Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 03:02 Go to next message
Just curious of opinions.
Say a 3s compared to a 1g, or is there a better comparison?

What I am most intersted in is how they perform against each other in acceleration...
When people get cars dyno'd etc, is there a graph that maps acceleration? What is it called? May sound silly but I damn don't know!!!! All I know/hear about is the kw and nm reading outputs...
Anyone have printout for the listed engines?
  Send a private message to this user    
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no_tofu_speed wrote on Sun, 26 December 2004 14:02

Just curious of opinions.
Say a 3s compared to a 1g, or is there a better comparison?

What I am most intersted in is how they perform against each other in acceleration...
When people get cars dyno'd etc, is there a graph that maps acceleration? What is it called? May sound silly but I damn don't know!!!! All I know/hear about is the kw and nm reading outputs...
Anyone have printout for the listed engines?

id say this would be a bit hard to compare.
cause other than the same capacity they have nothing in common
1g has 2 small turbo's so that would lead you to assume it spools onto boost quicker, more cylinders so would assume produce more torque. not sure about overall power.
when comparing there are a few things i can think of to consider.
age of the engine(can find a newer less k's 3s gte)
packaging/weight(3s should be lighter by a decent ammount)
when looking at total power output, it depends what mods you plan as to which would be the better engine
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just how exactly does more cylinders produce more torque when both engines are of the same displacement?

This is a common misconeception associated with engines. More cylinders does not mean more torque, it means a smoother power delivery.

The only reason i can think for more cylinders being able to produce more power would be because the stroke would be shorter, thus being able to rev higher and produce more power because power = torque x rpm.

But if the rev limitations are the same i can see now way that more cylinders would produce more power.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i actually have no idea why i said that.. lol
LEX-80Y
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, extra cylinders does provide smoother power delivery...

For Torque and Power, The Best Comparison for this would be between a 2 Litre 4 Cylinder engine, and a 2 Litre 6 Cylinder Engine, same age with no other technological advancements such as VVT-i or Turbo/Super:

3S-GE (2L 4Cyl)
1G-GE (2L 6 Cyl)

or

SR20DE (2L 4Cyl)
RB20DE (2L 6Cyl)

[Updated on: Sun, 26 December 2004 08:13]

TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ARGHAGHARGHGAR u said the SR20, RB20 word, NAUGHTY BAD BAD BAD
BIG guy
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^^^^ and he called an rb20 a 4 cyclinder Laughing

very very naughty Surprised
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BIG Guy u also use the RB20 word... U r also very NAUGHTY AND BAD
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_Supra wrote on Sun, 26 December 2004 18:01

BIG Guy u also use the RB20 word... U r also very NAUGHTY AND BAD

bad naughty bad bad *raves on* ..... etc
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
back to the topic...

6cyl = 3 combustion events per crank rotation
4cyl = 2 combustion events per crank rotation

smoothness has to be a factor in that somewhere?

6 cyl tend to produce torque/power from an earlier point in the rev range, but unless both engine have similar head/valve/intake/exhaust design - you'll not get a useful comparison
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A 6 cyl 2 litre can be made to rev higher than a 4 due to less piston/valvetrain inertia.

Power in BHP = Torque in lbft x revs/5250.

More revs = more powah

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With more cylinders but the same capacity you can have a much shorter stroke Wink hello revie engine Very Happy

Also straight 6 cylinders are better balanced (they are naturally balanced), straight 4's on the other hand require a balance bar. This is the reason that BMW', mercs and what not are big fans of straight 6's Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More cylinders = more revvy?
Hmmmm a V block with 8 cylinders isnt very revvy, and some 4age variants love to rev.......
Confused....

Hmm can anyone answer my Q on acceleration please, and how to measure.

And 1g and 3s were just base examples I know u have the twin turbo or supercharger for the 1g and the 3s were just NA or single CT26 or that other one on the newer ones lol
Moonbreaker
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the thing to look for when you want to know how revvy an engine is the bore to stroke ratio, having a higer bore and less stroke leads to a oversquare engine which revs much more easily. as for v8 engines the usual strokes are still big as heck due to the large displacements they had. if the same despacement would be placed in a v12 same piston bore less stroke it would rev better. im not quite sure but i think you can produce more torque with a longer stroke and mroe hp with a larger bore, so a balance must be met when making an engine
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most diesel engines that are designed to produce torque, ie generators, have a really long stroke and just choonkachoonkachoonka at really low rpm's all day long

but on the hand a yamaha WR426 have a huge diameter piston and a really short stroke and revo out to infinite Razz and have lots of power

thats what im led to belive anyway, correct me if im rong

brett
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no_tofu_speed wrote on Sun, 26 December 2004 20:50

More cylinders = more revvy?
Hmmmm a V block with 8 cylinders isnt very revvy, and some 4age variants love to rev.......
Confused....

Hmm can anyone answer my Q on acceleration please, and how to measure.

Ok, you're being very obtuse here. I presume you're refering to big Holden/Ford V8s. These engines have capacities in excess of 5 litres (big and heavy pistons,valves,etc), and the POS in the Holden uses pushrods. These motors are therefore not inclined to rev.

Catheram have just produced a prototype 2 litre V8, made using Yamaha motorbike heads. It makes 340bhp at 10,250 rpm and 190lb ft from 7000 - 7800 rpm. It can rev to 15,000 rpm but they decided that 340bbhp was enough.

Now, this is a lot of power (170 bhp per litre, compared to a 3sge's 70 bhp per litre), but it's produced at very high revs. You couldn't simply put this V8 into a car the size of a celica and expect it to be practical - you'd have to rev it's tits off to get anywhere.

Catheram can get away with it 'cos their car is very light and doesn't require a lot of bottom end torque to get it moving.
The 3sge doesn't produce the same amount of power, but it makes a lot more torque where it counts for lugging around a 1000+ kg car.

What a rant. Am I way off topic? Too much beer.

P.S.
Can you clarify acceleration q?
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
back to the 1st question, ill say that I4 is better than I6.

ppl have been playin with rb20 and sr20 for long long time. in most cases the sr20s r faster.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhh, lots of input.
Clarifying the acceleration question.
One question was, is there a dyno graph of some sort that records this (the following question) if so what is it called.

........ Just after passage I typed of rambing (and erased) and thinking. The acceleration I was thinking of as an engine in a car, is more reliant on gear changes transmision ratio etc.

All in all, ignoring the small weight difference, and forced induction type... Was thinkin on which had quicker acceleration, as in from zero and climbing.... a straight 4 or 6.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Sun, 26 December 2004 22:55

back to the 1st question, ill say that I4 is better than I6.

ppl have been playin with rb20 and sr20 for long long time. in most cases the sr20s r faster.

here come the nissan motors again.

from ure 1st post, kw is KiloWatts the measure of power
nm is newton metres (i think) and its the measure of torque
torque is the amount of turning force given off at any tangent on the wheel (or something like that)

so if ure car has heaps of torque, u couldn't really find a difference from when u are driving down the road without towing a trailer and when u were driving down the road towing a 3 tonne trailer because the motor has the torque to keep the wheels turning

[Updated on: Sun, 26 December 2004 12:24]

no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea I meant in my first post, when people tlak about a cars stats from dyno testing, the output in form of kw and torque in nm is usually given but not its acelerating ability.

Anyways bleh forget all my ramblings........
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The KW graph or HP graph shows you where the car makes power correct?

newtons laws, force = mass x acceleration

so basicly where the car makes the most power is where it will accelerate the greatest
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you talk about a car having good torque, what you really mean is it has good low down power, as torque only rotates the crankshaft and power is what moves your car. A road car needs low down power to make it useable. I mean where do most people spend all their time? Up to about 3000rpm? That's why VTEC, VVT-i and other variable timing/advance/lift methods are popular. You can have a car tuned for low RPM, and high RPM.

If you got a 2000cc 4 cyl engine, then get another one and attached 2 extra cylinders then reduced the stroke to 2000ccs again, the engines should produce the same power. The 6 would be smoother, but the 4 would have better power to weight as it's lighter (And thusly giving a better front/rear weight balance for your car). If you then however, re-adjusted the redline on the 6 cylinder, you should find it can rev out a little higher now, and thusly will make more power, and so you should re-design the head and crankshaft for this, thusly making the two engines totally different again. All things being equal, the 6 cylinder should make more power, similar torque, and rev higher, while the 4s advantage will be weight.

Look at engines like the Ferrari 3.6 liter V8 that makes it's max power of 294kw at a heady 8500 rpm. It achieves this by having a bore of 85mm and stroke of 79mm, not to mention a whole host of technology such as variable valve timing and strong internals to take the high RPM. To compare, a SR20 has a bore x stroke of 86 x 86, as does the 2JZ and 3S, and a 4A-GE has 81 x 77.

Anyway, that's a pretty high RPM to be having your power band, but it still has good drivability, as it's max torque is 373nm at 4750rpm which is equal to 185kw at 4750rpm. All that pushes only 1350kg of car. Once again, to compare a R33 Skyline GTS-T has 183kw and weighs in at 1360kg. Similar power to weight figures, however the Ferrari makes it at max torque, then goes on to make a shit load more power.

A dyno shows you power figures of the engine, not how well the whole car performs. There is a test that can be done to show acceleration. Go to the track and whip out some Quarter Mile times. That's a good test of acceleration.

End rant.

Edited: Damned Word and it's not using standard apostrophe characters.

[Updated on: Sun, 26 December 2004 17:36]

Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As probably mentioned above, if the heads are much the same and everything - apart from the number of cylinders - is the same, then the engines will make very much the same power.
However, this isn't likely in the real world as the six will likely have smaller bores and so smaller valves, etc.
There's generally a benefit in having a bigger bore/shorter stroke, so that may tend to favour the four.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and the test you speak of that tests acceleration is called the quarter mile Razz
LEX-80Y
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Sun, 26 December 2004 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From HSC Calculus, I recall that Accelleration is measured by

(d^2)x/(dt)^2

so just punch that into ure calculator while ure driving Very Happy
BIG guy
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Mon, 27 December 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm...i get so confused wit this stuff!!!!!

is it power or torque u neeed to "win" drags (not in a drag car terms but as in street car

wots the go??

sorry if it a bit off topic

cheers
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Tue, 28 December 2004 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BIG guy wrote on Tue, 28 December 2004 00:44

hmm...i get so confused wit this stuff!!!!!

is it power or torque u neeed to "win" drags (not in a drag car terms but as in street car

Both. Low torque (ie, lots of torque at low RPM) will give you a good launch, but once your into your power band, the car with the better power/weight will catch up. Depends how fast you wanna get to. A Honda Integra may not launch as well as a VN Commodore, but it should catch up by end of second gear (just guessing here, so don't jump down my throat if I'm wrong). Then it would blow passed by end of 3rd.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Tue, 28 December 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
low torque will not necessarily give you a good launch too much of it will see you having poor traction and not being able to launch the car at full throttle unless you have the desire to sit there wheelspinning that is. And if your racing, you would just bring teh revs up to the desired rpm in whatever car you are in and dump the clutch.
Also around the high end of third gear I'd tip the commodore to start actually catching the integra as its higher amount of torque makes it easier to overcome the effects of wind resistance etc.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 4cyl Vs 6 cyl (same displacement) Wed, 29 December 2004 12:24 Go to previous message
well first of all I must say this is a pretty stupid comparison.

I didn't think the the Intergas had a 3.8L 4-cyl?? (ok now I am being sarcastic)

I think a VTEC Honda would piss ball any V6 Buick powered VN especally the newer ones. I know there is a fair bit of Honda bashing being done (ricers, not normal ones) but you have to admit for a little 4 cyl to be so rev happy and keep on gainning in high revs is pretty impressive, as for the V6 Commodore in manaul form I think 2nd gear would be the only gear that would give it a run. the VN in auto form the Honda has already won.

back to the subject at hand 2L (4cyl vs 6cyl)

it all depends on what you want really? for more torque (which is what wins you races Very Happy ) go for the a motor with the bigger stroke, bigger motor or more cylinders does not nesserially mean bigger stroke, (eg; 202 blue compared to a 3S-FE). I have to agree with Moonbreaker on the subject. the bigger the bore the more hp and the bigger the stroke the more torque. find out these and the weight of the motors and you will find the answer. (you can moddify the 4-cyl block to meet your requirements if you have to or put a turbo on it!)
oh if its a burnout car I'd go for power! Evil or Very Mad

[Updated on: Wed, 29 December 2004 12:27]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Need some pictures
Next Topic:I need a specific part that wreckers couldn't give a toss about.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 20:19:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066139698028564 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.