Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 20v or a 1jz single turbo?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Supra8u
Occasional Poster

December 2004
20v or a 1jz single turbo? Sun, 12 December 2004 18:56 Go to next message
hey im just wondering what type of engine swap would be better to put in a ae86 the 20v or a late mdl supra engine the 1jz

thanks. -aleks
  Send a private message to this user    
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Sun, 12 December 2004 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you plan on handling?
if so, go the 20v.
A 1j would be way too heavy in the front end and reduce the reason why people buy the car in the 1st place...
alternative to a 1j, the 1g should weigh a little less if you still want that turbo performance.
what about a 4agze?
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Mon, 13 December 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1J single turbo
The Count
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Mon, 13 December 2004 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1J single turbo
i got one in my soarer ..the car weighs 1600kgs and its still a jet
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Mon, 13 December 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apples...

no wait oranges Razz

I agree with Jag.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Mon, 13 December 2004 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cornering (and stopping) is over-rated. You need all out power to beat someone off the lights.

1J all the way.
Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Mon, 13 December 2004 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahahah who needs to turn when ur car goes WWWHHHHAAAAAA TTSSSHH Razz

nah strap in a 4agze rip of that supercharger and bolt on a monster turbo, HUGE front mount aswell Wink
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Mon, 13 December 2004 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nolan wrote on Mon, 13 December 2004 20:20

ahahah who needs to turn when ur car goes WWWHHHHAAAAAA TTSSSHH Razz

nah strap in a 4agze rip of that supercharger and bolt on a monster turbo, HUGE front mount aswell Wink

yup
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Mon, 13 December 2004 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nolan wrote on Mon, 13 December 2004 20:20

1J single turbo would still beat it.
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Mon, 13 December 2004 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3SGTE Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy or the 4AGTE.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Tue, 14 December 2004 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeezus talk about chalk and cheese.
you could put 3 20v's in for the price of the 1j
that said, do a vvti single turbo 1j Very Happy
cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Tue, 14 December 2004 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey sorry if this is bad to post another sites web adress but go to club4ag.com there is quite a bit of info on there about this kind of thing. try searching first to avoid unnescessary flaming. from what ive read you would be better going with a 20V if u want a much more straight forwqard swap. a 20v can use same or similar engine mounts etc because it still has the 4A block. the 1j is a inline 6 so there could be length and clearance issues that would need to addressed. also you do need handleing because what if uve just done that drag off the lights and then a corner cums up. gotta turn
cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Tue, 14 December 2004 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or try "How to install a 20v in RWD trim properly.pdf" in the tech section
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Tue, 14 December 2004 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go the 1J single turbo!

Quote:

also you do need handleing because what if uve just done that drag off the lights and then a corner cums up. gotta turn

If this is a problem you need glasses!

[Updated on: Tue, 14 December 2004 01:41]

nudes
Regular

October 2004
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Tue, 14 December 2004 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a complete 20v for sale at $600.. its a little expensive but well worth it.

Cheers (mobile number is in my sig)
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Tue, 14 December 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is the most retarded question I've heard in a while. It's a bit like comparing a lawnmower engine to a Cummins diesel... could they be any more different??
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Tue, 14 December 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex is somewhat dumbfounded as to the reasons why people automatically decide to bin the 4AGZE's supercahrger. It's as if it is a bad thing. Do they feel that the S/C is ghey wif teh aids or it the bling factor of having a turbocharger?

He knows that people will argue power and efficiency as if it is pre-programmed into them. But he advises them not to simply follow the crowd. To a point there is nothing wrong with the S/C, it offers a seam of torque few other small capacity engines can.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Wed, 15 December 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So rex what you are trying to say is that you would rather a 4AGZE than a 4AGTE?

the simple fact that more power is attainable with the turbo means nothing too you?
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Wed, 15 December 2004 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE
Rex_Kelway wrote on Tue, 14 December 2004 23:09

He knows that people will argue power and efficiency as if it is pre-programmed into them.

Why do people HAVE to throw the S/C away and turbo the engine? It's good to begin with....
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Wed, 15 December 2004 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want rex's opinion on the matter...

I dont plan to own either I would just like to know why he thinks the SC is better for the 4A.

personally the only advantage i can see, is the more linear power curve? are there more?

enlighten me, i yearn to learn Smile
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Wed, 15 December 2004 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh BTW go teh 1JZ single turbo, who needs to turn when you have 450hp Wink
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Wed, 15 December 2004 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I remember correctly rex was building a 4agte of his own.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Wed, 15 December 2004 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it all comes down to the individual.. theres nothing wrong with a 4agze'd car though
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Thu, 16 December 2004 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe for a power mod you could use a 1g s/c ???
there is a massive chance it won't work but it was just an idea i had floating about
7mgtema71
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Thu, 16 December 2004 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends on what driving style you're after. If you like high revving, hills thrashing, traffic maneuvering and plenty of side ways potential, then a turbo'd 4A would be a great example. If you want an in-line sideways launcher with plenty of torque, and yet with plenty of revving capabilities, then the 1JZ is a great option too.

IMO i believe two thinks are important here; 1. What driving style would you lean towards and 2. What's your budget? You say now i want huge HP in a small car, but when you go sideways everytime you push that pedal, it can be frustrating.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Thu, 16 December 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha strap on a huge turbo.. wat would be the point of that take all day for the 1.6 to spool it up lol
Supra8u
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Fri, 17 December 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about the 1ggte into a sprinter will that be of better handling than a 1jz dose anyone know a site where with spec of engine weight
thanks
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Fri, 17 December 2004 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you search here or on google I am sure you will find the weights. I think the 1j is a little heavier than 1g. They are very similar materials used but 1j is a bit longer. Not sure about height though. I wouldn't think either would give a very good weigh distribution in an ae86.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Fri, 17 December 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would go 4agte before 1ggte

Also as other others have said...20v vs 1j, totally different engines and in an ae86 would serve totally different purposes.

20v is more of an ae86 purists motor. Dont have to worry about gbox or diff's, N/A Roar, easier to make the car handle well with better weight dist.

1j lots of power on tap at a cost, puts more weight up the front. Needs a beefy diff, power, torque, lots of custom fabrication, need to play with suspension more for it to handle well.
73ke25
Regular

October 2003
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Tue, 21 December 2004 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3sgte , better power then 4a lighter then 1g . fairly cheap too.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Tue, 21 December 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
73ke25 wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 18:43

3sgte , better power then 4a lighter then 1g . fairly cheap too.

spoken like a guy who knows everything.
anyone thinking of using a 3s-gte in a rwd application, speak to shane (cool1) about the costs and hassles involved.
this is a GREAT option in terms of reliability and potential and weight distribution, but it is not cheap at all.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Wed, 22 December 2004 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ca18det!
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Wed, 22 December 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1GZ-FE TTTT ofcourse.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 20v or a 1jz single turbo? Wed, 22 December 2004 23:18 Go to previous message
peeack wrote on Wed, 22 December 2004 19:14

1GZ-FE TTTT ofcourse.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Wiring thermal fans in an AE86???
Next Topic:7MGTE Warming up
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:57:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076451301574707 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.