Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Pheonix
Regular

May 2002

icon4.gif  ECU selection Thu, 23 December 2004 04:53 Go to next message
hi guys, im in a bit of a bind atm, im looking at possible ecu's for my 2T/3T hybrid engine im building. Im looking at either the EMS 8860 or the LinkPlus. has any1 had experience with these computers, they both cost the same, but the 1 advantage the LinkPlus has is knock sensing but doesnt have 3d mapping. Can any1 help with some info
  Send a private message to this user    
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ECU selection Thu, 23 December 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
megasquirt
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: ECU selection Thu, 23 December 2004 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How many ignition outputs are required? (Is it a 4 cylinder, and can it run wasted spark?)

Also, where are you located?
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ECU selection Thu, 23 December 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm also looking for a computer, but I need it to do both fuel and spark, and switch the supercharger.

I have a 4A-GZE in the shed, with no wiring or computer. (May go turbo later etc...)

The MegaSquirt sounds exciting, I will look into that. Does it do spark yet? What does it cost to build? Will it be as good as a Wolf3D?
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ECU selection Thu, 23 December 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ms is around 220$, so bugger all

some blokes are using it on mr2oc.com in the megasquirt section running 4ages with spark control

Im going to turbo my 2tg and ill be running the MS with spark controll, the MS2 will be out soon and it has IAC controller for the idle motor as well as some possible extra outputs to run a GZE (im going to try make an adapter harness so i can plug MS straight into the GZE loom Wink )

As for the 2TG ill be running a 2tg elec dizzy with probably a bigport coil/igniter/ Failing that a custom jaycar hall effect module conversion on the 2t dizzy with a generic smart dwell bosch ignitor

The MS at the moment can only drive GM 7pin and similar modules, thankfully the Bigport ignitor works the same way, u can also use 2x 2tgeu modules in a similar fasion. It only has the 1 output so you need a Dizzy, it can take hall effect, optical or VR sensor input (with a VR shaping ignitor module) and fire "smart dwell" ignitors

Check out: http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/
& http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/Ignition.htm

BTW i think the stepper motor controll will be able to be modified to be extra outputs if u dont need it Wink

[Updated on: Thu, 23 December 2004 09:06]

gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ECU selection Thu, 23 December 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and just found this write up for a guy who made a plug and play harness for a 4age Wink

http://members.cox.net/jdlaugh/index_files/Megasqu irt%20configuration.doc
Pheonix
Regular

May 2002

Re: ECU selection Thu, 23 December 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was looking at the megasquirt when i was thinking of running N/A, but i dont like the idea of running the engine with turbo on a modification of a open source ECU. any info on the ECU's stated would be appreciated.

EDIT: the engine is 4 cyl and both computers are able to run with the dizzy/coil setup of the engine, i might convert to wasted spark at a later date but just trying to use the equipement i have atm. Im in Perth.

[Updated on: Thu, 23 December 2004 09:41]

twinturbo86
Regular

June 2003
Re: ECU selection Thu, 23 December 2004 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would go the ems 8860 or the stinger4(if its been released yet)

the 8860 has a LOT of features and also a lot of wires Laughing
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: ECU selection Thu, 23 December 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pheonix wrote on Thu, 23 December 2004 19:38

i was looking at the megasquirt when i was thinking of running N/A, but i dont like the idea of running the engine with turbo on a modification of a open source ECU. any info on the ECU's stated would be appreciated.

EDIT: the engine is 4 cyl and both computers are able to run with the dizzy/coil setup of the engine, i might convert to wasted spark at a later date but just trying to use the equipement i have atm. Im in Perth.

there's quite a few folks running MS on turbo and SC cars, also drag cars, drag bikes, a salt-flat racer, track cars, domestic cars, dirt racers, etc... even rotary guys are using them.

you could import an EDIS unit from the UK (there was a guy on the MS list selling them for under 20 pounds plus postage)?

you can still run with a dizzi but lock it and make the ECU do you timing (called Megasquirt-n-spark)

btw: open source is a good thing not a risk - faults and problems are openly discussed and quickly fixed, new ideas are shared and enhanced. Next thing you'll be starting a flame war about open soruce versus proprietary software and OSes.. Wink

join the forum and spend a few week reading: www.msefi.com
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ECU selection Thu, 23 December 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and contact me if you want to be part of the next group buy Wink
Pheonix
Regular

May 2002

Re: ECU selection Thu, 23 December 2004 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive been following the megasquirt project for over a year now, i know all about it. if i was goin to use the megasquirt i would be redesigning the pcb as there are a few flaws in its design, and the spark is really still beta stage and not fully supported, basicly use at your own risk, thats my rant for today, sorry if ive put some1 off with this post but if the ultra was anywhere near close to being released i would have concidered the idea for forced induction
GTI16V
Regular

May 2002
Re: ECU selection Thu, 23 December 2004 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Find a tuner that you like and can trust,find out what he likes to use.This way atleast he can have no excuses for not liking the system and can guarantee the results.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ECU selection Thu, 23 December 2004 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GTI16V wrote on Fri, 24 December 2004 09:06

Find a tuner that you like and can trust,find out what he likes to use.This way atleast he can have no excuses for not liking the system and can guarantee the results.

Edzcakerly - ask your tuner to help you with your decision.
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: ECU selection Fri, 24 December 2004 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pheonix wrote on Thu, 23 December 2004 20:38

If your in perth, I'll leave you alone..

I'd look at EMS, Stinger, probably Microtech...
Check http://www.adaptronic.com.au/comp.htmlthis out...
Pheonix
Regular

May 2002

Re: ECU selection Fri, 24 December 2004 10:24 Go to previous message
has any1 had any experience with the link computers
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZ/ Skyline
Next Topic:18rg oil filter
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-