Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
4ac turbo Wed, 30 October 2002 07:07 Go to next message
A mate has ofered his t25 turbo to me of a CA18DET, i have a sprinter complete with original 4ac. If i was to get a new exaust manifold made up to suit and ran minimal boost is there anything sopping me from doing this? is this a stupid idea? will this manifold i get fabricated also suit a 4age/ze? how much should the manifold cost?
  Send a private message to this user    
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4ac turbo Wed, 30 October 2002 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No it wont suit the 4AGXX's because the 4AC is not crossflow.

Just remember it's a fair bit weaker than the 4AGZE and that one side of the motor will get pretty cluttered.

I would reccommend ditching the sock Carby and Manifold then using a bigger side-draft carb on the atmo side of the turbo. blowing the whole fuel/air mixture into a custom inlet manifold.

Although you wouldnt be able to make heaps of grunt, there really isnt much stopping you from turboing it with a few Psi while learning some valuable lessons.

If you have the facilities DIY!!!

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4ac turbo Wed, 30 October 2002 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would just wait and save up for a GZE (Even if you spend $500 that puts you well on your way to a GZE of even GE)

Just my 2c, oh of course if you have the materials to DIY then, why not!

Cheers
Wilbo

[Updated on: Wed, 30 October 2002 08:28]

cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
Re: 4ac turbo Wed, 30 October 2002 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok stupid question. what does atmo mean?
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4ac turbo Wed, 30 October 2002 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Atmospheric.

To put it simply, There are two sides to a turbo system. Pressurised and Atmospheric and i bet you cant guess what seperates them Very Happy
cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
Re: 4ac turbo Wed, 30 October 2002 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh i see.
if i was to get the exaust manifold fabricated how much would i be up for? would it be the same sort of price for a inlet manifold?
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4ac turbo Wed, 30 October 2002 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a decent manifold is going to cost you over $500
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4ac turbo Wed, 30 October 2002 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
remove 4ac, replace with 4agze (minus supercharger) and THEN make up a manifold to suit the turbo.
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4ac turbo Wed, 30 October 2002 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can make the Turbo Manifold yourself, you'll save heaps.

Personally i made mine for $30

Inlet manifold should cost about the same
thunderbird1
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4ac turbo Thu, 31 October 2002 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Re: 4ac turbo

hehehehe
cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
Re: 4ac turbo Thu, 31 October 2002 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm, i have access to a welder. would be good practice for my 4agte Cool. how much for a side-draught carb? could i use the original just to get it running? how much welding experience do you need?
AbaddonGZE
Regular

July 2002

Re: 4ac turbo Thu, 31 October 2002 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe

lets see.. a 4ac on low boost will go like a .. 4age!
its strange this thread seems to pop up time and time again.

its always comes down to this:

a stock GZE will cost less, be more reliable and beat the pants off a turbo 4ac..

you can pick up GZE's these days for under a grand at most honest importers.

FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 4ac turbo Fri, 01 November 2002 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AbaddonGZE wrote on Fri, 01 November 2002 00:25

you can pick up GZE's these days for under a grand at most honest importers.

Which importer would you be talking about? ive been lookin for one for about 1-2 months and the best price i can get is $1350 with computer but that is from JMS so i would have to freight it over here, which will cost about $100-$150 Sad .
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4ac turbo Fri, 01 November 2002 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have access to a welder, turbo and 4A-C definately do the job yourself. It will cost very little and you'll learn some invaluable skills.

Don't let anyone tell you its a pointless project, sure it'll never be as strong as a proper GZE based one but there are many lessons you can learn about fabrication skills which you can then use when it comes time to building your dream. The feeling you'll derive from learning and doing the work successfully yourself will be immense. Something those "Ill pay a workshop to do it" people will never understand. It'll be truly 'your' car something that you built.

Get what im saying?

You should also be able to pick up a big carb from any wreckers for not much at all. It could even be a down-draft carb. Just need to make sure it sits in its correct orientation.

[Updated on: Fri, 01 November 2002 08:45]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4ac turbo Fri, 01 November 2002 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, by all means don't be put off by the fact that it's not going to have more grunt than Victor Bray. If you were planning on paying someone to do it, definately forget it because value for money in that sense it certainly isn't a good thing - but if you can get ahold of some wreckers bits and pieces, then definately have a crack at it, sometimes its good fun to start with the underdog and make it into something reasonable. My ae86 has got a turbo'd GZE in it, and even then I enjoy getting the 'underdog' treatment from the Nissan and Holden guys, being told my engines too small, too old, too cheap, too this, too that, and then beating the plicks regardless Very Happy Oh yeah, and no busted rockers or chain rattles like an SR20 Very Happy

So have a go at it, show us what a little DIY can do, and if at the end of the day you melt your 4AC, well it's not really the end of the world now is it...
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4ac turbo Sat, 02 November 2002 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spot on.
tercelboy
Regular

September 2002
Re: 4ac turbo Sun, 03 November 2002 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 4A-C is a little different then the GE, first it is not cross flow (already been said), secondly they are not as good an engine as the GE (also been said). The 4A-C exhaust system is a little weird, I have had a custom set of headers made for mine. Due to the fact that the exhaust ports are so close together, on my system the two sets of cylinders share the same pipe (so only two pipes come from the engine and mine are 2.5inch). The headers (I am not running a turbo) are a set of hurricane extractors that are ment for a transversally mounted 3/4A-C. Because I own a Tercel SR5 4WD (conventionally mounted) I got the exhaust shop to mod them (so they did not hit the steering) and run them a further few feet to underneath the car. All up the extractors and all mods to them cost $300, you could probably get a turbo one made for a bit more. I have however seen a set of extractors made up running 4 smaller pipes instead of 2 bigger ones. Maybe try searching on Google for 4A-C mods, you may find the sprinter with the mod.

In regards to the carby, get rid of the aisin or what ever it is. I have mounted a 32/36 Holley down draft(same as a 180 webber) on the standard manifold. You could probably get away with the standard manifold if you port it a bit etc (I have not as my car is my transport, not that know one else uses them for that but I have not had time). I have seen it done on a little 1.4L nissan motor (standard setup carby engine turboed), a 32/36 carby on standard manifold with a box built ontop of it (half a shoe box size, maybe little smaller), which had the pipe from the turbo running into the side of the box. A cheap option would be a 34/34 webber off a carby XD-XF Ford Falcon, a mate brought one for around $30 the other month at a swap meet (put a $40 rebuild kit through it and you a laughing). If you have any problems getting an adapter plate to get the webber/holley to fit the standard manifold give me a yell as I know for a fact ( I have one) that Redline makes one.

If you are feeling adventurous and don't want to muck around trying to get the standard manifold to flow better (inlet), custom build a new one and run a side draft like someone suggested. It will give you the best results in the long run, could be a bit of a job getting a custom built one to flow nice (see how good your fabricating skills are). I am not really sure what you should do first, because if you keep the standard inlet then you will probably have less room for the exhaust manifold. And if you build a custom inlet you would have more room to mount the turbo. But as I said see how good your fabricating skills are

I hope some of this has been helpful, you can email me on jarredfoley@hotmail.com
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4ac turbo Sun, 03 November 2002 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Something I've always been curious about, if you go about something like this, how do you give the turbo oil?

Tim.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 4ac turbo Sun, 03 November 2002 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry couldnt resist. ra28 give it an oil surpositry{sorry for the spelling}hahaha. look my only advice is get a 4age oe gze and do it. the 4ac is just not worth it, what are you going to do if it blows and it will as the large majority of 4ac will have big km's 150k and over? im betting youll put a 4ag in it which will need a custom manifold. so if you want to play with the 4ac its your call but it will cost more in the long run for less result.
mick
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4ac turbo Sun, 03 November 2002 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T-piece the oil supply off the oil pressure sender. Oil return can be fitted to the sump - just make sure its up high and is of large calibre (about an 1").
323_rotor_guy
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: 4ac turbo Sat, 23 August 2003 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oi whast the go with rubishing the good ol 4AC? i mean some people can fabricate manifolds etc cheap and when the engine is already in the car working properly a turbo is an easy upgrade to the stock motor with out going wild, obviously a 4AGE or GZE is better but at a cost....

so heres my question, has anyone actually had any experience turboing a 4AC? cause i'm about to atemting it as well, I already have a rising rate fuel reg, T2 turbo off a EXA and a few other bits and peices (pod filter etc etc), how much boost can they take? like safely and is the stock carby alright for blowing through? i've blown through a sigma carby with no dramas (no re-jetting etc) but is there any issues with the rolla carby? the vac secdarys might need addressing but anything else.... thanx in advance
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4ac turbo Sat, 23 August 2003 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with rex! If you've got a welder do it, just to have some fun Laughing But in reality, the GZE is the performance choice Cool
Mazda626
Regular

June 2003

Re: 4ac turbo Sat, 23 August 2003 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was considering putting a 2tgeu or (2tg with eu had and some webbers Wink) into a AE71 corolla at one stage..why not opt for somthing like this ?
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4ac turbo Sat, 23 August 2003 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do a search here....

http://www.twincam16.com/

this very topic was discussed at some length about 18 months ago
323_rotor_guy
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: 4ac turbo Sun, 24 August 2003 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, we have the ehaust manifold done, 1.5inch runners with a T25 flange, got a rising rate fuel reg, hat for the top of the carby, ordering gaskets tomorrow (sump and inlet/exhaust), got the plate made for the dump pipe, worked out we are using a T2 turbo off a EXA and it fits sweet as, got a volvo cold start injector and a VL fuel pump to run the carby and a R31 skyline fuel pump to run the injector, cut the 2.5inch pipe for the 'surge' tank under the bonnet for the pumps and regulator (fed by the stock mech fuel pump)

so it is in motion and we done all this stuff last night and today, so we can't do anything next weekend cause me mate with the car is going away but we are aiming to have it boosting by the weekend after
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4ac turbo Sun, 24 August 2003 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geezer.

forget all the knockers on this forum, every man and his dog wants to put a 4agze in a sprinter. there is nothing wrong with turboing a non crossflow motor, the crossflow thing is not an issue in the slightest. a bit of an exhaust manifold and you are on your way, a cheap efi setup with a mt4 computer or similar should cost less than a grand or you could always use a suck thru dcoe weber.

seriously if you want to do it, do it. if you blow the 4ac, you can easily get another one dead cheap. dont let anyone discourage you from doing it, trying something different separates you from the sheep. great idea, i hope it all goes well! let us know how you go.

ab
ps if you want a bit of reliability a decent set of forged pistons should set you back less than $900 Smile get into it mate!
323_rotor_guy
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: 4ac turbo Sun, 24 August 2003 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey you pro_ke off ausrotary? i'm 323_rotor_guy...lol

any way its got into, the manifold was a bit of a problem cause of the inlet been so close we were restricted to 1.5inch bends (per 2 exhaust ports) and then just had the 2 pipes joining up then cut a hole in the pipe and welded a flange to it and theres ya manifold.....bout $20 wotrh of materials and its done, not any where near $500 as mentioned, we are doing this setup for cheap power i.e under $750 we have a T2/T25 turbo running 10psi boost, 2.5inch exhast with mufflers, rising rate reg, pipeing, the car it self is an auto so huge power is out of the question, a 4AGZE and manual conversion makes a AE82 sedan worth way too much money better off spending on something better
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4ac turbo Sun, 24 August 2003 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could always go the other way and turbo a 2t/3t hybrid ..

they are a crossflow motor - and are capable of holding a lot more power than a 4ac ..

a 2t from the wreckers would cost a couple of hundred - and if your mad and have the cash - you can get big figures out of them with turbos that would scare the pants out of most of the twin cam crew.

Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4ac turbo Sun, 24 August 2003 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
323 rotor guy, what did you use to make the manifold, steam bends? did you make the flanges your self?
I will be testing out my welding skills soon hopefully in making a manifold too for my 4ag.
Willy86
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4ac turbo Tue, 28 October 2003 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
323 Rotor Guy,

How did you go?? Power? Has it been reliable so far?
My mate and I are about to do the same conversion on my 4AC,With a rb20 turbo and a webber.

Anyone else mongrelized their 4AC into a 4AC-T Laughing ???

Will
Willy86
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4ac turbo Fri, 31 October 2003 15:37 Go to previous message
Someone else must have done this before Confused
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Celica Wheel Bearings
Next Topic:na20v power
Goto Forum: