Toymods » Tech & Conversions » F series diff and 5mge questions

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mx73_LuXoBarge
Regular

October 2002
icon5.gif  F series diff and 5mge questions Fri, 25 October 2002 06:22 Go to next message
HELP!! I need the transaxle code for the MA61 LSD (or from 4WD Lite Ace) ASAP. Doing the change on Wednesday and would much rather upgrade to LSD than keep it stock Crying or Very Sad

Also - Planning on ditching the 5mge anchor for a 7m-gte some time soon, any suggestions as to upgrades I could do between now and then to make life easier for the 7m?
ie - Brake upgrade, (hilux? Hiace? Part details?)
- Air filter (If there are any that fit both 5m and 7m, dont think so)
- Exhaust (ANY recommendations here are greatly appreciated as Im totally sick of the constrictive stock item. Also, would differing back pressure req. of both engines make an exhaust upgrade too big for 5m and too small for 7m)
- Any other suggestions on improvements that could help convert this old grandpa mobile into a yakuza staff cruiser? Skull - Mad

Cars are DEFINITELY not my strong point and any (constructive) advice is greatly appreciatted.

Thanks,
Andrew

Send a private message to this user    
hiaaa
Regular

May 2002
Re: F series diff and 5mge questions Fri, 25 October 2002 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Liteace diff code is F283 , 4.30 ratio, 2 pinions.

Cheers
Leon
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: F series diff and 5mge questions Fri, 25 October 2002 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My MA61 has an F293 code (4.1:1), AFAIK all auto Mk2's have this ratio. I think manuals have a 3.9:1, but I can't remember what the code for that one is.

A brake upgrade is strongly recommended for a 7M-GTE conversion, but unfortunately there are no easy upgrades for an MA61. Sad
Mx73_LuXoBarge
Regular

October 2002
icon10.gif  Re: F series diff and 5mge questions Fri, 25 October 2002 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the help guys! Very Happy I love how fast people are to respond in these forums Smile

Norbie - The transplant is to go into an MX73, not an MA61, does that change the availability of brake upgrades?
Also, the 5m is auto, but the 7m will be manual, so should I go 4 the 4.1:1 or the 3.9:1 Confused

Thanx heaps
Andrew
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: F series diff and 5mge questions Fri, 25 October 2002 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
- f seires 3.9:1 (or i have seen it as 3.7:1 but havent actually checked) is #F313
- taller ratio will probably be nicer with the more powerful engine, so if youve got a 3.9/3.7:1 then stick with it. if not, dont stress too much as its an upgarde you can do at any time.
- mx73 struts and hubs are exactly the same as the ma61 struts and hubs, so any problem with ma61 brakes is shared with the cressida. it can be done, but theres a good whack of machining and such for a full custom brake job. easy, but intensive.
- 2.75" mandrel bent exhaust

cheers
ed
0zwilly
Occasional Poster

June 2002

Re: F series diff and 5mge questions Tue, 29 October 2002 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dear mate,
I want to do a conversion like yours, but my car is a MX73. I just want to know the manual pedal box, which car did u source it from? btw, would it be a easy job to do?

cheers

Cheng
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: F series diff and 5mge questions Tue, 29 October 2002 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I just want to know the manual pedal box, which car did u source it from?

Hahahaha
have fun finding this stuff

i spent 6 months chasing bits to convert my mx73 from auto to man
this is wot i found
flywheel - crown 4me
box - any w series 5spd - and bellhousing to suit M block - once again, 4me crown is easiest
brake pedal - cut yours down
clutch pedal - VERY hard to find, celica is diff, never managed to look at a crown, but i found one from a GX-61 (woteva that is, a 1g-eu something-or-other) can anyone shed light??

slave cyl was new ($25 from odin's)
master cyl was from GX-61, but could prolly get new
clutch kit and spigot bearing new from coventrys (about 170ish)

and just got d/s lengthened

hmm, i dont think i left anything out

but a msg to anyone looking at this

DO IT, it is 500% worth it, car responds sooooo nicely now
yummm, manual 6m in a grandpa car,hhehehe
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: F series diff and 5mge questions Wed, 30 October 2002 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GX61 would be a Cressida, the one before yours.
0zwilly
Occasional Poster

June 2002

Re: F series diff and 5mge questions Wed, 30 October 2002 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
d/s lengthen?

u mean the one at the rear wheel, or the proper shaft(donno whether spelling right).....anyway, is it necessary to do in the way like this?

btw, I'm still wondering if the pedal box of GX60 are same or similar to G/MX73...

what about the engine and gearbox? did u source it from different places and that's why u need the bellhousing? (in my limited knowledge, bellhousing refers to the one in connecting the engine and gearbox, correct me if I'm wrong) what about to get the whole engine and gearbox together and drop them in at once? I'm worrying the size (like the length of 7MGE+manual and the 5M+auto) because I'm a beginner in engine swap that's why I want to have a simple swap...

I'm so glad to see pp modifying cressida!!

Cheers!! ^^
0zwilly
Occasional Poster

June 2002

Re: F series diff and 5mge questions Wed, 30 October 2002 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cressida supra, are u in Perth?

which wreckers do u usually go?
I just found that just toyota wreckers are the one with most avaliable parts here, but they charge as much as the toyota dealer... I keep look for parts of my car but I can't. just too rare...which wrecker do u recommend?

and to Mx73_LuXoBarge, are u going to change the whole diff. centre? or just the internals? it sounds a good job!!

long live cressida!!

Cheng
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: F series diff and 5mge questions Wed, 30 October 2002 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

GX61 would be a Cressida, the one before yours.

nah, model before mine was MX62 - so G would be GX62, not 61

toyota have other 'X' models. arent late model chasers and aristo's JZX80 and JZX90's (or there abouts)

i have a feeling the car was prolly an old skool chaser, or cresta. its the only one that i have ever seen, no cressida i've seen has a body shape like this one

Ozwilly,

i am i perth

yeah, the front section of the driveshaft (its a 2-piece) has the be lengthened, as toyota manual g/boxs are about 85mm shorter.
the pedal 'box' isnt really a box, all 3 pedals act independently. its just the clutch mount/pedal that u will need.
the gx61 clutch mount was slightly diff, but close enough

if u can find a manual cressida wrecking, get wot u need from that, but in my understanding, there are almost NO manual mx73s, and very few manual mx62's in australia.

also, finding a manual box from an M motor is almost impossible. most supras, cressidas and crowns were auto, so getting a manual b/housing is very hard. some of the older 4M crowns were manual, so thats an 'easier' find.

if u can find a 7mge + manual for a good price, get it.
but they all came from supra's, so u r charged and arm and leg.
the 7mgte has the R154 manual with it, which is too big for out tranny tunnels, but will fit with some modification from a big hammer.!!

on the wreckers, just toyota are good, as are a1 toyota.
for smaller bits, try SSS autoparts.

if u have any more questions, private email me

HTH
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: F series diff and 5mge questions Wed, 30 October 2002 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure of the revision number, but GX6(#) would be a Cressida chassis most likely.
A Chaser is a Cressida in Jap-Spec as far as I know so, I'd imagine the GX6(#) would be a Jap-Spec with the 2l engine they put in for tax reasons.
thunderbird1
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: F series diff and 5mge questions Thu, 31 October 2002 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anyone actually tryed fitting a MA61 Diff into a MX73 Cressida. I don't wanna know if u think it fits, i wanna know if anyone has actualy put on up there and put the bolts in! Smile

I'm looking at doing a brake upgrade now. Diff has to happen first though cause the old girl still stops ok, juts eats diffs for breakfast Wink

If your gonna put a 7mgte in it, use a 3inch exhaust, then email me a few years later when u wanna know how to put a 1J in it Wink HEHE.

Luke
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: F series diff and 5mge questions Thu, 31 October 2002 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWIW the Aristo chassis code is S... my front cut was a JZS147.
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: F series diff and 5mge questions Thu, 31 October 2002 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i wanna know if anyone has actualy put on up there and put the bolts in!

yeah, its fits - i'm 100%, i'm running an ma61 lsdiff in my mx73
the carrier housing is exactly the same, but the top mount is slightly differrent height, but that just unbolts and u bolt up your mx73 mount.
the other 8 bolts line up perfectly, as does the d/s and stub axels.

arent u running lsd already? if not, u mean your putting that much horsepower through an open centre?? damn thats gotta suck for takeoff!

if u want to upgrade the lsd strength, i've been led to believe that the liteace? 4wd lsd has the same size centres.
Mx73_LuXoBarge
Regular

October 2002
icon9.gif  Re: F series diff and 5mge questions Mon, 04 November 2002 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well after way too much looking, the only MA61 centre I could find was in Melbourne and they wanted $600 plus $100 for shipping to QLD.

I finished chewing out the old one and slapped in a replacement that I picked up for $150. Looks like when the new engine happens it'll have this diff for breakfast and Ill be forced to invest in LSD...

.......mmmmmm....LSD.....
Mx73_LuXoBarge
Regular

October 2002
icon3.gif  Re: F series diff and 5mge questions Mon, 04 November 2002 09:00 Go to previous message
Luke, there seems to be a lot of threads by fellow MX73 owners showing interest in how you went about your 1JZ conversion. Maybe some notes on this would be a welcome addition to the articles section Very Happy

I realize that you're probably way too busy, as most of us are, but I know that this contribution would be greatly appreciated and it would save you from being asked the same questions over and over..

just a thought Smile

Andrew
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:flow bench ...
Next Topic:6M Crank vibration !!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 30 19:12:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047228336334229 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.