Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
loreak
Newcomer

August 2003
Foolish AW11 Questions Thu, 23 December 2004 15:00 Go to next message
I'm off to look at an 88 MR2 (aus stocker) tororrow morn. I have already given it the once over, and had a test drive but now as I am looking at it to buy, there are some things I need to know.
Where is the VIN plate/certificate? I saw a sticker under the engine cover, but it didn't have an engine number on it; which brings me to my second question: How does one check the engine number with the engine arranged as it is?
Any help or other things I should be looking out for would be greatly appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Foolish AW11 Questions Thu, 23 December 2004 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude the VIN is in the frunk.

The engine number is on the block. I checked mine a year ago for import shit.

I pretty sure Its down around the exhaust manifold. On the pulley side. Stick your arm down there with a digi cam, aim at the block, and get a shot of it. Good luck. Or you could lie underneath and try to get a shot of it from there.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Foolish AW11 Questions Thu, 23 December 2004 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there should be 2 VIN plates under the frunk, one up kinda under the windscreen (the VIN # will be stamped into the chassis along there too) and one is on the front wall of the frunk as well (behind the radiators).
the engine number is under #4 exhaust port running vertical on the gearbox end of the block. it is easier to see it from underneathe unless you got an inspection mirror on a stalk to look from above.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Foolish AW11 Questions Thu, 23 December 2004 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The engine number is a PITA to get at, you may even have to pull the starter out to read it.
loreak
Newcomer

August 2003
Re: Foolish AW11 Questions Thu, 23 December 2004 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the help guys, I've dusted off the inspection mirror and am on my way.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Foolish AW11 Questions Thu, 23 December 2004 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The third plate on the front that has the colour coding on it, i only foudn it last week Embarassed when we were loloking for it to match the paint code we could not find it at all. i only noticed it the other week when bled out the coolant system.

wher E bought her 2 i tried to see the block number but gave up on the idea and just trusted that it wasnt dodgy; the rego papers matched the vin plates so i left it at that.

on an odd side note the couple that owned it previously had just bought a new cruiser to go around aust in ( proper cruiser, ie 78) and it was their 7th cruiser. talk about a toyota history Razz
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: Foolish AW11 Questions Sat, 25 December 2004 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry guys but what is a 'frunk'?
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Foolish AW11 Questions Sat, 25 December 2004 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
front trunk, aka luggage space.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: Foolish AW11 Questions Sat, 25 December 2004 16:35 Go to previous message
the bit of the car where the engine is in inferiour cars Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA28 Bonnet
Next Topic:Hot Version Latest Shoot
Goto Forum: