Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
willjudge
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Hey guys + RT104 Mon, 13 December 2004 22:10 Go to next message
Hey everyone I'm from over in New Zealand. I've got a 1977 RT104 Corona with an 18-R in it. Currently I have an 18-RGEU with 40mm Mikuni/Solex carbs, extractors, fuel pressure regulator and various other bits sitting on my garage ready to have its gaskets refreshed and find a new home inside my car. Other than that the car is running on 13" ROH Minilites and is being lowered as I type this with stiffer Munroe shocks. Oh, and a tacho mounted inside the dash. The car has 114kms on it and is in mint condition, only a bit of rust under the rear windscreen and perhaps on one corner guard. I'll get some pics up once I've got the car back, gonna post in tech now about my motor Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: Hey guys + RT104 Tue, 14 December 2004 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like a nice car. I will look forward to seeing the pics.

Can you tell me, have you ever seen a Corona RT114 hardtop like in my avatar over in NZ?

I'm having no luck finding one in Aus and I'm wondering if they were sold over there.

Cheers.
willjudge
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Hey guys + RT104 Tue, 14 December 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure I've only ever seen my one and the wagon version of the RT nose. The one model after's coupe I've seen, but it's all square and rank... Sorted me out some 205/60r13's with white lettering (hard as what to get here).

I'll keep an eye out for the coupe though, the RT Corona's were the best IMHO
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: Hey guys + RT104 Tue, 14 December 2004 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I've found one of the model before (1970-73 RT8*) for sale on trademe.co.nz and I have seen one example of the model after (1979-1982 RT13*) hardtop here in Oz that came from NZ.

Note that most Corona models from the mid 60s to early 80s start with RT. Its the RT10* and RT11* series that I like best.

So far I have tried trademe.co.nz and autotrader.co.nz with no luck. Basically nothing pre 1980's.

There must be old cars for sale somewhere? Newspaper websites?
Where do you find old cars online in NZ anyway?

[Updated on: Tue, 14 December 2004 05:26]

willjudge
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Hey guys + RT104 Tue, 14 December 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got mine from my Grandma Very Happy only 114kays and in MINT cond inside and out. I'd say browse car forums, oldschool.co.nz/toyspeed.co.nz but the car would still be over here, and shipping cars to the West Island is $$$
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: Hey guys + RT104 Wed, 15 December 2004 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$$$ to ship from East Sydney (Auckland) to Aus is a lot cheaper than from Japan or USA! Laughing

Thanks for the websites.
willjudge
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Hey guys + RT104 Wed, 15 December 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Touche...

Any tips on storing engines?
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: Hey guys + RT104 Wed, 15 December 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are building it now and it is going to be stored for more than a couple of months before use, use assembly lube on all the bearing surfaces, cam lobes etc. Oil will drain away after a few weeks leaving the bearing surfaces unprotected.

Put a teaspoon of oil into each bore and replace the spark plug. Block off intake, exhaust and breathers with clean rags or even cardboard to avoid dust/dirt getting inside.

Turn the engine over by hand regularly - say once a week if possible.

These might not all be essential, but they will help the engine last longer and have yet to fail me.

Cheers.
willjudge
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Hey guys + RT104 Wed, 15 December 2004 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Currently the motor is sitting in my garage on blocks. It i sbasicalyl complete and was runnign when it came out of a car (apparantly), many moons ago. I'm going to get a complete gasket set for the I/E/eocker/etc so I may as well have the head done for me by a mech while it's out of the car. That gives you a basic idea of how the engine is. Complete, rocker cover off, oil drained.

All ports are blocked with newspaper, plugs are in.

[Updated on: Wed, 15 December 2004 11:08]

bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: Hey guys + RT104 Fri, 17 December 2004 02:33 Go to previous message
Hi,

While you have the sump off (to replace the gasket) turn the engine upside down and pull off at least one main bearing cap and big end cap. Check the condition of the bearings and crank journals. Then replace and retorque them.

Also shine a torch in and have a look at the bottom of the bores and pistons. But if you are taking the head off, you will be able to see better from the top anyway.

Cheers.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:NEW TOPIC HAS BEEN MADE!!!
Next Topic:WRX blue RA40 celica update (now fully painted)... with pics
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 12:58:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051529407501221 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.