Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 10:40 Go to next message
Ive just turned 20 today.
anyway I am a 3d car artist and I model all Supercars etc.
I used to find myself always picking up a copy of Zoom or HPI over ever thinking about picking up a Motor or the like.

Now ive been doing my new job for a few months, Im getting less and less intruiged with modified cars(well, reading about them etc) and more and more intruiged with supercars.
Every time I get my subscription to zoom delivered I find myself flicking through the mag but only reading them when im really bored or in the toilet...
They are just the same thing every time, modified skyline, supra etc etc..
I think im going to let my Zoom sub run out and sign up for Motor.

Like, I know almost everyone would take a supercar over their modified car, but still are more interested in the modified car scene.

Does anyone else ever get the same way?

Johal
  Send a private message to this user    
nash_tz
Regular

April 2003
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, V8 surpercars are purpose built racecars, of course they are faster and hence more desireable than a mass manufactured import. However for the average person an import is attainable and modifying is affordable, not so with V8 supercars.
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that just maybe johal was trying to get AS FAR away from V8 supercars... Aston martin, Ferrari, Porsche, TVR, etc.... Shocked
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes I was actually meaning real supercars not the highly overrated racing series Smile, sorry should have been more specific.

Things like the new Ford GT, Ferrari enzo, 360, 430, lambo murcileago etc etc.
Just a nice purpose build car, an exotic peice of machinery. Its definately got to do with my new job, as I basically look at super cars all day.
I would give my soul to own a new Ford gt.

But say I pick up a new zoom mag, and theres this s13 silvia with an rb26dett making 1000hp... It's cool, yeah... but I wouldnt go out of my way to read it, mightnt read it at all..

Its just the same thing over and over again.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I perefer RALPH/FHM as my dunny magazine mate Rolling Eyes
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is just a certain feel that supercars have over modified cars. The styling, the sound, rarity, prestige. No matter how much you do up a skyline, no matter how fast it goes, its still a common nissan.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its not only that though, like I would have always read about a modified supra over reading about the new lamborghini etc.. but now, its like i dont even care about another modified car most of the time
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

They are just the same thing every time, modified skyline, supra etc etc..

yeah, it's always the same stuff ay, gets way repetitive
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's all high power or show bullshit in mags. I like the little stories that I pick up off Toymods. Real people, doing real things on limited budgets. Not some rich kid doing what every bastard has done, or some tuning workshop with more money than I will ever see in one place.

I like modified cars 'cuz I can modify them. I can make them what I want. Who cares what someone with more money than I can afford to spend on cars does?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
w3rd
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HPI might aswell just be a Nissan catalogue, I mean I still read it and usually find it enjoyable, but 8 out of 10 cars featured will be a Nissan. I never see any Toyotas that arn't JZA80's or JZ30's (that's the right code for the Soarer right?) except on a vary rare occasion.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well.. say someone had 300k, id be a hell of a lot more impressed with them rocking up in a 360 modenna. than if they turned up in a 9 second, street legal GTR
I like modifying cars.. but im getting over reading about them
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

yes I was actually meaning real supercars not the highly overrated racing series , sorry should have been more specific.

I'm so glad there is someone else in this world with the same opinion Very Happy

The racing series should go back to the way it was in the 70's...with multiple manufacturers and makes.

All the v8s really have going for them is that they produce massive amounts of hp.

I'm guessing who ever runs/owns the v8 supercar series doesn't want these smaller more capable Japanese + european cars leaving the v8 P.O.S for dust around corners and all. Car racing where all cars are the same just shits me to tears Crying or Very Sad .

BTW GTP (if thats what its called) shits all over supercar racing everytime!
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not really addressing the issue here. but v8 spuer cars are fucking awesome. i really think its a cool formula. take one rear drive shopping trolley. make it stiff, add 600 hp. chuck in a spool and some stiff suspension. hot rods, thats all they are, but i like hot rods, plain and simple.

now, as far as supercars v jap cars. for starters, zoom, is probably the best mag out there for modified cars, but its written to a formula for sure. which means it can get pretty boring. you should try reading something like race car tech. its a happy medium between exotica, and engineering. and youll probably learn a thing or two.

oh, and try CAR magazine. i like it alot more than MOTOR personally.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does car do a lot of test drives of supercars etc?.
the thing i like aobut motor is their showndowns every year, like 'bang for your buck' etc etc.
id love to see comparo's on say a gallardo vs ferrari f430
the thng is, no matter how much u modify a jap car, a supercar is always going to be a nicer, more respected machine.. even if its out performedin every way

heres a nice shot that caught my eye last night while i was working
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/wallpaper/fordgt/red/MT1004-FordGT-1.jpg
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag, I really think you've just 'over done it' when it comes to reading up about modded cars.

Don't get me wrong, I love supercars, but I think you're going to get bored a lot quicker reading about them as they're very limited in numbers. And once you know everything about them, what else is there to know?

And where to next, classicly restored cars?

A mate and I have lived and breathed cars since we first bought them, and now 10 years later I've just watched him supposedly chuck it all in "I'm over cars". But then a few months later we're up at 5am working on my 3sgte-aw11 project and I can tell he still loves it.

Take some time off, you'll come back Smiley =
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JAG i can see where youre coming from here maye but live dave said, I think you need some time off from looking at cars for a while Smile

Which might be a bit hard considering your job Rolling Eyes

Youre lucky youre reading zoom, my brother goes nuts for all the other ones (speed, hot 4's, ricers monthly) and if I glance at them i feel dirty as the cars and writing is just horrible Confused

Personally I love the supercars, but modifying a Jap car is a totally different thing, its something you do, I would like to own a ferrari one day and when I do I wont modify it, ill just enjoy it for what it is, my soarer however is a different story, that i will modify and continue to work on untill it kills me Very Happy
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 09:34

Jag, I really think you've just 'over done it' when it comes to reading up about modded cars.

Don't get me wrong, I love supercars, but I think you're going to get bored a lot quicker reading about them as they're very limited in numbers. And once you know everything about them, what else is there to know?

And where to next, classicly restored cars?

A mate and I have lived and breathed cars since we first bought them, and now 10 years later I've just watched him supposedly chuck it all in "I'm over cars". But then a few months later we're up at 5am working on my 3sgte-aw11 project and I can tell he still loves it.

Take some time off, you'll come back Smiley =

I havent really over done it though.
ive been fully into cars for about 4 yrs now, maybe 5. i get my 1 mag a month.. but i generally dont even read most of the stories cause i beleive they will bore me.

Ill continue to modify my soarer, I love it.. theres no doubt there..
i still remember the days when seeing a supra on the road will excite me
Also, if i played a video game, when i had gran turismo 2.. id take a fully modified jap car over the supercars.. but now id much rather race supercars(like the old NFS series) rather than the undergrounds
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can see your point but.......

Have you ever had the experience of pulling upto one of these cars at the lights, having a run with them and winning?!

How good is it to look at them and think "you paid how much for that and i whipped your ass!!"

It's the ultimate of being OWNED! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Mon, 20 December 2004 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 10:33

Have you ever had the experience of pulling upto one of these cars at the lights, having a run with them and winning?!

How good is it to look at them and think "you paid how much for that and i whipped your ass!!"

then go to a track and no matter what you do, how much power you have.. you will have more fun and go faster in the supercar
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a 3sgte going in and a sweet brake and suspension setup that will prove both the fun and faster points wrong Smiley =.

Got to love a mid engined toyota, all the fun without the pricetag
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*shrugs* Very Happy
http://www.digitalgaming.net/images/chiang/JGTC2004/trd_jgtc_supra_1.jpg
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 11:13

I've got a 3sgte going in and a sweet brake and suspension setup that will prove both the fun and faster points wrong Smiley =.

Got to love a mid engined toyota, all the fun without the pricetag

i honestly doubt you could beat the most mundane supercars around a track.
also most supercars will do a 1/4 mile from mid 12's to flat 11's
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LiL_MiC wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 11:19

*shrugs* Very Happy
http://www.digitalgaming.net/images/chiang/JGTC2004/trd_jgtc_supra_1.jpg

we are talking street driven Smile
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not trying to get in an arguement, but I think I'd give your 2005 ford gt a bit of a run for its money Smiley =

It's 12.2 quarter is a bit over .5 sec quicker than what I should be posting but it's about 1200 lbs heavier than the aw11 so i'd say good luck to cathing me on the track Smiley =

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 11:32

Not trying to get in an arguement, but I think I'd give your 2005 ford gt a bit of a run for its money Smiley =

It's 12.2 quarter is a bit over .5 sec quicker than what I should be posting but it's about 1200 lbs heavier than the aw11 so i'd say good luck to cathing me on the track Smiley =

supercars arent meant for a straight line drag though, the ford gt is faster than a ferrari 360 modenna around a track..
it has a CRAP load of power and even more craploads of torque.. amazing levels of grip and handling. thats what they are made for.
like, im not saying your car is bad. it would be really fast around a track id assume, but i dont think it would be able to even come close to purpose build street-race cars

[Updated on: Tue, 21 December 2004 00:46]

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Not trying to get in an arguement, but I think I'd give your 2005 ford gt a bit of a run for its money

It's 12.2 quarter is a bit over .5 sec quicker than what I should be posting but it's about 1200 lbs heavier than the aw11 so i'd say good luck to cathing me on the track

I know I could give it a nudge too down the quarter (prolly beat it now Very Happy ), especially if you put a regular Joe Retard driver in the GT (someone equivalent to me, not a pro driver Very Happy). Lets just say I have seen exotica get spanked by lesser machines Evil or Very Mad

If you want to see some Supercar exotica and see them perform in a variety of situations check out the Dutton Rally held across Sydney/Goulburn/Canberra over 4 days. Last time there was lots of Porsches, a Lamborghini Gallardo (spelling??), Ferraris, Skylines, BMW's, etc etc, it was a wide cross section of cars. The overall winner of the event and the car that set the fastest times in most stages (eg Wakefield etc.) A Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 8 Shocked

A very cool event to watch.

.....and yes, I do take satisfaction in beating cars that are worth significantly more than mine, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside and I mean on the track as well as straightline too Very Happy . Lapping quicker than GTR's is nice Evil or Very Mad **

**I know that the driver has a lot to do with how a car performs, but I am sure mine would go quicker too if someone good got behind the wheel Very Happy

Oh and my choice of supercar, just some nice GT2 Porsche with the Gambala (spelling??) treatment would do Very Happy
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 10:40

fatmr2 wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 10:33

then go to a track and no matter what you do, how much power you have.. you will have more fun and go faster in the supercar

Yeah, cause someone is just going to come up to me at the track and hand over the keys to their gt3 porsche and say "enjoy"
Laughing

Oh, and i dont beleive your last statement is correct. You nor anyone else on this forum for that matter would really be able to appreciate a supercar to its fullest potential as you wouldnt be able to handle it. And thats just the honest truth.
I dare say most people here wouldnt be able to handle their own cars to there full potential let alone a supercar.

Dont get me wrong, i'd love to hammer someone elses car around a track but the chances of that happening are very slim.

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

You nor anyone else on this forum for that matter would really be able to appreciate a supercar to its fullest potential as you wouldnt be able to handle it. And thats just the honest truth.
I dare say most people here wouldnt be able to handle their own cars to there full potential let alone a supercar.

Werd!

But everyone likes to think they are the sickest mofo driver this side of F1 Laughing

I am sure a few people on here have some talent behind the wheel though, only a few though.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Read EVO it's the best "new car" mag going around in my opinion. They take the exotics out and thrash them as well as a few more mundane cars and some modifieds but the aim is always to find the cars that are the most fun to drive.
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 11:45

Read EVO it's the best "new car" mag going around in my opinion. They take the exotics out and thrash them as well as a few more mundane cars and some modifieds but the aim is always to find the cars that are the most fun to drive.

I'd second that. also try SPEED magazine its a bit more tuner focused with drifting but also has euro and new cars. they even despise commodores- yay Smile
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, ive also got a few speed magazines.. havent seen evo, will check it out.. which one do u guys rate the most?
seriously though, i doubt a single car on this forum could keep up with a ford gt, ferrari enzo, saleen s7.. infact.. i doubt any car on this forum would be able to stay within 15 seconds of a supercar around a decent lap(say 2.5 minute track)
how do you think you would go arounda track against an evo 8?
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gordan murray is an associate editor? i dont know what his title is, but hes involved with CAR.

similar to evo, but i thought it was better, maybe theyve slipped. they used to get the scoop on evo alot though, especially the new tvr, which are a favourite of mine, like i mentioned in my first post though, i do like hot rods.

getting the scoop on tvrs probably doesnt count for much anymore anyway...
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 13:38

i doubt any car on this forum would be able to stay within 15 seconds of a supercar around a decent lap

careful there, best to have a chat with, Glenn (ra45gtcelica), Bill Sherwood, Dave (gianttomato) and Steve Reynolds to see what they have to say before you engage into "shooting mouth off mode"
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Who wouldn't take a $1000000ish supercar over a modded japanese car? No one is what I think. Everyone likes them and would take one in an instant but realistically, most people on here are young and don't have millions of dollars to spend on cars. So instead we do up cars that we can afford and in many cases equal the performance or these supercars.

Also, I know of a ta22 celica with a 3t-gte with basic suspension mods that laps quicker than a BMW M5 around QLD raceway which is obviously a track suited to more powerful cars. In the end, put me in a Ferrari Enzo and Michael schumacher in a Ford XR6T or something and I am sure that I would lose!

BTW Drag racing owns all! The true test of power! Evil or Very Mad
Very Happy
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 14:07

Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 13:38

i doubt any car on this forum would be able to stay within 15 seconds of a supercar around a decent lap

careful there, best to have a chat with, Glenn (ra45gtcelica), Bill Sherwood, Dave (gianttomato) and Steve Reynolds to see what they have to say before you engage into "shooting mouth off mode"

im not shooting my mouth off, i just cant see in my head how something designed to be fast on a track can be beaten by budget cars.
Im sure there are some that could, but i dunno

as for ta22 and m5, thats interesting
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I find that Zoom actually try to not to be the same as other mags, but i think they are running out of cars that are "different" to feature.
Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[/quote]Oh, and i dont beleive your last statement is correct. You nor anyone else on this forum for that matter would really be able to appreciate a supercar to its fullest potential as you wouldnt be able to handle it. And thats just the honest truth.
I dare say most people here wouldnt be able to handle their own cars to there full potential let alone a supercar.[/quote]

I don't believe this statement is much better. Supercars today are designed so anyone can drive them and drive them fast. The on board computers are getting more and more advanced to keep you safe. Things like it will know how much lock you have on when you floor it and will not give all the power at once if it thinks it will be dangerous. Don't get me wrong, it would be a different experience, but it still has a brake, accelerator and steering wheel.

The supercars from a few years back, I'd say were a handful. take the Ferrari F40, No traction control, carpet, radio, A\C, not even power steering. BUT it did pull 0-60mph in 3.2 seconds running a 3L TTV8! Mac F1 is the same, very fast, very powerful, verymuch a handful.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=Sigmeister wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 15:03
I don't believe this statement is much better. Supercars today are designed so anyone can drive them and drive them fast. The on board computers are getting more and more advanced to keep you safe. Things like it will know how much lock you have on when you floor it and will not give all the power at once if it thinks it will be dangerous. Don't get me wrong, it would be a different experience, but it still has a brake, accelerator and steering wheel.[/quote]

You could be given a car with all the bells and whistles yet at the end of the day it comes down to ability.
Do you think your ability would increase just because you get out of your car and into one of these?

Having said that it would be mad to go for a spin in one Very Happy

olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me i would rather drive a car that ive modified rather than some stocker. No matter how fast it is!

When u by a supercar u may own it, but it will never be trully yours.
When u get a car and work on to make it handle, go and stop better than a super car and for the fraction of a the cost u can trully say the car is yours cos u built it.

Also who wants to drive a stocker Very Happy seriously are u growing old or something Laughing Laughing Laughing

The exception to this are the F1 and the Enzo.

If I had 300 grand i'd prob buy a supra or NSX and work the living crap out of it so it goes, handles and stops better than a supercar. Plus id still have enough money to pay for the insurance for the next ten years.

Also half the fun is working on ur car, swearing at ur car, laying down underneath it in the freezing rain changing a gear box, loosing blood and gaining scars from ur car.
its not just all about the driving its the sense of acomplishment and ownership that u get from working on a car,
your car.

Thats just me tho.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the f40 is an awesome car.. as you said it had nothing in the way of driver aids, thats why many people say its the best super car of all time. I would LOVE to drive/own one.

who said u cant stick a turbo on a supercar? hehe
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 16:07

the f40 is an awesome car.. as you said it had nothing in the way of driver aids, thats why many people say its the best super car of all time. I would LOVE to drive/own one.

who said u cant stick a turbo on a supercar? hehe

yeah imagine the sort of research and time spent fucking about to find out how u would put a turbo onto a car like a Ferrari with some huge compression ratio like 15:1 ( exaggerated Very Happy )

hmmmmmmm

actually ud probably spend the same amount of time fucking about on supercar as most of us do on normal cars Laughing Laughing Laughing
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
olihaub wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 15:57

me i would rather drive a car that ive modified rather than some stocker. No matter how fast it is!

When u by a supercar u may own it, but it will never be trully yours.
When u get a car and work on to make it handle, go and stop better than a super car and for the fraction of a the cost u can trully say the car is yours cos u built it.

Also who wants to drive a stocker Very Happy seriously are u growing old or something Laughing Laughing Laughing

The exception to this are the F1 and the Enzo.

If I had 300 grand i'd prob buy a supra or NSX and work the living crap out of it so it goes, handles and stops better than a supercar. Plus id still have enough money to pay for the insurance for the next ten years.

Also half the fun is working on ur car, swearing at ur car, laying down underneath it in the freezing rain changing a gear box, loosing blood and gaining scars from ur car.
its not just all about the driving its the sense of acomplishment and ownership that u get from working on a car,
your car.

Thats just me tho.

I agree!
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't really bother putting supercars up against the same sort of criteria or standards as modded mass-produced cars. Perhaps ground-up, completely handbuilt hotrods and showcars could be compared to supercars on grounds of workmanship, concept, and beauty of bodywork/design - but how many of these actually get driven? how many CAN be driven? Will they hit 200mph? would they be driveable at 200mph ?

On the performance side of the coin, how many quick riced-up or boy-racer cars stop people in their tracks when they drive past, a'la Ferrari F40 or Lamborghini Diablo? Most of the current crop of "hypercars" also pack the driver in wall-to-wall leather, machined & polished alloy fittings, flawless carbonfibre trim, etc. etc. That's on top of being mega-quick, and useable at 150+mph.

I know 99% of people can't afford to even HIRE a supercar, but as something to read about, they hold much more interest (for me) than seeing which brand of Turbo, and which bodykit this month's batch of 5 or 6 guys have put on their Nissan/Honda. We're talking the complete package with supercars, concieved and executed from scratch, often to realise one man's dream of what a car really should be.

That said, I had a squizz at Speed in the servo this morning: RWD Turbo'd V8 ST185 Celica ! ! ! ! ! ! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 19:00

I don't really bother putting supercars up against the same sort of criteria or standards as modded mass-produced cars. Perhaps ground-up, completely handbuilt hotrods and showcars could be compared to supercars on grounds of workmanship, concept, and beauty of bodywork/design - but how many of these actually get driven? how many CAN be driven? Will they hit 200mph? would they be driveable at 200mph ?

On the performance side of the coin, how many quick riced-up or boy-racer cars stop people in their tracks when they drive past, a'la Ferrari F40 or Lamborghini Diablo? Most of the current crop of "hypercars" also pack the driver in wall-to-wall leather, machined & polished alloy fittings, flawless carbonfibre trim, etc. etc. That's on top of being mega-quick, and useable at 150+mph.

I know 99% of people can't afford to even HIRE a supercar, but as something to read about, they hold much more interest (for me) than seeing which brand of Turbo, and which bodykit this month's batch of 5 or 6 guys have put on their Nissan/Honda. We're talking the complete package with supercars, concieved and executed from scratch, often to realise one man's dream of what a car really should be.

That said, I had a squizz at Speed in the servo this morning: RWD Turbo'd V8 ST185 Celica ! ! ! ! ! ! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

someone who understands where im coming from..
and that celica is on this forums.. justengt4 or something i beleive.. nicest car
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johal: would you not like to beat something like a F360 in a race?

BTW the magazines seem to be targeting younger audiences with less tech info in them. That is what gets boring IMO. The same bits used over and over with no mention of any technical problems that you may run into.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 20:08

Johal: would you not like to beat something like a F360 in a race?

Who wouldn't! ! I don't think too many of the cars you see in Aussie tuner magazines could though. Of those that could, most would only compete in a straight line, or for a few corners before the brakes fade, or the engine loses 50hp from heat soak, or whatever. Of the genuinely quick cars, how many would SOUND like a 360 Modena? How many would display the delicately fine-tuned handling balance? How many LOOK as stunning as the 360 Modena?

Of course, that wouldn't stop me from buying or building a modified car to go mega-quick. I just don't feel the need to read about every single car that's lowered, got a set of mags, a bodykit and some hardware mods. Nothing against anyone and their pride & joy, far from it - more power to 'em! I'd just prefer to spend $7 a month reading about supercars, 3-way comparisons btwn a new WRX, Integra, & Megane Turbo, Bang-For-Your-Bucks etc. etc.. . Which reminds me - got's ta renew my subscription to Motor.

Hey Jag7799 - Pick up EVO magazine at some newsagents - hard to find sometimes but WELL worth it. It's a british version of Motor - but super-hardcore. They get 2-4 testdrives each month in baby-supercars (Aston Martin Vanquish/DB9, Ferrari Maranello's, Gallardo's etc. etc.) and at least one drive in a full-blown Supercar - Like the Koenigsegg CCR on the cover this month. and the McMerc SLR. And the Merc/AMG CLK DTM. -you get the idea anyway.

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was mainly referring to just street driving as I don't think it would be very often that you would see a ferrari at a race track except for in things like Nations Cup. I know it's bad, but Johal has said his car is a street thrasher anyway Razz

Also, my two favourite engines sounds are big single turbo supras and f360 modenas. I just remember, John Bowe driving at QR last year for Nations Cup chasing down Paul Stokell in the Diablo coming down the straight listening to those two was heaven! Of course there is about $2million worth of cars for those two though!!! Shocked

I don't know about Motor hey. It just doesn't seem to interest me as I look at the base model of a car as something to be upgraded so stock tests don't really mean much to me. my 2c Smile
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One thing that annoys me about a lot of these "tuner" mags is you will read the story on Joe Bloggs sweet ride and it pretty much goes like this.

I took it down to Mitch's Paint and Panel for a full respray, then I took it over to Joe Performance Imports for XYZ engine work. I then took it over the Jimmys Tyre and Suspension for a complete "Enter Brand Name" package, Carls Custom Cloth for a leather interior, and Hardcore Audio for a complete Alpine setup.

It may be one sweet ride, but what did you actually do to arrive at this point. Aside from driving the car from place to place, absolutely nothing.

Where is the fun in getting someone to do all the work for you? I'd rather read about backyard Tim working on a budget turbo project for his Celica than some rich kid and his R33.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 22:15

I was mainly referring to just street driving as I don't think it would be very often that you would see a ferrari at a race track except for in things like Nations Cup. I know it's bad, but Johal has said his car is a street thrasher anyway Razz

Also, my two favourite engines sounds are big single turbo supras and f360 modenas. I just remember, John Bowe driving at QR last year for Nations Cup chasing down Paul Stokell in the Diablo coming down the straight listening to those two was heaven! Of course there is about $2million worth of cars for those two though!!! Shocked

I don't know about Motor hey. It just doesn't seem to interest me as I look at the base model of a car as something to be upgraded so stock tests don't really mean much to me. my 2c Smile

ehhe.. oim sorta trashed atm.. just got back from ,y baday celebtraions. .. actuallyt i think i reply h e morning.. lo
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Wed, 22 December 2004 02:35

ehhe.. oim sorta trashed atm.. just got back from ,y baday celebtraions. .. actuallyt i think i reply h e morning.. lo

hehe Laughing
happy birthday for yesterday as well!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha thanks
god i was trashed when i got home thismorning.. and just to rub salt in the wound.. my mate rings me at 7 and asked me to come and help him, he ran out of fuel ages from a servo..
im dieing.
speaking of supercars.. have you guys ever seen the farboud GTS, probably now
Twin turbo v6
580bhp@ 5000 rpm
550nm of torque
0-100 in 3.3 seconds
http://www.fast-autos.net/farboud/gts.jpg
http://www.fast-autos.net/farboud/gts2.jpg
http://www.fast-autos.net/farboud/gts3.jpg
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just wait for the aussie joss supercar, 6.8 pushrod v8 in a 900kg shell yay
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Tue, 21 December 2004 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 22 December 2004 09:55

just wait for the aussie joss supercar, 6.8 pushrod v8 in a 900kg shell yay

i know all about this.. its one of the cars we have to make
so ill get like 300 ref photo's
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Wed, 22 December 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Happy Birthday fella!

How come you do 3D modelling of Supecars b.t.w?

too much spare time? Surprised

Very Happy
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Wed, 22 December 2004 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Wed, 22 December 2004 18:13

Happy Birthday fella!

How come you do 3D modelling of Supecars b.t.w?

too much spare time? Surprised

Very Happy

cause i get paid a SHIT LOAD to do it? lol
I paid for my soarer on 350 dollars a week from sizzler(doing like 40 hrs of hell).. now i earn 6 times that for half as much effort. its a lot of work, but its all thinking and visualisation.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Wed, 22 December 2004 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, but what are the models used for?

PM me or somethin if it's commercially sensitive or something.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Wed, 22 December 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its for one of the biggest racing games every developed
its my job..
i cant say what game as I have signed an NDA
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Wed, 22 December 2004 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 12:38

yep, ive also got a few speed magazines.. havent seen evo, will check it out.. which one do u guys rate the most?

Speed has some funny journalists and is set out well (better to read). i get evo to read about fantastic cars i will never own. they both have their purposes.

Major clod wrote

Where is the fun in getting someone to do all the work for you? I'd rather read about backyard Tim working on a budget turbo project for his Celica than some rich kid and his R33.

Kind of like the backyard job GT-four in the last speed magazine?: v8 twin turbo RWD Shocked

Jag7799 wrote

haha thanks
god i was trashed when i got home thismorning.. and just to rub salt in the wound.. my mate rings me at 7 and asked me to come and help him, he ran out of fuel ages from a servo..
im dieing.
speaking of supercars.. have you guys ever seen the farboud GTS, probably now
Twin turbo v6
580bhp@ 5000 rpm
550nm of torque
0-100 in 3.3 seconds

that beast was in the august EVO; absolutely insane
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: liking Supercars over Jap cars Thu, 23 December 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Jag7799 wrote on Wed, 22 December 2004 21:16

its for one of the biggest racing games every developed
its my job..
i cant say what game as I have signed an NDA

N

I

C

E

Aussie developed I assume? I'm bustin to ask you a shedload of questions about it, but there's that NDA thing and all.. . . Crying or Very Sad

If you're short of play testers for ANY platform, just say the word Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 23 December 2004 01:12]

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What to look for when buying a Soarer twin turbo
Next Topic:Toyota Camry factory specifications?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:44:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0089318752288818 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.