Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Sat, 18 December 2004 23:28 Go to next message
As some of you will now be aware of, the government is planning to restrict high powered cars for P platers. Doesn't effect me but I suspect there maybe a few people here it does effect.

Well I stumbled across this website where you can have you say

http://www.youngdrivers.com.au/

To my view, I would like to see an exemption where if a young driver has had advanced driver training where they learn roadcraft, plus joins an "approved" car club ( like Toymods ) where we can teach young people a few ethics as well as providing an outlet for young enthusists like regular Dyno Days, Offstreet drags, race days, social cruises, then they will be allowed to own a "restricted" car.

This would be similar to what happened when they reformed the gun laws where you had to be a member of a shooters club to own a gun.
  Send a private message to this user    
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Sun, 19 December 2004 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Power restrictions for p platers is nothing new. I know here in vic your restriced to 125kw/tonne and you also have an engine capacity limit (though i never took much notice of that part of the law)
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Sun, 19 December 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

What about if you own or are paying off your car? Is it retrospective?

seeyuzz
river
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Sun, 19 December 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I reckon its still possible to kill my self on a bicycle so why limit the power???
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Sun, 19 December 2004 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
because 90 % of p plate drivers in powerful cars drive like dicks
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Sun, 19 December 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its the attide of the driver no matter what they drive a low powered car say a 4af will still do over the legal speed limit. And as for the turbo bull shit what happens if you got to drive your parents turbo diesel 4x4 or a turbod light truck , or a daihatsu copa that puts out aprox 50kw which i might add is turbocharged. now are they going to ban that and not say a s2000 or vtir honda ? just my 2c
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Sun, 19 December 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have no objection to a limit to power to weight ration, i think it is far more effective than other suggested methods and better thna just sayong no v8's or no forced induction. But what do you for modified cars, do a dyno at the motor registry to confirm the power output, what percentage do you use for drivetrain loss etc etc. Great suggestion and I would back it if introduced but just so hard to monitor
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Sun, 19 December 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Sun, 19 December 2004 14:38

DING! we have a winner.

george st on saturday night is your example.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Mon, 20 December 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the way in to the city for the Toyomds Christmas dinner I was following a Viper with L plates on it.

Just thought I'd throw that out there as a fairly extreme example of a young driver in a powerful car.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Mon, 20 December 2004 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
again it all comes down to the drivers attitude. I have seen 40 year old bogans in there VS-SS commodores doing cooks and driving like fucking maniacs. It would have a posetive side though to having the cops put yer car on the dyno to test how much power, cause then u get a free dyno test!! and they have to tell u the outcome cause they couldn't just take your car without telling u how much power it put out!! but then u would lose it if u had to much power!!
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Mon, 20 December 2004 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_Supra wrote on Mon, 20 December 2004 12:21

again it all comes down to the drivers attitude. I have seen 40 year old bogans in there VS-SS commodores doing cooks and driving like fucking maniacs.

Not having a go at you in particular TRD supra,but FFS what do people think is easier to do, change the attitude of young drivers or limit them in some way? It is an unfortunate part of being a young new driver to test the limits of their car,often in places that aren't particularly safe,now id rather them doing it in a 121 then a GTST skyline or V8 commi.But seriously trying to get through to most people is fucking hard no matter how old they are..This is why these types of limits are the only way to go! A suggestion for the people who are opposing these type of changes,most seem to be P platers which I can understand, next time you are driving just sit back and cruise, now watch the people around you and notice who seems to carving up traffic,who are taking unnecessary risks and who just stand out to be speeding more! yes there are exception but just open your eyes and watch...it may finally click!
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Mon, 20 December 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Mon, 20 December 2004 12:10

On the way in to the city for the Toyomds Christmas dinner I was following a Viper with L plates on it.

Just thought I'd throw that out there as a fairly extreme example of a young driver in a powerful car.

Lol.. we saw that one too on George St. F&*^ing bastard!!

Quote:

Dude, it's not just those in powerful cars.. Think about how many Civics, Lancers, Corollas and just about any other car popular with young people are driven by absolute 'tards on the road! A fuckwit is a fuckwit, no matter what they drive (and no, i'm not saying this is restricted to P-Platers).

Quote:

Not having a go at you in particular TRD supra,but FFS what do people think is easier to do, change the attitude of young drivers or limit them in some way? It is an unfortunate part of being a young new driver to test the limits of their car,often in places that aren't particularly safe,now id rather them doing it in a 121 then a GTST skyline or V8 commi.But seriously trying to get through to most people is fucking hard no matter how old they are..This is why these types of limits are the only way to go! A suggestion for the people who are opposing these type of changes,most seem to be P platers which I can understand, next time you are driving just sit back and cruise, now watch the people around you and notice who seems to carving up traffic,who are taking unnecessary risks and who just stand out to be speeding more! yes there are exception but just open your eyes and watch...it may finally click!

Holy shit dude - I actually agree with you here! Shocked Razz

[Updated on: Mon, 20 December 2004 06:56]

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Mon, 20 December 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lucid wrote on Mon, 20 December 2004 17:56

Quote:

Dude, it's not just those in powerful cars.. Think about how many Civics, Lancers, Corollas and just about any other car popular with young people are driven by absolute 'tards on the road! A fuckwit is a fuckwit, no matter what they drive (and no, i'm not saying this is restricted to P-Platers).

how many lancers / civics / corollas have u seen sideways ? Laughing
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Mon, 20 December 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Mon, 20 December 2004 18:06

Quote:

You've never driven behind me.. have you? Laughing Razz
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Mon, 20 December 2004 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most recent example.

driving down to cronulla on friday nite with my gf in my mates KE20 (3t-gte powah machine). This KE20 is quite a quick little beastie and its pretty obvious sometimes on take offs.
Cruising down King George's Rd, doing ~75kph, wizzing past me goes a Rav4, AE92 rolla, Gemini, Vl commi, and a couple of other cars - all flashing back and forth across lanes cutting gaps waay too small to be considered sane, let alone safe.

You guessed it - every single one, red P Platers. I was actually scared for MY life and slowed right down to get some space between them and me. I saw 3 near missed in like 30 seconds....

Slow down kids. You'll end up killing not only yourself, but other people too.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Mon, 20 December 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
79rollaboy wrote on Sun, 19 December 2004 11:35

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I reckon its still possible to kill my self on a bicycle so why limit the power???

Yeah, but how many ppl can you kill on your bicycle?
Not many.

I'm all for power/weight restrictions.
I think only a few states have them thus far, and it needs to be introduced Australia wide.

Either that, or kids who want to drive powerful cars need to pass a course to let them do so.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Mon, 20 December 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as brockie said - driver training is great (and I'm all for the govt implementing it - about time!), but without proper driver attitude the accidents will still happen... and unfortunately a proper attitude to driving usually comes with maturity/age.
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Mon, 20 December 2004 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
power to weight ratio restrictions? sure they could tell with a stock car but otherwise they would need a portable dyno Surprised
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Mon, 20 December 2004 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bring it ON! Cool I know its unfair for those that actually drive sensibly and have half-a-clue (advanced driver training etc), but unfortunately there's still plenty of peanut
p-platers out there just waiting to injure or kill someone unnecessarily.

My fu(kwit teenage neighbour is proving the point as we speak, taking his mates for repeated joyrides in the R33 GTST that his mummy bought him on the weekend, seeing if he can break a speed record in 50kph zones Mad
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Mon, 20 December 2004 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think there should be power limitations. You can't tell me that it's not easier to get into trouble with a V8 commodore than it is to get into trouble with my little 60kw Lancer. I don't think everyone should be limited to shitty Lancers though. I dunno what the limit should be set at. The problem is that a torqy engine will be harder to handle than a little revvy engine, even if they both have the same power to weight. Turbochargers obviously present another problem with hitting boost half way around corners and what have you.

I think the best way to solve it would be with more driver training.
Toymad
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Mon, 20 December 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Mon, 20 December 2004 22:37

...You can't tell me that it's not easier to get into trouble with a V8 commodore than it is to get into trouble with my little 60kw Lancer.

Right on Shraka! P-platers have plates and restrictions coz a lot don't have the experience that u need to handle something that'll lose traction as soon as u give it a squirt!

Driver training will help, but you still need real world experience on roads with other crazy drivers before you are educated enough to handle something that will put you in trouble if ur not careful! One step at a time!

The restrictions should start with L-platers first tho...P-platers are overly stereotyped! Policing the restrictions is the problem tho!
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Mon, 20 December 2004 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And yet again, another P-Plater and passenger killed when their Skyline crashed into a power pole while allegedly street racing last night Confused
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Mon, 20 December 2004 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, it was on the news this morning.
Whats going on, all skylines and wrx deciding to wrap themselves around poles, i think that since p plater deaths are becoming a big topic of discussion, the media are targeting has much information of accident from p platers as possible, but no media took a picture of a commodore wraped around a tree just across my road 2 years ago, the guy in the car got tossed almost 1 meter away Sad
I think that you have to learn the limits of the car you drive, sure its got to do with attitude more than anything else but im almost sure death rates would drop.
Also im against drink driving, 2 beers or 12 can cost you your life.
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Tue, 21 December 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_Supra wrote on Mon, 20 December 2004 12:21

again it all comes down to the drivers attitude. I have seen 40 year old bogans in there VS-SS commodores doing cooks and driving like fucking maniacs. It would have a posetive side though to having the cops put yer car on the dyno to test how much power, cause then u get a free dyno test!! and they have to tell u the outcome cause they couldn't just take your car without telling u how much power it put out!! but then u would lose it if u had to much power!!

you really think they will doa dyno test for free ?
they will charge you thrice the going price and doctor the results so a pushbike is illegal in power stakes
gawd grow up
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Tue, 21 December 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

[quote title=Quote:

Lucid wrote:
Holy shit dude - I actually agree with you here! Shocked Razz[/quote]

Very Happy cmon I thought you always agree with me,hey what happened to my beetlejuice quote Razz

[Updated on: Tue, 21 December 2004 11:46]

Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Tue, 21 December 2004 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Power to wieght is really the only viable option the government has suggested so far. Although it would affect me I'd prefer a power to wieght instead of night curfews etc...
Dero
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Tue, 21 December 2004 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am currently halfway through my second year of driving on Ps, I have never had an accident, never had my license suspended, and I have been pulled over once for a minor speeding offence (the LAPD was quite surprised when he asked about my history). Having said this, the majority of my friends in the same age group cannot say the same. One of my mates has written off two cars, another has repeatedly smashed his parents' Lancer Evil or Very Mad
I did a driver training course before I got my Ls. The old dudes there have a fair bit of knowledge and if young drivers can manage to find it within them to realise they aren't all prodigies and that people with more experience may well be better drivers, I think that this would be a much better solution than more restrictions. They haven't been 100% successful in the past, maybe it's time to try something new - like a compulsory course where you can find out your limitations as a driver, and the limitations of your car. That's also important to know to drive safely.
Sorry about the long post Embarassed Smile

Edit: Forgot to mention I did a fair bit of my Ls (and lots of my Ps so far) in a banged up hand-me-down RT40, that could have contributed to being careful too Very Happy And, it's not too hard to push it to the absolute limit Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 21 December 2004 13:39]

KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Tue, 21 December 2004 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dero, unfortunatley, for you, and some others, most P Platers fuck it up for everyone. Im up for power restrictions for P Platers, Im mean, i drove a Camry on my P's, i still acted like a dickhead, now all these p platers are driving TT Supra, Skylines, 180sx, all powerful Jap Imports. I have learnt alot, during my years of driving, I will be the first to admit, i was a clown on my P's, and Im glad, nothing happened to me then!
MrJoo
Regular

May 2004
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Tue, 21 December 2004 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Power restrictions are a small help to a big problem . A few of you mention that you could be in a lancer/civic and still kill your self, this is true in many cases. However its so much easier and *MORE TEMPTING* for you to try and go feel the rush with a v8 commodore/skylines/TTsupra rather than a lancer and an excel. Sure u got some litte riced p-platers drivers that have no disregard for road rules, but can you imagine how worse it would be if they were driving 180's/Gtr's ect. Its like a missile in the hands of an idiot.

Driving courses? well there's some good in it and some bad. Some P platers might take it in a responsible sense and learn something from it, then theres the ones that will give it extra confidence and do more shit on the road as they feel they are confident enough to handle situations due to the driving course.

maybe just to scare these p platers the gov. has to place in a law that any speeding commited by a p-plater should have their license suspended for 3 - 6 mths and do community work, and restricted to a car with a maximum displacement of 1.5 litre n/a unmodified after they get their license back from suspension for the rest of their p - plate duration. Dont have a small car or dont have enough money for one? Tough luck! Harsh I know but what else is going to scare these people? an accident? Still even if this was in place there still would be idiots on the road, and I feel sorry to the genuine good p plate drivers who just need to drive as a means to commute. These hoons stuff it up for you guys.

some P platers on the roads that I see think they are kings of the roads. I think some of it have something to do with the media in regards to what we read and watch and play. Go have a look at some tuner mags as an example, youll notice that some cars there are featured with bigger turbos and mods for cars that even mum and dad could afford for the p plater.

How many kids these days that play and watch initial D wouldnt want try and drift a driftable car if they had the chance? ?

Some people write in saying that as their first cars they are lookin at a sr20det silvia or a skyline. The response was more in the lines of you can get more power out of them with this and that mods, but nothing in regard to saftey and how quick they can get you into trouble.

This P plate problem is a hard one to even try and fix. Its more of an epidemic if anything. Access to cheap high performance imported cars ( 14 sec cars for under 15k, even some for less than 10k ), magazines/vids that show you such things as the cheapest way to get power out of your *car*, the abundance of mods an how to drift, Internet forums that encourage drag racing, fuel and excite the young and immature to actually want to try and do these things. And when they do it, its on our roads. Unfortunately this is the way it has become. Not much you can do really but drive safe and be weary of these young drivers and hope the gov comes up with something.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 December 2004 23:22]

Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Wed, 22 December 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it is shit as there is talk of P platers not being able to drive turbos, supercharger, or v8's. This makes no sense as a 253 v8 holden would not produce the power of a late model falcon six. So if I was to mod my car to the shit-house with forged pistons etc and leave in naturally aspirated how the hell are they gonna know how many horses it has, for all they know it could be pretty much standard.
XiL3D
Regular

April 2003
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Wed, 22 December 2004 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No v8's, turbo's or superchargers....who sais you cant get 600 HP out of a naturally aspirated straight 6.....They have to bring in the power to weight limiting otherwise its just pointless.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Wed, 22 December 2004 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but what p-plaetr can afford to spend enough money to get 600hp out of a na six. Cheap imports mean turbo charged cars are affordable for a p-plater. But ultimately ppl will find ways around anything and it really does come down to attitude, a fucktard in a pulsar or a fucktard in a skyline can still be the same fucktard, except he ahs to work harder to get up to speeds that become exceptionally dangerous for him and others. Slower cars are not as desirable to race why don't we just get an offenders to drive around in diesals, not common rail ones either the old sluggish ones. That'll teach, don't think they'll get to far then.
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Wed, 22 December 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but how are they gonna know how many horses my car makes
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Wed, 22 December 2004 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it doesnt matter what size car or how much power it has accidents etc can happen to all. for example, even an almighty 545cc sherpa is capable of harming the occupants and other road users.
i beleive forced driver education and testing afterwards would be better.

anyways, all of us here know at some stage in our driving career (if not still) we have behaved extremely stupid on the road. i dont think we should comdem the p platers of today as we have been there too.

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Wed, 22 December 2004 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its really hard to condone a course of action around these these.
points of example, ive got my TT soarer.. had no crashes, no dings, I dont drive like a git most of of the time.

My cousin brendan had a slow sigma or something, wrote it off running into someone, he then got a nissan 300c, which he lost control of, swiped a person and ran up a tree, while he had no license. He is now covered in fines

My mate matt, wrote off a corona(he got t boned, so not his fault). crashed and wrote off his exa while driving home. he always pushed the puny car too far.

Its unfortunate some dickheads ruin it for us "more" responsible people.
Ill admit Ill give my car some stick, but if i do.. it will be down a road or street that is very open with no-one around. But never really give it over 5 psi of boost when doing so.
I think its the people who drive cars more for an ego trip rather than real enthusiasts that cause this problem(or are just plain stupid).

Im all up for power limiting... AFTER im off my p's Very Happy
General_Bupkiss
Regular

August 2004
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fattony: 125kw a tonne????
unless I am mistaken you can still drive a gtr skyline with that 206 kw at 1530kg (???) thats about 120 kws per tonne.
but I do agree with the engin capacity thing.

Now this was stated before but by taking away forced induction and v8's, what the hell is that gunna do. ok so I can't drive my slow as a$$ et pulsar, my exa turbo, or charade turbo, but I can drive an s2000, or too a lesser extend am integra type r or xr6.

Driver training (as a requirement to get your red p's), or a limit on engine capacity say 2L with no forced induction is probebly the best way to go.
Ra28Freak
Regular

September 2004
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
still think thatthe answer is with goverment funded track days Very Happy
i mean your never going to fix it by restrictions, my brothers friend drives an unregestered car with a suspened license, he doesnt care that the next time he is going to jail and do u think any of the dicks with these cars will,
think if their parents are willing to buy these cars for them do u really think they wont just put it in their name ?
what are the cops going to do then? either way i just cant see how restrictions and not education are going to fix this,
i mean why not start with magazines and media?
because that means messing with big companies the reall deal is they dont want to fix things just look like they are doing asomething about it, doesnt the government hire smart people for lack of a bitter word to find solutions for these things it feels like theres a monkey that jonny feeds to get his policy ideas from anyhow ;end rant;
86twinky
Regular

November 2003
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Sun, 19 December 2004 14:38

80% of people know that 90% of statistics are made up
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah and every seven minutes around the world a new tupperware party is started.
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think parents need to take a bit more responsibility,..

If my son went out and bought a Skyline, or any other turbo charged car within the first couple of years of driving..

I would spend the weekend systematically taking it apart... (same rule applies for motorbikes)

A power restriction would be a big step in the right direction though...

my 2c

86twinky
Regular

November 2003
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wasn't there an incident in victoria this morning?
Goes to show power restrictions are not the be all and end all.
Take any car, put it into a pole at 160km/h and see how the occupants come off. You can kill yourself in any car... driver attitude is what needs to be addressed. The idea of imposing driving restrictions on whose who have proven they cannot use the roads in a responsable manner (ie limiting occupants for P platers who have lost licences) seems far more sensible than labeling specific cars as dangerous.
They need to TRY and teach people not to drive like 'tards.. and clamp down harder on those who do.
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86Twinky

It's only like 3 years of a 60 year driving career.

I agree with you in regard to the attitudes of young drivers. And driver education should be #1 priority, for sure.

But imposing a power restriction for the first 3 years would definately help,.

Why would you want oodles of power.. if you need a fast/powerful car,.. your attitude suggests that you plan to use it, and you can bet that ANY young driver, regardless of attitude or education would be more inclined to put their foot down in a powerful car,....

Bring on the restrictions and driver education

Smile

86twinky
Regular

November 2003
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lack of common sense on the roads is something which afflicts drivers of ALL ages..
Recent events and media focus is leading the public to believe that a young driver and a quick car is always recipe for disaster. It is possible to own a performance car and not drive like a dickhead, it is also possible to own a non performance car and drive like a dickhead... the deciding factor is the driver.
People seem to see power restrictions as some form of solution... if they were we wouldn't see accidents in states which already have them imposed. Have a look at how many of these recent accidents have involved laws being broken, two of the crashes were people who did not hold a valid license... these people are disregarding the current laws in place on our roads, so how is a new one going to prevent this?
I'm not saying something shouldn't be done, I just think a half arsed attempt is pointless.
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I couldn't agree more

we will never be able to stop all road fatality.

but you can improve on the current rules to weed out all the obvious problems.

Powerful vehicles have their place,

But they don't belong to un-educated inexperienced kids.

I attended an 18th a few years ago, and a young girl crashed her boyfriends V8 commodore into a tree at around 150kph, instantly killing herself, and putting her friend on life support for a week, then they turned her off...

She was unlicenced, and it was a very big wake up call to everyone who was there. Not something I wish upon any family.

86twinky
Regular

November 2003
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soaringmik

150kph

soaringmik

She was unlicenced

In this case two road laws were broken (speeding and driving unlicensed), and the car was not even hers to being with....
I don't like to speak ill of the deceased but it does not sound as though she cared about the current laws, so I fail to see how power restrictions would have prevented this.
The driver could have put any car into that tree and caused the harm that occured, the deciding factor in all of this was the decisions made by the driver.

[Updated on: Thu, 23 December 2004 05:26]

soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All true,

It was a number of factors that lead to these deaths,.. and I never said that the power of the vehicle was the sole reason for the deaths

but i do know that she managed to get that car up to 150kph in a very short distance, (only a few hundred meters),

Plus she was enjoying driving around in her boyfriends powerful/loud car, so it was a peer pressure situation, and she wanted to show off...

If her boyfriend drove a Nimbus Smile ,.. it probably wouldn't have occured....

86twinky
Regular

November 2003
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soaringmik

If her boyfriend drove a Nimbus Smile ,.. it probably wouldn't have occured....

And if she made smarter decisions on the road it definately wouldn't have happened.

Not trying to pick at things here, I just don't believe cars are killing people... people are killing themselves (and others)
Esteban
Regular

June 2002
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crying or Very Sad

IMHO...
It's really all to do with attitude, and until a driver (no matter what age) matures with experience on the road and quite possibly _age_ ...

- Driver education is a must (give them somewhere to BE dickheads in their cars and prove what they can do to all their mates)

- Power to weight limits/a certain absolute limit on horespower,

- Limits on number of occupants allowed in vehicle (hard to police?)

- Distance from home allowed to travel

- Time kerfews on the above two points

- Exceptions for CAMS C3 level holders!!!! hahaha Smile well, that wasnt me when I was that age, and my attitude probably wasnt the best either Smile

Its a complex problem indeed, I certainly dont have all the answers.
Esteban
Regular

June 2002
icon2.gif  Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats a good point too, I'd be interested to see some (unadulterated) statistics on just how many young _unlicenced_ fatalities/injurys occur during thefts etc...
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Mon, 20 December 2004 18:06

Quote:

Lots. Usually parked hard against telegraph poles etc.

Driver training for those who drive like maniacs will only thinks they can drive even faster on the road. It won't change that mentality of those who say " It won't haooen to me" 'cause it usually doesn't but it does for those they kill.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soaringmik wrote on Thu, 23 December 2004 14:56

I think parents need to take a bit more responsibility,..

If my son went out and bought a Skyline, or any other turbo charged car within the first couple of years of driving..

I would spend the weekend systematically taking it apart... (same rule applies for motorbikes)

A power restriction would be a big step in the right direction though...

my 2c

my parents have supported me all the time while making my car from stock until what it is now(in sig). im only 19. I dont think the answer is to ban such things
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats great

I still think a power restriction would be a good step Smile
86twinky
Regular

November 2003
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bah..
Just ban all performance and modified cars, for all age groups, that way you can be 100% sure no young drivers will kill themselves in them... or anyone else at all for that matter.

Razz
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86twinky wrote on Fri, 24 December 2004 10:28

Bah..
Just ban all performance and modified cars, for all age groups, that way you can be 100% sure no young drivers will kill themselves in them... or anyone else at all for that matter.

Razz

mybe we should go back to horse and carriage
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm with soaring milk here. I reckon without a CAMS licence, you shouldn't be able to drive those cars for the first X years. That will help sort out people who care about driving to people who care about showing off/traffic light GP/street racing.

Don't get me wrong, I know plenty of p-platers in hot cars who do know how to drive, and speed sensibly (and despite what the ads say, there is such a thing) but you just gotta accept that the majority of p-platers do not know how to drive, and when daddy buys them a new skyline because they got above 90 in their HSC, they wont have any respect for the car.
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Fri, 24 December 2004 10:36

I'm with soaring milk here. I reckon without a CAMS licence, you shouldn't be able to drive those cars for the first X years. That will help sort out people who care about driving to people who care about showing off/traffic light GP/street racing.

Don't get me wrong, I know plenty of p-platers in hot cars who do know how to drive, and speed sensibly (and despite what the ads say, there is such a thing) but you just gotta accept that the majority of p-platers do not know how to drive, and when daddy buys them a new skyline because they got above 90 in their HSC, they wont have any respect for the car.

Well said...

P.S, my name is not derived from any bovine produce... Smile
86twinky
Regular

November 2003
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The end result will be you'll have people who would have driven like tools in performance cars, driving like tools in normal cars... it's no safer.
They need to crack down harder on those who do break the laws, it's too easy to keep your license. How about they make any driver who loses their license (regardless of age)return to their P's after their suspension time is up? that way any power restrictions etc set in place to "prevent" young people from killing themselves would also effectively prevent dickheads of all ages from being a danger on our roads?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry - my mind is on my coffee at this ungodly hour, and the milk in it Razz
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLassic P-plate action the other day here in Canberra (no one was hurt, so it is kind of funny).

4 teeny bopper chicks in a riced up excel, red p-plate proudly displayed, closely (I mean very closely, inches behind at 70km/h) behind a VL commodore full of 4 homies cuzin for da bitchez (red p-plate).

Now these two are playing cat and mouse through three lanes of traffic, obviously oblivious to the braking distance required at 70 km/h Rolling Eyes

Then the inevitable CRUNCH!! Commodore into back of Excel!! Commodore dude was furious and was throwing his hat and hitting his car! Chick in Excel was crying. I am just glad they learnt there lesson without getting hurt!
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Have Your Say: restricting power limits for P platers Thu, 23 December 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
86twinky wrote on Fri, 24 December 2004 10:42

The end result will be you'll have people who would have driven like tools in performance cars, driving like tools in normal cars... it's no safer.
They need to crack down harder on those who do break the laws, it's too easy to keep your license. How about they make any driver who loses their license (regardless of age)return to their P's after their suspension time is up? that way any power restrictions etc set in place to "prevent" young people from killing themselves would also effectively prevent dickheads of all ages from being a danger on our roads?

Who is to say that the young man/womans first major offence wasn't running a red light and smashing into a couple of cars.

Although there are a lot of repeat offenders on the roads.

You'll find that not all fatal accidents involve these repeat offenders. It can happen to anyone, it can happen the day you get your licence.

(I hate to say it) but i think a little more police presence would also help,.. it's too easy to get away with shit..

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Brisbane - Fuel pressure gauge.
Next Topic:MR2 Head Unit Bracket
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 23:41:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010215997695923 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.