Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What ECU do I use ??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SIKPUPY
Occasional Poster

June 2004

What ECU do I use ?? Fri, 24 December 2004 07:07 Go to next message
I am putting a 1ggze into my 4x4 hilux

I dont now much about these engines let alone fuel injection but am learning at a fast rate.

I am going to have the engine bolted in over xmas and will be requiring an ecu

What Do I use and where is the best place to get one from ???

Regards Brett

Send a private message to this user    
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: What ECU do I use ?? Fri, 24 December 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a whole host of ecus you can use, but what do you want it for and is the stock ecu no good?
SIKPUPY
Occasional Poster

June 2004

Re: What ECU do I use ?? Fri, 24 December 2004 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont have the stock ecu otherwise I would be running it.

I just want it to run the engine, I dont care about anything else. I want to be able to wire it up, take it down get it on the dyno, save the settings and copy to my laptop for future reference and then forget about it(if I can), or should I be concerned about regularly sticking it on the dyno ??

All I know is that I need something that will operate a stepper motor for the idle control and thats it.

Brett
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ECU do I use ?? Fri, 24 December 2004 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look up a few of the manufacturers (microtech, EMS, wolf, Haltech, Motec, Autronic for now) ask them to send you some brochures, ask them about the features that you are interested in, ask the dyno guy and go form there. I think that most aftermarket management systems now operate the stepper idle control.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: What ECU do I use ?? Fri, 24 December 2004 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some microtechs operate the stepper.
Some can do a 4 wire, some can only do a 2 wire.

But they can all operate a rotary control iscv. the 20valve 4age used one of these.

wolf3d v4 can operate a 4wire stepper.

Basically it all depends on how much you want to spend.
Allow 3-5 hrs on the dyno to get it right.

Wolf and microtech are about the same price at the cheapest.
Haltech is a tad more
With autronic even more and motec topping the list.
I'm not sure what the EMS and the LINK cost.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What ECU do I use ?? Sat, 25 December 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're not looking to do much to the engine, you might be best off looking for a stocky ECU etc. - will still likely be a cheaper option. And it's not that hard to make it work...
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: What ECU do I use ?? Sun, 26 December 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Sat, 25 December 2004 23:43

If you're not looking to do much to the engine, you might be best off looking for a stocky ECU etc. - will still likely be a cheaper option. And it's not that hard to make it work...

If the engine is stock... That would be perfect...
He could just grab the normal loom from somewhere, wire it all in...

Although if he PLANS on going for more power later on, he should probably look at an aftermarket now...

Check out http://www.adaptronic.com.au/comp.html

The other thing is, if you have a favourite dyno place/workshop, see what they are knowledgeable in... You might have the greatest tuner on earth, but if he can't use a Microtech, it's worthless taking you microtech controlled car to him for a tuning...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: What ECU do I use ?? Sun, 26 December 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kyosho wrote on Sun, 26 December 2004 11:27

The other thing is, if you have a favourite dyno place/workshop, see what they are knowledgeable in... You might have the greatest tuner on earth, but if he can't use a Microtech, it's worthless taking you microtech controlled car to him for a tuning...

The greatest tuner on earth will be able to tune any ecu, providing the program is user friendly.

It may take them a little longer to get it right compared to their chosen ecu's, but they should still be able to do it if they are worth their wieght.
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: What ECU do I use ?? Sun, 26 December 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Sun, 26 December 2004 14:30

Kyosho wrote on Sun, 26 December 2004 11:27

The greatest tuner on earth will be able to tune any ecu, providing the program is user friendly.

It may take them a little longer to get it right compared to their chosen ecu's, but they should still be able to do it if they are worth their wieght.

But in reality, this does not happen...

There are many tuners around, who know 1 or 2 types of ECU only... They know how to diagnose problems quicker and easier with that ECU...
Different symptoms on different ECUs mean different things.
It doesn't matter how the program is... To initially set the ECU up PROPERLY to run a given engine, can be pain staking if you don't know the ECU manuafacture...
Getting the ECU tuned is fairly reasonable... Getting the settings right on an ECU you don't know... It's a pain in the ass...
If one setting is wrong, the whole thing can go out the door...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: What ECU do I use ?? Sun, 26 December 2004 05:34 Go to previous message
Kyosho wrote on Sun, 26 December 2004 11:51

But in reality, this does not happen...

There are many tuners around, who know 1 or 2 types of ECU only... They know how to diagnose problems quicker and easier with that ECU...
Different symptoms on different ECUs mean different things.
It doesn't matter how the program is... To initially set the ECU up PROPERLY to run a given engine, can be pain staking if you don't know the ECU manuafacture...
Getting the ECU tuned is fairly reasonable... Getting the settings right on an ECU you don't know... It's a pain in the ass...
If one setting is wrong, the whole thing can go out the door...

Actually, the place you buy the ecu from programmes it for your motor, the tuner just plays with the fuel/ignition maps, and things like idle, cold start, etc etc.
It should all be preprogrammed for your exact motor and the exact sensors it uses, and providing it is wired up correctly, tuning should be the only thing left.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Anyone encountered ZIEBART rust protection?
Next Topic:My Clutch feels weird
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 23:36:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.021330833435059 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.