Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
murray
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Weird noise Wed, 15 December 2004 10:51 Go to next message
Hey all and merry christmas

Ive got this strange noise coming from the top of my engine. Its a 2l hilux, carbie

this is what it sounds like http://members.optusnet.com.au/~paulahay/enginenoi se.wav
Ill try and get a better recording of it tommrow

It only happens when its quite warm and it sounds to solid to be tappets, kinda like a diesel. but its a rattly kinda noise, a little crackly.

It seems to stop when the revs go up even just a little.

I took the tappet cover off and checked that everything under there was tight.

Got me beat, any help would be great

Merry christmas

Send a private message to this user    
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Weird noise Wed, 15 December 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
couldnt hear very much, didnt really sounds like tappets tho. i dont think anyones gonna diagnose it over the net, take it to a mechanic!
granmra40
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Weird noise Wed, 15 December 2004 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess althouth file is maybe not true on my computer.

I would say check out threads on detonation or pinging. I was still experimenting to try and get rid of mine. Tried 98 RON fuel didnt ping but have a steel head need additive not ccconvienient. If not convient for you look at timing retard a bit and might work. I am talking N/A lots talk about HP and boost and problems.

With all the talk of pinging in the forums does it cause any damage? I know its annoying ( mine sounds like chain noise is there q ghost in the machine?)
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Weird noise Thu, 16 December 2004 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's definately the Gerbil spinning the running wheel to maximum revs, and the resultant air sound on back off!
murray
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Weird noise Thu, 16 December 2004 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys, I guess I'll just have to go to a mechanic and empty my wallet as he also takes guesses at what it could be at my expense.

Merry christmas
rxbenny
Regular

November 2004
Re: Weird noise Sun, 19 December 2004 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yo yo what motor is in your hilux and what year is your car
i had a 18r have a noise like that but it was heaps louder when the timing chain tensioner was not doing its job.

dunoo dunno
stab in dark ?

Good luck and merry xmas bro
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Weird noise Sun, 19 December 2004 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like a diesel to me lol.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Weird noise Sun, 19 December 2004 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Get a large, long screwdriver - one of those big mothers, and place the screwdriver end on the engine (while it is running) and put your ear to the handle part.

Yeah, it may sound strange to do this, but it helps you localise the noise. Move the screwdriver head to different parts of the motor (but do try to keep it away from rotating parts!) and have a listen. When you hit the area making the noise the sound, transmitted through the 'driver, will be the loudest. Good, old fashioned way to find which valve or tappet is making a noise, and to find bearing noises and stuff like that.

seeyuzz
river
murray
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Weird noise Thu, 23 December 2004 00:08 Go to previous message
Solved
yep loose timing chain, and it had worn a few grooves into the case too. Thanks guys
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Getting rims made for an MA61.
Next Topic:Wiring thermal fans in an AE86???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:42:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078830718994141 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.