Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » MA61 Suspension....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Thruan
Occasional Poster

August 2004
MA61 Suspension.... Mon, 20 December 2004 23:59 Go to next message
ok ppl. ive used the search and couldnt find what im looking for...so here goes (point me to a thread if its relivent) check it this is how it is Cool - Ma61, stock wheels stock height and sus... i wanna kno who make good shocks and springs for it. and prices if u have them.i wanna lower it a fair bit, i recon it looks like a 4wd but thats just me..ill be getting new rims soon as i get the $$$ but till then i just wanna lower it and put in some decent sus...thanks ppl
  Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 21 December 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kings make standard (which lower aprox 20-30mm anyway?), and lows (which by what I have heard, some people think are a little low to be practical...), I think norbie has a pic on his site of his with kings lows in it....

KYB's (norbie has these and thinks they are apparently a bit soft...?)

Glen (black supra) has kings standards and Tokico's (and urethane bushes), and he is apparently VERY happy....

bbaacchhyy has kings standards (was going to put the car on the road with kings lows, but changed due to them being so low), with RAV4 Koni's in the front and MA70 Koni's in the rear (some work required to make them fit?), he hasn't had it on the road yet tho to tell us how good it is Smile

I don't think the stock koni's for the MA61 are externally adjustable, not a big deal for the rear, a real PITA for the front tho (I suspect that's the main reason for bbaacchhyy using different model koni's...?)

...personally I'd be keen to go the Kings standard and Tokico route (you can get the tokicos from the USA off ebay quite cheap....)

Cheers
Wilbo
Thruan
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 21 December 2004 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok kool thanks, ill have a look.

another question... ive got the digital dash and the temp just latley is sittin on the halfway arrow is this normal?? it did dit just below it a while ago, ive flushed the engine with proper 'gunk' remover and it sits 1 below the middle for like a week then goes back to the middle mark. so um yeah is this normal or what??
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 21 December 2004 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top summary there Wilbo !!! Save me a bit of typing.

I think that King Low's are too low (particularly at the rear), but that is part personal taste and engineering reasons.

Stock Koni's (Red's) are internally adjustable, but it depends on how much you want to pay as to what you fit. Mine cost me $790 plus some work to make the rears fit.

I plan to have it on the road soon as the summer weather and the Adealide hills are beckoning....

Here is a link to some pics of the car

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=43718&start=0&rid=3701&S=b7cea596ab2 75fac6a96bd2ddb5f65c3

Agree with the King Std and Tokiko route as the best compromise between quality and ease of supply/fitment

What mags are you planning to/going to fit ?

Ooroo

[Updated on: Tue, 21 December 2004 00:34]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 21 December 2004 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 08:32

I plan to have it on the road soon as the summer weather and the Adealide hills are beckoning....

Its beckoning dude, its been beckoning for months...
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 21 December 2004 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 11:38

bbaacchhyy wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 08:32

Its beckoning dude, its been beckoning for months...

Well it is getting closer is all I can say.......

Will be in the shed again tonight.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 21 December 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah, i vote kings lows...

dang car handles like a go-kart. yes, it is low, and sometimes impractical (servo driveways are a PITA) but lets face it, thats one of the many compromises you make with performance cars.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 21 December 2004 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
king lows might be ok with no front mount.... but even with king standards I gotta be careful about my front mount hitting things
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 21 December 2004 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got King Spring Standards all around and the car sits a little too low for my liking... I have speed humps down my street and i scrap my muffler now and again Mad though it's heaps better then having the crappy standard saggy spring I had in there previously.

Yian has King Spring Lows on his car and it's stupidly low at the back... every time he puts the power down with the 7M it looks like a boat about to plane...

Cheers.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 21 December 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

KYB GR-2's are a bit soft, KYB Gas-A-Just are very good.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 21 December 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you don't feel like doing a lot of custom work, do what I did and get tokico's, king lows/standards, and if you have change left over, get bushes too (i'm gonna get these soon).

I'm very happy with the tokico's! KYB's (the type the average joe would buy) are a little soft, the gas-a-justs are probably able to be harder and better.

Tokico's are pretty good value too.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 21 December 2004 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have KYB in mine and they are a great, better than the original ones after 300k's
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 21 December 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kings lows look great but (a) they're way too soft for anything but posing (180 lb/in) and (b) unless you do something about the rear camber you'll have problems with traction.

As mentioned I have Kings lows and KYB standards. Not impressed with the combo at all, way too soft and bottoms out easily when driving hard. I'm upgrading to 300 lb/in springs and Koni yellow externally-adjustable shocks. Should be in by the new year.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 21 December 2004 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 22 December 2004 00:27

I'm upgrading to 300 lb/in springs and Koni yellow externally-adjustable shocks. Should be in by the new year.

That's for the front only Norbs ?

What are you doing for the rear ? I'm still hankering for a coilover rear as well.

Here is a pic of what someone (Gary M) in the States did to a Celica GTS (equivalent to an RA65 chassis wise I think)

http://img153.exs.cx/img153/5804/rcoil18ix.jpg

Yes, it will require bracing in the affected areas, but any other thoughts ?

Cheers

Michael B
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 21 December 2004 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
king lows spring rate:

front is rising rate 190lb/in to 225lb/in
rear is linear rate 235lb/in

imho, Fr = 250 and Rr = 300 would be a good combo
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 21 December 2004 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Wed, 22 December 2004 10:42

king lows spring rate:

I'm gonna go for 325lb/in fronts (cause they are the springs I have Laughing ) when I go coil overs cause of the greater weight with the turbo over your N/A motor.

It will be interesting to hear Norbs Feebcak as well as he is getting 300lb/in.

Any thoughts on the coilvers for the rear (that I posted above) ED ? Whoops, Dr Ed Rolling
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Suspension.... Wed, 22 December 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Wed, 22 December 2004 07:42

king lows spring rate:

Any idea on the standards? Glens car handles like a motherfucker.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Wed, 22 December 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i can see how it'd work, but im still not that happy with it Confused

the little stub for the shock mount would need a lot of reinforcement. the spring load is only supported on one side, and id be afraid of ripping it clean out with a big impact. its only originally designed to take a damping load, not the impulse of a full vehicle on impact Shocked

atleast the axis is correct.

the upper mounting would also need som reo, but probably not as much. id want to weld in, say a shaped 4" sqaure plate on the underside of the body. you also abviouslt want to get the pivot axis correct.

other than that, sure decent idea.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Wed, 22 December 2004 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Wed, 22 December 2004 11:27

the little stub for the shock mount would need a lot of reinforcement. the spring load is only supported on one side, and id be afraid of ripping it clean out with a big impact. its only originally designed to take a damping load, not the impulse of a full vehicle on impact Shocked

the upper mounting would also need som reo, but probably not as much. id want to weld in, say a shaped 4" sqaure plate on the underside of the body. you also obviously want to get the pivot axis correct.

I agree with your sentiments, but the MA61 lower shock mount is pretty sturdy, but decent reinforcement would be a good idea for sure.

Sigh. Another idea to contemplate .....
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Wed, 22 December 2004 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 22 December 2004 11:27

king lows spring rate:

Any idea on the standards? Glens car handles like a motherfucker.

Ring Kings direct and ask. That is what I did to get the low's spring rate, but I think the stds are very similar if not the same.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Wed, 22 December 2004 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I rang Kings direct and they told me 180 lb/in for the lows (that's the front, didn't ask about rear). I want a softer rear end so I'll be leaving the rear springs as is; the MA61 chassis is tail-happy enough as it is, so stiffer springs in the back doesn't seem like a good idea!

For the time being I'm leaving the rear suspension setup as it is (apart from upgrading to Koni dampers) but long-term I do want coilovers back there; it's just a question of how to do it without spending a fortune! Adapting JZX81 coilovers to fit in the shock towers seems like the most logical solution, but as Ed mentioned significant bracing would be required if I want to keep the shock towers attached to the floorpan. I'll investigate the options further when I've got the front end finished, but the way things are going that might not be for a while. Sad
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Wed, 22 December 2004 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 22 December 2004 19:33

For the time being I'm leaving the rear suspension setup as it is (apart from upgrading to Koni dampers) but long-term I do want coilovers back there; it's just a question of how to do it without spending a fortune! Adapting JZX81 coilovers to fit in the shock towers seems like the most logical solution, but as Ed mentioned significant bracing would be required

What shocks (reds ?) are you going to use in the back ?

I had a look at the possibility of using the ma70 rear setup (as I already have the shocks in), but with the size constrictions, it looks like a setup that Gary M has adapted (pics up further in this thread) is the way to go.

I am going to have a look at the rear shock mount from the left over MS123 arms that I have to help ponder this further...

RA65 Sleeka
Regular

June 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Thu, 23 December 2004 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i herd there is a company that are making coilovers for the rear of irs model commodores now if this is true. would you be able to use a setup which is similar.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Thu, 23 December 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Thu, 23 December 2004 07:09

What shocks (reds ?) are you going to use in the back ?

I'll be using yellows to match the front. More than likely I'll have to adapt something designed for another car, but I'll worry about that when I get to it. Smile
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Thu, 23 December 2004 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA65Sleeka,

Possibly, it depends on the configuration of them. If you have any details, let me know please

Norbs,

Re the rear shocks, let me know when you are ready and I'll let you know what I have done in details

Michael B
Thruan
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Thu, 23 December 2004 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whoa ok, this thread has taken off... first off, any ideas about the temp gauge stuff.... ok thanks for all the advice. lookis like ill be going the tokiko's and kings std...i cant have a really low car. although itll lokk better but to impractiable (yeah i cant spell... Razz) for where i usally live (mackay qld if any one cares)... ah wheels... depends on how much money i can get but 17's and at least 8 - 8.5 wide, if i can get them, rubber will be to $$ for 18's plus the whole scrubbing issue. anyway thanks again
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Thu, 23 December 2004 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thruan wrote on Fri, 24 December 2004 09:51

ah wheels... depends on how much money i can get but 17's and at least 8 - 8.5 wide, if i can get them, rubber will be to $$ for 18's plus the whole scrubbing issue. anyway thanks again

Unless you go for a 3 piece style wheel (Simmons, ROH, Neale's), you wont find anything available at all.

many have looked and found little if nothing.

Stick with 17's as I reckon 18's will be too big.

Cheers

Michael B
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA61 Suspension.... Thu, 23 December 2004 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I actually find my soarer with ma61 king springs lows handles quite well... and looks great
the rear camber doesent hurt TOO bad, my rear tyres are now getting chewed away pretty fast.. but still wearing evenly

Heres the comparison between STD and LOWS
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/car/1.JPG

http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/car/jzz10/frontpaint.jpg

I love the way it handles now.. straight off the line traction isnt great.. but thats because of a few things
mk27m
Regular

November 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Sat, 25 December 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey i was just thinking i'd make a post the same as this, can anyone recommend where to go in oz the get the tokico's and kings standard combo?

Drew.
timottaway
Regular

September 2004
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Sat, 25 December 2004 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey i just wanted to find out who is running adj coilovers on their a6's and also if nebody could tell me the issues they came across carrying out the conversion. also needed some advice on correcting the bump steer on the trailing arms of the irs used in the a6's, for my intended purpose i need an acceptable amount of camber and 0 toe after the car is lowered in excess of 3 inches... ne help would be much appreciated thanks...
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Sat, 25 December 2004 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mk27m wrote on Sat, 25 December 2004 23:03

Hey i was just thinking i'd make a post the same as this, can anyone recommend where to go in oz the get the tokico's and kings standard combo?

Drew.

You have to import the tokico shocks. But they are worth it.

3 inches is excessive on an MA61, good luck.
mk27m
Regular

November 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Sun, 26 December 2004 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok thanks, i found a pretty good site: http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/dsp_parts.cfm? vpcid=453&vcatid=0010&vcatyear=1984&vm odelid=120&vmakeid=420&vL1id=0&&vt itle=TOYOTA%20Supra%201984 they have tokico shocks/struts for $92.86us total, they also have "suspension tech" and "eibach" brand springs. ($304 and $187 usd respectively). Anyone know if these are good brands/prices?

Thanks,

Drew.

PS: both lots of these springs lower the ride height, which i want to avoid as i have a full 3 inch exhaust which scrapes heaps, any ideas?

[Updated on: Sun, 26 December 2004 03:06]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Mon, 27 December 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My MA61 is lowered by a fair amount, probably close to 3 inches. Last time I got a wheel alignment done they measured the rear camber for me; it's currently 3.8 degrees! Shocked Rear camber is not adjustable from the factory.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA61 Suspension.... Mon, 27 December 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 27 December 2004 20:41

My MA61 is lowered by a fair amount, probably close to 3 inches. Last time I got a wheel alignment done they measured the rear camber for me; it's currently 3.8 degrees! Shocked Rear camber is not adjustable from the factory.

yah, mines the same.. do you find it affects anything other than traction negatively?. i havent
my tyre wear isnt that uneven either
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Mon, 27 December 2004 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Mon, 27 December 2004 20:58

Norbie wrote on Mon, 27 December 2004 20:41

yah, mines the same.. do you find it affects anything other than traction negatively?. i havent
my tyre wear isnt that uneven either

Its probably not too crash hot on the rear axles and driveshafts.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Mon, 27 December 2004 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're talking about the CV's, then yes in theory it will decrease their lifespan, but by how much I wouldn't know.

Tyre wear is terrible, the last pair of tyres I threw out were completely bald on the inside but had at least 50% tread remaining on the outside. Straight-line traction is quite poor and in heavy cornering the arse end always feels nervous and unsettled. I'm expecting massive improvements once the camber is brought back into line.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA61 Suspension.... Mon, 27 December 2004 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 27 December 2004 22:22

If you're talking about the CV's, then yes in theory it will decrease their lifespan, but by how much I wouldn't know.

Tyre wear is terrible, the last pair of tyres I threw out were completely bald on the inside but had at least 50% tread remaining on the outside. Straight-line traction is quite poor and in heavy cornering the arse end always feels nervous and unsettled. I'm expecting massive improvements once the camber is brought back into line.

what sort of price are you looking at finished for the camber correction?
mine acutally feels really secure in the rear end
on the edge it just squats and behaves.
as i said.. my tyres havent got bad wear at all.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Mon, 27 December 2004 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the camber is quite good

scatty on hard corners? dont know what your talking about norbie Rolling Eyes the old girl just puts her shoulder in, and rails around corners

i cant wait for some camber in the front and some bigger swaybars
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Mon, 27 December 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should organise a group buy for tokico's, surely theres enough interest to warrant it.

How do you go about "choosing" what spring rate you use in an a6? From what i gather our only choices are import some eibach's or buy king springs locally.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 28 December 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Mon, 27 December 2004 21:50

scatty on hard corners? dont know what your talking about norbie Rolling Eyes the old girl just puts her shoulder in, and rails around corners

Well that's not my experience, but I don't know how much of that can be blamed on the suspension... I suspect my shitty cheapo tyres have a lot to do with it also. It's amazing what a good set of tyres will do for your handling!
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 28 December 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very true

Cool
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 28 December 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, my tyres are awesomely grippy. though at like 1100 a set.. its a bit of a pain when you need to replace them(havent had to replace them as of yet)
what sort of tyres you run norbie?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 28 December 2004 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn your car is pimped jag!

also, adjustable front strut tops are your friend if you're serious about properly tuning the suspension (ask Joorsh for the compatible part number - it bolts up, but is not designed for an MA61)
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 28 December 2004 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

king lows spring rate:

Thats really soft IMHO.
In my corona (with puny 3T) I found my 225lbs(4kg/mm) springs too soft. Im going to try 5 or 6kg/mm at front next.

ED are you sure about that spring combo? I mean, I dont own a Supra and I dont know what Supra wants Laughing , but In my thoughts a Supra with those springs would go ass first through every corner...
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 28 December 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, im certain of those rates...

dont forget to take into account the leverage ratio when comparing susp set-ups and appropriate spring rates
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 28 December 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 28 December 2004 23:15

damn your car is pimped jag!

are you being serious or sarcastic?.. have you not seen my car in that long?
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 28 December 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I did thought about the leverage. The thought still feels wierd, but you might be right. Smile
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 28 December 2004 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 28 December 2004 23:08

Yes, my tyres are awesomely grippy. though at like 1100 a set..

They wont be GRIPPY tyres. Good ones will set you back around the $350 to $500 per tyre in 235/45x17's.....

I'm probably looking at the semi-slick race tyures when I lash out. Now they're grippy !!!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 28 December 2004 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 07:15

Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 28 December 2004 23:08

Yes, my tyres are awesomely grippy. though at like 1100 a set..

They wont be GRIPPY tyres. Good ones will set you back around the $350 to $500 per tyre in 235/45x17's.....

I'm probably looking at the semi-slick race tyures when I lash out. Now they're grippy !!!

grippy compared to 100 per tyre dodgies Smile
not grippy on take off, they willget spun up just like any other tyre, but theres a marked improvement in cornering

[Updated on: Tue, 28 December 2004 23:13]

timottaway
Regular

September 2004
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Wed, 29 December 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm setting my car up for drift, will be building some adj coils in the front koni adj with king pros (550pounds) and and some rated coil (prob 450 to 500 pound) and koni adj in the rear
running 16x7.5 front and 16x8 rear rims. i still need to work out the bump steer issues on the rear trailers.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Wed, 29 December 2004 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timottaway wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 12:36

i still need to work out the bump steer issues on the rear trailers.

Keh ?

What bump steer and how do you think it can be controlled ?

timottaway
Regular

September 2004
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Wed, 29 December 2004 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as the the trailing arm gets pushed up,camber and toe increases, this is bump steer. this is due to the arm rotating off an axis.

a6 rear suspension geo means when u lower your xa6x with irs (3+ inches) the camber and toe is too excessive. i'm trying to find a way to correct it. Norbie what are u doing to correct camber? does this include fixing the toe problem???
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Wed, 29 December 2004 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK. The camber can partially be fixed, but excessive lowering will still not fix it. The mod originally done by PP gets a camber correction of up to 2.5 degrees, but then you have to be careful with binding in the bushes, and the end result is still some neg camber.

As far as I know, there is no ability to correct toe, apart from the static setting (via the inner eccentric bolt), but this does not alter the rotational axis of the rear swingarm.

You are stuck with that I am afraid.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Thu, 30 December 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Wed, 22 December 2004 11:27

yeah, i can see how it'd work, but im still not that happy with it Confused

the upper mounting would also need som reo, but probably not as much. id want to weld in, say a shaped 4" sqaure plate on the underside of the body. you also abviouslt want to get the pivot axis correct.

I would have thought that the shock mount would be plenty strong enough.

Given that most of you guys are using 300lb springs at 2 inch of compression, thats 600lb plus the static weight of say 500lb gives 1100lb.

The dampers you are using would be around 1000lb/sec anyway. A decent bump would give you a heaps larger force on the shock mount than the spring could apply.

Just my 2c worth.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Thu, 30 December 2004 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting point there Gold28.

Needless to say, the idea of a rear coilover is nice, but an additional project that will go on the backburner for a while....
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 04 January 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

king lows spring rate:

Just got an email back from Kings.

MA61

Front Standard - 175
Front Low - 180
Rear Standard - 210
Rear Low - 205

MX73

Front Standard - 160
Front Low - 170
Rear Standard - 220
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 04 January 2005 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 11:29

Just got an email back from Kings.

MA61

Front Standard - 175
Front Low - 180
Rear Standard - 210
Rear Low - 205

Interesting that the rates are virtually the same (and given manufacturing tolerances), I'd say they are exactly the same ....
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 04 January 2005 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now the question is, why with the same shocks and springs (effectively) is the UZX73 like a boat whereas Glens JZA61 not?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 04 January 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 08:38

Now the question is, why with the same shocks and springs (effectively) is the UZX73 like a boat whereas Glens JZA61 not?

Thats a damn good question cubby.
Especially since I have a lighter motor.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Suspension.... Tue, 04 January 2005 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Effective ratio (wheel rate), sprung/unsprung weight differences, bushing condition, f/rear weight distribution, geometry of front and rear suspension, family/sports car, roll centre differences, overall weight, two/four doors, roll centre changes with suspension movement, CoG

Without being a smart ass, it can be a combination of thing or just one, but you would think it would be close, but my money is on things like the geometry and roll centre, as one was designed as a sports car, and the other a luxo barge.
Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3tgte questions
Next Topic:Trueno Nose Trade from Canada
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 17:31:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0097789764404297 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.