Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » GPS systems - any good ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
GPS systems - any good ? Thu, 16 December 2004 12:21 Go to next message
hey anyone have a GPS system in the car .. be it a permanent fixture or a handheld IPAC one etc ...

what are they like, good to use ?
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: GPS systems - any good ? Thu, 16 December 2004 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a little of topic but may be of some help later, I am a Garmin dealer so if you want anything Garmin, send me an email.
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Thu, 16 December 2004 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*off topic* cool1 i suggest you dont say stuff like that, and commercial sales arent allowed without prior discussion with admins etc...

*back on topc* we had one that connected to a laptop at work, it works like a charge, this one you could make a destination and it will tell you exactly how many lights you will pass, how long it is in kms, estimate trip time, and tell you everystep of the way where to do etc.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Thu, 16 December 2004 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Thu, 16 December 2004 23:53

This is a little of topic but may be of some help later, I am a Garmin dealer so if you want anything Garmin, send me an email.

what they sell ?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: GPS systems - any good ? Thu, 16 December 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djcougar wrote on Thu, 16 December 2004 22:58

*off topic* cool1 i suggest you dont say stuff like that, and commercial sales arent allowed without prior discussion with admins etc...

Who the hell are you? There was nothing comercial about what I posted!

Damm smack head Rolling Eyes

Les check out this link: http://www.gme.net.au/garmin/index.php
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: GPS systems - any good ? Thu, 16 December 2004 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm, interesting.
Cool1, around how much do the "GPS 18" units retail for?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: GPS systems - any good ? Thu, 16 December 2004 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Find the cheapest place online and subtract 30% this should be roughly what I can do them for.
PHA77R
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Fri, 17 December 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd go the new Navman ICN510.. $999.. it's small, lightweight, portable (rechargeable battery).. full 3D mapping system (looks like a computer game, you can see the horizon in the distance etc).. comes with absolutely everything you need to mount into the car, every street in australia is pre-loaded, expandable memory cards for extra maps, touch-screen like a PDA with a stylus for inputting addresses, full voice directions, the works.

http://navman.com/land/products/icn510/index.html

I have on on layby at my work Razz (yay for staff discounts) hopefully have it out by january.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Fri, 17 December 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the Navman iCN-630... model up from the post right above this one. I love it. Works great, simple to use. Works off 12v in the car too.
Rinmax
Regular

September 2004
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Fri, 17 December 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a navman icn610 about a year back, and its one of the best little gadgets i've bought. I use it for club meets and tarmac rallying. I'm a bit bummed out by the recent price drops but hey thats life. BTW I work in truck parts and am a dealer for Garmin as well, in my opinion the navman is a better unit but the garmin can run off batteries and a few times i have wanted that function.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: GPS systems - any good ? Fri, 17 December 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I sell and repair Navcrap stuff aswell. Its all good untill something goes wrong and then it costs you an arm and a leg to fix Confused
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Fri, 17 December 2004 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So for instance, what would you sell this Navman ICN510 to one of us for? Just out of interest. Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: GPS systems - any good ? Fri, 17 December 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 17 December 2004 08:00

Find the cheapest place online and subtract 30% this should be roughly what I can do them for.

SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Fri, 17 December 2004 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've found a place that sells them for $300 Rolling Eyes Can you get one in for me for $300 - 30%?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: GPS systems - any good ? Fri, 17 December 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Fri, 17 December 2004 20:39

Can you get one in for me for $300 - 30%?

Right after you show where you can get one for $300.
PHA77R
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Sat, 18 December 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rinmax: the 510 is actually the model above the 630.. it's been made smaller, lighter, and been given a built in rechargeable battery.. whereas the 610/630 needed a power source to use. It's also been given a stylus to type in addreses rather than using the buttons.. much easier.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: GPS systems - any good ? Sat, 18 December 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My father in law just bought a navman pin, and I was wondering since it's really just a windows jobbie, is there any other GPS software I can get for it. He's a keen fisherman and I'd love to get him a water version of the mapping software so he can plot favourite fishing positions etc.

Anyone know if this is possible?
Rinmax
Regular

September 2004
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Sat, 18 December 2004 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PHA77R: I havn't had a look at the 510 but it sounds like a much better unit than the 610 which is what i've got. It's a great little item to have when your out at places you've never been before.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Sat, 18 December 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I searched on Google for "Rinmax" and couldn't find a single thing. What stores/distributers sell these so I can have a look?

Edit: I mean Google not ebay. I typed the wrong thing. Embarassed

[Updated on: Sat, 18 December 2004 03:53]

Rinmax
Regular

September 2004
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Sat, 18 December 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the name RINMAX is not a company or a real person its just a name that i use, so you shouldn't find anything on google. As far as looking at GPS systems try either Garmin or Navman in google and it will take you to their sites. For tthe record I bought my icn610 from a fishing store as i found them to have the best satnav prices, because they carry a larger range of navman/garmin products. I hope that helps.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Sat, 18 December 2004 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed I read what PHA77R said as Rinmax being a brand of GPS system. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Rinmax
Regular

September 2004
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Sat, 18 December 2004 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No probs
mozrav
Regular

June 2003
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Tue, 21 December 2004 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just bought a Navman Pin a few days back from DSE Powerhouse. They were advertising it for $884 but i got it for $830 along with a free 256MB SD card. I bought the Pin as i need a PDA to keep track of my business dealings.

The nav is very good...very accurate. Plus if you buy now Navman will send you free map update (version 3) in Jan 2005. The current map version is version 2.
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Tue, 21 December 2004 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can the navman range be used as a normal gps,

eg after i drive say to the bush, can it be used on day bush walks, etc???
Rinmax
Regular

September 2004
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Tue, 21 December 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
only if you get one which can run off batteries. Some of them, like mine only run off another power source.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Tue, 21 December 2004 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like it, these systems are actually becoming affordable! the 510 looks the pick of the bunch at the moment.
mozrav
Regular

June 2003
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Tue, 21 December 2004 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Pin and 510 are very similar. Both run the same processor and are about the same size (the 510 is a bit thicker). Both have touchscreens. The 510 runs in landscape mode while the Pin runs in portrait mode. It comes down to whether you need PDA features or not.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Tue, 21 December 2004 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where's the best place to buy these things? Or at least look at them and have staff members who know what they are talking about... I was at Dick Smith today for something else and happened to see the Navman 510 in the case. I asked a few questions to the salesperson and all I got were blank looks in reply. Confused
mozrav
Regular

June 2003
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Wed, 22 December 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to DSE Powerhouse Nunawading and look for an oldish Asian guy called Steven (i think). He knows everything about Navman. Plus do lots of reasearch on google. There are a lot of reviews out there.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Wed, 22 December 2004 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nunawading! Sad I live in East Brighton... Its sooo far.
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Fri, 24 December 2004 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get onto "Where Is" before you go somewhere... Type in leaving adress, type in adress you want to get too... EXTREMELY accurate details (Down to the M) including maps.. And it is free...
mozrav
Regular

June 2003
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Sat, 25 December 2004 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But that's only beneficial if you know where u want to go beforehand Cool
SecaBoy
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Mon, 27 December 2004 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could someone suggest on that can be used on an IPAQ?

Cool1, can you get things for the IPAQ?

thanks
ashley
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: GPS systems - any good ? Tue, 28 December 2004 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can get anything Garmin and everything Navman however my Navman account will not be renewed after January.
PHA77R
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Wed, 29 December 2004 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SecaBoy wrote on Tue, 28 December 2004 01:12

could someone suggest on that can be used on an IPAQ?

Cool1, can you get things for the IPAQ?

thanks
ashley

Navman sells a bluetooth GPS unit that works with pretty much any PDA that has bluetooth.

http://www.navman.com/land/products/gps4410/index. html

http://www.navman.com/land/images/products/gps4410/gps4410_demo_250.gif

SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Wed, 29 December 2004 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Bluetooth Navman looks very nice (I have a Dell PDA)... What's cheaper than DSE's prices? 683 still isn't exactly cheap.
SecaBoy
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: GPS systems - any good ? Thu, 30 December 2004 01:08 Go to previous message
cool1, how much can you get that navman one for?

thanks
ashley
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:VIN #
Next Topic:Seller check: tin_can (goods received)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 02:06:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074529647827148 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.