Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » please help a newbie with temperatures\overheating

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Darcangel
Occasional Poster

November 2003
icon5.gif  please help a newbie with temperatures\overheating Tue, 21 December 2004 04:55 Go to next message
Hi Guys,

Relatively new to the mechanical side of things, so please bare with me here Confused

I have an auto 87 MKIII Supra and lately she's been heating up on me.

I had the top tank in the radiator replaced about 2-3 months ago and it was cleaned out and when it did overheat recently I checked it and the radiator and overflow tank were fine, all topped up with water and coolant etc, no leaks and pressure seemed fine in the radiator, so I'm thinking it's not that.

From what I've read in the forums, it may have something to do with either the notorious head gasket on the 7M engines, the temperature sender or possibly the thermostat.

My limited experience with overheating has only been to do with the radiator and nothing so far has been anything like what happened last time it was playing up. Basically a lil while ago my temp guage decided to crank itself all the way up and flickered there for a sec and then returned to normal - when it did that it was a normal day (not hot) and under normal driving conditions. That hasn't happened for a while, but now everytime I drive, it starts off normal and then after a few mins of normal driving it goes way up in the red.

I dont want to get the mechanic out if it's something simple I can check/do myself - are there any simple ways to test the head, thermostat or temp sender before I call in the mechanic?

Sorry for long post, frustrating as all hell Mad

Thanks in advance for your time and responses!

Cheers, Darcangel
  Send a private message to this user    
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: please help a newbie with temperatures\overheating Tue, 21 December 2004 05:08 Go to previous message
Do what I did earlier today, take it to a good radiator place, tell them to check the head gasket - this sounds ominously like what mine is doing now, but it's a 3S-GTE instead. And yes, the problem is the head gasket. Rolling Eyes Although it seems to be driving fine.
  Send a private message to this user    
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what 80's models use vacuum-controlled water tap for the heater?
Next Topic:Bolt torque / Clutch question, urgent.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 27 16:07:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041790008544922 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.