Newcomer

December 2004
1JZ/ Skyline Sat, 18 December 2004 08:57 Go to next message
Has anyone put a 1JZ into an R32 Skyline
  Send a private message to this user    
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Sat, 18 December 2004 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know of a S13 silvia which has had the 1JZ treatment, and R33 and silvia crossmembers are interchangable, so i dont see why it wouldnt fit. . . .
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Sat, 18 December 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Rigolis have a 7M powered R32
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Sat, 18 December 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quite doable, so long as you're capable of making lots of little bits, or don't mind opening up the chequebook a bit...
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Sun, 19 December 2004 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why would you go against an RB25DET. Would be a lot easier to do. 1jz might have a little more potential, but not much. Stock the 1j has a bit more torque although RB25s only run 7psi stock - I think 1jz run around 10psi hence the higher power.

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Sun, 19 December 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
r32's have rb20det's in which case a 1jz has a lot more potential IMO. But it would still make a lot more sense to drop in an rb25 anyway.
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Sun, 19 December 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i'm with chris, dropping an rb25 in 1st would be way easier.

Go the Toyota Engines!! Razz
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Sun, 19 December 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or better yet, an RB26.. bit more exxy, loads of potential
stark
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Sun, 19 December 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sun, 19 December 2004 18:58

For the cost of an RB26 you could definately put a 1jz in a skyline....

It would give you something quite unique and is sure to drop some jaws when the bonnet is lifted Smile

FYI Top Secret in Japan has an R33 with a 2jz T88 and a hollinger 6 speed.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Sun, 19 December 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At the end of the day a Rb25 would turn out much cheaper when you think about gearbox etc (1JZ manuals are hard to get). Also would have better resale when you go to sell it and have just as much go with the right tuning. Even little things like some of the sensors etc will be the same as rb20 so dash gauges etc may work ok.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Sun, 19 December 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, you wouldn't put the 1JZ in because it's the easiest etc. - for that I'd be tempted to either do a decent tought RB20 or move up to a 26 (skip the 25, I reckon...), but you would go with the 1JZ for the fun of doing it.
Nisota
Newcomer

December 2004
Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Mon, 20 December 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HighRolla wrote on Mon, 20 December 2004 01:03

At the end of the day a Rb25 would turn out much cheaper when you think about gearbox etc (1JZ manuals are hard to get). Also would have better resale when you go to sell it and have just as much go with the right tuning. Even little things like some of the sensors etc will be the same as rb20 so dash gauges etc may work ok.

Even the rb25 boxes are getting expensive now though and i wanted to put a decent engine it (for some unknown reason i don't like the rb25) plus everyone who has a r32 has put a rb25det in. So far the 1jz fits in better than the rb20 and sits lower in the engine bay and stuff, and even the gearbox crossmember lines up with the rb20 gearbox crossmember. But yeah all the gauges will have to be modified but once its finished i don't think i would want to sell it. Very Happy
Silver_r33
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Mon, 20 December 2004 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RB30DET it. Most of the skyline crew who look to make a tough street car go that route with a rebuilt RB30ET (VL/DR31) bottom end and a non-vvt 25DE or 26DETT head. 1jz is nice, but the amount of stuffing around to make it work would be heaps. 3L displacement, DOHC and a light r32 chassis would be a weapon.

If you want info, check the sau.com.au forums and look at the forced induction forum - theres a thread which is about 80 pages long with almost step by step instructions and costings.
1j180
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Tue, 21 December 2004 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forget the RB25, they are an average engine at best. I had one in my last car a 180sx. Lacks torque for a turbo 2.5, expensive as hell, thin rods and weak ring lands over 200rwkws, high compression. Don't think I'm right? Last I heard the guy who bought my car blew the head gasket on just 12psi and this 'somehow' filled the cyclinder with water bending the rod. Also check out skylinesaustralia for 'broken ring land'.

The 1jz is a FAR superior engine -300rwkw on std internals anyone? that's ALOT more potential than a rb25 for atleast half the engine cost.

My last car had 180rwkw on 10psi but the power curve was very two stage, nothing until 4500-5000rpm. 1jz@12psi would be good for 200rwkw but a much higher average power per/rpm.

Can't believe people on a Toyota forum saying a manual gearbox for a 1jz hard to source? Sure the r154 but ever heard of a w58?

Go the 1jz! For the cost of just a rb26 engine you could have a reliable 600hp 1jz...

[Updated on: Tue, 21 December 2004 08:38]

Supra Saiyan
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Tue, 21 December 2004 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stark wrote on Sun, 19 December 2004 20:53

draven wrote on Sun, 19 December 2004 18:58

For the cost of an RB26 you could definately put a 1jz in a skyline....

It would give you something quite unique and is sure to drop some jaws when the bonnet is lifted Smile

FYI Top Secret in Japan has an R33 with a 2jz T88 and a hollinger 6 speed.

and they had a jza80 with an rb26dett that made over 1000ps. I heard it was sold to a customer though.
stark
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Tue, 21 December 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1j180 wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 19:34

Forget the RB25, they are an average engine at best. I had one in my last car a 180sx. Lacks torque for a turbo 2.5, expensive as hell, thin rods and weak ring lands over 200rwkws, high compression. Don't think I'm right? Last I heard the guy who bought my car blew the head gasket on just 12psi and this 'somehow' filled the cyclinder with water bending the rod. Also check out skylinesaustralia for 'broken ring land'.

The 1jz is a FAR superior engine -300rwkw on std internals anyone? that's ALOT more potential than a rb25 for atleast half the engine cost.

My last car had 180rwkw on 10psi but the power curve was very two stage, nothing until 4500-5000rpm. 1jz@12psi would be good for 200rwkw but a much higher average power per/rpm.

Can't believe people on a Toyota forum saying a manual gearbox for a 1jz hard to source? Sure the r154 but ever heard of a w58?

Go the 1jz! For the cost of just a rb26 engine you could have a reliable 600hp 1jz...

Couldnt agree more... Many people have been very dismissive of the 1jz in the skyline idea but it really appeals to me... I ve been in a few high hp rb25det's and although they make power the longevity of these engines are questionable... Not to mention the 1jz is a lot cheaper than the RB.... Ive seen 1jz half cuts for arount $1500 try getting an rb25 for that....
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Tue, 21 December 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stark wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 19:49

1j180 wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 19:34

Ive seen 1jz half cuts for arount $1500 try getting an rb25 for that....

Where? I'll buy a spare! Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 21 December 2004 09:12]

1j180
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Tue, 21 December 2004 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Stark,

I think the popular misconception that the 1j is a inferior engine is largley based on ignorance. Generally it's relativley unknown and so it's seen as something thats 'too hard' or 'not worth the effort'.

Any std engine (with upgrades ancilleries obviously) capable of 600hp+ with good reliablity is simply outrageous.

If you have access to a good welder to fabricate engine (+gearbox etc) mounts that can simply be welded to the crossmember, putting a 1jz in an r33 should be simple (besides the wiring perhaps!! but that's more time consuming than hard).

[Updated on: Tue, 21 December 2004 09:25]

KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Tue, 21 December 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the 1JZ, is more comparable to the RB26!

Anywyas, I belive, DNA in Syd are putting one in an R32 Skyline.
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Thu, 23 December 2004 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Never seen a 1jz turbo piston failure, but lots of rb25s tho. So I'd agree the 25 has a much smaller tuning window. On the other hand, there are some fast 25s running around, rewarding those who are not challenged by it.
One u.s forum member bone stock rb25det powered s13 hatch ran 11.1s with nothing but bolt-ons; turbo/ mani/ standalone/ fmic/ fuel. No cams, no porting, nothing. Not too shabby for a full weight daily driven street car and it was the owners first ever drag strip attempt! Tuner who put the car together said its definitely has 10s in it if he drove it.
Another 25 with basically same 'bolt-on' approach, ran 10.8 in his heavier s14 swap. Thats top notch performance from a 5speed daily driven full weight internally stock motor, eh.
I'd have to see results of this far superior 1jz effort.. none yet.
2j and rb26 hairy monsters not hard to find this way. Even 7Ms.
djeXo
Newcomer

November 2002

Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Fri, 24 December 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't really speak too much for the RBxx motors but my last car ran 8psi stock on a 1jz, not 10psi, people usually boot it up that high to compensate for the rich fueling the ECU hands out. I changed the turbos over to steel wheels with the same housing and running at 10psi I got 200kws at the wheels (same as stock turbos) but that was with a stock IC and I couldn't push it past 14psi because of the IC and ECU limit so with those changed/removed it would be capable of a hell of alot more with the auto tranny !! all you need is cooling, that's what I like about motors built factory tuff !! can't really say that much about a neesan motor though (opens up can'o'worms)

Personally the RB25 series have had everything under teh sun done to them so finding upgrades is easy, just making it stand out of the crowd is hard !

RB26 motors would be cool too and a easier changeover also but you'll still be hard pressed standing out of teh crowd.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Fri, 24 December 2004 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quest wrote on Fri, 24 December 2004 05:25

Never seen a 1jz turbo piston failure, but lots of rb25s tho. So I'd agree the 25 has a much smaller tuning window. On the other hand, there are some fast 25s running around, rewarding those who are not challenged by it.
One u.s forum member bone stock rb25det powered s13 hatch ran 11.1s with nothing but bolt-ons; turbo/ mani/ standalone/ fmic/ fuel. No cams, no porting, nothing. Not too shabby for a full weight daily driven street car and it was the owners first ever drag strip attempt! Tuner who put the car together said its definitely has 10s in it if he drove it.
Another 25 with basically same 'bolt-on' approach, ran 10.8 in his heavier s14 swap. Thats top notch performance from a 5speed daily driven full weight internally stock motor, eh.
I'd have to see results of this far superior 1jz effort.. none yet.
2j and rb26 hairy monsters not hard to find this way. Even 7Ms.

that is some interesting info. As from what I have been told about them and seen from friends is that the internals can't really hold up that well when modded like the ones you stated. eg. mates r33 blew up running HF stock turbo @18psi. This is not to say that they all will. Like my 1jz has something wrong internally and it was only running stock turbos so I still think each engine is different.

BTW quickest 1j I know of in US is a MK3 supra running 10.22. Unfortunately so many americans are very secretive about their cars that you can't get any information. bloody stupid if you ask me. Also, there is a fella who made 830rwhp on an internally stock 1jz. Also, no pics or info though Sad
1j180
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Fri, 24 December 2004 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's easy to throw in some ancedotal caseses into the mix but unless you have the specific details of each one they can be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not saying it isn't possible at all, I just find a 10.8 rb25 s14 on stock internals pretty amazing. Not that drag racing is that high stress relative to circut/drift which is more my interest. I'd wonder how it would hold up to 20 laps of a 2km track on a hot day? Holding an engine together for 10,11,12 secs compared to many many mintues is two very different comparisons.

There was a guy on the Skylines Australia forum that made ~311rwkw on stock motor btw for a time. Of course when you have an engine that's fitted to literally tens of thousands of modified vehicles there's always going to be some freak standouts. The mean however is still much much lower, just talk to all the owners that have seen there rings lands let go well below that (including the guy who bought my old car, but that was a bent rod). I've never ever heard of someone destroying a 1jz (besides head gaskets and thats very few) I'm sure it's happened but still it's rare.

1jz's are not that well known in qtr mile terms because of the chassis there commonly in. Obviously a Soarer is far from an optimum light weight drag orinitation. I've read/heard of many powerful stock 1jz's, the old JMS soarer with around 320kws at the treads, the Sub Zero Soarer with 340kws, even that Zoom Martin Donnon (not that I believe his figures but take off 30% BS factor).

As I said the Rb25 is an average engine at best, so then why settle for average when you can have exceptional...for half the money.

Eagz
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Fri, 24 December 2004 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WHY, id rather the stock R32 anyday could do alot more with it

but i know a few people who hav R32's

I know of a 180sx and a S15 "cut n shut" drift car
S15 front and 180 Rear
Registered in Team Intergrated

quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: 1JZ/ Skyline Fri, 24 December 2004 12:49 Go to previous message
Davey,
I believe that 10.2s mk3 uses a 2jz bottom end. Orins car, eh. I've seen him post details about it right here on this forum in the '1.5jz' thread. No surprises there since we all know what a 3L j is capable of.
I know and seen 1jz swapped u.s. mk3s run with big singles and never come close to 10s. Why folks replace their 3L with a 2.5L in such a heavy hull, is beyond me.
Its very uncommon for fellow enthusiasts to not share their combination with anyone, unless they are in some kinda competition - like 'shop cars' etc.... but you do have a few shady or stingy characters.

1j180,
Do you have a 1j in your 180? There was a nice 1j/s13 shown on u.s. freshalloy forum. He ran 11.8s, so I don't see whats so suspect about a 25 running 10s with a big single and standalone.... but if you're convinced that the "Rb25 is an average engine at best", I can understand the skepticism.
Remember that the majority of u.s. turbo cars run hi boost, slicks or ET streets and race gas for their strip assaults, and will usually dyno for both street (pump gas/drag radials) and track configuration.
Another 'minor' detail folks overlook is gearing, once you've increased torque. Iirc these 25 swaps ran the j30 3.7 diff. The ij/s13 guy posted seeking a 3.5:1 or so, dunno if he ever got it. Many folks subscibe to the misconception that you need shorter gearing to go fast. Wrong.
Would the 25 last on a circuit? Probably not, but I've never seen one use a swapped inline 6 for such a purpose. Not a good choice imo.
These 25s aren't freaks. You just seen what happens when guys copy and paste a proven formula to a 25. Yes the pistons not up to par with the 1j, but nevertheless, folks have sucess with it and ran the numbers to prove it. One did damage his pistons at over 600hp tho. He was "unfamiliar with the 25, and wouldn't have got so aggressive with the timing (microtech) if he had known about the compression/piston issue". They're what... 9.XX:1? Tuner was chasing bigger numbers just for the hell of it, so I wouldn't blame the 25. Goal was to build an exceptionally fast street car - the 25 surpassed it by a good much, eh.

I'd choose a 7m or 2j over either. Seen remarkable results even from boosted GEs.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Engine conversion into a Toyota Tercel
Next Topic:ECU selection
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 07:48:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053927898406982 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.