Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
crazymax
Regular

October 2003
tyre wear problems Thu, 02 December 2004 01:29 Go to next message
Im having trouble with the tyres on my corolla waering really fast on the rear. now i mean i just got two new tyres for the back yesturday after only buying the previous pair about 10 months ago.
These tyres were on the front for about 2 months b4 getting moved to the back. the tyres were warn completely even across the face. so this rules out (so i have been told buy 3 different tyre places now) that i need a wheel alignment or they are under or over inflated. Now i know what u are thinking. STOP DOING HAND BRAKIES!!! Evil or Very Mad this car is my everyday run about. not a thrasher.

Has anyone had this problem b4? after talking to sum ppl i thought it maybe that the brakes are just catching a little or even the hand brake? or a suspension problem. it is lowered with 17" wheels though they dont rub anywere.
any help would be great..

nick
  Send a private message to this user    
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: tyre wear problems Thu, 02 December 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll need to explain some more details.

eg
What kind of tyres
How did they wear
Have you got a pic of the worn tyres
Is the car aligned properly

Etc.
crazymax
Regular

October 2003
Re: tyre wear problems Thu, 02 December 2004 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so the tyres are 205/40 17's. handkock ventus sports. and as i said they wear completley evenly across the face. like slicks after 10 months of driving. i probably did about 10 000 kms on them. of just town driving and the car had a wheel allingment yesturday. tyre place said they where spot on. they dont know why this maybe happening.
very strange they say.

i'll try and get a pic
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: tyre wear problems Thu, 02 December 2004 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some "Handcocks" wear out quickly but you should get at least 20 to 25 000 kms out of them. A workmate with these on his 1700kg BA XR8 is just starting to get some wear on the outside edges after 17 000kms, but he likes the corners but goes fairly easy on the straights.
Given that the alignment is OK, the inflation is OK, and you are not doing 'handbrakies' I would say that the burnout fairies are stealing your back tyres after you fall asleep at night, doing fooly sic burnouts past the cops until dawn, and returning your tyres just before you wake up......
Laughing
crazymax
Regular

October 2003
Re: tyre wear problems Thu, 02 December 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah theven little bastureds. haha
so what about the brakes grabbing just a little. could this be possible?? as in the pads and just touching the disks slightly and draging the tyres? sounds like a long shot. but ive got no where else to go.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: tyre wear problems Thu, 02 December 2004 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It won't have anything to do with your brakes, it will have more to do with tyre compound and conditions they see over extreme use. What is their tread wear indicator number?
crazymax
Regular

October 2003
Re: tyre wear problems Sun, 05 December 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG wrote on Thu, 02 December 2004 18:30

What is their tread wear indicator number?

where would i find that?
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: tyre wear problems Mon, 06 December 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crazymax wrote on Thu, 02 December 2004 18:13

yeah theven little bastureds. haha
so what about the brakes grabbing just a little. could this be possible?? as in the pads and just touching the disks slightly and draging the tyres? sounds like a long shot. but ive got no where else to go.

If your brakes where dragging, You'd be in hear saying how your rims are always covered in brake dust, and how you are continously replacing brake pads and disks...

What sort of stuff do you carry in the boot? Is there a lot of weight in the back all the time?
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: tyre wear problems Mon, 06 December 2004 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kyosho wrote on Mon, 06 December 2004 14:34[/quote

What sort of stuff do you carry in the boot? Is there a lot of weight in the back all the time?

this is what i was thinking too. how much weight are u carrying? do u have a rather large stereo system?? Razz
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: tyre wear problems Mon, 06 December 2004 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Treadwear indictor number can be found on the tyre sidewall, though some tyres don't give that info either?!
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: tyre wear problems Mon, 06 December 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You might want to take it to another place and get a full alignment done - your current place might just be checking camber and thrust direction, without checking toe.

I know it's a bit of a long shot, but it sounds like there aren't many alternatives. If toe was out you'd be scrubbing through tires quickly and evenly like you describe. Do you have a full printout of your alignment reading you can post up?

BTW, good alignment places are VERY tricky to find. There is only one that I trust personally. If done properly, a full wheel alignment should take 1-2 hours - this includes readings at zero degrees, as well as plus and minus 10 degrees.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 December 2004 09:53]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: tyre wear problems Mon, 06 December 2004 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it something to do with toe changing because of a buggered bush etc.? Good suspension people are a bit rare, 98% of them truly are crap...
crazymax
Regular

October 2003
Re: tyre wear problems Mon, 06 December 2004 22:34 Go to previous message
Kyosho: yeah i didnt think of that. my pads where replaced about 10 months ago now and they seem fine. and very very little brake dust from what i can see. no nosies either.
my stereo is only a simple one. 1 12' sub, amp and box. other then that ive got a few tools. i'd guess between 20-40kg maybe in the boot...

CLG: cant find that number. but i might ring the place where i got them from and see if they can tell me.

joorsh: i thought of that. im gonna book in at another place and get a full read out.( i'll post it when i get it) i originaly went to brigdestone. then i got some cheap tyres from kmart (i know. cheap and nasty, but they only fitted em, then back to brigdestone for allignment) they said it was spot on. but as u said. they only had the car for 1 hour. i asked them about oe in. they said it was fine.

mrshin: i'll go and get all my bushes checked and see if thats the poblem too.

thanx for ur help fellas. im really stumped on this one. and so is everyone else ive asked.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what is the tool that measure PCD call???
Next Topic:1jz cressida help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 10:26:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052180290222168 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.