Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » HELP - engine overheating + coolant/radiator problem

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
HELP - engine overheating + coolant/radiator problem Tue, 07 December 2004 14:24 Go to next message
Was driving to Blacktown today from Berala and I noticed near Blacktown station that the car was making a strange noise. It sounded bubbly kind of like the noise of bubbles in a fish tank. It was pretty quiet but I didn't have any music on so I heard it. I stopped at Maccas on Sunnyholt Rd and popped the hood.
Attatched to the part that contains the coolant is some kind of tube and smoke/steam was coming from it and it was really hot under the hood. The radiator was also really hot to touch. I looked back where I had driven the car and for a few metres coolant was leaking on the ground (could tell this from the green colour). I waited about 10 minutes for my mates to get some water.
I didn't know what I was doing but I got my mate to open the radiator lid and hot steamy water burst out. I'm talking volcano-like errupted. Probably waited another 20 minutes before we put some coolant in (a bit more than 3/4 full). I forgot about adding water to the radiator.

Got to Burwood and stopped there and as I was slowing down I heard the bubbly noise come back, this time even louder. Again it was really hot under there but at least this time there was no smoke and steam coming from it.

This was all totally random as this has NEVER happened before and the last time it was driven was a few days ago with my whole family in the car so it wasn't thrashed or anything.

Anyone know what happened? Confused

EDIT: Car is a 1990 Corolla CSX 16v SR Twincam AE92
It says 4A/T .. I assume it's a 4AC?

[Updated on: Tue, 07 December 2004 14:31]

Send a private message to this user    
fractoid
Regular

September 2004
Re: HELP - engine overheating + coolant/radiator problem Tue, 07 December 2004 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your car was too hot. Chances are the cooling system is broken. Check belts, water pump etc. Open the radiator (when the car is cold) and start it up. Make sure that there is coolant moving in the radiator - this will let you know that your water pump is OK, at least. (note: wait for the engine to warm up, with the radiator cap off, before panicking. The thermostat stops coolant flow when the engine is under temperature.)

Check your oil. If it's creamy, coffee-looking stuff instead of clear oil-looking stuff, it's got water in it and you've got a blown head gasket or similar. Even if it's not, get a compression test done - this will tell you if your coolant is disappearing somewhere inside your engine and coming out your exhaust.

Finally, was it a very very hot day? Did you have aircon on? It's remotely possible that your radiator is just old and gummed up, and not running at maximum efficiency. It'd have to be really bad to cause the symptoms you're describing, though.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: HELP - engine overheating + coolant/radiator problem Wed, 08 December 2004 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks very much for the help. It wasn't a hot day at all, in fact I drove it at night and there was mild rain for about 15 minutes.
Thanks very much, the help is greatly appreciated.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: HELP - engine overheating + coolant/radiator problem Wed, 08 December 2004 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it happens again... put your heater on... it vents all of the hot air straight out of the engine bay... unfortunately it blows into your car but you will see the temperature dropping by the second.
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: HELP - engine overheating + coolant/radiator problem Thu, 09 December 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

i thought the radiator cap said "warning do not touch when hot"
volcano erruption indeed Laughing its how the cooling system
works - under pressure...

well its happened to me too cos i was in a mad rush and i
had to get going but i knew what would happen so i crouched down and protected myself and whoosh... then some pepper, 3L of
sprite slowly, 5 min and away we go

well your cooling system isnt working obviously,

order to check it in for most cars

low coolant level
belt loose / snapped (only if it belt driven)
hoses perished leaking
radiator leaking
thermostat stuffed
waterpump stuffed
gaskets broken
head cracked

from what you have said i would say you have a perished
hose somewhere - they usually crack near the clamps
fill the coolant, get car warm and wriggle hoses a little to check

in an emergency yeah your heater inside the car is a mini
radiator which is part of the system too and can be used
to bring temps down temporarily

dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: HELP - engine overheating + coolant/radiator problem Thu, 09 December 2004 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
styler wrote on Thu, 09 December 2004 13:14

yeh, that's a big problem with the older rolla's, check all your hoses, especially those linked with the cooling system
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: HELP - engine overheating + coolant/radiator problem Thu, 09 December 2004 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
79rollaboy wrote on Thu, 09 December 2004 06:56

If it happens again... put your heater on... it vents all of the hot air straight out of the engine bay... unfortunately it blows into your car but you will see the temperature dropping by the second.

This is incorrect. Turning the heater on allows hot coolant to pass through the heat exchanger under your dash and air drawn in through the vents near the firewall flows through the exchanger and into the car.

This has a marginal effect on the coolant temperature (if the engine is overheating, as it is essentially a small radiator) but has nothing to do with the hot air trapped in the engine bay.

Definitely do a compression test, and if possible a coolant system pressure test, if all is ok, flush the radiator, if not you most likely have a BHG.....
fractoid
Regular

September 2004
Re: HELP - engine overheating + coolant/radiator problem Thu, 09 December 2004 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
styler wrote on Thu, 09 December 2004 10:14

I'd have to disagree - perished hose can cause overheating (it's happened to me too) but is unlikely to give the symptoms thu187's describing. Remember the volcano? Any leak in the cooling system would be either venting steam (and letting off pressure, making a 'pshhhhh' noise, and meaning the radiator wouldn't go fooosh when opened) or squirting liquid out. We had a hose crack on our old Corona back when I was a kid and we got a 3m geyser of koolaid when we opened the bonnet, somewhat hard to miss something like that. Either way you wouldn't get a geyser from the radiator cap unless it's a very small leak. Check for drips under the car when running normally.

Otherwise I'm with SilverGhost, get compression and coolant pressure tests done, then if they come back good, get your radiator cleaned/recored.
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: HELP - engine overheating + coolant/radiator problem Thu, 09 December 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thu187 wrote on Wed, 08 December 2004 01:24

I looked back where I had driven the car and for a few metres coolant was leaking on the ground (could tell this from the green colour).

Again it was really hot under there but at least this time there was no smoke and steam coming from it.

This was all totally random as this has NEVER happened before

it wasn't thrashed or anything.

green coolant on ground......hmmm sounds like a hose / radiator leak to me

one problem can cause more problems so it can be a bit
of a mixed bag... eg low coolant, overheats, leaks...
just check it all out Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 09 December 2004 11:38]

fractoid
Regular

September 2004
Re: HELP - engine overheating + coolant/radiator problem Thu, 09 December 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, could be a bit of everything... I guess a small leak would allow it to keep pressure while still slowly running out of coolant. I just assumed that the leakage was from the overflow bottle - that's what my car used to do when it had a bhg.
biggo
Regular

November 2004
icon4.gif  Re: HELP - engine overheating + coolant/radiator problem Fri, 10 December 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ATTENTION:

What ever happens do not let your motor over heat. It cost me $800 for a rebuild ($1000 with recored radiator) and of course I relised AFTER that a 4age would have been a cheaper option. Of course, it could be your intention to kill it and put a gze or even better a gte or maybe even a gttzze........*dreams* Rolling Eyes
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: HELP - engine overheating + coolant/radiator problem Sat, 11 December 2004 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK well I put some coolant in there and topped up the radiator water. I couldn't get under the car to find the drain plug for either of these though.
I noticed before that the oil indicator (the little tap dripping icon) was coming up every now and then when I braked or turn the steering wheel a lot. I checked to see how full the oil was and guess what? It wasn't even on the scale. In fact none of it even touched the stick.
I topped it up sooo much. The car has been really badly taken care of by my dad. However now with more braking fluid added and a proper amount of engine oil everything seems to be in working order.

Do you think it'll stay OK or should I do compression tests etc.?
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: HELP - engine overheating + coolant/radiator problem Sat, 11 December 2004 04:15 Go to previous message
styler wrote on Thu, 09 December 2004 13:14

i thought the radiator cap said "warning do not touch when hot"
volcano erruption indeed Laughing its how the cooling system
works - under pressure...

I was in a mad rush to get home as well. LOL yeah it does say that, which is why I stood back and volunteered my mate to be the one who opened it! Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Celsior/LS400 towbar part number?
Next Topic:legalities of BOV
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 07:06:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.008878231048584 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.