Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Stretch
Regular

November 2004
has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Tue, 07 December 2004 07:20 Go to next message
hey all.
i am wanting to put a 4agze in my 1989 sx corolla but i dont know where 2 begin.
if anyone has any information on this conversion or anything similar it would be great.
thanx
pics would be great 2.
  Send a private message to this user    
Phoenix01
Regular

May 2004
Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Tue, 07 December 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm in the final stages of putting one in my GTi. My best advice for you is. Get an AE92 half cut. The AE101 -> AE92 has been a bit of a nightmare. Been off the road for way too long. Basically, with the AE92, everything will 'bolt up' as such. Rather than fiddling around with electronic back to mechanical speedo drives and what not.

As much as I'd like to say I did the conversion myself. I actually paid a workshop to do it. For a number of reasons, one being with the limited spare time I have, and the car being my daily, it would be quicker if I just paid someone to do it. But the mechanic said to me the other day, if I had gone with the AE92 half cut instead I would have had the car back in half the time (its been 2 months now) and it would've cost me a shitload less. Embarassed

EDIT: Also I'll just add one more thing. Just to make choosing an engine even harder. Confused

The AE101 motor, does make more power than the others, but the AE92 motor with the MAP sensor is pretty damn close.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 December 2004 10:00]

joeyjojo
Regular

March 2003
Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Tue, 07 December 2004 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Just to make things easy the ae92 gze stop being produced in 6/1991.

The ae101 was produced From 6/1991 onwards, which is when the ae93 began being sold in Australia.

Which means if you put an ae92 gze into an ae93 in cannot be engineered, because the engine is older than the car.
Stretch
Regular

November 2004
Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Tue, 07 December 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks alot guys for the info. helps alot.

i question for joeyjojo: u say the ae92 gze cannot be enginnered because the motor would be older than the car. my ae93 is a 1989 model, so cant i just put a ae92 gze straight in?

also another question... what do u have to change like do u have to change the engine mounts and shit like that?
what exactly do u need and roughly how much would i be up 4.
i have access to a workshop full of mechanics as i work for toyota. so the time issue doesnt matter.
what would i need? a cpu, the motor, the wiring loom, box, what else
Phoenix01
Regular

May 2004
Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Tue, 07 December 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think joeyjojo is a little confused. AE93 is just a variant of the AE92 shape as is the AE90, AE94, AE95 and AE96.

A quick look on redbook gave me this:

AE90 = 1.4L carby (never seen one of these before)
AE93 = 1.6L EFI (4AGE)
AE94 = 1.6L EFI (4AFE)
AE95 = 1.6L EFI (4AFE) 4WD
AE96 = 1.8L EFI (7AFE)

So basically any AE92 GZE made after the build date on your car is fine. The MAP sensor version of the AE92 GZE was produced from 5/1989 to 6/1991.

Engine mounts should be fine, unless ofcourse you current ones are stuffed and need replacing anyway. Infact any A series block should bolt up to those mounts (correct me if i'm wrong).

As for parts required, just buy a half cut, so you should have everything you need (except a fuel pump), providing all the parts are working. I also recommend you have the head pulled of and the motor checked out, and the head gasket replaced.

So far my conversion has cost me about $6k including the halfcut.
Rod83
Regular

August 2003
Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Tue, 07 December 2004 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's a pretty straight forward conversion, especially if you get an ae92 halfcut as mentioned previously. If you have access to a workshop full of mechanincs, you could probably knock it over in less than a week, including wiring.

For the record, ae93's started being sold here in 1989 so you can fit the ae92 engine in legally.

With an ae92 halfcut, everything pretty much bolts up. The wiring is also fairly easy.

Check all the oil seals and replace if leaking or deteriorated. Same with belts. Replace the water pump and check the condition of the clutch.

I left the standard fuel pump in and had no problems running standard boost.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Tue, 07 December 2004 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know of someone from these forums that does a 24hr drive in drive out service for the GZE conversion, provided you get an AE9x front cut.
Cya, Stewart
trevtrev
Regular

October 2004
Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Wed, 08 December 2004 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phoenix. I have an AE90. 1.4l 6A-FC engine, Fair Pussbucket for a 5 speed twincam. I am doing an AE101 Silvertop convo in Brisvegas at the moment since the 6A-FC died. Could not justify the ZE convo.$

I have not got as far as putting the new bits in yet. I have been asking around quite a bit about this convo but nobody seems to have done it. I bought the AE90 at the auctions in Springwood, not realising exactly what it was. Buyer beware.

Trev
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Wed, 08 December 2004 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 20V > AE9x is a very easy swap, I can think of at least 6 in Brisbane with this conversion off the top of my head. The wiring's the hard part, the mechanical side is all direct bolt-in.

My only word of advise for a GZE >Ae93 swap is... Make sure you get a MAP sensored AE92 GZE frontcut. If you get an AE92 AFM GZE frontcut, you will be dissapointed with the swap.
Stretch
Regular

November 2004
Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Wed, 08 December 2004 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanks alot guys for all of your help.
if anyone comes acorss a ae92 gze map sensor half cut for a reasonable amount send me some info as i am looking for 1
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Wed, 08 December 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

If you get an AE92 AFM GZE frontcut, you will be dissapointed with the swap.
This might be a stupid question, but why is this so?
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Wed, 08 December 2004 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've driven 3 AFM GZE's, each one felt only slightly better than a fresh lightly worked 16V 4age. I also know at least 3 other people around Aus who have converted their SX's from the 16V 4age to the AFM GZE and they all wish they hadn't wasted their money. All the people I know who have done MAP 4agze conversions in their SX's have been very happy with the swap.

The AE92 AFM GZE makes about 107kw at the flywheel when it was new in 1988. I've driven 5 other MAP 4agze's in Brisbane, and every one of them felt 200% faster than the AFM GZE. The AFM GZE's are ok if you're going turbo, but if staying supercharged dont expect a huge improvement over a normal 4age.
Phoenix01
Regular

May 2004
Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Wed, 08 December 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trevtrev wrote on Wed, 08 December 2004 14:48

Phoenix. I have an AE90. 1.4l 6A-FC engine, Fair Pussbucket for a 5 speed twincam. I am doing an AE101 Silvertop convo in Brisvegas at the moment since the 6A-FC died. Could not justify the ZE convo.$

I have not got as far as putting the new bits in yet. I have been asking around quite a bit about this convo but nobody seems to have done it. I bought the AE90 at the auctions in Springwood, not realising exactly what it was. Buyer beware.

Trev

One problem you will come across, if the AE101 20v is the same as the AE101 GZE, is the electronic speedo drive that the AE101 uses will not work with ur mechanical speedo in the AE9X. Theres a few ways around it. But I've found just using a mechanical speedo drive that actually mates with whatever gearbox your cut comes with wont work because you need to make a 90 degree bend in the cable. I've heard that there's a little device you can as a 90 degree bend in the cable, or you can use the electronic drive and buy a converter (expensive) to then turn it into a mechanical signal. All this because the AE101 dash doesnt fit into an AE9X. So what I've done as a temporary fix is simply dodgy the AE101 speedo into the AE92 cluster.

Other than that... it should all just bolt up. (Sounds so easy doesn't it? Rolling Eyes )
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Wed, 08 December 2004 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you dont have the same speedo drive problem when using an AE101 20V as the original mechanical AE9x C series sender is a direct swap into the AE101/AE111 20V C52 or C56. I've done it a few times now.
Stretch
Regular

November 2004
Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Wed, 08 December 2004 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats the advantages of a 20valve over a gze?
is a 20 valve easier 2 put in a ae93 sx rather than a gze?
what cars came out with 20 valve? what year and stuff like that.
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Wed, 08 December 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cant think of any advantages of a 20V over a MAP GZE, apart from availability of frontcuts.

I've done an AE101 20V into an AE93 SX, an AE92 MAP GZE into AE92 CS sedan, and an AE111 20V into AE94 CSi hatch.

The GZE was the easiest of the lot. The AE111 20V was the hardest as the wiring is more involved.
Phoenix01
Regular

May 2004
Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Wed, 08 December 2004 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah ok the 20v uses a C series box.... don't mind me. Embarassed
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Thu, 09 December 2004 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The AE111 20V was the hardest as the wiring is more involved.

Hope you mean lack of info... Because Try doing an auto version and still wanting the auto!! Zero info on these suckers Mad But I have draw up some nice wiring diagrams after sus'ing the sucker out and looking back there really much difference between the 20V S/T and the B/T, Just different colour codes.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Thu, 09 December 2004 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only annoying things i can see with using an AE101 GZE frontcut for your AE92 conversion is:
# mechanical speedo drive - you need the mechanical drive from an E-series gearbox
# aircon: the lines arent identical, so if you want aricon when you previously didnt have it you are in a little bother as the parts dont bolt in perfectly. It can be done its just fiddly.
# a couple of wiring bits wont plug directly in. No biggie here!

Otherwise i would see them as the same.

I have virtually finished an AE101 GZE conversion where i have removed the supercharger for the owner to go turbo. Its an easy conversion really, its just taken me a fair while as there are a few things i had to test out and learn along the way....

Finding a frontcut - thats becoming a mission on its own.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Thu, 09 December 2004 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

# mechanical speedo drive - you need the mechanical drive from an E-series gearbox

Happy to swap, AE92 GZE box LSD going into AE101... do have an adapter from some unknown car that does work, but it only just clears my steer rack, but worried what will happen whne we hit a few big jumps.
Phoenix01
Regular

May 2004
Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Fri, 10 December 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Thu, 09 December 2004 23:52

Yeah it took me 3 weeks to find my AE101 GZE cut. Ended up having to get a place to hold one for me that was on its way over from japan.... Mind you, that was also the only one in the shipment too.... and if it wasn't for my regular phone calls they probably would've sold it to someone else.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 December 2004 00:26]

jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: has anyone put a gze in a ae93 sx hatch? Fri, 10 December 2004 07:02 Go to previous message
THE WITZL wrote on Fri, 10 December 2004 00:52

the only annoying things i can see with using an AE101 GZE frontcut for your AE92 conversion is:
# aircon: the lines arent identical, so if you want aricon when you previously didnt have it you are in a little bother as the parts dont bolt in perfectly. It can be done its just fiddly.
# a couple of wiring bits wont plug directly in. No biggie here!

Otherwise i would see them as the same.

I have virtually finished an AE101 GZE conversion where i have removed the supercharger for the owner to go turbo. Its an easy conversion really, its just taken me a fair while as there are a few things i had to test out and learn along the way....

You forgot the all important rear gearbox mount which is E series specific in the AE9x. The AE101 radiator is also taller and doesn't fit in as neatly, etc etc etc
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:7MGE Air con
Next Topic:help a n00b
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 30 05:45:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050809383392334 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.