Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Linux apps Mon, 16 August 2004 10:57 Go to next message
For all you Linux users out there, what programs do you use for the following?

web browser
Email
Image viewer
Video/media player
IRC chat

For a browser I'm currently using Firefox. And for email I'm thinking about using Thunderbird.
  Send a private message to this user    
Toy SX
Regular

April 2003

Re: Linux apps Mon, 16 August 2004 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On Gentoo//
Browser - Konqueror or Firefox
Email - KDE mail
IM - Kopete
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Linux apps Mon, 16 August 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Browser: Firefox
Email: Evolution (PIM) or Thunderbird (spam buster)
Image viewer: gqview or xnview
Video/media player: mplayer or gxine (both good)
IRC chat: xchat for IRC and GAIM for IM
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Linux apps Wed, 18 August 2004 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do you set up a dialup connection? i know sweet fuck all about linux but need to use it for uni.
at uni i use mozilla as a web browser though.

chris
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Linux apps Wed, 18 August 2004 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Install Gnome PPP or kppp.

Or you could even use vwdial.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Linux apps Tue, 24 August 2004 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok what ftpd are you guys using?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Linux apps Tue, 24 August 2004 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsftp

Supposed to be very secure (hence the name). Who knows though. I only turn the ftp server on if someone wants to send me large files. I turn it off straight afterwards.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Linux apps Tue, 24 August 2004 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks. I'll give it a looksee.
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: Linux apps Tue, 24 August 2004 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
browser: firefox, with Sage (http://sage.mozdev.org/) and Adblock (http://adblock.mozdev.org/) extensions

email: mutt (http://www.mutt.org/)

irc: irssi (http://www.irssi.org/)

videos: mplayer (http://www.mplayerhq.hu - this seems to do a far, far better job of playing just about anything than any Windows media player I've seen)

image viewer: xv (a long-dead project, but still available and IMHO the best by far) and imagemagick (http://www.imagemagick.org)

YAY TEH LUNIX!@!@@!1
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Linux apps Tue, 24 August 2004 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha
mutt and xv

Old skool! Very Happy

You should try the image viewers I suggested. xv was great... In 1996....

As for mutt... You're not one of those people (like Mos) who still complain about receiving HTML emails are you?

P.S.: Mos is a little whinging biatch! Laughing
P.P.S.: I hope he reads that... hehe
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: Linux apps Wed, 25 August 2004 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No. I don't complain about receiving HTML mail, since I don't see any. Any that does come in is automatically sent to bit heaven, ie. deleted. As with telephones - "if it's important they'll keep trying."

I did actually try using Thunderbird for a few months, but it annoyed me too much, and it was prone to violent disagreements with my courier-imap server. courier-imap always won, of course, so I switched back to mutt.

As for image viewers... Need I remind you that the primary function of an image viewer is, in fact, viewing images? xv does this extremely well. Why on earth would I even think about using anything else?

Linux, today, is adhering closely to the fundamental principles of UNIX as it was designed more than 32 years ago. By your rather flawed logic, you should be using Windows instead, as it isn't "so 1972"...
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Linux apps Wed, 25 August 2004 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ooh, I've got another Mos! haha

So by your logic, there should have been no reason to move away from punch cards?

Technology evolves and gets better. Take, for instance, your example of an image viewer, dithering and resizing algorithms are always improving. xv sux with that stuff. If you want to look at ugly pix, then xv is fine. If you want to view your images smoothly resized (and resized quickly), use something more modern.

P.S.: Don't take anything personally, I just enjoy a good argu^Wdiscussion... Smile
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: Linux apps Wed, 25 August 2004 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

So by your logic, there should have been no reason to move away from punch cards?

Sure. Disks are better. I don't think you'll hear many arguments here, even from the more curmudgeonly types such as myself Razz

If you'd actually read my original post in this thread, (go on, try it, I double-dare you!) you'd have noticed that I'm using Firefox for a browser, which is a far cry from the original 'www' client of so many moons ago.

Quote:

Technology evolves and gets better. Take, for instance, your example of an image viewer, dithering and resizing algorithms are always improving. xv sux with that stuff. If you want to look at ugly pix, then xv is fine. If you want to view your images smoothly resized (and resized quickly), use something more modern.

Note my comment about viewing images. If I wanted them resized or dithered, I'd use an image processing app, such as Imagemagick's 'convert'.

(Incidentally, a quick spot of investigation reveals that xv and gqview both rely on 'libjpeg' and 'libpng' - how is one going to be superior to the other for displaying an image correctly, when the really error-prone stuff is common to both applications?)

[Updated on: Wed, 25 August 2004 01:29]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Linux apps Wed, 25 August 2004 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, but viewing images pretty much equates to resizing them on the fly...

Most images I view (photos from digital cameras) are larger than my 1600x1200 screen and need to be resized.

BTW, I wasn't aware that xv now use those libs (it's been a long time since I bothered with xv).

As for the browser, at least you're one step ahead of Mos. He used to keep complaining about how the site looked on lynx.... Laughing
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Linux apps Wed, 25 August 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What fonts are you guys using with firefox on your *nix systems?
For some reason webpages look very plain and boring using firefox on linux than what they do with firefox on winblows Confused Kind of puts me off using the linux box as my main machine Sad
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: Linux apps Wed, 25 August 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
'serif', 'serif', 'serif', and 'monospace', in that order.

It should look nicer if you are using the Xft-enabled build of Firefox. If you downloaded it from the Moz site, it should have Xft, and most packaged versions, eg. from Debian or Fedora, should have this as well.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Linux apps Wed, 25 August 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm a san-serif man myself. I find it easier to read on a computer screen.

And, yeah, you do have the Xft build?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Linux apps Wed, 25 August 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got it from http://www.mozilla.org/products/
How do I know if its xtf enabled?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Linux apps Wed, 25 August 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Linux link on that page gives you the Xft-enabled version.

This page gives you more options:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/# download

You can tell by the filename (if nothing else).
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Linux apps Wed, 25 August 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anyone managed to get lm_sensors installed? I've been trying to decrypt the gibberish on the homepage with no luck Sad
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Linux apps Wed, 25 August 2004 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The one that's part of the gDesklets package?
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: Linux apps Wed, 25 August 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think he might be referring to the bits underneath (i2c-core, plus the i2c device (eg. lm78) and i2c bus (eg. i2c-via) modules), not the pretty graphical bit in front
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Linux apps Thu, 26 August 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Thu, 26 August 2004 09:15

The one that's part of the gDesklets package?

I've never even heard of gDesklets Confused But i'll look into it.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Linux apps Thu, 16 December 2004 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I need a good CD burning app aswell as a scaning app.

Whats some good ones?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Linux apps Thu, 16 December 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xcdroast has worked faithfully for me for years.

Not the greatest interface though. There are much easier ones out there, but I'm used to xcdroast so that's what I use.

gToaster looked good from what I saw of it.

No idea about the scanning. You should be able to just use The GIMP I think.
I have used a scanning program before, but I can't remember the name...
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Linux apps Thu, 16 December 2004 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Browser - Mozilla or opera (no not firefox either)
Email - Evolution
Image viewer - xv usually (yeah I'm back in the 90's!)
media/video player - xmms and xine
irc - xchat or kvirc, tend to prefer xchat though
ftp daemon - proftpd
burning - xcdroaster? I think it's called that anyway.. the gui one that is

Didn't know there was linux guys here (or at least so many!). So what's everyone's distro of choice then? I'm a gentoo man myself.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Linux apps Thu, 16 December 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xcdroast looks the part. I'll try installing it tomorrow.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Linux apps Thu, 16 December 2004 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been checking out the Gentoo Linux webpage, but be fucked if I can decrypt the gribbish on there Confused
What are you meant to download to get the crap installed?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Linux apps Thu, 16 December 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gentoo here too.

Cool1, Gentoo's installation is what would be termed "back to basics". Don't expect mouse click installation, expect to know intimately the process of how to hand build an OS onto a system.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I love the convenience that portage (the packaging system) gives.

To install Open Office (along with all dependencies), you type:
emerge -D openoffice
And then wait a day for the huge bitch to compile... Wink

You're always up to date because updating every single program on a system is simple as typing:
emerge -uD world
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Linux apps Thu, 16 December 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok well thats a bit of help. Now tell me what do I need to start? I mean what do I need to download from this mirror: http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/gentoo/

Thanks
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Linux apps Thu, 16 December 2004 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can download the individual stages here:
http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/gentoo/releases /x86/2004.3/stages/x86/

It gets less and less hardcore as you progress from Stage 1 to Stage 3.

Or you can download the bootable CD with all 3 stages from here:
http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/gentoo/releases /x86/2004.3/livecd/

I've assumed that you're installing on the x86 platform BTW.

There's a shitload of doco on the site.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml

Install guide can be found here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86 .xml?part=1

Have fun! hehe
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Linux apps Fri, 17 December 2004 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok thanks. I have downloaded http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/gentoo/releases /x86/2004.3/livecd/install-x86-universal-2004.3-r1 .iso
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Linux apps Fri, 17 December 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Thu, 16 December 2004 22:53

Gentoo here too.

Cool1, Gentoo's installation is what would be termed "back to basics". Don't expect mouse click installation, expect to know intimately the process of how to hand build an OS onto a system.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I love the convenience that portage (the packaging system) gives.

To install Open Office (along with all dependencies), you type:
emerge -D openoffice
And then wait a day for the huge bitch to compile... Wink

You're always up to date because updating every single program on a system is simple as typing:
emerge -uD world

You're not wrong about open office being a huge bitch to compile... last time I was doing it I let it run for around 10 hours before it errored out on me. Turned out it filled /var/temp (I think, something on the / anyway) due to me having a small / partition. Although by memory it was 2gig or so at the time which seemed ample.
Simple problem to fix, 10 hours of labour before it surfaces. Funny days!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Linux apps Fri, 17 December 2004 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Next on my list of things is a shared print to PDF file. Anyone ever set one of these up before?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Linux apps Fri, 17 December 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dale_ta22 wrote on Fri, 17 December 2004 14:51

You're not wrong about open office being a huge bitch to compile... last time I was doing it I let it run for around 10 hours before it errored out on me. Turned out it filled /var/temp (I think, something on the / anyway) due to me having a small / partition. Although by memory it was 2gig or so at the time which seemed ample.
Simple problem to fix, 10 hours of labour before it surfaces. Funny days!

Yeah, I've run out of disk space compiling Open Office. I had 2.6GB free at the start...
I still can't comprehend how it could use up 2.6GB!!

Cool1 wrote on Fri, 17 December 2004 15:56

Next on my list of things is a shared print to PDF file. Anyone ever set one of these up before?

What do you mean? A print server that prints to PDF files?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Linux apps Fri, 17 December 2004 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Correct. Bassicly it appears as a printer list and if you print to it, you end up with a PDF file.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Linux apps Fri, 17 December 2004 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should be part of CUPS (the new printing system in Linux).

Never done it but I know it can be done...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Linux apps Fri, 17 December 2004 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its there and can be used locally, but be dammed if I can figure out how to share it.

Oh and your not wrong about the Gentoo not being a click and go setup Confused
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Linux apps Fri, 17 December 2004 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Wed, 25 August 2004 16:07

I'm a san-serif man myself. I find it easier to read on a computer screen.

And, yeah, you do have the Xft build?

sans serif typefaces were specifically designed for computer screens. ie Verdana, Arial, Helvetica (and its variants, neue and rounded).

also the character kern for std output is dependant on the ease of viewing. most serif-ed fonts are quite closely kerned (spaced) together and make it harder to read because the letters run into each other
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Linux apps Fri, 17 December 2004 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 17 December 2004 21:57

Oh and your not wrong about the Gentoo not being a click and go setup Confused

Nod Nod Nod Nod Nod

ae86drift wrote on Fri, 17 December 2004 22:50

sans serif typefaces were specifically designed for computer screens. ie Verdana, Arial, Helvetica (and its variants, neue and rounded).

also the character kern for std output is dependant on the ease of viewing. most serif-ed fonts are quite closely kerned (spaced) together and make it harder to read because the letters run into each other

Plus serifs were used to make the ends of characters clean when they were chiseled onto stone... Wink
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Linux apps Fri, 17 December 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehe

TYPOG NERRRDDD

Wink
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Linux apps Sat, 18 December 2004 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man this Gentoo crap is just insane Confused I've been at it for hours and I still don't have any graphical interface Sad
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Linux apps Sat, 18 December 2004 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi shane,

it's not directly related to your current problem - but if folks are wondering how to plan their migration to linux (in a SOHO or enterprise environment), this is link to an IBM book (link recently posted to slashdot.org):
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246380.htm l
might be a useful read.

otherwise, i wish i could help more - but i've stuck with a Fedora (red hat) install and then restricted apps to anything that ran stably with KDE (except OOffice). You might be able to get a binary install for OOffice if your setup is mostly out-of-the-box. it might save spending hours compiling from source?

failing that- have a look at Suse linux (now part of novel)?

... now if you had a G4 or G5 running OS X i could help a lot more Razz

cheers,
charles.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Linux apps Sat, 18 December 2004 09:46 Go to previous message
I've just been playing and trying to learn as much as I can by doing different things. I'm taking on a new job within 2 years which involves maintaining a handful of linux servers. Currently the servers are Redhat based but we are always keen on upgrading if we can find a reason.
Gentoo sounded good for the fact that you compile it to suit your system and your needs making it more stable. However I'm finding the install rather frustrating because it connects to server to download the latest modules and I'm noticing thats the modules are not on the server resulting in a failure Sad
I might just stick to my Mandrake and Lycoris until I can find time to read all the docs for Gentoo.

[Updated on: Sat, 18 December 2004 09:47]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Match maker test
Next Topic:You can find -anything- on ebay!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 03:05:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077838897705078 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.