Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dimstar
Newcomer

December 2004
Buying an ST162 Sat, 18 December 2004 10:41 Go to next message
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. I'm based in Glenelg, SA and am seriously considering buying a 1987 ST162 Celica. It's advertised locally; White, 203,000kms, Manual advertised for 4900.

Can anyone give me perhaps a 'buyers guide' with any common flaws or things to look for in the ST162s. I believe it may have a Gen 2 engine in it, but I'm not 100% sure.

Any guidance would be great.

PS: I have a friend who's a mechanic looking over it too, but just want to compile a list of any unique flaws for him.

Thanks alot,

James Dimitriu
  Send a private message to this user    
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Buying an ST162 Sat, 18 December 2004 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1st up is it an sx or an st?
Im sure this topic has been covered before. If not specifically for the st162 there are general guidelines to follow when buying any car.
I reckon you should do a search.
From personal experience youshould check for rust, if its the sx, check the sunroof for rust (but don't be surprised if you find some). Check for any oil or fluid leaks, smokey exhaust, or strange noises when you're driving it.
$4900 it probably ok if its in good to very good condition. My st162 with a gen II 3sgte and 16" mags was $6000 but that's a fairly different car.
Good luck.
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Buying an ST162 Sat, 18 December 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ummm to my knowledge, SX doesn't need to have a sunroof.

neways thinks that i would check for it in it:
-any nosie as state above
-smokey exhaust
-how the car takes bumps ~i dunno if this is also a problem in the 162, but it is in the 184 i drove a few that have loose front A frames~
-check the log books if they are avaliable, and look for your major services that should have been done ie, timming belt, coolent flushes, wheel alignments, etc (timming belt should be done every 100kms)
-another common problem is with the gearboxes, try putting the car in to 5th at 60kms when you release the clutch, your are looking too see if it comes out of gear or just pushes back.
-check the dip stick as well, you are looking at if there are any spalshes up the dip stick.

another question i would check with the owner about is if it really is a gen 2, when was the conversion done, what was done to the engine in the conversion etc. 200 000+kms seems high for a car with a conversion to a gen2, but its still possible. was the engine reconditioned b4 put into the car, is it JDM, modded plates.

thats just my input its all yours now
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Buying an ST162 Sat, 18 December 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah one way to find out if its a st or sx is to check the brakes

sx = 4 wheel disc
st = drums on the back
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Buying an ST162 Sat, 18 December 2004 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's true, the sx doesn't necessarily have a sunroof.
Also you might wanna check for uneven tyre wear.
I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Buying an ST162 Sun, 19 December 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my st162 sx does hav a sunroof.

check the synchros in 2nd.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Buying an ST162 Sun, 19 December 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=15308&rid=2485&S=3cbde03b87ea8e8ce57a613 55908a344&pl_view=&start=0#msg_124761

Wink
inferno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Buying an ST162 Sun, 19 December 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard 162s have significant problems with cv joints? maybe hear for clicking when you turn a sharp corner when u take it for a test drive...

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Buying an ST162 Sun, 19 December 2004 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have not had any real problem in my experience, nor do I know anyone else who has..

the driveshaft angle in the joints is actually quite conservative, Subaru's however have relatively steep angles in comparison and don't have problems, so I guess it comes down to how it was treated!

but yeah, do that circle thing at full lock and you will know if there is a problem
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Buying an ST162 Sun, 19 December 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charades have a problem with CV joints atleast all the ones i have driven, ~not that many i try and avoid it if its possible~ but even tho this should be check. don't do it stupidily like someone i know all you need to do is make sure you turn the wheels all the way one way and all the way back, do a 3 point turn is usually the easiest way, do try and to it too quick just a nice comfortable speed if anything slower then you would do it normally, my power steering groans alittle when turning to full locks, i'm led to believe this is a power steering weakness, it doesn't lose any fluids i haven't actually need to top it up ever yet, the resivour is still full.

good luck with the car mate
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Buying an ST162 Mon, 20 December 2004 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check the engine mounts
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Buying an ST162 Mon, 20 December 2004 21:58 Go to previous message
ive also heard about a problem that the starter motor doesnt get enough power so it doesnt start straight away all the time, its a $30 fix a any autoelectritian
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:T18 sidecam??? please help
Next Topic:Is a rear disc conversion possible on a ST141 Corona?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 22:02:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010206937789917 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.