Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Bolt torque / Clutch question, urgent.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Bolt torque / Clutch question, urgent. Mon, 20 December 2004 10:00 Go to next message
So after taking out the gbox and sourcing a plate and toying with linning the clutch up.. I begin to tighten the bolts on the pressure plate in readyness to throw in the gbox.

What happens? I snap a bolt head.

this is 4ag 6/bolt pressure plate.

The question is, is it ok to leave it on there ? as im really really not up for taking it all out including flywheel then drilling out the bolt and trying to match the bolt and everything else all up again.

Logic would say no, but Im running a 3puk clutch that will probably be gone again within the year. So what does everyone think?

Send a private message to this user    
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Bolt torque / Clutch question, urgent. Mon, 20 December 2004 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's outa balance & will vibrate, putting even more load on those that remain.

i think some weak pressure plates are thick enough to not twist & be affected.
is yours?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Bolt torque / Clutch question, urgent. Mon, 20 December 2004 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would say no. Snapped bolt heads do nasty things to balance.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Bolt torque / Clutch question, urgent. Mon, 20 December 2004 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I say you will be called Mr Bodgy if you leave it. Do it properly something worse could happen cause of it.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Bolt torque / Clutch question, urgent. Tue, 21 December 2004 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I say you will be called Mr Bodgy if you leave it. Do it properly something worse could happen cause of it.

Something worse eg. pressure plate decides to come apart at 7000rpm and chop your feet off etc.

Do it properly, in my old job I removed shit loads of snapped bolts that people brought in and most i could bo without a drill or "Easy-out".

So long as the thread isn't rooted i would say that you could remove the pressure plate etc and just spin the remains of the bolt out slowly by turning and tapping it out (i.e. unscrewing it) with a small steel pick (a very small flat head screwdriver will suffice).

Not too hard to do and then you know it's safe and won't have catastrophic failure.

Edit: the bolts are not hard to get either, just take a good one down to your local metal centre/nut and bolt shop to match it and get a set of decent quality high tensile bolts, probably only cost baout $10 too.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 December 2004 00:21]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Bolt torque / Clutch question, urgent. Tue, 21 December 2004 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I've snapped one of these puppies before.

Tightening it up, 25ft-lbs, look at friend, '25 isnt enough, lets go for 30' - SNAP - 'shit, 25 was enough'

Easy-out was the rescuer, but it wasnt that tight so I could have just tapped it out like above.
But I had an easyout on hand, so I used it.
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Bolt torque / Clutch question, urgent. Tue, 21 December 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im so over it right now. You work your ass off in a tight confined space, do everything right, including right bolt torque and little things like this completely holt the mission.

Bolts shouldnt snap, its a fucken joke.
Mad Mad Mad

Whats this 'easy out' people have mentioned.

I already tried drilling it out, whilst under there, because the flywheel refuses to come off. Ive pried bars inbetween it and the ground and rather than the bolts move, its bent the bars.

So i guess I'll just never drive again. Laughing

[Updated on: Tue, 21 December 2004 01:34]

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Bolt torque / Clutch question, urgent. Tue, 21 December 2004 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SOunds like a good excuse to take off your flywheel and get it machined at the same time!

If you do this, make sure you go and get new f/w bolts too.

How did you line up the clutch plate so the input shaft will go in? Are you sure the clutch plate is on the right way? Did you get a new bearing release bearing and pilot bearing (goes in the middle of the flywheel.)?
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Bolt torque / Clutch question, urgent. Tue, 21 December 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just noticed your edit..... Have you got a rubber mallet?
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Bolt torque / Clutch question, urgent. Tue, 21 December 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremy im so past it, im thinking of ripping the flywheel out and getting a new one. Laughing Nah yeh I got a new release bearing.

How did I line up the clutch.. found a pole the same diametre as the flywheel bearing and put it there temporarily while i tightened the pressure plate on. It wasnt fun trying to keep it alinged.
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Bolt torque / Clutch question, urgent. Tue, 21 December 2004 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rubber mallet, I do, as I do have a number of other tools that my dad has lost somewhere in the garage..

If I find it though Ill be sure to kill myself with it.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Bolt torque / Clutch question, urgent. Tue, 21 December 2004 03:23 Go to previous message
bathurst-91 wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 12:40

If I find it though Ill be sure to kill myself with it.

hehehe

I'll see you tonight Drew.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:please help a newbie with temperatures\overheating
Next Topic:advice needed: Ga70 BLMVZ '88 GTEU
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 08:08:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056431293487549 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.