Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 2JZ-GE conversion- info pls anyone!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
capableronTRD
Regular

July 2004
2JZ-GE conversion- info pls anyone!! Wed, 22 December 2004 11:09 Go to next message
Hi all,

I've been weighing up my options of fixing my 7M-GE on my 91 MX83 cressida but another possibility is converting to a 2JZ-GE (thats the jzx80 N/A supra motor, plus was found in some soarers/sc300's) for a gain in power (168kw vs 147 for the 7M, better fuel economy plus of course eliminate the head gasket problem (which is why i'm looking at converting in the first place- car overheats!)

From my initial research i would be doing the following:

2JZ-GE supra front cut including intact loom, ecu, automatic transmission, and all ancilaries intact (raidator, a/c compressor, pwr steer pump etc.)

1jz sump (required as both the supra and soarer are mid sump, but a 1jz from a chaser etc.. is front sump)

JZX80 engine mounts from toyota japan (1jz mounts ive been told should fit the 2jz aswell)

I'm fairly sure that physically fitting this engine in my car will cause no dramas (seems to be a bolt up job essentially). But wiring is a different issue, i see that the 2jzge still uses a conventional distributor and coil ignition, but would anyone be able to help me with what sort of work would be involved in rewiring a auto 7M-GE loom to suit the 2JZ-GE and automatic transmission. What about getting things like the speedo, cruise control and a/c to work?

I know this conversion has been vaguely looked at in the past and from all indications seems relativley straightfoward, but has anyone actually ever done it before?? Is the motor worth the hassle of conversion? Im thinking a budget of approx $3000 if i do most of the labour myself, although i've never done an engine conversion before - would this be a good starters project??

Any input would be appreciated (especially from 2jzge conversion veterans Smile )

Cheers.

Send a private message to this user    
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 2JZ-GE conversion- info pls anyone!! Wed, 22 December 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't need a halfcut for this conversion, get an engine package with uncut loom, ecu, ignitor etc.

Make sure engine has all accessories. Should pick it up for a fair bit cheaper.

Yes you will need a front sump.

Just use the 2JZ loom and splice into the exisitng car loom where required. There isnt alot of wiring to be done.

Speedo will work off the mechanical cable drive and wont be affected.

Cruise control can still be sorted out, i didn't do it as i removed my cruise control from my car.

A/c will also need new fittings for new compressor, i havent got around to that yet.

Have a read of my conversion:

www.norbie.net/ifli4u/
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZ-GE conversion- info pls anyone!! Wed, 22 December 2004 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do it. This will be a beautiful conversion. It has been described a little on the US Cressida forums.
7mgtema71
Regular

May 2002
Re: 2JZ-GE conversion- info pls anyone!! Wed, 22 December 2004 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your keen on a N/A motor, have you considered a 1uzfe? I was told that importers should be able to bring them in for about $1500 complete. If my 7m goes, i won't be hesitating, but then again the 2j is still a very good option.
(The 1uzfe is lighter than the 7m too).
capableronTRD
Regular

July 2004
Re: 2JZ-GE conversion- info pls anyone!! Thu, 23 December 2004 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, but the v8 is going to require alot more custom work. The reason i'm thinking the 2jzge is that it seems quite straightfoward- even uses conventional dizzy + coil, similar sensors etc.. so the thinking is that it should be a bolt in job (with the addition of the jzx80 engine mounts and front sump) and the wiring should be simple to adapt.

Plus it should be piss easy to get engineered and maybe even still insure - going from N/A 3L inline 6 to N/A 3L inline 6...
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZ-GE conversion- info pls anyone!! Thu, 23 December 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exactly.
Rolin have (?had) a Soarer 2JZGE halfcut for 3K. Should be flexible though - can't imagine too many people wanting one. Then you just need a front sump.
capableronTRD
Regular

July 2004
Re: 2JZ-GE conversion- info pls anyone!! Thu, 23 December 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, rang rolin this morning actually.

$2500 for that soarer f/cut. Couldn't tell me how many kms because of the digital dash but he said probably around 100,000km.., plus another $350 to ship to townsville.

How much custom work was involved to fit the 2jz to the MX23? (apart from obvious EFI stuff). Got any pics?

[Updated on: Thu, 23 December 2004 02:15]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZ-GE conversion- info pls anyone!! Thu, 23 December 2004 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Always happy to post pics of the Corona. Very Happy
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/JZX23/R%20backside.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/JZX23/engine%20intake%20side.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Sprints/Coronawheelliftsml.jpg

In all seriousness, there wasn't that much extra work required to actually fit the motor. Obviously there is a pile of other stuff done that doesn't apply to you.

I needed to make mounts (engine and gearbox) and custom extractors (which I was getting anyway) because the standard manifold wouldn't clear the steering box (not an issue for you). I am running a MoTeC so that greatly facilitated wiring although Glen will testify that the wiring isn't that hard (especially when you have 2 dodgy sleep deprived guys from Melbourne doing bits of it for you Laughing )
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ-GE conversion- info pls anyone!! Thu, 23 December 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
teh spine bore maeks j00 cornerz bettah than teh R34
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 2JZ-GE conversion- info pls anyone!! Thu, 23 December 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You know what my thoughts on the conversion are.
I don't think I need to chime in here.
capableronTRD
Regular

July 2004
Re: 2JZ-GE conversion- info pls anyone!! Thu, 23 December 2004 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice gianttomato, kinda looks like an RX-3, but better IMO.i've never even seen one of those old coronas getting about before..Dig the inside wheel lift action on that 3rd pic Smile

Yep, CrUZsida, i've a fair idea about your opinion Very Happy , was just posting here aswell cos not everyone goes to the cressida forums, sadly..

I wouldn't be doing anything extreme with it- retain standard auto, swap over my current cat back exhaust, maybe some cold air induction, certainly nothing to put your corona to shame with Laughing

But even tho all indications are its probably one of the easiest engine conversions around, its still a big step for someone who hasn't so much as taken a head off a motor before, (although if i dont go with this conversion, that will have to change since if you haven't guessed already 7M, overheating= head gasket (or cracked head...), and i dont have any mates that have done this sort of thing either

I would consider myself handy with a spanner, i've got all the equipment (except a hoist and decent torque wrench (mines a $30 cheapie), plus i've soldered plenty of stuff before - mainly car audio (although most memorable was building 2 led tachometer kits), but seems to be a far cry from someone who would know what they are doing Smile ,

Would it be possible to do this swap over say 2 weeks if i worked on it whenever possible (like there shouldn't be any MAJOR dramas with wiring so long as i nut out the MX83 diagrams and track down a 2JZGE one beforehand, right??)

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZ-GE conversion- info pls anyone!! Thu, 23 December 2004 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You would want to be very planned to do it in 2 weeks.

2JZGE wiring diagrams
7mgtema71
Regular

May 2002
Re: 2JZ-GE conversion- info pls anyone!! Thu, 23 December 2004 23:12 Go to previous message
I love what you did with the 2JZGE. What throttle bodies are they and what size? i'll assume you're running a MAP sensor, does the motec use the MAP as the main sensor? I mean you can tune your ecu to use either TPS or MAP/AFM for the load points.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Engine moumts-reco service-save$
Next Topic:Gaskets and clutches
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 15:39:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056281089782715 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.