Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4AGE idle 1100rpm, is this normal?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
4AGE idle 1100rpm, is this normal? Fri, 10 December 2004 15:01 Go to next message
Hey i just had a full service on my AE86 with 4AGE bigport motor. I notice when i got the car it idled pretty high (1100) so i thought timing might be stuffed or watever. After the service i asked the guys about my timing and they said it's timing is fine (so still idles at 1100rpm). I also have the idle adjustment valve thingy and its low as it goes, goin the other way makes the revs go higher!. So is there a simple solution to this??, like is my timing advanced or something THANKS JoHnNy_K
  Send a private message to this user    
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: 4AGE idle 1100rpm, is this normal? Fri, 10 December 2004 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you might have a vacum leak somewhere...
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: 4AGE idle 1100rpm, is this normal? Fri, 10 December 2004 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks i might check out for leaks tomorow hopefully that will help. Also i forgot to say i think the 4age doesnt have a choker (the previous owner said) and all heater hoses / air con hoses are removed, not sure if that helps but THANKS anyway JoHnNy_K
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4AGE idle 1100rpm, is this normal? Sat, 11 December 2004 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
same problem here dude, and i have no vacume leaks.

i adle about 1500rpm when i start, maybe 1600. but that then drops down to about 1000-1100 when it warms up. if i close my throttle body valve any more, it gets to about 800rpm and will start to splutter and fall between 500-800rpm and move up and down, and sumtimes even turn off.

i wish i knew what was going on, only thing i can think of is that my injectors needa cleaning. just had new plugs and cords fitted.
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: 4AGE idle 1100rpm, is this normal? Sat, 11 December 2004 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey i've checked and no leaks, I'm just wondering if i adjust the distributor could that solve my problem???? THANKS JoHnNy_K
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 4AGE idle 1100rpm, is this normal? Sat, 11 December 2004 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aux air valve (feeds air around the throttle when engien is cold or the AC is on) is probably stuck open or not working?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGE idle 1100rpm, is this normal? Sat, 11 December 2004 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Also i forgot to say i think the 4age doesnt have a choker (the previous owner said) and all heater hoses / air con hoses are removed,

having the coolant lines off the idle down bypass on the throttle body will result in a high idle even when the engine is warm. i would look into hooking it back up.
as long as the a/c idle up soleniod pipes have been blocked, it would'nt matter that they are not hooked up.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 4AGE idle 1100rpm, is this normal? Sat, 11 December 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also get a timing gun and check the timing yourself OR you can try replace the vacuum screw with a longer one if you can
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 4AGE idle 1100rpm, is this normal? Sat, 11 December 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Sat, 11 December 2004 22:07

having the coolant lines off the idle down bypass on the throttle body will result in a high idle even when the engine is warm. i would look into hooking it back up.
as long as the a/c idle up soleniod pipes have been blocked, it would'nt matter that they are not hooked up.

Yep, i did that the other day, pulled em off coz i thought it would be better if the throttle body didnt get lots of hot water pumped thru it, you know to keep air temps down. Well good in theory till the idle wouldnt budge from 2000rpm even when the engine coolant temp was at 190deg F. hooked those two lines backup and away she goes, idle back to 900rpm. i have 3 other coolant or what ever plugs blocked off but they were like that when i got the engine, i got no idea what they are for but i assume its to heat the throttle body for cold starts??

ohh mines the smallport 4age so it might be a bit different if you want pics i can take some and post them later.

Another note is my idle hunts around a fair bit unless its under load ie headlights foot on the break heater going the idle will drop to about 700rpm but it will stay there. turn everything off and it'll jump back to 900 then drop to 700ish back to 900 ect ect. there are no vacuum leaks in the system, i've put it down to it not getting a signal from the vehicle speed sensor, seeing as i dont have one.

Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: 4AGE idle 1100rpm, is this normal? Sat, 11 December 2004 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah Hunty pics would be sweet if you can get some. It would give me a better idea on what i'm looking for THANKS JoHnNy_K
187_20v
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4AGE idle 1100rpm, is this normal? Sat, 11 December 2004 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have the same problem but my would change up and down ,sometimes it would idle normal at 750rpm then it would go back up 2 900rpm
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 4AGE idle 1100rpm, is this normal? Sun, 12 December 2004 05:55 Go to previous message
carsanactra wrote on Sat, 11 December 2004 17:02

same problem here dude, and i have no vacume leaks.

i adle about 1500rpm when i start, maybe 1600. but that then drops down to about 1000-1100 when it warms up. if i close my throttle body valve any more, it gets to about 800rpm and will start to splutter and fall between 500-800rpm and move up and down, and sumtimes even turn off.

i wish i knew what was going on, only thing i can think of is that my injectors needa cleaning. just had new plugs and cords fitted.

probably ignition problem. i had this and discovered my dizzycap needed to be changed.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:turboing my 4a-ge ae82
Next Topic:Q: Oil Filter & Fuel Filter Location on a 4AGZE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:14:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043449401855469 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.