max... in the sprinter 13b conversion we did, it costed us 400 to customise our one piece tailshaft.

"sideshow" can be contacted on this forum... he can give you a specific answer on wiring (im guessing 6-700 max)

standard 1uz has cruise control, and im sure sideshow can tell you whether you can use it or not...

labour will cost you the most depending on how much you can do yourself.....

the whole 1uz conversion can be done for 6 grand if you do most of the work yourself.... heck, it can be even less depending on how good you are with a welder... always remember to budget a coupla extra k's just in case for emergencies.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Thu, 02 December 2004 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R-jay wrote on Thu, 02 December 2004 07:58

headers wont be that much... and the 1uz headers are tiny restrictive mothers... hard to find a car they wont fit i think...

MX73 Cressida.

Full custom tuned extractors will cost $1500-$2000.

Something to just clear the steering will cost about $800
big929
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Thu, 02 December 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R-jay wrote on Thu, 02 December 2004 10:58

labour will cost you the most depending on how much you can do yourself.....

the whole 1uz conversion can be done for 6 grand if you do most of the work yourself.... heck, it can be even less depending on how good you are with a welder... always remember to budget a coupla extra k's just in case for emergencies.

lets just say i suck at welding and wouldnt know where to start with a conversion, i work like 6 days a week so my labour input would be 0%, so about 8k is a pretty good estimate?

i was looking in an HPI mag, they had a 4door skyline vs Nissan Cima, the cima had a turbo v8 standard, so maybe one of those engines would be good? cause then u have the toughness/torque of the v8 and boost to go with it. Smile
R-jay
Regular

February 2003
Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Sun, 05 December 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as far as i know about cima's, they never came in v8... and if they did, nissan (like toyota) never FI charged their v8's...

the turbo cima uses either the old vg30(d)et or for the newer y33 series, the vq30det...
big929
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: Engine conversion for mazda 929? 1JZ, 2JZ or 1UZFE? Sun, 05 December 2004 23:08 Go to previous message
i think i might just leave my engine as it is, otherwise i will want to upgrade everything all the time.

might be better off buying a silvia and put some good suspension and small upgrade and use that as my drifter/race car Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18RG piston clearance
Next Topic:How much ower does the 3S-GTE give?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 13:49:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059680938720703 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.