Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Mon, 04 November 2002 00:26 Go to next message
Ok,
After working on a freinds supra (7m) and replacing the motor to find out the new one is rooted...
I vote the 7m to be the worst engine ever made by toyota..
I know they can make good power..
But realistically out of the factory they are unreliable.
HG's ... Cylinder 6 over heating.. Big end bearings..

Dont wanna start a war.. everyone say what you think is the worst and why? Cant be because of lacking power.. must be reliablity issues..

Send a private message to this user    
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Mon, 04 November 2002 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I vote the XT130 Corona with the misfire 4.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Mon, 04 November 2002 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My GF's corona, there was 3 different engines in the one year, none of them are compatable, and they all suck.

she's got a 2.4L efi thing, blown the HG 3 times in 6 months. has been going for 6 months now though.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Mon, 04 November 2002 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3VZ-FE 1996 Toyota Vienta 3.0L

This piece of crap destroyed itself at 60,000km.
Snapped 2 conrods, smashed 12 holes through the block, and cracked the block into 3 pieces.

I was driving at 70km/h doing around 5,000rpm at the time.
Tank
Regular

June 2002

Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Mon, 04 November 2002 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think one of the most RELIABLE Toyota engines would have to be the 2c-s or is it 2s-c *shrug*, It is the 2l 4 banner out of the 86 corona. The engine is tough as nails, takes a good boot full of revs and not once have i had the car of the road for more then a couple of days (normally due to other things). still kicking hard at 250000 Wink
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Mon, 04 November 2002 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hkspete.... your gf must have had a bad one. that's the 22R-E, and everyht9ing I've heard of it says it's big, noisy, chews petrol, and never dies

mine's at 220 000km, thrashed for a lot of that, and it's still going strong apart from some oil burning.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Mon, 04 November 2002 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah most reliable would have to be a 3K....lol old push rod gotta love it.

And yeah the 7M isn't the best of Toyota's motors Sad
(Apparently those 3VZ-FE's are dodge too..)

Cheers
Wilbo
RA23_Sean
Regular

May 2002

Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Mon, 04 November 2002 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the 1X Starfire motor. But what do you expect from 2/3 of a Holden pushrod six?
ma61_turbo
Regular

June 2002

Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Mon, 04 November 2002 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, the 7m isn't as bad as all that, it's not design per se, just headbolt specs. And since when does it have big end bearing issues? I've been on two supra lists for 3 and a half years now, and have not once come across a big end failure in a 7m.

But yeah, it is pretty iffy in factory specs, so I'd vote for that, even tho I chose to put one in my car, hrmmm Wink
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Mon, 04 November 2002 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I vote the 1UZ as the MOST reliable...Apparently they have seen examples in the 'States which have done 1 million miles BEFORE needing a re-build Smile and they apparently tested these (prior to releasing them) by strapping one (in a car) to a dyno and running it at the equivalent of 240KP/H...For 87,000kms continuously!!! Shocked

Of course I'm a little, well...(look at my username Laughing )
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Mon, 04 November 2002 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tanman wrote on Mon, 04 November 2002 12:07

I vote the XT130 Corona with the misfire 4.

I second that!!!!Stupid holden crap!
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Mon, 04 November 2002 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been getting reports from the local Toyota/Lexus dealer on how *un*reliable the 1UZ is Sad
He was actually pleased that I bought a 1JZ Soarer over the 1UZ version.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Mon, 04 November 2002 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ask the guys at a lexus dealer they'll tell you usually the biggest job they ever have to do on a 1UZ is replace the rear main seal.

i vote for 1X missfire motor, where the hell do holden get their engineers from?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Mon, 04 November 2002 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1X misfire........daylight......7M
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Mon, 04 November 2002 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ohh i forgot to say, a friend of the family did his mechanic apprenticship at a toyota dealer, he was telling me that they used to get XT coronas in all the time (when they were new) and some came in that didnt have head gaskets!!

does anyone know if they ever used blind monkeys to build cars?

Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Mon, 04 November 2002 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M definately,

I am so pissed with 7M's atm, Dads cressida has blown 2 HG's in 5000 k's. It is babied like no other car. Has the best of everything.

It has only done 88000 k all up !!!

The most original and immaculate mx83 grande I have seen.

The first gasket, 1 week after he bought it was fixed under warranty, now a couple of months later it has fucked up again.
Wont know the damage till tomorrow.

Even though I passed on the correct torque specs and everything to the mechanic, who by the way is no shonky dude, i trust him with all our high performance cars, We put a lot of work through that shop !!

Sorry 7m guys , just pissed!!!

Matt

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Mon, 04 November 2002 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd take the 1jz anyhows... prefer the engine
admittedly the 1UZ-FTE has a certain appeal...
BoB_JonEz
Regular

August 2002

Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Mon, 04 November 2002 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm, i know this thread is for unreliable toyo engines, but I haven't had any problems with engines since i got rid of the commodore (when it left, it had 1.5x a missfire 4 in it)

the datsun L18 managed to get my datsun to 170kph through the northbridge tunnel with a 4speed.

my brothers 3k(?) 1.5L ke30 managed 150kph out towards beechboro

and the 7m in my mx83 has handled the hiding i give it for the last 5k without any problems at all (engine problems that is).

I'm sure the headgasket will go soon though, just because I've posted this Smile
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Mon, 04 November 2002 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unreliable toyota motor - i don't know what the designation of it is - but its found in landcruiser diesels - the one that shits the bearings and has the oil pickup fault.

cost my old boss $10k to fix his dead motor. now thats fucked.
wizzfizz2097
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Tue, 05 November 2002 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whatever was in my 2L '86 corona, that thing was fucked, it would scream at anything over 4,000 rpm, blew 2 head gaskets in the year i had it. mind you it did have enough power to step out the back end (somehow its very easy in a wagon)
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Tue, 05 November 2002 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 1X Crapfire... eat's water, fuel and oil, and Nothing can be done with them
Thermactor
Occasional Poster

October 2002

Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Tue, 05 November 2002 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.thermactor.com/files/pages/Gallery/Sept02/3b.jpg
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Tue, 05 November 2002 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we should challenge JUN to do something good with the "1X crapfire" .... I'm sure they could get it kicking out some monstrous amount of HP Razz
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Tue, 05 November 2002 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But charge you mega bucks for the privilege Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Tue, 05 November 2002 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well yeah
although they did tune up some little piece of crap (cant remember what it was), just to prove they could do it.
got a 150% power gain, or something silly like that. without forced induction.
Insane Sx
Regular

August 2002

Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Tue, 05 November 2002 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How do the 100kw 4AGE engine hold up?

Mine seems to be bloody indestrucktable (the main engine part anwyays)

Pissing oil
Running on NO OIL for weeks at a time (and being revved to 7800)
It ran without much water for a long time, didnt even hit the red line in temp!

hehe

im supprised?

any examples of them being weak..? I know Ben's one died, but it was the older 4age and was stuffed b4 he bort it
fOOZ86
Regular

May 2002
Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Tue, 05 November 2002 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had a fair few probs with my import 4ag. but it seems to be all sorted now.. running better than ever!

One rebuild, fan popping off twice (and cutting up two radiators).. front seals, dizzy seal..

I'll be gettin a new radiator soon with electronic fan so after that it should be perfect and reliable at high rpm.

for awhile there, I thought the 4ag could've been one of the most unreliable engines out of toyota!

(experience with 3k/4ac/4ag).

My 4ac died a horrid death (siezed) after 260,000 k's.. ran perfect upto then tho.

the 3k well, my grandpa got it from new, then onto an uncle then onto me.. the k's clocked over once or twice and the thing just wouldn't die! it's still going strong today!
pmc213
Newcomer

September 2002
Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Wed, 06 November 2002 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what I have seen in my workshop i would say that the 7M would have to be the most unreliable simply because no matter how well they are looked after they are guaranteed to either blow a head gasket or do bottom end bearings no matter how many k's they have done.But those camry motors are shocking too Smile
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Thu, 07 November 2002 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most RELIABLE engine ever... 3K!!! Very Happy i will swear by the above testimony that these anchors are the worlds most unbreakable POS engine! 1.2L pushrod HEAVEN!
they actually arent THAT bad when matched to a 5sp (like i have Razz )
[TOYROTA]
Regular

July 2002
Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Wed, 11 December 2002 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have nooo idea what you guys are going on about??? You all reckon the starefire is un-reliable, yet i have been hillclimbing my corona for 5 years now strapping the absolute shit out of it, and i haven't had a problem yet! Sure i have to agree it chews more fuel, water and oil than i chew food, but i have never had a "reliability" problem with it yet. And b4 anyone tries to suggest i drive like a girl, i'll kindly inform them that i have actually blown both the BORGE WARNER diff (one tooth)AND have stuffed the 2nd gear syncro in the corona 4speed box! Mostly from snapping second gear while on a 'strap-fest' than the actual hillclimbing itself. ohh and did i mention i've snapped four axels? (however that has a lot to do with the current locked centre) I know this just sounds like a driveline thrashing test, but beleive me the motor has copped a hiding during all of this. As i also used to use it for bush bashing, most of the suspension was bent before i realised it didn't have an air-filter in the box Confused haha and after inhailing all that crap it's still going strong(ish). Fuck it's slow but.

And onto the second part of the question, i'd have to say that the most reliable engine i've come across sofar is whatever is in the KE70 corolla. I was given an example that housed the remains of it's oil rings in the sump, therefore i couldn't remain stationary for very long before the entire cabin filled with smoke and i choked to death! Obviously not one for the road, i took to the bush for months on end, topping the oil up more regularily than the petrol, seriously, it was soo bad. i strapped the crap out of that too as it was pretty much a shell on wheels, and after over 4 months of driving with no rings (the compression was that bad that when you let the clutch out to bump start it on gravel, the wheels wouldn't even lock up),i ended up selling it for $200 and it was still running exactly the same as it had been the first day i got it. By the way it's top speed was around 54 to 56km/h so even as a bush basher it wasn't much fun, it pretty much stopped if you hit some loose sand lol.

Anyway that's my story.
turbokid
Regular

May 2002
Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Wed, 11 December 2002 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in defense to the 7m mine has done over 230k and i swear has not done a big end or a hg. the gasket has been changed though for security but it hasnt blown one yet. and the reason they blow im pretty sure is that their was a typo in all service books or what ever, anyway the bolts need to be tighter than they are.
turbokid
Regular

May 2002
Re: POLL!!! Most unreliable Toyo Engine ever! Wed, 11 December 2002 12:29 Go to previous message
in defense to the 7m mine has done over 230k and i swear has not done a big end or a hg. the gasket has been changed though for security but it hasnt blown one yet. and the reason they blow im pretty sure is that their was a typo in all service books or what ever, anyway the bolts need to be tighter than they are.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:my aw11 bodykit so far.................
Next Topic:Pennant Hills Rd speed cameras
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 17:39:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064017772674561 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.