Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Toyota in the V8 Supercars?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sojourner
Occasional Poster

December 2004
icon14.gif  Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Sun, 26 December 2004 22:19 Go to next message
With the mention of V8 supercar racing in here, have any of you heard where Toyota are at with their entry? I know that Ford and Holden are adamant that they do not want Toyota or Mitsubishi to be involved.

I read in the paper that Toyota had applied to join, yet there is never anything concrete about whether they can or not. The representative for Holden suggested that the general public would not be all that interested in seeing "V8 Camry's" racing.

That would be awesome to see if you ask me, the Camry could be similar to the Torana, 4, 6, or 8. The problem with V8 Supercar racing is that the development as far as faster lap times is a little slow, put Toyota in the middle of it and I am thinking it would change pretty quick! Cool

[Updated on: Sun, 26 December 2004 22:19]

Send a private message to this user    
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Sun, 26 December 2004 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont get me wrong im a mad toyota fan but it took many years to find parity between the ford and holdens for example skafe romped the championship for many years and now ford are just getting even. in some cases its still not even for example there is only only about 2 ford teams able of winning but there are about 4-5 holden teams wich are on the pace that can win. if you put another car in the mix it would be to hard to find an equil balance between a camery, commodore and a falcon unless you put the same motor in all of them, same splitters and just a slightly diffirent shell.
Mello
Newcomer

December 2004
Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Sun, 26 December 2004 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it is highly unlikely that they will bring back A class racing after holden + ford chickened out of it decades ago. If they allowed japanese makes again id love to see that Very Happy see how much the market price and demand of holden + ford drops mwuhahahah but then jap cars will go up Sad . What really ticks me off is the overall emphasis of supercars racing. So much glamour for supercars and its only just 2 makes (ie channel 10 = glamorous with its sports.) In my opinion there should be more variety of racing. not just the usual holden + ford. I know there is the century races and stuff on ABC but serious wheres the fun in watching fuzzy channel. its just like putting all soccer on sbs Confused wheres the fun in that?

[Updated on: Sun, 26 December 2004 23:16]

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Sun, 26 December 2004 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what they need to do is bring celsiors or chasers here and use that bodyshell with a v8.
ford and holden are still suffering from all those years ago
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Mon, 27 December 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Really it would just be a matter of a body shell, all the other running gear would pretty much have to be the same as the existing makes.
Brendan
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Mon, 27 December 2004 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are 4 basic rules for a Manufacturer to enter the V8 Supercar series,

1) Must be Australian made

2) Must be rear wheel drive

3) Must be V8 powered

4) Must be sold to the mass market

..Now as there are only 2 manufacturers in Aust that meet these criteria, there are only two manufacturers in the series, so don't expect to see Toyota or Mitsubishi in for a while.

It's funny to here people say "bring back the Jap cars, see how fast they would be then"......."there should be more variety yuda yuda yuda".

Here is a simple rule that any successful businessman knows, to make a healthy profit create something that 50 out of 100 people would want, not 5 out of 100. As motorsport is the same, it applies here too.

I remember going to watch a round of the Group A's over here in WA (all manufacturers were involved), we got into the track 10 mins before the race, watched it from the pits (read not many people) and there were 8 cars on the grid, not a very successful formula hence the reason they died a slow and painful death.

Enter the Super Tourers, they were based on the popular British formula and were billed as the next big thing in Australian motorsport and were expected to kill the V8 Supercars off. They disappeared too.

The V8 Supercars - I went to the last round here in Perth, there were 35,000 people there, we had to get in 4 hours before the first race otherwise we were parking on the street, and we ended up paying to get into a grandstand otherwise we couldn't see.
Everyother round is the same, States back their rounds (Adelaide, Darwin), other countries want rounds (Malaysia, South Africa, Dudai), and it's already gone to two other countries (China, New Zealand).

Why is this formula so popular? because everyone can relate to it, 5 year olds can pick the difference between a Falcon and Commodore on the race track because their dads drive them, people that aren't even remotely interested in cars know what a Falcon and Commodore look like, they are the two biggest sellers in the country, every aftermarket manufacturers start (well mostly) with Holden and Ford parts, this creates spectators which inturn creates sponsors.

In a business world, whats going to make you more money, V8 Supercars (50 out of 100)? or a field or Cefiros, Chasers and Aristos (5 out of 100)?
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Mon, 27 December 2004 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would be more interested in the talk of the JGTCC coming to australia for a round Very Happy
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Mon, 27 December 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
exacly as toyota dont mass produce any v8 in australia. if they brought one out that came in either a sport-evo or gt version than there would be no reason to not let them in as they would meet the criteria
McFly
Newcomer

December 2004
Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Mon, 27 December 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

WOW! Imagine a RWD...V8 Powered Camry!! Haha. That would be an interesting race!

If such a vehicle entered into V8 Supercar Racing, would that mean they have to produce that vehicle for the commercial market?

Thankyou.
McFly.
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Mon, 27 December 2004 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a v8 toyota chaser would be cheaper Smile
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Mon, 27 December 2004 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8 Soarer is there and ready to go... just rip out all the luxury crap and the car will weigh 500kg less Wink
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Mon, 27 December 2004 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i reckon it would be great seeing the two door monaros and soarers take on the falcons. id really like to see a soarer done up in supercar spec i reckon it would look mint. just as long as they dont make it too ricy.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Mon, 27 December 2004 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love watching the V8 supercars but seriously... V8 supercars are like the funny cars at the drags... superficially they look similar to the road going cars but beyond that they have absolutely nothing in common!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Mon, 27 December 2004 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isnt theer a rule stipulating they have to be 4 door?
Brendan
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Mon, 27 December 2004 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soarer wrote on Mon, 27 December 2004 14:18

V8 Soarer is there and ready to go... just rip out all the luxury crap and the car will weigh 500kg less Wink

You missed this rule.....

Brendan wrote on Mon, 27 December 2004 09:06

There are 4 basic rules for a Manufacturer to enter the V8 Supercar series,

1) Must be Australian made

2) Must be rear wheel drive

3) Must be V8 powered

4) Must be sold to the mass market

Jag7799 wrote on Mon, 27 December 2004 15:41

isnt theer a rule stipulating they have to be 4 door?

Sorry missed that point myself, there are 5 simple rules (hence the reason you don't see any Monaros racing).

b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Mon, 27 December 2004 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyota does have some factories in aus. so it could be "Australian made" as well. all they need to do is assemble the bloody car here to be called aus made.

on the other hand, im sure v8 supercars would come out with another rule keeping toyota out. its a business move like somebody mentioned earlier..
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Tue, 28 December 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brendan wrote on Tue, 28 December 2004 03:04

I was just commenting on the Soarer already having a V8 and being RWD, compared to the post above mine which suggested a Chaser Confused
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Tue, 28 December 2004 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soarer wrote on Tue, 28 December 2004 22:39

Brendan wrote on Tue, 28 December 2004 03:04

I was just commenting on the Soarer already having a V8 and being RWD, compared to the post above mine which suggested a Chaser Confused

chaser has 4 doors and is a more conventional shape to fit a supercar
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Wed, 29 December 2004 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meh, a Lexus V8 Supercar would do me. Just start assembling LS430's here, they weigh about the same as the V8 Falcon road cars, strip out the luxury bit, and you'd have a decent platform to work from Smile
davedrifts
Regular

Banned User

September 2004
Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Wed, 29 December 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah, screw the jap scene off, V8 supercars are all about ford n holden and its great racing, bring in other manufacturers and it will become another league of racing like all the other production style racing out there.
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Wed, 29 December 2004 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont be surprised if you see toyota racing in a couple of years time, as Toyota are buying the the chassis sub frame's for the next Avalon off Holden, so they will be RWD.

BTW under project blueprint they all now run the same motors and suspension to it wouldnt be hard for Toyota to enter.

Ben.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Wed, 29 December 2004 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86trueno wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 12:27

as Toyota are buying the the chassis sub frame's for the next Avalon off Holden, so they will be RWD.

I sincerely hope that its the chassis from the VE Commodore.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Wed, 29 December 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 15:30

as Toyota are buying the the chassis sub frame's for the next Avalon off Holden, so they will be RWD.

why
?
pr1nce
Regular

April 2004
Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Wed, 29 December 2004 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why don't we just start a toyota versus nissan championship then

1. must be jap
2. must be RWD
3. who gives a shit how many doors it has
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Wed, 29 December 2004 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 15:40

why
?

Because its actually good as opposed to the circa early 1980's their current model has.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Wed, 29 December 2004 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 19:05

Jag7799 wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 15:40

why
?

Because its actually good as opposed to the circa early 1980's their current model has.

good compared to what though
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota in the V8 Supercars? Wed, 29 December 2004 08:16 Go to previous message
Anything. It's a proper suspension setup, similar to that in the Cadillac CTS. Basically Holden were given the role of developing a cheaper version of it along the same lines.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what bodykit is this ???
Next Topic:Good Panelbeater N/W Sydney - covered before?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:36:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064098834991455 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.