Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
1ggte89
Occasional Poster

November 2004
white smoke Sun, 26 December 2004 02:46 Go to next message
when i turn my car on a fair bit of white smoke pours out the exhaust. any ideas on the prob
oh btw its a 1ggte
  Send a private message to this user    
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: white smoke Sun, 26 December 2004 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does it blow white smoke at any other time?
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: white smoke Sun, 26 December 2004 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it smoke or steam...

If the exhaust is trapping the water created during combustion, when you start up, it will blow alot of water out of it... (As steam)

But if you get white "smoke" when driving, you could have dropped a water channel... although this would make the smoke blow all the time...
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: white smoke Sun, 26 December 2004 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its most likely that your piston rings have past their used by date and your buring oil. Look at rebuilding your engine and putting some new piston rings in, might need to bore it out too if theres uneven wear in the combustion chambers

[Updated on: Sun, 26 December 2004 03:50]

Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: white smoke Sun, 26 December 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
negative boost wrote on Sun, 26 December 2004 14:50

Its most likely that your piston rings have past their used by date and your buring oil. Look at rebuilding your engine and putting some new piston rings in, might need to bore it out too if theres uneven wear in the combustion chambers

Oil burning is a blue colour...
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: white smoke Sun, 26 December 2004 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i knew that Rolling Eyes

ill get it right next time Laughing
1ggte89
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: white smoke Sun, 26 December 2004 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the car only has 100k's on the clock

umm ill take the car for a spin later see if its blowing when driving or after driving
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: white smoke Sun, 26 December 2004 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this use to to happen to my parents old magna and it was because in the morning the water would get into the exhaust via a huge rust hole you could put you fist in and this was causing the smoke.

i have also heard of white smoke coming from oil it just depends on what type of oil you use for example my motorbike makes white smoke just when i start it and i is because the rings are worn and the oil is a very low vescotiy.

[Updated on: Sun, 26 December 2004 08:54]

73ke25
Regular

October 2003
Re: white smoke Sun, 26 December 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More then likely turbo seals . Theres a few variations of white smoke, oil burning a blue color is hardly noticable between white and blue. maybe check the turbines of the turbos to see if they are wet / oily. You might find that one is far worse then the other.
chrislux
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: white smoke Sun, 26 December 2004 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my old camry blew white smoke, water from a broken head gasket. it was barley visible, just a whispy white sorta thing
73ke25
Regular

October 2003
Re: white smoke Sun, 26 December 2004 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not saying its not any of the above , but just with turbo cars its a fairly common thing.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: white smoke Mon, 27 December 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it only happens when you first start the car after it has been sitting for a while then it is probably your valve stem seals.
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: white smoke Mon, 27 December 2004 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like valve stem seals... If its the head gasket it blows white smoke (steam oll the time)... I know I just blew my head gasket on the water jackets...My car use to do it on start up ass well but since I repaired the head gasket i put new valve stem seals and its as good as new... You don't have to do it but as it makes no difference to your performance...its just that the engine are still 16 years old no matter the kays...As long as its not blowing the white smoke after the start up when you free rev it or drive it she will be fine for a while..
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: white smoke Mon, 27 December 2004 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn spelling..its should be as well not ass well... Embarassed
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: white smoke Mon, 27 December 2004 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If its valve stem seals you may find that putting in a slightly thicker oil (e.g. ?W60 instead of ?W50) will lessen the smoke.

Doing this is just a bandaid fix though as eventually even the thicker oil will get through the seals.
1ggte89
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: white smoke Tue, 28 December 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
say it is the valve stem seals or even the tturbo seals are these high cost repairs?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: white smoke Wed, 29 December 2004 11:42 Go to previous message
1ggte89 wrote on Tue, 28 December 2004 19:00

say it is the valve stem seals or even the tturbo seals are these high cost repairs?

If you do it yourself... no not really.
Turbo seal and bearing overhaul will probably be around the $300 mark.
Valve stem seals = a new head gasket and the seals themselves... maybe $200-250ish DIY.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:High Pressure / Hydraulic Hoses
Next Topic:Inherited dodgy conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 23:01:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055129528045654 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.