Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
intercooler for 4agte Wed, 30 October 2002 09:54 Go to next message
is a gsr intercooler big enough for a 4agte? core deminsions 255x155x68.
  Send a private message to this user    
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: intercooler for 4agte Wed, 30 October 2002 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just got word on the intercooler and been told it is too small for the application i require it for. im now looking for something 450x200 minimum instead.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: intercooler for 4agte Wed, 30 October 2002 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Obvious questions:
How much can you afford
How much grunt you aiming for? (what turbo you using?)
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: intercooler for 4agte Wed, 30 October 2002 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont want to spend too much. thats is, rather find something around then get one custom built.

want about 170kw at the wheels

will be running a t3 turbo out of a rb20 skyline
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: intercooler for 4agte Thu, 31 October 2002 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have one that is about 500 x 220 x 70.
wazs gonna use it on a 4age turbo setup but i dont think i'l be goin through with it if ya want it...

email me paul@whk.com.au
NinetySix
Occasional Poster

October 2002

Re: intercooler for 4agte Thu, 31 October 2002 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that turbo would be an absolute pig on a 4agte. They also use a ceramic turbine and it would probably fall off the shaft before it reached enough boost to make 170rwkw.

a GSR turbo would be great, TD04. wouldnt cost much at all, would be very responsive, tho about 150rwkw would be the most from it

maybe a T25G off a S13 silvia/180sx with a 2.0 litre SR20DET would be better still

[Updated on: Thu, 31 October 2002 02:23]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: intercooler for 4agte Thu, 31 October 2002 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Many people have used that turbo, its not a pig because it has a ceramic wheel. As long as its in good condition, it should get close to 170rwkW. The TD04 from a GSR is a tiny turbo, i think you'd find it'd even have trouble with 150rwkW...
NinetySix
Occasional Poster

October 2002

Re: intercooler for 4agte Thu, 31 October 2002 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the turbos on RB20's have trouble spooling up before 4000rpm and thats on a 2.0 litre six ... they pull till about 7500. But the ceramic wheel stops you going past 0.8 bar (re: turbine falls into cat) and you would be lucky to get 170rwkw from one of those at 12psi

any turbo off a CA18 or SR20 would be a much better bet, but hey if he allready owns a RB20 turbo then go nuts
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: intercooler for 4agte Thu, 31 October 2002 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are pretty expensive, buy I'd be inclined to get a S14 200SX T28. The T25's are a bit small too, at least in CA18 spec...
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: intercooler for 4agte Thu, 31 October 2002 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Many people have used this turbo with out the ball-core and have excellent results even with the 1bar limit. They spool up hard from 2600rpm giving a nice midrange thump, right up to 7500rpm or so.

So if the non BB units perform this well then a BB will spool up even earlier. Added to the fact that many BB turbos use re-designed turbine and compressor wheel dynamics compared to their older brothers.

There is however some confusion surrounding their size, Being a Nissan unit they have no official sizing markings. However they do use a T3 type mounting flange. But they are probably closer to T28 (or slightly larger).

NinetySix
Occasional Poster

October 2002

Re: intercooler for 4agte Thu, 31 October 2002 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the RB20/25 turbos are basically T03's like from VL's, tho they look nothing like them cept for the flange mount .. the compressors are basically the same (as is also the same on a T28) ... tho the turbines are smaller (RB25) and smaller again (RB20) to make up for the lower capacity ....

theres a lotta myth around the theorum of ball bearings, but oh well Wink

still if they can spool up nicely on a 1.6 litre im DAMN supprised! but cant argue with it if its a proven package Smile tho i do know what they are like on R32's....
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: intercooler for 4agte Thu, 31 October 2002 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
barbel wrote on Thu, 31 October 2002 12:48

i have one that is about 500 x 220 x 70.
wazs gonna use it on a 4age turbo setup but i dont think i'l be goin through with it if ya want it...

email me paul@whk.com.au

you have mail and pm
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: intercooler for 4agte Thu, 31 October 2002 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NinetySix:

Which RB20 skylines have you been driving? I reckon they are one of the earliest spooling turbos on a 2 litre. factory boost is usually reached easily by 2500 rpm. Try comparing against an FJ20! or 3TGTEU! Even the non ball bearing early RB20 turbos provide good results. I have driven 1.5L single cam motors fitted with these turbos and they have no problem reaching 15psi at 3000rpm.

An RB20 BB turbo will supply enough airflow for 160KW at the wheels without turbine failure.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: intercooler for 4agte Thu, 31 October 2002 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you mean the red-rocker cover NICS version before? Cos they are supposed to be fairly...lax to say the least.
NinetySix
Occasional Poster

October 2002

Re: intercooler for 4agte Thu, 31 October 2002 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry the one i test drove only had a cat-back exhaust on it ... wasnt keeping an eye on the boost but it really didnt kick till about 4000rpm ... if it was a full exhaust id say it would be a fair bit earlier ... but RB20's are known not to have the low down torque that SR20's do, and mine gets torquey at about 2800rpm, and full boost about 3300rpm

anyhoo, I still think a T25G/T28 would be a better bet
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: intercooler for 4agte Thu, 31 October 2002 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The thing with not having the low-down torque is because of the size of the pistons I'd imagine, having the 2l spread over 6 cylinders it what gives them a little less bottom-end torque but makes them also rev a lot nicer than an SR20.
NinetySix
Occasional Poster

October 2002

Re: intercooler for 4agte Thu, 31 October 2002 11:49 Go to previous message
yeah with the shorter stroke and small pistons AND good top end setup (unlike sh1tty SR20 rocker arms) they really love to rev, plus they are bulletproof Very Happy

still i was under the impression it was mainly the turbo helping that, tiny turbine and all...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:FWD AE-93 ---> 4WD
Next Topic:A real mans diff to end the VN VS Hilux question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 06:50:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043540000915527 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.