Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
7mgte into ma70 supra Fri, 17 December 2004 01:32 Go to next message
ok...im looking for someone who has done this before, im changing motors in an ma70 the old 7m is out already and the new one is ready to go in......but from experiance i know that its just not that easy, the problem im having is that i cant seem to line the engine mounts up, im sure there is an easy way to do it so whoever has done this plz give me a tip because im sick of strugling with this damn thing

(and saying something like "use a hoist to put the engine in" is not helpfull before some smart ass starts, im looking for a specific method)

thanx

Adam
  Send a private message to this user    
snail
Regular

March 2004
Re: 7mgte into ma70 supra Fri, 17 December 2004 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depending on what year model your 7MGTE is it might have different mounts. Why dont you just change the brackets and mounts over from the 7MGE. Then it should fit Smile
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: 7mgte into ma70 supra Fri, 17 December 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm....ill double check but it just came out of a mz20 soarer so it should fit right? cos the chassis is the same i think

any other ideas?

Adam
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7mgte into ma70 supra Fri, 17 December 2004 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The early and late mounts are very different, so if you've got the wrong ones I'm sure you would have figured it out by now.

I've never had a problem getting M engines in a car, but as with any engine swap it takes a fair amount of wiggling and a good dose of brute force. Be more specific about your problem, what's stopping it from lining up? Is it fouling something in the engine bay? Is the engine on a big angle or have you got it fairly straight?
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: 7mgte into ma70 supra Mon, 20 December 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well....the gearbox is attached to it and its at about a 20 deg angle, the problem im having is that the rocker cover hits the firewall and just cant straighten the motor enough for the mounts to go back the extra 5 cm or so...i havent tried it since because the weather is at like 40 deg here in perth so im waiting

but i think the problem is that the motor was at too much of an angle and next time im just gonna make it dead straight and should go in hopefully, i tell ya its a hell of a lot harder then puting a 4age in a sprinta Confused

Adam
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 7mgte into ma70 supra Mon, 20 December 2004 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, it needs to be flatter.

Putting the motor in franks car, I stood inside the cabin, and had a rope going through the shifter hole and around the gbox.

As he lowered the motor, I pulled the gbox up and more horizontal. This pulls the rocker covers away from the firewall
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 7mgte into ma70 supra Mon, 20 December 2004 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I stood on my engine to get it in properly, then jacked up the gearbox from underneath. Rope sounds a bit dodgy/flimsy.

(standing on your guard isn't good, mine now has a footprint or two)
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 7mgte into ma70 supra Mon, 20 December 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Mon, 20 December 2004 11:23

I stood on my engine to get it in properly, then jacked up the gearbox from underneath. Rope sounds a bit dodgy/flimsy.

If the rope breaks, then you obviously didnt choose a strong enough rope.
It is not at all dodgy, and its much quicker than using a jack udner the gbox.
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: 7mgte into ma70 supra Mon, 20 December 2004 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx mate thats exactly the tip i needed....quiet ingenious even Very Happy but u dont mean use a rope to hoist the motor do u...just to pull on the gearbox right?

Adam
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 7mgte into ma70 supra Mon, 20 December 2004 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just the gbox

Use the chain on the hoist/engine as it would currently be setup

But use rope around the gbox through the shifter hole to level the motor out as you lower it.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 7mgte into ma70 supra Mon, 20 December 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd still reccomend using a jack, that way you can get the EXACT height, then put the bolts in for the gearbox and get the mounts at the front to line up.

Maybe I'm thinking "bolting it up" while your thinking "getting it in".

... Must be the dodgy handlebar moe I was picturing on the guy holding a gearbox up with a peice of rope through the shifter hole.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 7mgte into ma70 supra Mon, 20 December 2004 05:06 Go to previous message
SupraPete wrote on Mon, 20 December 2004 12:55

I'd still reccomend using a jack, that way you can get the EXACT height, then put the bolts in for the gearbox and get the mounts at the front to line up.

Maybe I'm thinking "bolting it up" while your thinking "getting it in".

... Must be the dodgy handlebar moe I was picturing on the guy holding a gearbox up with a peice of rope through the shifter hole.

Could be. Good news is its coming back...

But yeah, getting it in, once the mounts are sitting the right place, or close to the right place, then run a jack under the box, bolt the box on, and then go back to the mounts.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:car wont start... 20v blacktop
Next Topic:ST185CS Brake pads
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 05:02:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060529708862305 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.