Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
daantjie
Newcomer

May 2004
icon5.gif  Not starting when hot Sun, 26 December 2004 19:15 Go to next message
Hi guys

I have this recurring problem on my '89 Red and Black top 4A-GE Twincam Corolla. When the motor is hot from driving on the freeway, and I switch off and want to start it again shortly therafter (e.g. stopping at the filling station), the starter fails to turn, not even a click!

Then after cooling down it starts just fine. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Cheers!
  Send a private message to this user    
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: Not starting when hot Sun, 26 December 2004 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds strange.
I'd have a look at the battery clamps and make sure their making good contact in case their causing some resistance. Then every possible connection between the battery and starter. If you cant find the problem, you might drive it locally with your tools in the car until the problem occurs and then start testing. I can probly give you a bit of a guide but i'm sure theres more qualified people on the forum.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Not starting when hot Mon, 27 December 2004 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
starter motor solenoid is stuffed or being affected by the heat.

check wiring to starter motor for heat damage and re-route where required?

battery terminal corrosion tends to manifest itself when engien is cold - but now's a good opportunity to clean them anyway
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Not starting when hot Mon, 27 December 2004 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What the chuckster said... The solenoid is not engaging the starter motor or you not getting any power to the selenoid..It could be that your solenoid is stuffed... or the heat melted the wires somehwere...Make sure you wiring is away from high temp items...if you can't avoid it just build a heat shield out of stainless steel around the starter...
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Not starting when hot Mon, 27 December 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On my old ss commo this used to occur and still does.

My mechanic says it is because the extractors run soooo close to the starter and when the starter gets real hot from the extractors it draws heaps more current to activate the starter.

To make it better, although rather inadvertantly, i have now got an oddysey battery that has 650 cold cranking amps and hence is a much stronger battery.

Now when the car gets hot and i try to start it it still struggles a little but is much better.

So yeah like the others said check out sources of heat and the solenoid.

Jezza

McFly
Newcomer

December 2004
Re: Not starting when hot Mon, 27 December 2004 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

It's either your "Starter Motor Solenoid" or your wiring harness that goes from your ignition key to your starter.

Try either replacing the solenoid, or try installing a relay in between your ignition and the starter.

The latter method fixed the problem on my vehicle.

Thankyou.
McFly.
daantjie
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: Not starting when hot Mon, 27 December 2004 07:53 Go to previous message
Hi guys

Thanks a heap for all the tips! Have been thinking of fitting a heat shield to the starter, because it IS dangerously close to the exhaust manifold. Will definitely also inspect the wires running to the solenoid.

Much appreciated

Cheers!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:6M on 5M EFI
Next Topic:Internal wastegate too small!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:40:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046319961547852 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.