Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Big port vs small port for turbo?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
boost88
Newcomer

December 2004
Big port vs small port for turbo? Fri, 17 December 2004 16:32 Go to next message
I have an 88 mr2 with a 7 rib big port 4age, I have low compression forged pistions from a 4agze and a forged crank form a 4agze. I'm planning on running a t25 turbo but i need a new head, should I get the big port or small port head and if I get the small port head do I need a new intake manifold?
  Send a private message to this user    
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Big port vs small port for turbo? Fri, 17 December 2004 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
S
E
A
r
c
h

this questions has been done a thousand times
SPRINTAH!
Regular

January 2003
Re: Big port vs small port for turbo? Sat, 18 December 2004 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigport with TVIS removed is thought of to be better than a smallport when trying to get some reasonably big power.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Big port vs small port for turbo? Sat, 18 December 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
always end up with the same answer.....

http://www.billzilla.org/4agmods.htm
boost88
Newcomer

December 2004
Re: Big port vs small port for turbo? Sat, 18 December 2004 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that still doesn't help me with what to do with a turbo set up when I have tthe option of the 7 rib block and any big./small port head. over all I'm looking for 200hp
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Big port vs small port for turbo? Sat, 18 December 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
88mr2 has the perfect engine setup already

keep bigport head and bigport manifold but lost the tvis (so make up a plate for it)
use 7rib block
use gze pistons and crank

b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Big port vs small port for turbo? Sat, 18 December 2004 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Sat, 18 December 2004 18:35

88mr2 has the perfect engine setup already

keep bigport head and bigport manifold but lost the tvis (so make up a plate for it)
use 7rib block
use gze pistons and crank

isnt 7 rib block same as gze block apart frm pistons?? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: Big port vs small port for turbo? Sat, 18 December 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup the ONLY difference is in the pistons and rings, so i hope you didnt pay too much for that crank! cause your original one is just the same. same with rods etc.

for 200hp i think the small port one would be better, it would have better off boost performance (sumthing to remember if its for a road car) 200hp isnt much for a 4agte. id think a big port head would be better suited to a racer, after more grunt.

well thats my theory anyway.

please note, that doesnt mean i think a big port one would be bad!
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Big port vs small port for turbo? Sat, 18 December 2004 23:56 Go to previous message
i think you should use the smallport head, and get it flowed a bit, knife edge the stem between the valves, change the valve bowl shape, polish the exhaust ports and clean up an dags/cast marks, use your bigport cams for a bit more duration and lift, i simple bolted on my head with the cams, mine is still running stock boost on the S/C, i used to go door to door with a new manual Monaro CV8 all the way to about 160, then pull infront ever so slightly, now his front bar is on my rear bar in 2nd gear!!! it's actually a big difference you can definitly feel stright up! changed the way the ZE revs too..it pull feirce all the way up to 7G!!! so far i have found this to be the most reliable method of creating power..not jst running more boost, but to make the engine more efficient with the same boost...

my 2C

P.S. my car already did 13.9 and made just shy of 200hp @ fly, i had it running for 2 days then shat my diff.

[Updated on: Sat, 18 December 2004 23:57]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ma70 diff conversion???
Next Topic:my new website, 7m ra29, 7agte ae86, aw11sc
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 03:57:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076980590820312 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.