Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Fact or Fiction - Stainless cooler plumbing is BAD.....?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Anthony Kellam
Regular

July 2002
Fact or Fiction - Stainless cooler plumbing is BAD.....? Sun, 12 December 2004 16:34 Go to next message

OK, lately I have heard from a few big shops that they would never consider using stainless steel as a material for intercooler plumbing. The theories behind this decision vary wildly although no one can really explain why - they just use large words.

Does anyone have any hard facts as to why this may or may not be a suitable material???

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Fact or Fiction - Stainless cooler plumbing is BAD.....? Sun, 12 December 2004 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They probably want you to pay them $3000 to bend up some titanium pipework.

Why would stainless be bad?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Fact or Fiction - Stainless cooler plumbing is BAD.....? Sun, 12 December 2004 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm
a few things i can think of
the cost
welds have to be neat to take advantage of the stainless, so time consuming..etc
weight?
heat soak properties?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Fact or Fiction - Stainless cooler plumbing is BAD.....? Sun, 12 December 2004 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or you could just get it mandrel bent from one piece of pipe... much neater, much smoother, looks much better. The only time a welder should touch intercooler piping is when they're making a mock up of the bent pipe to make the real pipe.

My opinion Razz I dunno how good of an opinion it is, but it's mine! Razz
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Fact or Fiction - Stainless cooler plumbing is BAD.....? Sun, 12 December 2004 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do a search there was a pretty in depth thread on this not too long ago. (1-2months ago)
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Fact or Fiction - Stainless cooler plumbing is BAD.....? Sun, 12 December 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=401674&rid=883&S=25643b4dcd9dd1ea120fc 235b5c318e7

scroll down a bit beyond all the PVC jokes, and its all there. I would tend to agree with Gold28's theories - and would even like to compare post IC temps vs engine bay temps as an afterthought...
Anthony Kellam
Regular

July 2002
Re: Fact or Fiction - Stainless cooler plumbing is BAD.....? Mon, 13 December 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

OK thanks. Hadnt noticed much on it so thought i'd be safe without the search. Oh well... Rolling Eyes

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Fact or Fiction - Stainless cooler plumbing is BAD.....? Mon, 13 December 2004 05:06 Go to previous message
Most zorst shops are too lazy to weld stainless for some reason.

I've heard of places not wanting to modify the stock 1uz headers as they are stainless.

If this is the reason, stay away from that exhaust shop.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE82 Macpherson strut
Next Topic:repair manual pdf for 85 ae82?!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 10:27:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054190158843994 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.