Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 03 September 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Fri, 03 September 2004 13:08

I know i've kept you all waiting... but oh well...

Excuse the lack of filter, I still need to pick one up (what should I get? apexi pod?)

http://www.users.on.net/hydra/cars/celixx/images/s wap/pipe

It's not pretty, but function takes priority over form Smile

Not too shabby at all. What did the silicon bend cost ya?
  Send a private message to this user    
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 03 September 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More than I'd think it'd cost Smile

I'll go look for the price... I might still have a receipt.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 03 September 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd love to look at the pics Chris, but can't access the site from work Sad Same goes for Miss Universe's ass (shabby or not)
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 03 September 2004 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$75 for a 70mm 90° silicone bend from ASE...
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 03 September 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Fri, 03 September 2004 12:48

I'd love to look at the pics Chris, but can't access the site from work Sad Same goes for Miss Universe's ass (shabby or not)

Hahah.... is there any site that you can see pics on? Or would having an external proxy server help? Razz
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 03 September 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeh, the intercooler you see in those pics is a standard GT4 item... thankfully bbaacchhyy had an ARC version of this cooler...

http://www.users.on.net/~hydra/images/toymods/pic0 00024.jpg

Just need to get it welded up with new pipes, and at least one new end tank... and get that BOV taken off, a pipe welded on, and all that so I can use it as a plub back Razz
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 03 September 2004 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
going all stainless on the GT4 .. easier , comes in the bits i need at a good price + mate can weld it for me where needed Wink

the aloy end tanks on the cooler make up for blingage factor ..

and rocket industries have pretty cheap silicon reducers/joiners too ( compared to other places ive tried )
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 03 September 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah jeez,
I really could not be fucked reading all of this, but honestly aluminium cooler pipes to save weight, Fuck all 200grams. Are we building multi million dollar race cars here or wat. For bling bling i used stainless cooler pipes which are polished, for price if you dont give a shit how it looks mild steel, and if you can afford it the ultimate would be aluminium but i doubt in the applications of ppl who frequent these forums it would make fuck all difference. You could have more performance gained from a PROPERLY desinged pipe work, ie. SHORT as possible and smaller diameter pipe work to get the flow up. I would think in our application that LAG associated with filling up 4000000000000000 cc of intercooler pipework would be more important that the benifits of using aluminium cooler pipes. Remember we aint building RACE CARS ffs.

Cheers Adam
Wildsupra
Regular

October 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 08 September 2004 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ALLOY, MILD STEEL, STAINLESS STEEL, TITANIUM?????

are you guys all freakin nutz.
its obvious that the best material for intercooler pipes is PVC Laughing i found the cheapest place to get it from was bunnings, although they do keep it in a strange location, one would think it would be in the automotive section, but fo sum strange reason they keep it in the reticulation section Confused
they even stock 45 and 90 degree mandrel bends, its farkn fantaztic. Not to mention the pre fabricated BOV inline adaptors.

Hope this helps
MWUHAHHAHAAH

Matty
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 08 September 2004 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My friends laughed at me when I bought PVC pipe for my intercooler plumbing. Well, who's laughing now? Razz
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 08 September 2004 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe I'm mistaken, but surely you want a lot of heat transfer from your intercooler pipes to the atmosphere? Isn't that the point of intercooling - dispersing the heat generated by the compression of air? I guess it depends on your setup, and where the pipes go, but wouldn't insulating the intercooler pipes have the effect of retaining the heat inside the piping?.

The only place where insulated pipes would be effective is if they are protecting your cooled air (post intercooler) from a radiated heat source (like if your intake pipe passes over the exhaust manifold).

[Updated on: Wed, 08 September 2004 23:44]

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 09 September 2004 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The intercooler does the cooling... not the pipes
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 09 September 2004 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Thu, 09 September 2004 12:53

The intercooler does the cooling... not the pipes

So the aim to keep the air as hot as possible until it gets to the intercooler? Or to stop heat being radiated out through the piping as well as the cooler? I would have thought that the air post-turbo and even post intercooler is usually going to be hotter than the environmental air (unless is cases of extreme heat soak ...where the turbo isn't going to be used anyway such as idling or slow traffic) Or is the air sufficently heated by the radiator etc to make it hotter than the intake air in the piping?

Not that it makes much difference - but it'd be interesting to hook up some thermocouples and a datalogger to find out which material suits the car best.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 09 September 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most of your intercooler pipes are being routed through the engine bay. Do you have any idea how hot it can get inside your engine bay? Turbo cars especially get incredibly hot under there!
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 09 September 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

My friends laughed at me when I bought PVC pipe for my intercooler plumbing. Well, who's laughing now?

does PVC really work??
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 09 September 2004 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brett_celicacoupe wrote on Thu, 09 September 2004 14:16

Quote:

My friends laughed at me when I bought PVC pipe for my intercooler plumbing. Well, who's laughing now?

does PVC really work??

note the part that i bolded

Wildsupra wrote on Thu, 09 September 2004 00:16

ALLOY, MILD STEEL, STAINLESS STEEL, TITANIUM?????

are you guys all freakin nutz.
its obvious that the best material for intercooler pipes is PVC Laughing i found the cheapest place to get it from was bunnings, although they do keep it in a strange location, one would think it would be in the automotive section, but fo sum strange reason they keep it in the reticulation section Confused
they even stock 45 and 90 degree mandrel bends, its farkn fantaztic. Not to mention the pre fabricated BOV inline adaptors.

Hope this helps
MWUHAHHAHAAH

Matty

[Updated on: Thu, 09 September 2004 04:25]

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 09 September 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Someone should show pics of their PVC intercooler piping Smile
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 09 September 2004 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Considering i have never tried this but is a car enginnerable with pvc intercooler pipe work?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 09 September 2004 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sarcasm people, SARCASM. Razz

Oh and did someone ask for pics? From the Norbie archives:

http://www.norbie.net/Supra/PVC1.jpg

http://www.norbie.net/Supra/PVC2.jpg

http://www.norbie.net/Supra/PVC3.jpg

http://www.norbie.net/Supra/PVC4.jpg
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 09 September 2004 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alainve wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 19:08

Mild steel is the best material for barbeque plates.
-disperses heat evenly, hard wearing generally non toxic

Stainless is shit for barbeque plates.
- poor conductor of heat needs massive burners to heat evenly without cold spots. harder wearing than mild steel but is heavier and some grades are toxic

Aluminium is also shithouse for barbeque plates.
- altho the best dispersion of heat for even cooking also has downsides of very soft so plastic utensils should be used to avoid shavings in your sausages and has also been linked to alzheimers disease.

in the end stop arguing like biatches over small things and think about your sausages

now that some new materials have been introduced ill add some more

PVC is NOT to be used for barbeque plates due to high temperatures and extreme conditions of a barbeque. highly toxic with low melting point(before your sausages are cooked) also extermely soft means utensils should not be used on it.
Wildsupra
Regular

October 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 09 September 2004 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NORBIE - your a champ ay, i am also using the new found underated material known as PVC on my 1J so far no probs at all and it has been on there for just over a year, since i did my 1J conversion. And yes every laughed and sed it wont work blah blah blah, the thing is in stock form i managed to run a 14flat with the only mod being the PVC pipes, now there were other supras at the drags at the same time with mods, including boost and xzaust and even cooler which were runnin 14.1's

Do the maths people, its obvious that the PVC made a KILLA difference to 1/4 times due to there excellent flow capabilities Laughing
well maybe it woz my superb driving Rolling Eyes

Matty
p.s. dont be afraid of the PVC!!!!!
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 09 September 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got a new cooler to put on, where would the best place to get some mild steel piping be? Im on the northern beaches if anyone knows a good place.

I also need to go from existing piping, which I think is 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch upto 3inch for the new cooler, whats the best/cheapest way to do this? Do they have size changes in mild steel?
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 09 September 2004 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 09 September 2004 18:32

http://www.norbie.net/Supra/PVC4.jpg

While I think that using silicon connectors, alum etc is a total wank...after seeing that pic, I might just spend a few bucks on steel or rubber piping and some rubber bends!!! Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 09 September 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
didn't you keep blowing the pipes up with too much boost norbie?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 09 September 2004 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Um... that's a 6M in those pics, and I never turbocharged it, and I thought it was fairly obvious I wasn't being serious! Razz

For the remainder of the humour impaired, DON'T use PVC for your intercooler piping. Thankyou. That is all.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 09 September 2004 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you got me!
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 09 September 2004 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, PVC HAS been used before !!!!

http://www.jblmk3.com/id1_tests_for_pvc_intercoole r_hardpipes.htm

Not that I would, but you never know !!!!!
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 09 September 2004 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3T-GTE wrote on Thu, 02 September 2004 12:19

Interesting thread...

Just wondering if mick knows/related to / is this person http://www.billzilla.org/smugstain.zip???
He certainly sounds familiar. Wink

I could be wrong though. Embarassed

Shane, So what have you decided on as the best solution for your situation / budget?

ahahah if that is you kingmick you look just like i expected
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 09 September 2004 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i remeber seeing a 4agze at toyota day a few years back that had PVC intercooler pipeing to a front mount i/c. not sure if i have any pics of it though.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 10 September 2004 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stock jza70 cooler piping has a couple of plasticy/rubbery bends that go under the front radiator support thingy. Not as soft as rubber, and a definate plastic feel to them.

Coping with heat and oil would be a problem with PVC piping.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 10 September 2004 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I ran a small section of pvc when i had my 1g-gte in my celica. used the stock rubber hose to. worked quite well..
Wildsupra
Regular

October 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 10 September 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ohh NORBIE i thought u was being serious hahaha, although i didnt beeleev that it was connected on the 6M.

Ok so u guys still think its too dodgy ay, ahh well duznt matter, tha proof is in da pudding Cool and while it keeps holding up on the 1J i aint plannin on changing it.

Matty
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 10 September 2004 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how good is that! love it! now imagine painting the pvc in gold crome paint!bling bling bling! if it works and its in your budget range use it.what about AG pipe or yellow gas pipe(if it can hold gas under pressure it will hold boost safley). those pvc pics have made my day! id like to say that i would never ever give someone a hard time, ever, if they used pvc and did it themselves and it was all they could afford. its better to try than to be a dreamer. well done, you have shown what can be done on a tight budget, if it works its all good! materials make a small diffrence, when you are chasing a few horsepower they make a huge diffrence.
mick
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 10 September 2004 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For the record, the photos above are a mock-up of the intercooler pipes for my planned 6M-GTE project (which somehow turned into a 2JZ-GTE project, but that's another story). The idea was to get the general shape sorted using PVC, then take it to an exhaust shop and get them to replicate it in mild steel. It's a good way to save yourself a tow to the exhaust shop if you're a DIY'er. Smile
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 10 September 2004 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, the Crown is running a section of 3inch PVC piping in the intercooler tract at the moment. (mind you it is AFTER the awesome Garrett IC in the nose) 11.04@125 with PVC piping. Sounds rather stupid eh? I was planning to change it-but considering it is out of sight and mind, and has provided no probs thus far, it's staying right where it is. Razz

You can use it, but you need to assess the temps it will see-both internal and external.

Sean

thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

theory Question Fri, 17 September 2004 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK back to what could have been a really good discussion Smile

IMHO Mild steal shoul dbe avoided if $$ allow, If your like me and your car has regular periods of not being driven then the chance of it Oxidising internally isn't something that apeals to me.

Stainless verse Alloy.

BOTH will work very nicely, are great and flexible mediums for a tallented fabricator and will last for bloody ages !
The question I have is this:

After the intercooler the air charge is nice and cold (if all is working well) Given the underbonnet temps will always be higher than the freshly cooled intake charge which medium (Alloy or stainless) will deliver the coolest charge to the throttle body for

a) - A road car (prelonged driving periods)
b) - A 1/4 mile car (short quick driving periods)

Assume both mediums are of equal thickness Smile

A short reason as to why would be nice and punctuation is a requirement Wink Poor spelling (like mine) is acceptable lol

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: theory Question Sat, 18 September 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thetoyman75 wrote on Fri, 17 September 2004 23:26

IMHO Mild steal shoul dbe avoided if $$ allow, If your like me and your car has regular periods of not being driven then the chance of it Oxidising internally isn't something that apeals to me.

That's why you get it HPC coated (internally AND externally), which is what I did. This acts as a great insulator and also eliminates the possibility of corrosion.
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: Intercooler piping Sat, 18 September 2004 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you had the money, could carbon fiber be used for intercooler piping? Apart from cost, what would be the disadvantages of using it?

Cheers

Jeff
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Sat, 18 September 2004 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stumpy wrote on Sun, 19 September 2004 00:59

If you had the money, could carbon fiber be used for intercooler piping? Apart from cost, what would be the disadvantages of using it?

Cheers

Jeff

they have in some jgtc cars
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 22 September 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My personal opinion is use what ever you can get made up easily and within your budget. steel, ally or stainless will work fine on a road car. Your better off spending your time and money improving flow and cooler efficiency.

Now if you want to get all technical about it, here is my 2 cents worth.

Turbo to Intercooler - Use aluminium. This will allow you to start knocking down the inlet temp before the intercooler.
Aluminium has the best heat transfer of the three materials and the compressed air will be a lot hotter than your engine bay temp. Anyone who thinks otherwise obviously has no idea about what happens to air when it is compressed. Yes it will get a little heat soak while sitting at the traffic lights but compared to your on boost temps it is nothing.

Intercooler to inlet - I would use stainless and wrap it in insulation so that the cooled air doesn't get any hotter.

Note my use of colour. Very Happy
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 23 September 2004 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Regarding the price of coating mild steel-$12 a foot hpc inside and out in a choice of colours.
HPC coatings Brendale [bris] 07 38810885. I am taking some dump pipes there tomorrow,havent used it before.1 week turnaround is a bit of a drag but price is reasonable and I love mild steel as being user friendly particularly with ease of availability of mandrel bends etc.
I will definitely try it for my I/cooler piping.
More info and less insults in these posts would be great-but hey,its entertaining for the fence-sitters! :lol:sorry for the empty posts above.Doh!

Cheers.Pete.

[Updated on: Thu, 23 September 2004 16:25]

SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 24 September 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Love this thread. Had to add my 2c.

Why are you getting your dump pipe coated? Turbos run on heat difference*. ie. the temperature before the turbo (in the headers) vs the temperature after the turbo (dump pipe). If you coat the dump pipe it will be hotter in there. Later boost, less boost.

Getting your turbo header coated/wrapped is great, keeps the heat in. Getting your dump pipe coated is good for keeping your firewall cooler.

* heat is a cause of the pressure, not the other way round in turbo exhausts.

As for the topic stuff, I'm with Gold28. I even tried to put some colour in my post.

edit: cause of pressure, not effect. Confused myself.

[Updated on: Fri, 24 September 2004 03:40]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 24 September 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Fri, 24 September 2004 13:34

Getting your turbo header coated/wrapped is great, keeps the heat in. Getting your dump pipe coated is good for keeping your firewall cooler.

It's also good for not melting steering components, for those of us who have the dump pipe almost touching the steering rack. Smile
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Mon, 13 December 2004 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Fri, 24 September 2004 13:34

If you coat the dump pipe it will be hotter in there. Later boost, less boost.

I must disagree, any heat that can be retained inside the dump pipe will maintain gas velocity and reduce back pressure.

All good for turbocharger performance.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 December 2004 01:29]

monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Mon, 13 December 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manmx83 wrote on Fri, 24 September 2004 02:15

Regarding the price of coating mild steel-$12 a foot hpc inside and out in a choice of colours.
HPC coatings Brendale [bris] 07 38810885. I am taking some dump pipes there tomorrow,havent used it before.1 week turnaround is a bit of a drag but price is reasonable and I love mild steel as being user friendly particularly with ease of availability of mandrel bends etc.
I will definitely try it for my I/cooler piping.
More info and less insults in these posts would be great-but hey,its entertaining for the fence-sitters! :lol:sorry for the empty posts above.Doh!

Cheers.Pete.

I was quoted alot more than that to get my dump coated, somewhere in the region of $90 a foot.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Mon, 13 December 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Special Ed wrote on Mon, 13 December 2004 12:28

I must disagree, any heat that can be retained inside the dump pipe will maintain gas velocity and reduce back pressure.

All good for turbocharger performance.

You can disagree whatever you want, this IS the internet after all Smile

Wouldn't back pressure suck MORE pressure from the other side of the turbo? Thus making it spin even faster - quicker/more boost.

Please define "back pressure". I don't think its gas moving back towards the engine, or a pressure wave moving back towards the engine?

I thought it was when your exhaust was too thin. By all means have it as big as you want! Just don't keep the heat in it.

By your logic above, why not have a very thin but VERY fast flowing dump & exhaust (which has very high gas velocity) instead of a nice big dump & exhaust?
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Mon, 13 December 2004 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Back presure is any sort of resistance to flow.
Less resistance to flow = more gas can escape the turbine area = more gas can flow freely through the turbo = more HP.

Hot air moves more quickly away from the turbine area. You still need a high volume (big pipes) but a hot big pipe is better still.

Some of the best 1j exhaust systems now incorporate a 4 inch section after the turbo, big volume there = big HP.

SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Mon, 13 December 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Special Ed wrote on Mon, 13 December 2004 14:05

Some of the best 1j exhaust systems now incorporate a 4 inch section after the turbo, big volume there = big HP.

Big volume is great! If it was cold *I* believe it'd be even better. I can't see why high heat (and velocity) would be a good thing (after the turbo). Theres always going to be restrictions on the pipe like cat/muffler.

Trying to think how to test it. Maybe simply do a run before then after putting heat tape on the dump pipe. See if theres any difference in where the boost rises or peaks (and of course see the HP difference).

What do they do on big $$$ turbo drag cars etc.?
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Mon, 13 December 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe put a boost guage on the dump pipe and see what the pressure is when its wrapped vs not wrapped.

All maybes when I don't have a turbo'd car.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Intercooler piping Mon, 13 December 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Mon, 13 December 2004 14:45

Special Ed wrote on Mon, 13 December 2004 14:05

Big volume is great! If it was cold *I* believe it'd be even better. I can't see why high heat (and velocity) would be a good thing (after the turbo). Theres always going to be restrictions on the pipe like cat/muffler.

it's a balancing act.
when you loose heat in an exhaust, you loose both volume (higher density) and velocity, and the properties of the gas change...
friction with a surface is higher with a more dense gas, but velocity also increases friction Wink. you also change the speed of sound in the exhaust gas, but post turbo, this is not a big deal (it is for NA cars)

think of it this way.... take 2 syringes and fill one with water, and the other with chocolate topping. now squirt them both... water is easier to squirt as less resistance... but if you squirt the water faster, there will be more resistance...
same for hot/cold gas.

i also agree that cat/muffler are large restrictions, but by then, the temp and velocity will have decreased markedly anyway (compared to pre/post turbo)

basically we are talking about a 3fold increase/decrease of gas volume.... if someone wants to do some fluid flow calculations (based on straight pipe and normal wall friction), please do Smile

Cya, Stewart
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Mon, 13 December 2004 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Mon, 13 December 2004 13:44

Please define "back pressure". I don't think its gas moving back towards the engine, or a pressure wave moving back towards the engine?

I thought it was when your exhaust was too thin.

SupraPete,

For those of us with a Dyno in the next room Backpressure is easily measured. It is as the name suggests, the amount of pressure in the exhaust at a given load. We regularly test it here under load and at full noise on the Dyno. Its actually quite interesting to see the differences. A 3" mandrel bent exhaust and a 3" mandrel bent exhasut can have some HUGE variances. It really does go to show the importance of having them built by someone who understands gas flow, not just any old exhaust builder.

As for hot verse Cold, I think Stu has that covered lol
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Mon, 13 December 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Mon, 13 December 2004 14:45

[ Theres always going to be restrictions on the pipe like cat/muffler.

it always was a wonder to me why people upgraded the back end (CAT back) of thier exhaust before the front end !!

Once the gas has reached as far as the cat it has cooled /condensed considerably and the flow rate is not as crucial as it is in the first few feet, (ie less than 2).

For perfromace - upgrade the dumps to cat section if you must only do half !! There will be a greater performance increase.

thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Mon, 13 December 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Special Ed wrote on Mon, 13 December 2004 15:57

it always was a wonder to me why people upgraded the back end (CAT back) of thier exhaust before the front end !!

Once the gas has reached as far as the cat it has cooled /condensed considerably and the flow rate is not as crucial as it is in the first few feet, (ie less than 2).

For perfromace - upgrade the dumps to cat section if you must only do half !! There will be a greater performance increase.

Ed,

We get allot of woodducks calling here about exhausts, the easiest way to explain it is that an exhaust system will only flow as well as its worst restriction, (same as an intake)

Backpressure is measured as close to the back of the turbo as is possible, usually the base of the dump pipe. We have been know to measure either side of a cat or muffler if we are tracing a flow blockage in a unflanged system.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Mon, 13 December 2004 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thetoyman75 wrote on Mon, 13 December 2004 15:34

As for hot verse Cold, I think Stu has that covered lol

Covered - yes.

Answer to if its good to thermo wrap a dump pipe - no (not that I could find).

Not knocking the info, was good info, just didn't answer the question/debate.

If its good to keep heat in the exhaust to keep flow up, why not wrap the whole bloody thing in thermo tape etc. to keep the heat in it up to and past the mufflers/cat/etc. Appart from the $$$ expense.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Mon, 13 December 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Special Ed wrote on Mon, 13 December 2004 15:57

Thats where all the sound is.

More sound = more power @ the ears.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Intercooler piping Mon, 13 December 2004 08:04 Go to previous message
SupraPete wrote on Mon, 13 December 2004 15:50

<snip>If it good to keep heat in the exhaust to keep flow up, why not wrap the whole bloody thing in thermo tape etc. to keep the heat in it up to and past the mufflers/cat/etc. Appart from the $$$ expense.

long length of steel (well, the first 2 feet or so down to the cat or first resonator) will suck up some heat (even if wrapped) and you'll get the same issues as mentioned earlier about gas cooling and loosing velocity - i think.

It's also a long run of vibrating pipe to have wrap on - i'd suspect that vibration and general road-debris impact will lead to a short life on anything under the vehicle.

if you were really keen about keeping the heat 'in the gas' then HPC on both side of the pipe would be the go. You'd need a barrier (the HPC) between the gas and the metal - not the metal and the outside atmo.

... but i'm just a dtp/web hack so this is merely conjecture.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 December 2004 08:04]

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3tgte Thermostat which one?
Next Topic:3t-c crank for 2t-geu
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 07:23:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010548114776611 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.