Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Installing MX83 wheel bearings Tue, 14 December 2004 12:17 Go to next message
My new MX83 wheel bearings arrived for the coilover conversion, and they're monstrously huge bastards, they look like they belong on a truck!! Anyway they're totally different to the RA23/MA61 bearings I'm used to dealing with, so I'm a bit nervous about tackling this job on my own. Can anyone tell me if there's something special I need to do, or any potential fuck-ups I should be aware of? Even better is there a service manual available online that I can take a squiz at?

Thanks guys, any help appreciated. This is the last thing I need to do before my coilover/brake conversion can go on the car!! Very Happy Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Installing MX83 wheel bearings Tue, 14 December 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shouldn't you just pack them like a normal bearing?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Installing MX83 wheel bearings Tue, 14 December 2004 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Packing the bearing isn't a problem, but pulling the hub apart and putting it back together the right way is what scares me... it's totally different to what I'm used to!

The MX83 uses a single giant double-row bearing about an inch and a half wide... this is quite unlike the two narrow bearings on either side of the hub as found in an MA61. Bah, I should have taken a photo!
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: Installing MX83 wheel bearings Tue, 14 December 2004 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could have a look at toyotacressida.com in my factory service manual itsays-1 remove front wheel 2 remove disc brake caliper and rotor [matchmark the rotor and hub b4 seperating] 3 remove the grease cap taking care not to damage it. 4 remove abs sensor.5 remove axle nut.6.remove axle hub from steering knuckle taking care not to place the axle hub down to damage the abs sensor rotor. the good book then tells us to use a special puller to remove oil seal fom the hub with numerous warnings not to damage the abs goodies,to then remove the snap ring with appropriate pliers and to then use a press to remove the hub bearing.
Looks like its remove the hub,take it and the new bearing to a brake shop and have them press old out and new in? torque-axle hub to steering knuckle 147 N-m ABS sensor 12N-m brake caliper 91N-m It also says use a new axle nut.
Good Luck.If you want a manual-carmanualguy on ebay
Cheers.Pete. Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Installing MX83 wheel bearings Wed, 15 December 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 14 December 2004 22:16

Packing the bearing isn't a problem, but pulling the hub apart and putting it back together the right way is what scares me... it's totally different to what I'm used to!

The MX83 uses a single giant double-row bearing about an inch and a half wide... this is quite unlike the two narrow bearings on either side of the hub as found in an MA61. Bah, I should have taken a photo!

Oh I see.
Well, your fucked then, AHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Rolling Eyes

Dunno man, can't help you.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Installing MX83 wheel bearings Wed, 15 December 2004 12:36 Go to previous message
Thanks manmx83, that's enough to convince me it's not a job I can do myself. I'll be having a chat to the nearest brake/suspension shop!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:86 panel Q...
Next Topic:looking for GLEN BOOTH, Melbourne :)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 12:07:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043139457702637 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.