Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Blah_00
Regular

December 2004
3S-FE and 3S-GEs Fri, 03 December 2004 07:42 Go to next message
Hi, I don't know if this is where I post or whatever, but I just joined this forum just wondering...what is the difference between the 3S-FE and 3S-GE...? I've heard the GE is a fairly good engine...and I was just wondering, I've heard that all it is is a different head...would this be true or? well...if anyone feels helpful, can they let me know the differences and stuff betweent the engines? thanks. Smiley =
-rob! <><
  Send a private message to this user    
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 3S-FE and 3S-GEs Fri, 03 December 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes the only difference between these engines is the head. The GE's came with a more sporty cam setup to get the extra power. Apart from that they are pretty much identical, same block, engine capacity, engine mounts and boltup gearboxes.
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3S-FE and 3S-GEs Fri, 03 December 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's similar blocks but it's not the same to the point where you can put a GE head on a FE block.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 3S-FE and 3S-GEs Fri, 03 December 2004 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that'll teach me, i haven't worked with any FE's. GE and GTE all the way.
Blah_00
Regular

December 2004
Re: 3S-FE and 3S-GEs Fri, 03 December 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool....thanks a lot...that's sorta helped...just wondering...would it be really hard to replace an FE head with a GE head...? or is it not worth the bother...? Coz my head's messed up and so I'm just wondering if I can use this as an excuse to do something with it...so yeah...thanks for your help.
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 3S-FE and 3S-GEs Fri, 03 December 2004 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can replace the head, it bolts straight on, however I personally don't think its worth your while, you would then have to change the following:-

1. wiring harness
2. ECU
3. inlet and outlet manifold
4. exhaust

just to name a few

what sort of car is it?
Blah_00
Regular

December 2004
Re: 3S-FE and 3S-GEs Fri, 03 December 2004 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's a 1991 Celica...but it's had a reconditioned engine put back a while ago...now the head's starting to go...so I was just wondering...thanks for that...you guys are pretty helpful...coz this is only my first car and I'm not loaded with money...plus I'm only 19...so I didn't wanna muck around with turbos or anything yet...seems like a lot of hassle...so yeah...but I was thinking I might just stick with this for now and then just get a half cut 3S-GTE...? would that work...ha ha...I don't know very much...but thanks for your help. Possibly just focus on handling while I'm waiting...I dunno man...we'll see...

By the way...is the 3S-FE any good?
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3S-FE and 3S-GEs Fri, 03 December 2004 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do a search on this topic. It's not as simple as a bolt on mod as confirmed by Toyota Australia.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 3S-FE and 3S-GEs Fri, 03 December 2004 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FE uses scissor gears to move the second camshaft while the ge uses the timing belt from the crank to rotate BOTH the camshafts. I've heard mechanics look at a 3sfe and say its not a real twin cam and thats what they're referring to. using the timing belt to rotate both the camshafts gives more power.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 December 2004 20:37]

warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 3S-FE and 3S-GEs Fri, 03 December 2004 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you have a 1991 Celica the engine in your car is a 2.2 litre 5SFE. the 3SFE is the 2.0 litre version. your best bet is to sell your car and buy a ST185 GT4, by the time you finish the conversion to a 3SGTE it would have cost you more than than a GT4.

good luck
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3S-FE and 3S-GEs Mon, 06 December 2004 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dunno how much u think it is for a stock conversion Razz
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: 3S-FE and 3S-GEs Mon, 06 December 2004 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i'll agree it not that much man and shit much easier to fix ona gt-2 than a gt-4 and it faster.... Evil or Very Mad

Nezza Surprised
Blah_00
Regular

December 2004
Re: 3S-FE and 3S-GEs Mon, 06 December 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jus to clear stuff up...yeah...I know usually the St184s came with the 5S-FE...but mine got a reconditioned 3S-FE put in...like...after the 5S got old..so yeah...that's why I was just wondering what I could do with it...but thanks for your help!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3S-FE and 3S-GEs Mon, 06 December 2004 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Do a search on this topic. It's not as simple as a bolt on mod as confirmed by Toyota Australia.
Which explains why I have a 1st Gen 3S-GE head bolted on to a 1992 5S block at the moment in my shed.

However, it's obviously not quite that simple Smile There the intake manifold and all that stuff that needs to be sorted out as well.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: 3S-FE and 3S-GEs Mon, 06 December 2004 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you replaced the 5sfe with a 3sfe?If im not mistaken, that is going right against RTAs. Engine is older than car? Might wanna check on that one buddy
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 3S-FE and 3S-GEs Mon, 06 December 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's only a bad thing to do if the engine is older... it could have been newer.. maybe!
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3S-FE and 3S-GEs Tue, 07 December 2004 01:26 Go to previous message
StuC wrote on Tue, 07 December 2004 09:22

Engine is older than car? Might wanna check on that one buddy

Might not be older as the 3SFE came out in the RAV4 up to 1999 or 2000.

Cheers
T.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:obscure 1j conversions-dump pipes/problems?
Next Topic:Old skool - holden 186 and push rods/rocker Q's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 01:00:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.077329158782959 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.