Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Classifieds » Engines, Accessories and other Mechanicals » F/S - Holdne VN Group 'A' LSD diff with disc brakes

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Levin4Kevin
Regular

May 2003
F/S - Holdne VN Group 'A' LSD diff with disc brakes Thu, 16 December 2004 10:23 Go to next message
Sorry its not a Toyota. I have a holden LSD with ventilated disc brakes, brake calipers have the cooling type fins on them, pads, handbrake cable etc. I believe its out of a Commodore, around VL (dont quote me on that, could be later). The ratio is about 3.5 (counted manualy) and a tag on it says High Performace and to use correct oil or similar, and I am told its a HDT (un confirmed) as these have a second tag on them stating ratio etc.

Anyway, I have one and am going to sell it. Just need to find out how much I can get for it. And if you reply and say its worth $100 and want to buy it, think again. The diff looks like what I thought the VL Turbo commodores had, but I'm not sure if its that or out of a V8 (if there is a difference). Please let me know what its worth to the right person.

Cheers, Kevin

P.S. Have just been informed from guys on a Commodore site that the diff is out of a VN Group 'A' car.

EDIT: Unfortunately some silly bastard has removed the tag before I got it. It say Borg Warner underneath. The disc are obviously vented. The ratio is 3.45:1. I still think its a HDT diff, due to the vented disc's. The discs are about 275mm in diameter.
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/13526/dscf0029.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/13526/dscf0030.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/13526/dscf0033.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/13526/dscf0032.jpg

[Updated on: Fri, 24 December 2004 02:10]

Send a private message to this user    
rb20det
Regular

July 2004
Re: F/S - LSD diff with disc brakes, whats it worth (not Toyota) Thu, 16 December 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a lsd out of a vl turbo auto. sell for between 500-700 at wreckers. i am interested in it as the 9 inch in the torana is a tad heavy for the race track
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: F/S - LSD diff with disc brakes, whats it worth (not Toyota) Thu, 16 December 2004 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you own the LJ aqua torana that runs 10's with the rb30?
celica28
Regular

May 2002
Re: F/S - LSD diff with disc brakes, whats it worth (not Toyota) Thu, 16 December 2004 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it is the original gearing of 3.5's then it is more than likely out of a Falcon Ute. VL's tended to use 3.08's or 3.45's. The again, the gears may have been changed at some stage. Has it been cut down to suit any specificate application? It would be best to know this so that the right person can purchase it. I could be interested if you can confirm exactly what it came out of.

rb20det
Regular

July 2004
Re: F/S - LSD diff with disc brakes, whats it worth (not Toyota) Fri, 17 December 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my car is not setup for drag but i have run a 11.2 on a gtec with street tyres. my car looks very similar to that torana you are talkin about ( except mine has more power )
Levin4Kevin
Regular

May 2003
Re: F/S - LSD diff with disc brakes, whats it worth (not Toyota) Fri, 17 December 2004 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will try to find out what its from ASAP and get some photos, but cant really do it until back to work on monday. If someone has $600, its there's. If needed urgently, ring me and you can have a look for your self over the week-end. At this point in time its at Zetland (South Sydney area).

Ring if needbe, 0413 135472. Kevin

[Updated on: Fri, 24 December 2004 06:56]

Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: F/S - LSD diff with disc brakes, whats it worth (not Toyota) Fri, 17 December 2004 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i can tell you that a vl diff is also the same as a vn ss diff vp, well basically any live rear axel commo. If its one of these diffs the brake rotors aint ventilated stock. Though a good way to tell the ratio, pinion, and weather its lsd or not is to check the numbers on the tag which is bolted to the diff backing plate. Also turn it over and on the bottom of the diff it should say borg warner. Then you have a fairly good idea what its from.

Cheers Adam
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: F/S - LSD diff with disc brakes, whats it worth (not Toyota) Fri, 17 December 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
9" diffs out of xys etc had 270mm vented discs....

Get me a pic and ill soon tell you what it is.

If its a 9" LSD...ill take it.
Levin4Kevin
Regular

May 2003
Re: F/S - LSD diff with disc brakes, whats it worth (not Toyota) Sun, 19 December 2004 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Photos now added to thread at top. Now what the hell is it, and whats it worth.

Thanks, Kevin
syncro
Regular

October 2004
Re: F/S - LSD diff with disc brakes, whats it worth (now with photos) (not Toyota) Sun, 19 December 2004 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it a cone type lsd
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: F/S - LSD diff with disc brakes, whats it worth (not Toyota) Sun, 19 December 2004 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its defintly a Borg warner diff and it looks like a commodore diff for sure. All the mounts look like they came of a commodore vl-vp commodore but you would know if its off a vn vp by the width. Though it might be some HDT item as it does have ventilated discs and that grill shit on the calipers.

Cheers Adam
Levin4Kevin
Regular

May 2003
Re: F/S - LSD diff with disc brakes, whats it worth (not Toyota) Mon, 20 December 2004 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I rang HDT earlier today and they tell me there is no such thing as a HDT diff. I pulled the cover off and can confirm (off crown wheel) that it is 3.45:1 ratio. Have roughly meassured the disc diameter and its about 275mm. We have a V8 VL here at work and they look the same to me.

With that all said, I'm saying it is out of a VL Commodore and is either out of the V8 or the Turbo six. HDT tell me the the vent disc's confirm this.

So if you (rb20det) or anyone is interested, give me a call or send a PM. Have also just rang "All GM Parts" Greenacre and they want $990 for the same diff (including brakes). If someone has $600, its all yours.

Cheers, Kevin 0413 135472

Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: F/S - LSD diff with disc brakes (now with photos) (not Toyota) Mon, 20 December 2004 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I been around a few vl's and i know the rears arnt ventilated though it may be off a HDT LE TURBO or a SS group A or a HDT Director
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: F/S - LSD diff with disc brakes (now with photos) (not Toyota) Mon, 20 December 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could be the one found in walkinshaw etc vl's?
rotorace
Regular

August 2003
Re: F/S - LSD diff with disc brakes (now with photos) (not Toyota) Tue, 21 December 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id say its from a falcon. ive never heard of or seen vented rear dics on an early commy, but all the xf etc. falcons came with them as standard.
you could also try fitting a falcon or commy rim to check, or take a brake pad out and se if it has a part no. still on it,
or take it to your local auto shop and get them to tell you what the pad is from.
(i bet the part no. is db1109)
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: F/S - LSD diff with disc brakes (now with photos) (not Toyota) Tue, 21 December 2004 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats a bloody good idea, but i woudl doubt its from a falcon. Look at the size of the discs 275mm. The brand new BA Falcon runs 280mm discs on the front, and they were there recent upgrade. So i would fing it hard to belive that the rear dics on a 86-87 model falcon could almost be as big as the new front ones. Lets face it they are really big discs so they would have to be from some performance car.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: F/S - LSD diff with disc brakes (now with photos) (not Toyota) Tue, 21 December 2004 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fattony wrote on Wed, 22 December 2004 10:29

Thats a bloody good idea, but i woudl doubt its from a falcon. Look at the size of the discs 275mm. The brand new BA Falcon runs 280mm discs on the front, and they were there recent upgrade. So i would fing it hard to belive that the rear dics on a 86-87 model falcon could almost be as big as the new front ones. Lets face it they are really big discs so they would have to be from some performance car.

You'd be surprised. XA/B/C/D/E Falcons had 286/7 mm vented rear discs that were 24mm thick. Falcon 5 stud pattern is 5 x 114.3

The HSV Commondores from VN/VP era had vented 278mm discs that were 22mm thick (non HSV's were solids all the way). Their hat height was 83mm, where the Falcons were 58 or 83 depending on vintage. Holden stud pattern was 5 x 120.

That info should be able to sort you out.

Cheers

Michael B

Levin4Kevin
Regular

May 2003
Re: F/S - LSD diff with disc brakes (now with photos) (not Toyota) Wed, 22 December 2004 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys,

I will do some measuring at work tomorrow (thursday). I have spoken with a couple of guys off a commodore site and they tend to think its possible a VL Walkinshaw diff and would be rare.

If this thing is a Walky diff, I sure its worth a lot more money Smile

Cheers, Kevin
Levin4Kevin
Regular

May 2003
Re: F/S - LSD diff with disc brakes (now with photos) (not Toyota) Fri, 24 December 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have now added to my original post that diff appears to be from a VN Group 'A' car. Also I have roughly measured between the hubs and this is approximately 1530mm. Hope this helps.

Kevin
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: F/S - Holdne VN Group 'A' LSD diff with disc brakes Fri, 24 December 2004 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so will this fit a manual rb30 VL?
Levin4Kevin
Regular

May 2003
Re: F/S - Holdne VN Group 'A' LSD diff with disc brakes Fri, 24 December 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cant guarentee this, but I'm told that the VN Group A diff is based on the VL housing with larger brakes and the crown wheel and pinion are shot peened, meaning they are a lot stronger.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: F/S - Holdne VN Group 'A' LSD diff with disc brakes Sat, 25 December 2004 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The housing on a vn is about 20odd mm longer than a vl item, though all the mounts are the same
Levin4Kevin
Regular

May 2003
Re: F/S - Holdne VN Group 'A' LSD diff with disc brakes Sun, 26 December 2004 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just spoke with a guy off the commodore site again and he informs me that the VN Group A used the narrower VL diff so as to fit the bigger wheels and this diff should bolt straight into a VL.

Kevin
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: F/S - Holdne VN Group 'A' LSD diff with disc brakes Mon, 27 December 2004 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It its a Genuine VN Grp A Diff I would be asking a lot for it. VN Group As are still comparable in price and rarity to Walkies.
General_Bupkiss
Regular

August 2004
Re: F/S - Holdne VN Group 'A' LSD diff with disc brakes Sat, 15 January 2005 07:06 Go to previous message
if no one has bought it yet im interested in buying but all i can do is 500 cash
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:BARGAIN : CUSTOM PAC GARRETT 850hp TURBO AS NEW
Next Topic:4A to W5* bellhousing
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 01:22:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074620246887207 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.