Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
greenmeanie
Newcomer

January 2004
ke11 disc brake conversion Fri, 16 January 2004 01:35 Go to next message
Hi,
I recently puchased a 1970 ke11 corolla with a 4KC motor and 4speed box for $100. Nothing wrong with the car except the brakes could be a bit better, so I was looking to upgrade the braking by doing a disc brake front end conversion using local parts. I've got plenty of advice from well intentioned people who think they know what will fit. I'd like to hear from anyone out there who has actually done this conversion, what parts they used and any problems encountered.
Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Fri, 16 January 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
use ke20 hubs, discs, calipers and backing plates and it bolts onto the ke10 strut

if you need bigger then you can use ke70 discs and calipers (and mounts) as well, it all bolts up but you need the ke20 hubs

ab
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Fri, 16 January 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greenmeanie wrote on Fri, 16 January 2004 12:35

I've got plenty of advice from well intentioned people who think they know what will fit. I'd like to hear from anyone out there who has actually done this conversion, what parts they used and any problems encountered.
Thanks

so what was their advice??

i have a KE15, and it has had front drums, KE15 200mm discs, KE20 200mm discs, KE30 218mm discs, and now has KE70 218mm discs.

all were with matching calipers, and backing plates, and all were on KE15/KE20 hubs.

use the backing plate, disc and caliper from the same car to be sure, and use KE15/KE20 hub.

my KE70 backing plates (the dust guard part) fouled slightly on the steering knuckle at the tierod end, but you can beat/cut this bit out no probs.
Cya, Stewart
greenmeanie
Newcomer

January 2004
Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Sun, 01 February 2004 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the advice ive had has ranged from "ke30 struts will bolt straight in, use a bigger wheel cylinder and/or brakes at the rear wheels as the seals will blow out, and fit a brake booster and later model master cylinder" to "bring the car in and leave it with us for 2 weks, we don't give out that info. as it hurts our business."
looks like i'll use the ke20 hub, ke70 disc, caliper and backing plate. do i need to upgrade any part of the rear brakes, the master cylinder or fit a brake booster? I'll only be running the 4K-C motor in this beast.

thanks
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Sun, 01 February 2004 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greenmeanie wrote on Sun, 01 February 2004 14:06

the advice ive had has ranged from "ke30 struts will bolt straight in

untrue!

ab
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Sun, 01 February 2004 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on this subject anyone seen bigger on a ke10 before? i need decent size brakes so i can get my 4agte passed. most most possible options that i have found so far are celica and sprinter struts but arent happy with the size of the discs on them.
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Sun, 01 February 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
faulksy, I have pretty much finished my upgrade, just gotta finish the rest of the car now Sad

The conversion is basically using a mixture of OEM parts and a little bit of machining. I am slowly writing it all up to make things easier.

The result is 262mm ventilated rotors gripped by four pot volvo calipers. I am going to use 13" mags off an early RX7 plus additional 5mm wheel spacers to get the mags to fit over the combination. You could probably get new mags with the correct offset but I dont have that sort of money to spend on mags.

I know Stewart has been patient with me, when I have finished the documentation I can send it to you if you like.

Cheers,
Tyron.
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Sun, 01 February 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me too Smile
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Sun, 01 February 2004 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
definitely. once the brakes are done then the rest of the conversion is rock n roll
syncro
Regular

October 2004
Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Sun, 05 December 2004 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i ripped the brakes off my ke70 today, disks,callipers and backing plates, then i ripped off one of my ke 11 front drums and the ke70 backing plates dont bolt up to the ke11 strut!

the bolts in the ke11 strut for the drum backing plate have a 12mm head and are equally spaced apart like wheel studs

the ke70 backing plate bolts are unequally spaced and have 14mm head bolts

im going to get some ke30 or ke55 backing plates tomorrow morning at the wreckers but if they are the same ill have to weld and redrill my ke70 ones.
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Sun, 05 December 2004 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can use ke30 onwards backing plates as they have the correct spacing

yes the holes are a different size, have you thought about re-tapping the strut?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Sun, 05 December 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
syncro wrote on Sun, 05 December 2004 21:49

i ripped the brakes off my ke70 today, disks,callipers and backing plates, then i ripped off one of my ke 11 front drums and the ke70 backing plates dont bolt up to the ke11 strut!

the bolts in the ke11 strut for the drum backing plate have a 12mm head and are equally spaced apart like wheel studs

the ke70 backing plate bolts are unequally spaced and have 14mm head bolts

im going to get some ke30 or ke55 backing plates tomorrow morning at the wreckers but if they are the same ill have to weld and redrill my ke70 ones.

there are some KE70 ones that DO bolt up (i have them, and i pulled them off the car at the wreckers). i believe they are a SEA (south east asia) variant. they have the long thin pads.
KE10's also have two sizes of bolts holding both the strut to steerign arm, and backing plate to strut..
KE30/55 have the square pattern.. let me know if the KE70 calipers bolt to the KE30 backing plate..

i got some KE70 wagon ones to try, forgetting that they have a larger disc Wink, but the difference seemed to be in the caliper to backing plate bracket (these were square pad ones).

Cya, Stewart
lexan
Newcomer

December 2004
Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Sun, 05 December 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
earlyrolla
any news on those details
what was the cost of it all
syncro
Regular

October 2004
Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Sun, 05 December 2004 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the ke20 disk brake hubs cost me 30 bucks and i had the brakes off my last ke70 that im wrecking but i dont think they would cost too much to buy from a wreckers yard.

i had a look at the backing plate again this morning and two of the bolt holes line up so im just going to weld and redrill the other two.
syncro
Regular

October 2004
Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Tue, 07 December 2004 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i ended up welding and redrilling the holes in the ke70 backing plates and bolting them to the struts, then i bolted the ke70 disks to the ke20 hubs and fitted them to the ke11 strut, when i tried to fit the k70 (girlock) callipers they would not fit between the inside of the disk and the backing plates.
if you machined about 4 mm from the mounting face of the disk to move it further from the calliper plate then id say it would all bolt together, what i had to do (as i didnt have access to a lathe) was cut and reweld the backing platesto move the calliper further in, i had to grind a pice off the calliper cage too to clear the strut.

i didnt get some ke30/55 backing plates so these might bolt up!

the ke70 brakes are a big improvement over the drums but for the time i spent f*ck a*seing about with mine i could have put bmw 325 260mm brake disks on with some celica st162 callipers and changed to 14 inch wheels (i did this to my ke35 coupe and it worked very well), i plan on fitting ma61 supra wheels in the next few weeks anyway as soon as i get a nissan pintara rear end shortened and my borg warner lsd fitted.
bassy
Regular

July 2004
Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Tue, 07 December 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can you go into more detail about the bmw discs on the ke35 please?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Tue, 07 December 2004 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unless i'm mistaken, BMW E30 series 260mm vented discs.. the hole is 2mm larger than the KE's hub, so either needs a spacer (1mm thick! too thin...) or to weld and machine the disc so it fits snugly on the hub...
GEM13B
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Wed, 08 December 2004 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so do any of these definatley fit? as the stockie drumbs dont really slow down a 12a turbo Very Happy
what would be the easies conversion with the least mucking around???
cheers
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Wed, 08 December 2004 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KE20 and KE30 definitely fit.. better to use KE20 hubs with any of the easy brake swaps tho as you keep the stud pattern.

some KE70 DO bolt across (mine definitely did) but you need to get a backing plate with a square bolt pattern, not the offset one that is on most KE70's...

syncro
Regular

October 2004
Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Thu, 09 December 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the bmw centre hole was not the right size but i have used vw golf rallye front disks on my ae86 and they were the right centre bore i used bmw 325i front callipers with them to get280mm front brakes. the golf disks are available in 239x20mm, 256x20mm and 280x22mm sizes and you can get a 305x28mm one too from the seat ibiza cupra R
Fatterthanyamumma
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Wed, 02 March 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forget it and stick with your drums if you're gonna stock rosk and roll.. the brakes will surely cost you more than the car.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Wed, 02 March 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fatterthanyamumma wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 15:49

Forget it and stick with your drums if you're gonna stock rosk and roll.. the brakes will surely cost you more than the car.

what are you trying to say?
Fatterthanyamumma
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: ke11 disc brake conversion Wed, 02 March 2005 05:28 Go to previous message
That I bought/located all the parts for this conversions and in the end thought: far kit. Considering the guy was staying bog stock.. the go would to work with what you have. But, then again the car's now sold.

I still have the conversion kit complete with fresh disks and pads etc. will get round to putting it up on here for all the "how do you do that's?' out there.

Anyway.. back to the pick, the sickel and the shovel.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:7MGE misfire
Next Topic:MK2 Supra Cam timing
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:02:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054128170013428 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.