Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Air Filter Problem Mon, 06 December 2004 23:19 Go to next message
g'day,
i have a MA61 with a 5ME and i changed the stock air filter to have to replaced with a Pod filter, but for some reason the car now idles at around 500 which is around 200-300 rpm less than normal... WTF is going on ?
  Send a private message to this user    
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Air Filter Problem Tue, 07 December 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone got any idea ??
joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
Re: Air Filter Problem Tue, 07 December 2004 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the different filter must be changing the flow of air going through the air flow meter, changing the amount of fuel it's using blah blah. basically you can't do much about it. it shouldn't be a problem as long as it still drives the same way. does it miss and fart or anything?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Air Filter Problem Tue, 07 December 2004 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFM is closed at idle isn't it?
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Air Filter Problem Tue, 07 December 2004 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFM is slightly open at idle....if it was fully closed the computer would not get any data regarding air flow...

If anything a removal of the filter box's restriction should make the car idle a bit higher....

Is it possible that the AFM was damaged when you removed it from the airbox?? if not the only thing i can suggest is adjust your idle speed setting to compensate, that is if your car has no driveability issues...
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Air Filter Problem Tue, 07 December 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess the idle bypass screw adjusts just how much the AFM is open at idle then huh.

Learn something new every day on Toymods!
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Air Filter Problem Tue, 07 December 2004 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think it has anything to do with the vane, rather, I think it allows a certain amount of air to bypass the vane, without being measured. Thats from memory of a cursory look at one a while back, though.
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Air Filter Problem Tue, 07 December 2004 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Tue, 07 December 2004 13:35

I guess the idle bypass screw adjusts just how much the AFM is open at idle then huh.

Indirectly, but essentially correct...if you adjust the Idle bypass the change in airflow will affect the AFM
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Air Filter Problem Wed, 08 December 2004 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea i would have thought the idle would have gone up aswell, i was speaking to a Supra expert and he said because it has had such a restrictive air box on it, the engine has been set up like that. So the idle needs to be cranked up a bit, or even tighten the screw on the throttle cable, but even with the stock box it idles at around 700 and a 5M-E should idle at around 950!! so there were problem anyway
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Air Filter Problem Wed, 08 December 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check ur grounding!!
oops ppl say that all the time but not applicable here. Laughing Laughing

if the problem already happening, it would be many things. lloook out for vacuum leak and ur ignition system - spark plug, cables, dizzycap etc...

but idle drop with pod, hmm...
it shouldnt man. u might have pulled something off while replacing or forgot to put something back on.

just my 2 cents
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Air Filter Problem Wed, 08 December 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
off the top of my head, could the pod filter be so dirty that its actually more restrictive?
just another idea
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Air Filter Problem Wed, 08 December 2004 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like removal of the airbox just accentuated an idle that was adjusted a bit low anyway...

crank the idle speed up using the air bypass screw to specs and go for a drive...

also check that when you start it from a cold engine that high idle functions and goes down once the engine warms up...if so it should be sweet....
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Air Filter Problem Wed, 08 December 2004 04:28 Go to previous message
na i have checked all of that.. there is a bit of a bunged up piece on the filter piping but it is ok, the POD is brand new. i reckon tightening the throttle cable screw so it idles a little higher could be the easiest thing. I have tried the cold start and it actually idles higher when it's cold, but when its hot it dies down to about 500-600 thanks anyway guys
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:cressida mx83 Digi dash conversion?
Next Topic:US Spec 2J turbos on 1J?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 08:02:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006443977355957 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.