Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Brad_
Occasional Poster

September 2004
m series engine repair Tue, 14 December 2004 06:11 Go to next message
hey guys, here's the situation.

82' mteu. i need to replace the crankshaft, bearings and pistons. i just got another entire bottom half of the same engine. my head, valves, sparks, dohc, etc are running fine and weren't damaged. i need to combine my running head with the running bottom end. do-able....right? i've no idea how to get my engine apart or out yet...but i've got a ma61 manual on the way and borrowing tools necessary to pull it out.
i know i'm gonna have my fair share of headaches with this, as i really don't know what i'm doing, but i may as well give it a decent go before i give up on the old girl.
at the moment, my first problem is that i now have a bottom half sittin outside growing rust, and i need to keep the crank etc in good nick until i can put it in. i want to try and flush out the coolant chambers, they are heavily rusted up, does that really matter? i want to just clean it up firstly, kill any rust that is growing on the bolts and joints etc. how do i look after the crank while its exposed?

by the way, a massive shout out to wilbo who gave me this engine for nothing, great help man, thanks heaps!! Very Happy

brad.
  Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: m series engine repair Tue, 14 December 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe, to start with I'd rip the crank out of that block asap. (I cracked the main pulley nut for you Smile they can sometimes be quite annoying), so its just a matter of taking the flex plate off the back of the motor, the rear seal and cover, the front timing cover (which already has all the bolts out of it), then undoing the main bearing caps (mark/number them if you plan to reuse them).

I'd give it a wipe off with an oily rag, and then oil the bearing surfaces (clean oiled rag/crc). Hopefully the crank will come up ok...

I'd also clean and oil the bores as soon as possible as well if your trying to get away with out a rebore!

so yeah, try to wipe the surface rust off with an oiled rag, and then leave it oiled would be my plan of attack.

also the manual is out of a MX62, but pretty well the same Smile

if you want to have a look at the bottom end of an M series engine the MA61 TSRM online has good stuff (its a 5mge but pretty well the same applies). easy to find on the net, if you get stuck finding it just yell.

Cheers
Wilbo
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: m series engine repair Tue, 14 December 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
See if you can find a 5M crank (to make a 2M). That will take the capacity to 2.25 litres if you leave the bore alone, will bump up compression to somewhere near 8:1 (up from a pathetic 7.6:1) which will help with torque and also spool up. It will also be a shitload easier to deal with engine machinists who will have seen 5Ms but never an M. If the bores are stuffed, then you will be in a spot of bother - this will necessitate a rebore and, though I have never checked, I really doubt you'll easily find oversize MTEU pistons. Have you checked the price for a gasket set yet? Bring a chair.

A cautionary note - before sinking tonnes of money into a rebuild (particularly as you are a poverty stricken student), price it out. You may find it cheaper to do a 7M conversion. It would certainly be better.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: m series engine repair Tue, 14 December 2004 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I totally agree with GT, I sank a boat load of money on my 5M-E and it isn't flash on performace (ask Allan) though I wanted to keep the car as orginal as possible. Take GT's advice really seriously and if you can do the 7M conversion, do it! You will be satisfied with the conversion... I wish I did Sad

Cheers.
Brad_
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: m series engine repair Tue, 14 December 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok.
well its obvious i'm trying to do this as cheap as possible. so i appreciate your advice. i wanted to explore this avenue because i figured now that i have a crank, all i need is new bearings and a gasket set, i thought this would be the best way to keep costs down. its not a very powerful motor and the turbo wasn't performing well when i damaged the crank. am i clutching at straws attempting this rebuild and just give up on it now?

what do i need to buy to actually do this?
if parts alone is going to be in excess of 500 bucks then i dunno if this is possible for me at all.

i'll do more research during the week and come back with what i've found. cheers fellas.

brad.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: m series engine repair Tue, 14 December 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brad_ wrote on Tue, 14 December 2004 22:58

...i figured now that i have a crank, all i need is new bearings and a gasket set, i thought this would be the best way to keep costs down. its not a very powerful motor and the turbo wasn't performing well when i damaged the crank. am i clutching at straws attempting this rebuild and just give up on it now?

what do i need to buy to actually do this?
if parts alone is going to be in excess of 500 bucks then i dunno if this is possible for me at all.

The gasket set is around $350. Bearings will set you back about $150. You're making a wild assumption that the crank is perfect - even if it is within tolerances you'll still have to linish it add another $50. You're over budget already and you haven't included hot tanking, honing, reringing (if wear/tolerances allow).
Brad_
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: m series engine repair Tue, 14 December 2004 12:58 Go to previous message
ok, cheers gt.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:strange lock up problem
Next Topic:SIMPLE CONVERSION
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-