Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
barbel
Regular

May 2002
GZE woes Sun, 28 November 2004 23:58 Go to next message
Guys i am having some trouble with a GZE
It seems to be spluttering when you gas it, i thinks its some fuel trouble. It seems to happen above 4000rpm, when i Mad accelerate under NA(no SC engaged) you can barely notice it, with the sc engaged it jerks a fair bit
It happened ( i think) when i tightened the SC belt and nipped up the earth for the injectors, i will recheck these tonight but i thought maybe some one could have some positive input before that.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 November 2004 00:02]

Send a private message to this user    
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: GZE woes Mon, 29 November 2004 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only trouble similar to what your explaining with the ZE is when i got a little water in the lead plugs in the head..what the hell were you doing near the injector plugs if you were tightening the sc belt?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: GZE woes Mon, 29 November 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like either timing or you have siezed the pulley bearing.
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: GZE woes Mon, 29 November 2004 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys wouldn't the water in leads give u trouble over the whole rev range.
ALso the pulley would make an awful noise if seized? A timing change would give you lost power over the whole rev range and only work well in one area?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: GZE woes Mon, 29 November 2004 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not if you cant set the timing advance because there is a vac leak so the idle hunts when you try. I had this for a few weeks because i had a huge leak and so the ecu kept idling up.
The timing advance changes as soon as you hit boost, so thats where your problem lies,
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: GZE woes Mon, 29 November 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The car idles perfect no hunting. So if the boost changes timing then i might be going out on the Knock sensor when i hit boost?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: GZE woes Mon, 29 November 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
barbel wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 07:58

and nipped up the earth for the injectors

Can you explain this better?
You don't earth injectors.
They are earth switched, unless the 4agze is different to every other motor out there?
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: GZE woes Mon, 29 November 2004 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is an earth for the ECU there by the injectors
Brown wires all 4ages have it, these give you grief for the injector firing. Don't the injectors work off a pulse which breaks the continuity?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: GZE woes Mon, 29 November 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
barbel wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 11:50

There is an earth for the ECU there by the injectors
Brown wires all 4ages have it, these give you grief for the injector firing. Don't the injectors work off a pulse which breaks the continuity?

All Toyota's I have worked on, give 12V IGN to the injectors, and the other side of the injectors are connected to the ECU.
The ECU then grounds internally, thus firing the injector.

I'd say what you have earth was not the injectors, but the ECU itself.

Either way, it sounds like its not the problem
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: GZE woes Mon, 29 November 2004 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
barbel wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 11:49

Guys wouldn't the water in leads give u trouble over the whole rev range.

well no not really..i could drive my car fine..but when it came on boost it sputtered and jerked..and i know it was water cos i was experimenting with water spray on my FMIC..the pump kinda squirted water EVERYWHERE!..after running it for a bit..pulling the plugs off and blowing it out with a bit of compressed air she was perfect!..can be something as simple as that..
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: GZE woes Mon, 29 November 2004 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK so its the earth for the ECU, this isn't the problem?
Any other ideas, i could swear that it is fuel related
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: GZE woes Mon, 29 November 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your concerned it's fuel related...what sort of fuel are you running? put some av gas in her..then see how she runs! (they love it!) maybe check your fuel reg and check the plug gaps.. check your leads also..it may not be water..but if there is a crak in one you'll know about it..
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: GZE woes Mon, 29 November 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a simular prob with my 3sgte. does the car go ok or not so bad when it's colder?? mine use to cut out and stutter under load (1/2 throttle or more), more evident when the car is warmer. i had a suspision it was the leads. brought new ones and it is 100% now. check the resistance in ur leads.
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: GZE woes Mon, 29 November 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK i will check for spark problems.
I checked the diagnostics and it spat error code 21 Oxygen sensor signal; but it has an asterisk in the book(toyota) which says it airflow meter model only. Whats the go with that asterisk?
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: GZE woes Mon, 29 November 2004 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where can i get leads for this motor? If it is a spark problem wouldn't i get black smoke coming from the exhaust,incomplete combustion

[Updated on: Mon, 29 November 2004 10:46]

barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: GZE woes Mon, 29 November 2004 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STill no luck, i will get new plugs today and install.
If you pay attention when accelerating slowly you can feel a slight miss, my old Mazda (carby) use to do this when the fuel filter was due for replacement. I haven't experienced this with a injected car yet, has anybody felt missing due to the fuel filter?
I checked the O2 sensor heater circuit and it has continuity and low resistance seems ok. It says that the signal HT is fed from the efi main relay, is this correct?Could it be a relay fault? ALso would a bad spark make the O2 fault?
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: GZE woes Tue, 30 November 2004 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unplug your O2 sensor and try it, replace your fuel filter (precaution) at least you can rule out things as you go..did you get new leads? if not pick up some silicon spray and cover them with as much of it as humanly possible..if this works it's your leads..the silicon spray will only work for a while but it will give you a chance to check..a new set of leads would be ideal..but if you can't find them...
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: GZE woes Tue, 30 November 2004 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it sounds like it could be that the plug gaps are too big to me. . .
the fact that it does it most prominant when on boost at around 4000 ( peak torque period ), the spark could be getting blown out.. . .
either plug gaps or ignition system is weak would be my thoughts.
good luck.
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: GZE woes Tue, 30 November 2004 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yesterday afternoon in the blisteing heat the car ran well without a hickup for some reason and this morning was back to normal. I am starting to think that it may be a spark problem.
I should of got the new plugs yeaterday instead of thinking it fixed itself.Thanks for the silicon spray tip i will try if no luck with plugs.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: GZE woes Tue, 30 November 2004 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This probably wont help
but i had the EXACT same problem with my 1jz
When I first got it, give it any sort of harsh throttle and it would lose all power for a sec in high revs and then get it back and hick up like that
I think it may have been an injector problem.. I just kept doing it.. and it went away
So I know thats not helpful.. but i wanted to share Smile
Helly_Hanson
Newcomer

December 2004
Re: GZE woes Wed, 01 December 2004 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check your igniter...try replacing that.
VB gze
Regular

January 2003
Re: GZE woes Wed, 01 December 2004 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like the injectors not firing correctly

[Updated on: Wed, 01 December 2004 21:56]

barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: GZE woes Wed, 01 December 2004 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I put in new plugs last night car is a little smoother off boost, but still not right. I checked the lead with a multimeter and all are under 10Mohms, i also wiggled them around when checking to see if they were broken. There is no sign of tracking from a rouge spark either. I checked the coils and the resistance between the + and - is about 3.8 ohms, i couldn't get anything on the secondary winding but that was the same on all four, normally you should get something in the kohm range on the secondary, right? ARe the coils different to normal?
How can i check the igniter, after a run i check it and there is no heat in it. This is a good sign right? Normally when i have had failed ignitors they either work or don't at worst they cut out when hot? I would get a signal from the ecu saying it woudl be the IGT signal if it was faulty?
Could it be dodgy fuel, i will change the filter tonight and see what happens maybe tommorrow i will have the injectors cleaned? I checked the resistance of the injectors and it seems to be about 4 ohms is this right?
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: GZE woes Thu, 02 December 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I spoke to a mechanic today and he said the leads might be stuffed at the insulators. Has any heard of this before?
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: GZE woes Thu, 02 December 2004 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude I had this problem with my Jap spec GZE. It needs 98 octane to run well. In an emergency I ad to put some Caltex Vortex (shit!) in and as soon I did I was getting your exact problem. As soon as I went from Vacuum to Boost it would jerk and splutter.

My fix: flush as much of the fuel out as possible. Fill her up with Synergy 8000 or BP ultimate. Drive around for an hour or so and she should run fine again (might take until the next day)

Good luck and try this before listening to any mechanics' waffle.
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: GZE woes Thu, 02 December 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i checked the leads at the insulators and no prob there just for safe measure i taped the insulators up and sprayed everything with silicone spray, still the same shit.
I had to fil up today so stuck some optimax ( the usual) in and see what happens, i think i might get the injectors cleaned and put in a new fuel filter any way?Maybe even some octane booster for good measure?
I've given up on the spark situation for now, the other interesting thing is that it is throwing error code 21 from the diagnostics, oxygen sensor? Could that be from running lean or something?
This is begining to give me the shits. Mad
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: GZE woes Thu, 02 December 2004 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that would have been my next suggestion..the bp down the road from me closed the morning i really needed fuel..had to use some straight av gas to get to the nearest shell 4 suburbs away..SHE WENT LIKE A ROCKET!!!
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: GZE woes Thu, 02 December 2004 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where did you get the av gas from?
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: GZE woes Thu, 02 December 2004 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doesn't the avgas fark the catalytic converter?
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: GZE woes Sun, 05 December 2004 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like the clean injectors improved the problem dramatically, have got some octane booster for next fill. I think it was a combination of dirty fuel and blocked injectors
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: GZE woes Mon, 06 December 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good to hear its fixed
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: GZE woes Mon, 06 December 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
barbel wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 08:52

Doesn't the avgas fark the catalytic converter?

yes ... and without a proper cams permit, you can't buy it for non aero use.
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: GZE woes Mon, 06 December 2004 08:22 Go to previous message
he he non aero-use...my mate uses it in his drift pig, i'm sure some of you have seen it around..Option1Garage sponsored S13, blue, basicly D1 spec, it runs on av gas, he has 3-4 jerrycans of it at any givin time! (it uses alot of juice!)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Tuning Question
Next Topic:Toyota Electronic Parts Catalogue (EPC) for download
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 01:05:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070099830627441 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.