Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 01:49 Go to next message
This thread has no point other than showing off the cool photo I took of my ferrets, Felix and Jasper!

http://www.ferretclub.org.au/admin/photos/Ferrets_1.JPG

I know most of you don't really care...but tough! Razz
  Send a private message to this user    
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are they on a ferret hammock?
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Their favourite hammock no less!!

They have about 7 or 8, but they always use that one which was their 1st and is starting to get torn and smelly!
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool ferrets.... I wonder if they smell as bad as my friend's ones.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ferrets don't generally smell, their cages do if they are not kept clean, but that is hardly the ferret's fault!
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they're cool looking ferrets Very Happy

all animals will smell bad if you dont clean them/after them Razz
Simon
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ferrets rock! I want one. Crying or Very Sad
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon wrote on Wed, 15 December 2004 13:38

You are a ferret. Rolling Eyes
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the compliments!!

Seeing as someone bought up ferrets smelling, time for a rant!

Ferret Society of Canberra

De-Scenting

For many years now in the US and UK ferrets have been undergoing the drastic surgical procedure of
having their scent glands removed and many books still refer to the surgical practice known as de-scenting.

This is mostly due to the fact that there is a general misconception that the anal glands are responsible for a ferret's body odor. This is not true! Better education and more un-descented ferrets are proving by experience that de-sexing is all that is needed to reduce a ferret's body odor.

Ferret welfare societies and clubs classify de-scenting as cosmetic surgery and a large number of vets will now only perform the surgery for medical reasons, such as blocked glands. Ferrets will generally only use the glands when scared or threatened, so de-scenting only removes the ferret's greatest defense against larger predators.

We do not support de-scenting unless there is a medical reason to do so. It is an unnecessary surgical procedure.

Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Get 2 so they have someone to play with while you are at work all day!
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squid wrote on Wed, 15 December 2004 13:43

Get 2 so they have someone to play with while you are at work all day!

Even better Simon, get a job..... Then you can go to work and leave your ferrets to play with themselves all day. Razz Twisted Evil
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont let AE86slut around if you have ferrets,the dirty cnt will try en shelve the poor little buggers Very Happy ,them and anything else up to the size of a jack russell Laughing
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it sucks that they're banned in queensland ;(

they look like very cute and playful creatures and from what i've heard, very smart litle buggers.

i reckon they'd be great friends with our tail-less cat Ripley (once they got over the urge to bite, scratch and kill each other).

do they cohabitate well with dogs? just curious.

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the laws in Queensland really do need a good look at. The laws for not having rabbits and ferrets was all good a few years ago because there was reason for it, but there is no reason these days.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apparently the co-habitiate with almost any animal, just more play mates Smile

Edit: Ill let you know in January when my puppy arrives.

[Updated on: Wed, 15 December 2004 04:04]

Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 15 December 2004 14:43

Yeah the laws in Queensland really do need a good look at. The laws for not having rabbits and ferrets was all good a few years ago because there was reason for it, but there is no reason these days.

The valid reason was??

Given that there are NO WILD FERRET POPULATIONS then it is completly absurd that an escaped ferret will form a breeding population.

Ferrets are a completely domestic animal, which are 100% dependant on humans. A ferret released into the wild will barely survive for a week. They are bad hunters, they will generally starve themselves to death rather than change diet, they cant find water.

As you are about to look it up on the web, take note that the wild ferret populations reported in europe and NZ are "Black Footed Ferrets" Which is not actually a ferret, it is a completely different species.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Wed, 15 December 2004 14:23

Dont let AE86slut around if you have ferrets,the dirty cnt will try en shelve the poor little buggers Very Happy ,them and anything else up to the size of a jack russell Laughing

Still having nightmares Nath? Evil or Very Mad
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Wed, 15 December 2004 15:32

Laughing

i just want my dog back man Confused
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Wed, 15 December 2004 15:40

Laughing

What happened between you two? Confused
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Wed, 15 December 2004 15:10

Laughing

I think slutty boy put a 5" peice of PVC up his own arse and then proceded to lure nathans dog up there with some kind of meaty treat, steak perhaps? and now the dog is no where to be found.

Thats what i heard anyway Rolling Eyes
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you get them into the rabbit holes at all?
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, I am not a hunting type person..

I have tubes all over my living room tho!
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can u get stoats?

i want a stoat

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/img/life/stoat311003.jpg
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squid wrote on Wed, 15 December 2004 14:11

The valid reason was??

Given that there are NO WILD FERRET POPULATIONS then it is completly absurd that an escaped ferret will form a breeding population.

Ferrets are a completely domestic animal, which are 100% dependant on humans. A ferret released into the wild will barely survive for a week. They are bad hunters, they will generally starve themselves to death rather than change diet, they cant find water.

As you are about to look it up on the web, take note that the wild ferret populations reported in europe and NZ are "Black Footed Ferrets" Which is not actually a ferret, it is a completely different species.

The reason was something to do with a strain of virus that could be only carried such animals as the rabbit, ferret and a few others. This virus causing native Australian birds to die or something along those lines.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lang wrote on Wed, 15 December 2004 16:15

can u get stoats?

i want a stoat

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/img/life/stoat311003.jpg

Hell yeah, I want one. How sexy is that Shocked
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know about sexy Confused Surprised Neutral but they are definitely cute. Smile
The Wombat
Regular

February 2004
Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
till it bites you on the hand straight through to the bone Confused Laughing
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 15 December 2004 17:27

Squid wrote on Wed, 15 December 2004 14:11

The valid reason was??

The reason was something to do with a strain of virus that could be only carried such animals as the rabbit, ferret and a few others. This virus causing native Australian birds to die or something along those lines.

The rabbit and ferret laws are both because of the risk of feral populations. The probablity that a disease can be transferred between rabbits and ferrets is low, given that rodents and carivores (Note: Ferrets are Carnivores, not rodents) have completely different immune system. In fact the Ferrets immune system is much closer to a humans (they can (and do) catch most human diseases, flu etc).

All the reasons for the queensland ban are caused by ignorance and do gooder greenies (who happen to be ignorant as well, as ferret pose no risk to wild populations!)
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Wed, 15 December 2004 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have heard of people keeping stoats as pets, can't think of any in Aus though!

They can be tamed (I think). A Ferrets jaw can also easily crush a finger bone, but they choose not to. Something you have to remind yourself of when they to have a chomp (I have been bitten twice, both entirely my own fault!!), they could crush your finger but they like you so much they have chosen not to!
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Wed, 15 December 2004 15:53

Laughing

I think slutty boy put a 5" peice of PVC up his own arse and then proceded to lure nathans dog up there with some kind of meaty treat, steak perhaps? and now the dog is no where to be found.

It didn't happen that way at all...... No No No
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Thu, 16 December 2004 11:31

MR 1GGTE wrote on Wed, 15 December 2004 15:53

Laughing

It didn't happen that way at all...... No No No

hahah i dont know what happened,i went to the kitchen to get a drink,russ the jack russle was next to jeremy and when i came back out and called to find russ all I could hear was a faint bark like he was down the road and slutt boy had this big grinn on his face Laughing Laughing
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds a bit suss to me Rolling Eyes
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They look so cute!
I so miss mine, he was all white/butterscotch.

He was so cute... like a kitten that never will grow up, digging in my shoes and running off with my socks. Well he kinda flopped along didnt run.
But intelligent???? Not too sure, he use to run around the living room and bash his head into the chair legs cause he wasnt watching where he was running...

I gave him away to a friend who had not had a pet since her dog died, she could give him all the attention he needed (they need alot if you only have one), but somehow he ran away on her...
He use to chase my grumpy cat around too, very funny...

They are like one of the best pets you can ever have!!!!!!

[Updated on: Thu, 16 December 2004 01:25]

no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What the hell is a Stoat?

A Ferrets jaw can also easily crush a finger bone?
U serious???????

Mine use to bite me all the time but was more like play nips (only when I was playing with him - never hurt was like a little pinch) and playful gnarwing (when he gave him a finger to chew on out of bordem); Never out of anger or annoyance...
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no_tofu_speed wrote on Thu, 16 December 2004 11:51

They look so cute!
I so miss mine, he was all white/butterscotch.

He was so cute... like a kitten that never will grow up, digging in my shoes and running off with my socks. Well he kinda flopped along didnt run.
But intelligent???? Not too sure, he use to run around the living room and bash his head into the chair legs cause he wasnt watching where he was running...

I gave him away to a friend who had not had a pet since her dog died, she could give him all the attention he needed (they need alot if you only have one), but somehow he ran away on her...
He use to chase my grumpy cat around too, very funny...

They are like one of the best pets you can ever have!!!!!!

yeah I also hear they taste like chicken Rolling Eyes

can anyone verify this?
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I prefer Gerbals.
mmm gerbals
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a difference between a nip and a bite!! A bite has intent, a nip more like a grab (not having hands they have to use something).

Intelligence and ferrets...is a difficult topic, one second they will do something ingenious, then they will get so excited by it the run into a wall!

I have observed mine pushing chairs around the room (i have tiles, they slide easy) so that they can get onto tables, kitchen benches etc. Apparently they have the problem sovling skills of a 3-5 year old child.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can have your sloats and ferrets.

I want a proboscis monkey. I challenge you to look at this animal and not laugh.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~josh_and_sarah/proboscis1.jpg

http://members.iinet.net.au/~josh_and_sarah/proboscis2.jpg

http://members.iinet.net.au/~josh_and_sarah/proboscis3.JPG

And no, these pictures have no been edited. Look it up for yourself if you don't believe me - google image search for "Proboscis Monkey". Smile

More proof the god really does have a sense of humour.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
P.S. Your ferrets are pretty cool though Smile
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is one strang looking monkey.

Proof god has a sense of humor was the sea lion I saw in the galapagos with an eel stuck up its nose. Too bad I didn't have my camera!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squid wrote on Thu, 16 December 2004 08:48

The rabbit and ferret laws are both because of the risk of feral populations.

Actually this in not correct!
My post above was not fully fact. They were actually banned because of a parasite (that was introduced from some African country) that could only survive and therefore breed living on house tamed rabbits, ferrets and related breeds.
This same parasite could not survive on the same breeds in the wild because of the natural foods the animals eat to protect themselves.
This same parasite had supposedly been eradicated years ago so there is no reason for these current laws to stay current.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh and the parasites produced a natural poison which would kill young birds when eaten.
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i want a ferret now

wtf do they eat?

[Updated on: Thu, 16 December 2004 10:37]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want one of those Stoat mofos Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy shit Shocked

Quote:

Size: Head to base of tails around 25cms. The tail is approximately 10cms long.

Food: Rabbits, fish, game birds, rats, mice, voles and reptiles.

Stoats can overpower prey up to six times larger than themselves. They usually kill their prey with a bite to the back of the neck.

The main food of the stoat is rabbit, but it will take almost any meat including game birds and poultry. For this reason the stoat has been persecuted for centuries by farmers and gamekeepers.

boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should be called a staunch... Shocked
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ferrits are so kool

i want a ferrit but im afraid my cat will kill it Confused he is heaps territorial. once when we got another cat, he pissed all over her and tried to kill her, we had to give her away..
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ferrets eat cat food and meat Smile

Arch - Cat vs Ferret, the ferret will win! No way will a cat kill a ferret!! My ex housemate cat was a bit like that, and the ferrets won the fight when they were 9 weeks old! (about 1/4 the size they now are!)
The Count
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing cute
do they bite
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Thu, 16 December 2004 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope no biting from my two!! they are all settled down!! no doubt will change when I throw a dog into the mix early new year!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: My Ferrets... Fri, 17 December 2004 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So did you just buy them from a pet shop? How much were they? How do you house them?

Come on spill the beans.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Fri, 17 December 2004 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I bought mine from a pet store, but I wouldn't normally reccomend this! There are several shelters accross australia who deal with unwanted and abandoned ferrets, which I would probably look to before a pet store.

http://www.ferretclub.org.au

They were $150 each from memory, plus $$$ for de-sexing. They are an expensive pet to keep.

I house them in a large cage, but when I am home I let them out. My cage is theoretically big enough for 8-10 ferrets, but it is just the two (for now, probably get a third soon!).

I would think very carefully before gettin one up there... it is generally fine but if parks and wildlife get hold of him/her they will be destroyed immediatly Sad It isn't nice loosing a pet.

check out http://www.queenslandferrets.org.au/welcome.toy for info on keeping ferrets in QLD.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Fri, 17 December 2004 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While we are on the topic of Queensland and Ferrets!

I would ask that all Queensland residents sign the online petition!

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/EPetitions_QLD/cg i-bin/Petitions.cgi?PetNum=313&PetType=1

The premise of this petitoin is to allow ferrets to be kept as pets in Queensland. The basis of the ban is all on heresay and 'personal accounts' of wild ferret populations. There are NO SCIENTIFIC STUDIES to support that there are feral ferret populations in Australia.

No Australian state acknowledges a feral ferret population. None of the Agricultural bodies in Australia recognise a threat from ferrets.

This whole ban is based on rumours, misinformation and ignorant politicians, who ignore the scientific facts relating ferrets in the wild and rather listen to the hearsay of unqualifed unsupported and un-referenced facts.

Further more, the Queensland government destroys all ferrets found in QLD. There are organisations and individuals in other states who have offered to house such ferret, and the Queensland government. Surely to destroy a pet when there is an offer to house it legally in another state count as uneccesary animal cruelty.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Fri, 17 December 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is also rather hypocritical the the Brisbane tourism mascot is none other than a ferret.
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: My Ferrets... Fri, 17 December 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The petition is closed, unfortunately. Sad

I wouldn't mind one actually. Unfortunately our cavalier fancies himself the resident hunter.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: My Ferrets... Fri, 17 December 2004 04:26 Go to previous message
Oops silly me!!

Write to your memeber of Parliment and complain??

yeah old dog + new ferret might not work... normally go old ferret + new dog!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What's the go with fireworks ???
Next Topic:Anyone Hacked Angelfire Before?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 23:57:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0122230052948 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.