Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
oz_eight6
Regular

May 2003
info on FWD ae86's Thu, 23 December 2004 10:08 Go to next message
i am after as much technical info about the fwd sprinters. especially are there any differences in rails and can these cars be converted to rwd. or are the rails set up for FWD only?

thanks

oz_eight6

P.S. do ae86 coupes come in a fwd version also

thanks again

any info would be greatly appreciated
  Send a private message to this user    
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: info on FWD ae86's Thu, 23 December 2004 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are all rwd
the fwd sprinters from the same era are ae80's if im not mistaken
where they were 4dr and fwd
i doubt they would have a trans tunnel for rwd
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: info on FWD ae86's Thu, 23 December 2004 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You will find nothing on a fwd AE86, cause they dont exist.

As mentioned before, 4dr AE82 are the equivelent cars, similar nose design and similar dash, that's about it.

Cheers

Steve
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: info on FWD ae86's Thu, 23 December 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a fwd levin n there is a fwd sprinter as well.

maybe he's referring to ae92s??

i doubt it though...
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: info on FWD ae86's Thu, 23 December 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Thu, 23 December 2004 18:46

i have a fwd levin n there is a fwd sprinter as well.

maybe he's referring to ae92s??

i doubt it though...

NO NO NO

i said theres no front wheel drive ae86s
not no front wheel drive sprinters
and no hes referring to ae8x's
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: info on FWD ae86's Thu, 23 December 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These is some confusion here. First realise that alot of Corolla models in Japan where called "Sprinter", all the way from about 1969 to 2001 there has been a "Sprinter" equivalent to most Corollas, in Japan. Some of these models we got badged differently, some we didn't get.

In Australia, I think only 2, maybe three models where actialy called "Sprinter".

First there was the KE15/KE17 Sprinter coupe. Basicaly a KE10 corolla in 2 door coupe form. In some markets this was called "Sprinter" posiably in Australia also.

Next was the AE86 Sprinter, as we know, RWD, 4A-C etc...

Next was the AE102 Sprinter. This was a 5 door liftback with 7A-FE engine. Similar to the common AE102 Corolla Seca, but a bit longer and fatter, with different lights and stuff. This is probably the car the guy is talking of. Its FWD, and generaly speaking you can't just change it to RWD.

The FWD version of a AE86 is a AE82 Corolla, sort of...

Also, the AE92 "Seca" liftback shape is called a Sprinter in Japan, as its got different styling to the normal AE92 hatch. Also the AE95 4WD corolla was called Sprinter in Japan also (similar front end to the Seca).

Another stupid fact: Check out the headlights on a AE71 Corolla, they have the sprinter "S" logo in the lense.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: info on FWD ae86's Thu, 23 December 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doesnt that s stand for super response?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: info on FWD ae86's Thu, 23 December 2004 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a TE71 that was sold in Australia with 'Sprinter' badges, and it also has the same lights as the shovelnose corolla with the 'S' in them.
oz_eight6
Regular

May 2003
Re: info on FWD ae86's Thu, 23 December 2004 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi guys, thanks heaps for the info. i am only really interested in the ae85 and ae86 platform.

thanks

oz_eight6
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: info on FWD ae86's Thu, 23 December 2004 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude do a bit of research on google
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: info on FWD ae86's Thu, 23 December 2004 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

As for AE85 truly turtle car?

Laughing Laughing Laughing hahHHAHHHAhahahhahHAHAHA

Quote:

Concerning the AE85...
The AE85 and alias bee go 1983 (1983 years) from 62 years (1987 years) to were produced as a subordinate grade of the AE86, it is the LEVIN/TRUENO of inexpensive edition.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl =ja&u=http://homepage1.nifty.com/orihika/hobby /car/ae86_02.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dae85%26hl %3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff

EDIT:
so who the heck sold you on the idea of a FWD AE85/6?? i want what they were smoking Wink

[Updated on: Thu, 23 December 2004 23:01]

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: info on FWD ae86's Fri, 24 December 2004 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on a similar subject my mate was chatting to a guy once who was going on about how good those "AE86 melvin's" are

i sure would like to own a melvin over a levin any day.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: info on FWD ae86's Fri, 24 December 2004 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha melvin

gold.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: info on FWD ae86's Fri, 24 December 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://degiorgi.math.hr/forum/images/cartman.gif
DRiiFT_King
Regular

November 2004
Re: info on FWD ae86's Fri, 24 December 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just wait, im confused, how can someone who is a regular to these forums thin that there is a fwd ae86s, you could get a ae82 and a rwd ae86, spend to much money and then have a front wheels drive 86 if you realy wanted, and then once you done that buy another ae86, convert your existing 86 to rwd again, and then you would have a fwd 86 thats been converted to rwd, and you know it will work
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: info on FWD ae86's Fri, 24 December 2004 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd say someone has been talking about an AE86 with a motor that has been converted from FWD to RWD and obviously there has been a little bit of confusion.

Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: info on FWD ae86's Fri, 24 December 2004 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope...you're all wrong.

it has to do with drugs. lots of drugs. Rolling Eyes

extra useless info on the ae8x range:

ae80 corolla was powered by a 1.3litre 2A-C, and only came in 4speed manual, (FWD), and was the only FWD corolla to ever have a manual gearbox with less than 5 forwards Very Happy

pointless rant over.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: info on FWD ae86's Sat, 25 December 2004 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mums 4AC AE82 sedan is a 4 speed... Rolling Eyes
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: info on FWD ae86's Sat, 25 December 2004 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isnt the ae85 like all 1300cc or something Rolling Eyes
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: info on FWD ae86's Sat, 25 December 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, AE85 is 1500cc. 3A-C.

oz_eight6
Regular

May 2003
Re: info on FWD ae86's Mon, 27 December 2004 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry to confuse you all, i saw it in the paper a while ago. ae86 sprinter 3-au auto front wheel drive. must have been a missprint. but anyways the reason i ask is i am planning a 20v turbo 4wd sprinter

if there was a fwd version then the issue of drive shafts at the front would be elliminated. As there is no such thing most likely i will be grafting ae82 rails intot he chassis or somehting of similar dimesions.

so far specs pre purchasing the vehicle are

- 20v motor silvertop (already have)
- 25g turbo (already have)
- ae95 4wd box (need)
- st 205 4wd rear end (need)
problem being most of the money wont be on parts it will be in customing a whole stack of shit including most of the engine bay

different engine moutns obviously coz it will then retain the fwd stup of a 20v and then custom second or thrid section of the tailshaft to match the 205's diff and the custom installation of the rear diff and associated components.

all in all very hard to do but once finished for road or rally it would own most cars for handling (if i can maintain the balance close to 50/50)

anyways keep the coments coming as i need all the info i can get

thanks

oz_eight6
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: info on FWD ae86's Mon, 27 December 2004 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude you could have some issues there...

check the final drive ratios for the transaxle and rear diff....

the "S" you guys are talking about is probably for "stanley"

if i were you id look into getting a 4wd corolla.

either a carib (think they were tarago in oz) or an import corolla.
the ae9# onwards all had 4wd versions. even diesel 4wd.....
they have all the hardware mounts drivetrain etc you need. im just not sure how much grunt the box will handle. why are you wanting a gt-4 diff??

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: info on FWD ae86's Mon, 27 December 2004 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you'll need to find a good engineer, and it is likely that you will not be able to road register it short of doing an ICV.

sounds like a very very very big project.
i hope you are doing it yourself, as (even then) it will likely cost more than a modded WRX or an older GTR.
Cya, Stewart
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: info on FWD ae86's Mon, 27 December 2004 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that looks like a big job, how much u looking to spend? 20k-ish?
4wd is a expensive Confused and the trainloss sucks (i think the ae86 4ac is faster than a ae95 4afe)...

wouldnt it be better to make a ae82 4wd? the engine bay is already fwd making half the job done, anyways i think 4wd is over rated Rolling Eyes

i have ae95 and a sprinter, i feel that rwd is better (and thats with a 4ac!)...

btw ae95 are just under 1200kgs Mad but a 20v & 4agze drop has been done Evil or Very Mad

[Updated on: Mon, 27 December 2004 08:11]

ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: info on FWD ae86's Mon, 27 December 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i reckon the best way to do it would be to graft ae82 rails on if theyre the same dimensions, and drop in the 4agte(do the required mods so it doesnt foul on the transfer case) and then use the ae95 box and custom make a tailshaft and retain the stock diff. if the weak little s series breaks use a t18 diff
it takes a lot of money to custom fit an irs rear end.

or just get a ae95, or one of those 4wd ae92 sedans

[Updated on: Mon, 27 December 2004 10:12]

rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: info on FWD ae86's Mon, 27 December 2004 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

or just get a ae95, or one of those 4wd ae92 sedans

wtF? really ae92 4wds?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: info on FWD ae86's Mon, 27 December 2004 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yerp

identical to a ae92 sedan but with the ae95 running gear
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: info on FWD ae86's Mon, 27 December 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wat are they called? never seen one or heard of it?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: info on FWD ae86's Mon, 27 December 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dunno
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: info on FWD ae86's Mon, 27 December 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
went onto google and found:
http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/5255/
toyota sprinter AE95 Sedan
http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog_photos/toyota/sprinter/toyota_sprinter_11188.jpg

not made in australia ey... Sad
oz_eight6
Regular

May 2003
Re: info on FWD ae86's Mon, 27 December 2004 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 most likely i will be using the ae82 rails as i have also heard that they are similar in dimensions.

rthy not looking at spending too much as i plan to do alot of the work myself. or using friends in the trade to help out with some of the body mods.

oldcorollas, a friend who panbel beats, a friend who is a custom metal fabricator, all that is needed is an engineer sadly i dont know any as yet...

Mr Revhead thats for the info, most likely the ae95 box will be used but what i forgot to mention is that i will have to change all the final drive ratios to match each other.

the reason i thought of using the gt-4 rear end is i would like to have a IRS rear end as if you were to think of most hi-po 4wd turbos they all run irs for better handling...

anyways thanks for the replies

anyone got a spare ae95 box and a smashed ae82 with good rails Wink

thanks

oz_eight6
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: info on FWD ae86's Mon, 27 December 2004 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are a few wreckers who have some of those ae95 4wd gboxs (try cvap) should go from $200-400

why not just try to fit a whole ae95 or better yet gt4 running gear? complete near or rwc ae95 go from 2500-9000
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: info on FWD ae86's Mon, 27 December 2004 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oz_eight6 wrote on Tue, 28 December 2004 00:33

oldcorollas, a friend who panbel beats, a friend who is a custom metal fabricator, all that is needed is an engineer sadly i dont know any as yet...

be that as it may, it's not just a matter of cobbling it together.

as you will significantly alter the original purpose of the vehicle, it _should_ need to be covered by the ICV inspection process... and that means all current ADR's..

and to be honest, a 4WD AE86 with a 1.6L motor is just that...
IRS is only a great(er) thing when unsprung weight becomes a significant factor (ie bumpy road)

there are so many things to consider, i don't know where to start... strength of gearbox, strength of grafting AE82 rails on, power split of the centre diff...

as you seem keen to do it, go for it, and keep everyone updated with your progress... particularly if you find an engineer prepared to sign it off Wink

and i still stand be my assertion that you could get a WRX or GTR for less than it will cost you to do it right. Razz

Cya, Stewart

Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: info on FWD ae86's Mon, 27 December 2004 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im still a littla lost as to what car u are actually doing this too..

the ae82 is narrower than the ae9# series.... if your using an ae9# series then i suggest ae95 chassis rails.

i still reckon starting with an 4wd corolla is your best bet.

changing diff ratios can be exspensive!

i have a feeling some 4wd corollas were irs.. ill check at work tomorrow if i rememeber.

definitly keep us updated, dont be disheartend by nay sayers... but also be realistic! you know your abilities best!
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: info on FWD ae86's Wed, 29 December 2004 05:52 Go to previous message
rthy wrote on Mon, 27 December 2004 19:09

, anyways i think 4wd is over rated Rolling Eyes

Yeah i think the same, "over rated". Sure, sure they are good but the Pug 405 i think it is, FWD non-turbo out does the subaru and lancer through the twisties.

But apart from that if ya if you've got the money and backing go for it.
But to throw another curve ball is how about the transaxle from the 4wd tercel, 3a motor that sits north-south, 6 speed gearbox (well if you want to call the extra low gear thats next to 1st as 1st and 1st gear as 2nd and.......)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:bolt-on wheel hub PCD changers
Next Topic:1989 Celica SX ST162
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:46:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071818828582764 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.