Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Fri, 29 August 2003 02:31 Go to next message
Hey guys,
Been doing some research on a new diff ever since I busted the old T series. I stored a lot of information that I found on the forums and I thought I'd share it with you guys.

F series:
Corona MkII. 4 stud. Drum. 1410mm. 55kg.
MS112 Crown. 5 stud. Disc. 1410mm.

G series:
RN2x Hilux: 5 stud. Drums. 1370mm. 80kg. (LSD centre is 5kg more heavy). (Converted wet weight: 88kg).
RN4x Hilux. 5 stud. Drums. 1410mm.
Hiace. 1570mm.

All Hilux's have a leaf-sprung live axle, hence no panhard rod and no mounting points for trailing arms or coil springs. So if you want to shove one into a Celica, you have to chop the mounting brackets off your Celica axle housing and have it welded to the Hilux axle housing.

TA23/RA23 rear end is 1365mm and weighs 62kg.

Here are a bunch of good reads:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=3647
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=7079

Converting Hilux 5 stud to 4 stud:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=11213#msg_num_16

Hilux rear discs:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=16645
http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/technical/mx23 /hiluxdiff.html

F series rear discs:
http://www.toymods.org.au/xA2x_rear_discs.html

F series FAQ (including lots of pix):
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=60675

Post any additional notes or corrections that you want to add so that we have a centralised thread where all this information can be found.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 March 2005 09:59]

Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Fri, 29 August 2003 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Excellent work Nark. Any chance of converting this into a tech article, since this topic seems to come up once a month or so? Smile
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Fri, 29 August 2003 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have done a Hilux disc conversion tech article. It is in the gallery section.

Nark, I'm not entirely certain the Hiace G series diff is any stonger than a Hilux one.

PS. Excellent work.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 August 2003 03:35]

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Fri, 29 August 2003 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i too have done a little bit of reserch into the diff's on all the series.

Hiace diff's are no stronger then the Hilux, all the diff's within a series are as strong as each other.

However An LSD g series is going to take more abuse then a Open G series diff.

I'd also like to correct the weight of a complete hilux LSD converted to fit into a coil rear car is 88 kgs.

cheers
Simon
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Fri, 29 August 2003 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK. Amended the Hiace thing.

Plan is to turn this into a tech article. Just don't have time right now so I decided to post it up.

Re: The weights.
There were a couple of G series weights I found. One was 80, one was 81 plus the extra 5 kg for the LSD. Now we've got yours at 88.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Fri, 29 August 2003 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well we converted one, added the required mounts, fitted centre, and LSD unit and filled it with oil andf then weighed it on an electronic scale and got bang on 88 kg's Wink

i guess thats a real indication of the weight
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Fri, 29 August 2003 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark I suggest you apply fuzzy logic and say they weigh anywhere from 80 to 90 kg. Last time I looked bathroom scales weren't a scientific instrument! Very Happy
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Fri, 29 August 2003 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah. OK. AFAIK, all the other weights were dry weights.

I'll append your weight in as a complete converted wet weight though.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Fri, 29 August 2003 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nark, mind if i steal that summary and some other collected info, and whack it on my site?

cheers
ed
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Fri, 29 August 2003 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I feature in some of those hilux axle conversion posts so I had better chip in. The G series open centre RN25 axle weighs 81kg, dry, and 85kg with an LSD centre, before you fit the suspension mounting points for your car. I know all about dodgy 'bathroom' scales and I have a test weight accurate to 250g which I use to check on the scales, as well weighing everything twice. The std complete RA23 rear axle weighs 62kg.
End of story.
Mitch.
PS: Great work Nark, well done !
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Fri, 29 August 2003 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great work Nark

The F series Diffs can also be found under the full imported MS50 series crowns.

I've also been told that the F series is the front diff in a 4x4 Lux??? Can this be confirmed.

Also just a suggestion for this thread, can HP figures be put up for these diffs. I.e. what can the diffs put up with in RWkw
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Sat, 30 August 2003 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, 4WD Hilux's with IFS have an F-series front diff.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Sun, 31 August 2003 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Point worth adding is the need to custom up your tailshaft so that the flange at the diff end, be it Hilux G or F series, meets up with whatever you have coming from the gearbox side of things, or two piece tail shaft, whatever.
Mitch.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Mon, 01 September 2003 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think we could have quite a bit of a mess if we paid too much attention to the weights. Maybe I'll just put a disclaimer saying that the weights are approximate.. Smile

ed_ma61 wrote on Fri, 29 August 2003 23:06

nark, mind if i steal that summary and some other collected info, and whack it on my site?

Go ahead Ed. Smile

TheStitt wrote on Sat, 30 August 2003 09:58

The F series Diffs can also be found under the full imported MS50 series crowns.

Got any info on it? Number of studs? Disc or drum?

TheStitt wrote on Sat, 30 August 2003 09:58

Also just a suggestion for this thread, can HP figures be put up for these diffs. I.e. what can the diffs put up with in RWkw

I think that'd be asking for trouble... Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 01 September 2003 00:14]

TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Tue, 02 September 2003 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok with the Crowns,

MS50 and 60 Series: The Austrailian Assembled ones had Borguner Diffs in them, the fully imported ones had the F series diffs. All where drum.

Ms70 and 80 series: I'm not sure if there where Aus assembled ones or just imported, again the imported ones would of had F Diffs. Also disc brakes may have been started on this model.

MS112-On: All F series diff, disc.

I know for a fact that the MS112 and Ms50 have the same width diff and i would safley assume that the rest of them would as well. However there is a slight diffenerence between the AIM and Imported ones.

All crowns are 5 stud 114.3 (Ford) patteren

Like everything people with more knowledge than me please amend this, to my knoledge this is all correct.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Tue, 02 September 2003 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what is the width of the crown live axle?
I would be very interested to know!
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Tue, 02 September 2003 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karl as it says above 1410mm
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Tue, 14 December 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stitt,

Local MS85 has the F series Diff. Makes a great almost bolt on swap for the MS65 Smile Those Borg warner diffs are shithouse. I busted mine on Dirt...... With a stock 4M !
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Wed, 15 December 2004 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about if it's a diesel hilux diff? IE something like a CN27 ? Are they the same diff?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Thu, 16 December 2004 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
read the Toyota ID plate. it gives model, year, axle, gearbox engine and everything. You can work it out from that.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Thu, 16 December 2004 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G series diffs come in 2 pinion and 4 pinion models, obviously the 4 pinion are stronger. You can get both in LSD.

Our local 22R bunderas have 2 pinion G series in the rear 4.3:1 ratio. The 2LT turbo diesels usually have 4 pinion G series in rear 4.875:1, good luck trying to get one of these.

Also the front diff of 80 series Landcruisers and Bunderas are G series but have the pinion mounted at the top of the crown wheel not conventional bottom and are therefore called "high pinion"

Useless 4WD info finished

Carry on.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Fri, 17 December 2004 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn this is an old thread... you must have been bored Rod!
AE25
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Fri, 17 December 2004 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh
would just like to amend the ms112 crown diff width
i have one and it measures 1470mm disk to disk. also these have an internal drum handbrake, 160mm solid disk. also there was an ms110 at the wrecker and the diff looked the same. these are a 3link + panhard (only one top link). can take pics if theres interest. the 5 stud have a bigger spigot ring to locate the wheels so say good bye to your stock 4 stud wheels.

my bro bought an ae85 with a ms112 diff conversion with ae86 mounts etc. ive pinched the housing currently and put my 3.9:1 locker 4stud internals into it. given it absolute assholes with burnouts/drift etc and it handles it fine (160rwhp 3tgte ke70)
also yh50 hiace G series and late 90's hilux surf (not sure what code was) G series measured 1470 too. 5stud

also i once bought a jdm te71 wreck with hilux lsd diff conversion. after much searching to find what model the diff came from it was actually a hiace yh51 (or 50 series) they have a few different variations in the mounting tho.. some are leaf, some 5 link, some have longer bottom links with the shock mounted to the back of em.
mine was the middle one and was bolted in 'as is' with modified panhard but the te71 links were jammed out a little so had a bit of squish on the rubbers.. when i changed to nolathanes i couldn't do that anymore. Crying or Very Sad also this diff had te71 disk conversion and the calipers were rubbing on the housing as the disk are too small for it. heh oh and the lsd wasnt original as the axles were jammed up tight to the lsd spring retainers and had broken them
some random F/G info
badboybubby
Regular

On Probation

March 2004
Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Tue, 25 January 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just got offerd a 4WD hilux diff measuring 1240mm is he measuring from the right places?
Wezelton
Regular

July 2004
Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Sat, 12 February 2005 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As alot of us have been studying the good ol' axel swap, and there is heaps of info.. But i think we need a bit of a list of what fits what car, I've been trying to get a G series diff for my RA60 celica and yes tehre is enough info here to do it, but a list would just make it a bit easier.. Two peice tail shaft, what sort of work is involved in doing this ? im not too familiar with the idea..

peace wes
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Sun, 13 February 2005 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone have an idea on rebuild costs for a MA61 LSD including new clutch plates?
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Summary: Live rear F/G diffs Mon, 14 February 2005 01:14 Go to previous message
Any idea what the ol' T series from the ra60 weighs?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Just got my self an RA65 CELICA !
Next Topic:oil pressure gauge info
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 20:33:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070829391479492 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.