Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Fri, 17 December 2004 09:32 Go to next message
Hi everyone.

I have a problem with the idle speed in my 1g-gte. It increases to maybe 1500 rpm then it's almost like it cuts out (like lifting your foot off the throttle), this hits I suppose about 800-900 rpm and instantly increases again. If I unplug the idle control unit it revs at about 2000rpm but it's stable. Any ideas on where I should start to look? I'm pretty sure it's electrical but I don't know which sensor to look at first. The last time the motor was run (around 5 months ago since I have been building the rest of the car) it ran smooth as a button so I think I may have made a mistake in the wiring when I did the conversion.
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Fri, 17 December 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clean the ISCV properly, thats where I'd be looking first, and if it's anything like mine was, it's full of gunk.
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Fri, 17 December 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have the same prob..where's the ISCV ? what does it look like ?

Cheers
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Fri, 17 December 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The iscv is the black little unit located on the plenum next to the throttle body towards the front of the car.

Cheers Adam
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Fri, 17 December 2004 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that the one with the pipe attached to it ?
Will look and see if it's the right one. How do i clean it ?
Can i use a carb cleaner ?

cheers
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Sat, 18 December 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had that problem too. Turned out being lack of power to the stepper motor... Cleaning will help too Smile

Since it's a weekend, i'm going to be doing a lot of cleaning Razz
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Sat, 18 December 2004 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Out of curiosity how did you increase the power to the steper motor.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Sat, 18 December 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, I should clarify, there was NO power getting to the stepper motor, I missed one wire during the conversion Embarassed
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Sat, 18 December 2004 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
worked a treat. thanks guys. one more thing. it seems to idle a little high, I have checked the accelerator tension and the stepper motor adjustment, where else effects idle?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Sat, 18 December 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Idle screw on top of the throttle body.

I cleaned my ISCV today just to see what'd happen, it idles way more smoothly now. I also cleaned out that one way valve that sits in the hole.
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Sat, 18 December 2004 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We'll it turns out the reason for the idle being high is because when I cleaned out the iscv the plunger (magnetic thing inside) was all the way out and there was no power to the iscv to push it back in Embarassed . I connected it to some power and problem solvered.

Does anyone know which wire to use to turn on the electric fan or does the ig-gte ECU not have accomodation for that?

Also where is the easiest places to get to to rig up a boost gauge and oil pressure gauge?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Sat, 18 December 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The electric fan on my car is controlled by the A/C circuit... I assume the 1g-gte ecu doesnt deal with this since it has the fan on the water pump pulley.

Boost gauge can come off the intake plenum... at the end that has hoses going to things like power steering (you probably dont use this) and the like.

Oil pressure... umm... there is a sender on the engine, but I dunno if it'll work with anything but a factory toyota gauge. It's on the intake side of the block... maybe adapt this to work with a new gauge?

As I said above, I had that problem with my ISCV Razz Missing power!
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Sat, 18 December 2004 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the tips. I should be able to use a 'T' piece on the original oil sender it's just nice to know the general area it is in so I don't have to go looking for it Very Happy. The 1/2 cut had a small electric fan aswell as the water pump fan on it, this was triggered when the car reached temperature. It might have just been triggered by an external switch. Maybe I should have paid more attention before I pulled it apart Rolling Eyes . How have you used the A/C circut to control the fans?

On a different note. Can anyone recommend some decent but not too expensive gauges? I've decided it would be easiest to just replace everything (mainly so it all matches). I'm not after pretty blue lights or anything like that. Just want a reliable and not too ugly set of standard gauges (fuel, oil, water, volts, speedo, tacho and maybe boost for when I play with that). They will be going into a panel similar to a standard RA28 cluster (fiberglass copy with some modifications).

BTW this thing is fast. Took it for a short run up the street and it's a lot of fun. Can't wait to have it all registered and on the road.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Sat, 18 December 2004 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
after cleaning it and having my one stick a few too many times, I just cut out a blanking plate from some 4mm gasket. put it in there and no more dramas from it. only down side it that it doesnt idle up to warm up, but really that isnt a major problem. atleast I know it is sealed.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Sat, 18 December 2004 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine never does the cold idle up Sad I haven't been able to work out why yet.

I haven't used that small electric fan... I think it's for when the car is sitting in traffic with the A/C on. I dunno, i'm only guessing.

Yeh a gen3 1g-gte should be pretty zippy! My 1g-gte is a gen 3 but someone replaced the turbos with gen1 items... and they suck.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Sat, 18 December 2004 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the reason your idle up will not be working is most likely it is gunked up. my one was gunked up and the little one way flap inside it was stuck closed.
pull apart and used wd40/degreaser to clean.

it doesnt need the electric connected as it runs off the water too.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Sat, 18 December 2004 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting...

That flap, I cleaned it up, but I still don't see any idle up happening. Thats the orange flap right?

Maybe I should pull the ISCV off and clean it more.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Sun, 19 December 2004 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah orangy pink. that makes sure once on boost nothing comes back from the inletmanifold into the plumbing.

the valve needs to be cleaned and also try pushing it in and out to free it up.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Sun, 19 December 2004 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I assume you mean the ISCV itself and not the orange flap then? I'll push it around a bit until I think it's clean Smile

If the cold start injector wasnt working would the cold idle up not work correctly? I suspect that it might possibly be blocked up... maybe I should try remove it and check it.
Dylo
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Sun, 19 December 2004 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, what a spin out, i just came on here to post a similar question about the crazy idle on my 1GGTE. Its been idling up to 1500 and then stays there for sometimes AGES! Sometimes till i stop for a while then restart it. Other times its fine around 900.

But ive figured out if its idling normally and I let the clutch out slow, give it no gas and let the idle pull the car. The idle jumps up 1500?

Whats with that?!

I changed the ISCV but maybe this one's just as bad? Where does the power come from and even if it had no power, it wouldnt ever slow the idle down, would it?

IS it the only thing that controls the idle?
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Sun, 19 December 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds more like a vacuum leak or AFM problem.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Sun, 19 December 2004 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My ISCV is acting funny or something Embarassed

It worked once today, was great! But it never worked again after that... I'm starting to think the motor is stuffed, and it only steps in one direction. Or maybe the power is only acting in one direction, or some other crazy shit.

I wish I had a lot of them sitting around Razz
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Sun, 19 December 2004 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just do what i did and blank it off.

it then eliminates it as the problem, the car still starts in the cold, just doesnt idle up to 1500rpm to warm up so you can either let it warm itself up on a low idle or just give it some accelerator to warm up. but you wont have any dramas from the iscv anymore.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Sun, 19 December 2004 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone got a pic of this thing (iscv) and how to clean it , is it just open the black box and spray wd40 in it , or will shit pop out of it when opened like springs or metal bits or what not , dont want to open it up and have shit flying everywhere

cheers
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Mon, 20 December 2004 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup...i second indian's question ...will shit come flying out
I.e. bb's or spring etc..

Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Mon, 20 December 2004 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no you undo the two size 12 bolts holding it in.
the only things you can loose is the flap thing and a rubber ring that hold it in and seals everything but they are both semi inside the inletmanifold.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Tue, 21 December 2004 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SO what exactly do we have to clean , is it only the little bit where the black box comes out of or the actual stuff inside the black box itself Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused
Dylo
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Tue, 21 December 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just out of curiosity what do your guys 1GGTEs idle at under cold start? Mine has always idled at 2000rpm! Sounds a bit excessive if you ask me but i never thought to ask...

1500 rpm as stated above?

What could be making it idle this high?
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Tue, 21 December 2004 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah 1500ish and then down to 700-600 rpm when normal temperature
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1g-gte (gen 3) idle problem Mon, 27 December 2004 01:13 Go to previous message
Hello again..
after reading all about the ISCV i decided to 'clean' mine too over the weekend, TELL ME IF THIS SOUNDS RIGHT.12 size bolts..removed..all I saw was the O-ring..that rubber valve thingy covering the hole...removed and that was it. No flap..in the plenum..where there was kinda groove half 'curve' hollow' place where I think there might have been a flap/butterfly..
The black part itself..had a spring type valve...kinda one like in a thermostat..but it was hard..could not move it back in or forth. IS this Right ? Can someone please advise..or show me pics or diagrams ?

Thanks for the help
Cheers
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Chroming
Next Topic:t25 or ct12 for '3ete' 1.5 sohc
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 07:12:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069959163665771 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.