Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » tire width stagger how much?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Moonbreaker
Occasional Poster

October 2003
tire width stagger how much? Sun, 19 December 2004 17:28 Go to next message
planning to buy tires over the xmas season i was wondering how much staggering is tolerable for a street driven car? if i use 215 rear then 175 fronts how much would that shit up handling? what would be a recommended stagger gap? 10mm 20mm 30mm?

[Updated on: Sun, 19 December 2004 17:29]

Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: tire width stagger how much? Sun, 19 December 2004 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends on the car, weight ratio, suspension... that said, it'll just make you understeer a bit more
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: tire width stagger how much? Mon, 20 December 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like draven said, depends on the car. Just for an example. My SW20 is supposed to be 205 at the back & 185 at the front(although I'm running 205's all round and it still seems to handle perfect).
Moonbreaker
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: tire width stagger how much? Mon, 20 December 2004 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the cars a 75 celi. its mainly a week end car so comfort desnt matter that much, its mostly stock except for a little lowering and twin carbs and a front strut. what stagger wouldnt cause too much understeer?
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: tire width stagger how much? Mon, 20 December 2004 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It also greatly depends on the wheel size i.e. diameter and width. Having wide tyres on a narrow rim will create more sidewall tyre flex through cornering, however will provide a greater contact with the road (improve braking).

It also depends on driving style. The staggering you have meantioned is not at all recommended for a great deal of cornering, however will provide greater rear wheel traction for straight acceleration.

And also as meantioned suspension setup and the car in general are also variables for car handling.

Out of curiosity, what width wheels are you running?
Moonbreaker
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: tire width stagger how much? Wed, 22 December 2004 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
currently have 195/70/13's on but am going to switch to 14s with a lower profile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: tire width stagger how much? Thu, 23 December 2004 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for the weight of the car, 195/205 are ideal.

if you make the fronts smaller, you decrease braking ability... in the dry... check with RTA as the to allowable difference, it's either 25mm in rim width, or 25mm in tread difference..
that said, why would you want stagger anyway?
Esteban
Regular

June 2002
icon10.gif  Re: tire width stagger how much? Fri, 24 December 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im staggering as we speak and it's all good ... oh! you mean tyres! sorory Embarassed
Moonbreaker
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: tire width stagger how much? Sun, 26 December 2004 10:03 Go to previous message
my wheels have 20 offset so the fronts are limited to 195's but i still want to upgrade my tire width for the more filled look
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:WIRING DIAGRAM FOR AE92 SX
Next Topic:Anyone encountered ZIEBART rust protection?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 20:04:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053610801696777 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.