Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
General_Bupkiss
Regular

August 2004
aw11 questions Sun, 12 December 2004 06:33 Go to next message
hey guys, in the not too distant future I am hopeing to purchase an aw11. Now what i would like to know is, do any of them come with out a 4age standard (I want a 4age, but don't want to be let down if some inferior engine is in some of them when i go to look at them.) also, about how much should I be looking to pay for one with a 4age (not a ze, I want NA not boost), and is there anything that I should look out for, problem wise.
Thanx in advance.
  Send a private message to this user    
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: aw11 questions Sun, 12 December 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They only came out with 4age and 4agze engines.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: aw11 questions Sun, 12 December 2004 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You want to get the aus delivered aw11. This came in NA. You should be able to pick up a nice one for around the 5k - 7k mark.

I'm not too sure how hard it is to find one now but when i was looking for mine it took a while.
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: aw11 questions Sun, 12 December 2004 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
find the AW11 anomomous thread....

I have an NA 89 AW11. And yes, they are awesome. The NA version is an 86kW 4AGE ( cant remembefr if this is big or samll port though). Standard, you cannot break traction and while they have really good (and sometimes interesting) handling they need more power and a better clutch. Watch for an oil leak round the dizzy cap.

i paid $8250 for mine with 130 000 km on the clock, standard and no problems.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: aw11 questions Sun, 12 December 2004 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are a afm big port 4age with the 7 rib block.

Miss MR2 wrote on Sun, 12 December 2004 19:47

Standard, you cannot break traction

You just didnt try hard enough Laughing

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: aw11 questions Sun, 12 December 2004 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
better way to put it.... cant break traction.. in a straight line with the standard clutch and good tyres Razz

and dont say its casue the clutch was baulked, was a complaint wheels mag made about it when it was brand spanking new, eghehe good ole ebay for wheels 1984.

ceramic clutch and its a diff story. with the stocko you could side step it at 8k and it would just slip. ceramic number side step it at 6 and it will just spin up and shoot off Razz
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: aw11 questions Sun, 12 December 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha.. the feral was bog stock 4age except for a different muffler and it could break traction from a stand still. couldnt do a big line locker like a front engine car, but i didnt expect it to with the weight over the wheels. awesome circle work though... Evil or Very Mad

General_Bupkiss, dude the AW11 never came with a inferior engine. whether it be a NA 4age or the boosted 4agze. they are both TOUGH engines.
good luck in finding a nice example and enjoy a 'drivers car'. Smile
Earl
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: aw11 questions Mon, 13 December 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

the AW11 never came with a inferior engine

I have seen one with a single cam 1.5, ~55kW. Can't remember the model code but it was the same one out of the Tercels....

JDM only, probably wasn't called an AW11, admittedly.

A certain Brisbane 'Performance' car yard was trying to offload it for $12500 a couple of years ago. There was much laughter. Laughing
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: aw11 questions Mon, 13 December 2004 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3alu (aw10)
4cyl SOHC, 8v
83bhp
carby.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: aw11 questions Mon, 13 December 2004 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats what engine was in fatmr2's engine bay, he was saying how it was way better than the 4agze and he would chop everyone with his carby powah Twisted Evil
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: aw11 questions Mon, 13 December 2004 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aahh yes the AW10, a friend over the net has one in NZ.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: aw11 questions Mon, 13 December 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Sun, 12 December 2004 19:42

You want to get the aus delivered aw11. This came in NA. You should be able to pick up a nice one for around the 5k - 7k mark.

I'm not too sure how hard it is to find one now but when i was looking for mine it took a while.

it wont be very nice for 5k a good one will set u bak closer to 7k look out for rust around the boot under the carpet near the air filter power windows that work if they have them air con that works umm weather the steering wheel shakes at 100 sign of worn tow ball joints
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: aw11 questions Mon, 13 December 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Mon, 13 December 2004 15:18

thats what engine was in fatmr2's engine bay, he was saying how it was way better than the 4agze and he would chop everyone with his carby powah Twisted Evil

YOUR DAYS COMING NERD!
YOU WILL BE OWNED!!! Twisted Evil

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: aw11 questions Mon, 13 December 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will you two hurry up and flog each other.. ummm.... Twisted Evil

the aus delivered aw11's are normaly prity good when it comes to rust (not saying they dont have any, i've found some Mad )
steering wheel shake is more likely from the well known flogged out inner steering rack bush.
superaw11
Regular

September 2002
Re: aw11 questions Mon, 13 December 2004 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Tue, 14 December 2004 00:09

steering wheel shake is more likely from the well known flogged out inner steering rack bush.

Yep,I know it all too well. Sad

No big deal though $200 and the entire rack can be reco'd. Smile

Cheers.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 December 2004 15:06]

Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: aw11 questions Mon, 13 December 2004 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
under spare tyre is a spot for rust to.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: aw11 questions Mon, 13 December 2004 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

You a sick sick man Laughing

Only a few more sleeps to go Very Happy
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: aw11 questions Mon, 13 December 2004 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

the aus delivered aw11's are normaly prity good when it comes to rust (not saying they dont have any, i've found some Mad )

was the ball joints in mine
General_Bupkiss
Regular

August 2004
Re: aw11 questions Wed, 15 December 2004 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx for all your reply's, the ones on the internet (trading post) are adveriging between 7 and 9 for the aw11, they don't give much detail on there condition, but they seem to have low kms (like low 100 thou). I wont be buying it until march maybe so I have some time before I go looking at them.
Do these mr2's have the same radiator problem that i am told the sw20's have (they get blocked esaly due to the long way the fluid has to travel too and fro, so a radiator flush is necessary as soon as u buy one)??

p.s. I know I will have no problem with the actual engine as this will be my third 4age in a row (both others where corolla's, and ae82, and a 92)I am now getting a little tired of front wheel drive, and don't particuly want to spend around 12k for an ae86 trueno, and then be like every other sprinter owner who wants to be tak(no offnece, I wish i could drift like that Razz)
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: aw11 questions Fri, 17 December 2004 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
General_Bupkiss wrote on Wed, 15 December 2004 15:31

Do these mr2's have the same radiator problem that i am told the sw20's have (they get blocked esaly due to the long way the fluid has to travel too and fro, so a radiator flush is necessary as soon as u buy one)??

Who told you this garbage
General_Bupkiss
Regular

August 2004
Re: aw11 questions Sat, 18 December 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mates dad told him that when he went looking at a sw20, all he said was to do a raditator flush as soon asd he baught it just in case. (he ended up buying an s13- idiot)
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: aw11 questions Sat, 18 December 2004 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha that says it all!
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: aw11 questions Sat, 18 December 2004 12:07 Go to previous message
General_Bupkiss wrote on Sat, 18 December 2004 15:20

my mates dad told him that when he went looking at a sw20, all he said was to do a raditator flush as soon asd he baught it just in case. (he ended up buying an s13- idiot)

Well it proabaly wouldnt hurt. But its not mandatory. Cheers
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Great Pics big pics
Next Topic:Road Ragers ... booooo
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 23:47:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058350563049316 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.