Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RDA Slotted Rottors 2CM Smaller than Stockersr??? WTF!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
suff
Regular

April 2004

RDA Slotted Rottors 2CM Smaller than Stockersr??? WTF! Sun, 26 December 2004 02:06 Go to next message
I have just purchased a set of RDA Slotted rotors and have found them to be a good 2CM smaller diametre .. Now, my basic physics knowledge says that bigger is better when it comes to brakes, so would after market performance rotors be smaller!

Send a private message to this user    
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: RDA Slotted Rottors 2CM Smaller than Stockersr??? WTF! Sun, 26 December 2004 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like you've been given the wrong parts?!
suff
Regular

April 2004

Re: RDA Slotted Rottors 2CM Smaller than Stockersr??? WTF! Sun, 26 December 2004 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no they are the right ones, they fit perfectly and i have checked the PN a couple fo times at different places! aparrently thats normal, i was just very suprised!
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: RDA Slotted Rottors 2CM Smaller than Stockersr??? WTF! Sun, 26 December 2004 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What car?
suff
Regular

April 2004

Re: RDA Slotted Rottors 2CM Smaller than Stockersr??? WTF! Sun, 26 December 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE112..

I have just finished whacking them on with a set of bendix Advance, so far very pleased, but they havent bedded them in yet, so just taking it easy... they are damn quite!
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: RDA Slotted Rottors 2CM Smaller than Stockersr??? WTF! Mon, 27 December 2004 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so you mean that almost 1cm on the top of the pad is not going to make contact with the rotor, or was that 1cm an unused/uncontacted portion on your old rotor.

diameter & leverage really help it do its job.
suff
Regular

April 2004

Re: RDA Slotted Rottors 2CM Smaller than Stockersr??? WTF! Mon, 27 December 2004 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its prob about 7-8mm yeah.. i didnt actually look once i had put the caliper back onto the rotor (too rushed) but when i had the old rotor off, I chucked the new rotor ontop of it and it is visabbly smaller. So far, they dont seem much better than stock, but I havent really nailed them. And I am also using fairly cheap pads... I have read lots of stories that EBC Greens hck up rotors, and considering this is ony a daily driver...
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: RDA Slotted Rottors 2CM Smaller than Stockersr??? WTF! Mon, 27 December 2004 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
having pad above the rotor is dangerous, and you have the wrong part. can you think of any car that comes stock with a pad that sits beyond the rotor?

also sound slike you need to do some research into pads... a disc is a disc and some are crap, but with pads there is a much larger range of great to crap.... crap pads = crap brakes.

i can't believe you didn't check if the pad was contacting the rotor properly!!!!!!!! what is going to stop you when your brakes fail?? the nearest power pole?
please take the time to do the safety things properly... or maybe you'll make the next Darwin awards Wink
Cya, Stewart
suff
Regular

April 2004

Re: RDA Slotted Rottors 2CM Smaller than Stockersr??? WTF! Tue, 28 December 2004 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stewart,

If you read the post, you would have noticed that i have checked 3 times that the rotors are the correct ones, I would say its safe to say that the pad is making full contact with the rotor, As some how I think that Companies like RDA and Bendix would probably do a bit of research before puttinga product on the market

All I said was I havent looked. As far as pads go, I have made my research, the car is not thrashed that hard, My mate has EBC Greens in his Esky and they have destroyed a set of rotors in under a year. Bendix Ult. make too much dust, and everyone comments on how crap they are nyway, all I am after is something that is going to provide better than OEM braking

And the fact that I did 20 X bed in for the pads, I think I would have noticed that they where not working...
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: RDA Slotted Rottors 2CM Smaller than Stockersr??? WTF! Tue, 28 December 2004 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i read your post.

did you not think that there may be slightly diffrent versions of your car with slightly different disc sizes?

regardless of what the parts books say, have you physically checked that the pads are making FULL contact with the rotors?
(EDIT: and there are even two different discs for the 1969 KE15 Razz, the PBR and the AKEBONO discs)

they won't bind or cause problems before the pads wear, but what about when pads are half worn, and you have 5mm of pad thickness rubbing on the top of the disc?

as for pads, read thru some of the 'brake clinic' posts at 'preformance forums', there are some excellent recommendations there.

it's not about whether they work or not, it's abotu whether they will stop working suddnely later Wink. just pull off a rim and visually check that the pads are in full contact with the rotors Very Happy
Cya, Stewart

[Updated on: Tue, 28 December 2004 01:03]

mycarhasposessedme
Regular

September 2003
Re: RDA Slotted Rottors 2CM Smaller than Stockersr??? WTF! Thu, 30 December 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Never heard of this one before.
Regardless of correct part number or not I would be taking them back and telling the supplier to use them as an uncomfortable suppository if you get my drift.
Look around till you find some the right size.
I would tend to think your original rotors were the correct fitment to the callipers and pads.
When in doubt measure.
If I had a dollar for every time some fuck wad told me somethin was the right part, but wasn't, I'd be rich.
I'll leave it at that.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: RDA Slotted Rottors 2CM Smaller than Stockersr??? WTF! Thu, 30 December 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds almost certainly like you have the wrong part. perhaps the correct part number stuck on the wrong disc ? but definantly you need the pad face in full contact with the rotor.

on your old rotors was there a lip around the outside where the pad was not in contact ? it will be pretty easy to see as there should be a noticibly unworn trackw around the outside. and if this track is the same size as the difference in rotor diameter then you will be fine. other then the fact that the larger rotor having a larger body of material will disperse heat better.

but definantly something is wrong..
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: RDA Slotted Rottors 2CM Smaller than Stockersr??? WTF! Thu, 30 December 2004 14:01 Go to previous message
Yep still sounds like you have the wrong parts. If you tell us you bought these from Supercrap, you deserve a Darwin award, when they eventually fuck up.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:I've lost the keys to my car?
Next Topic:Celica CV
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 17:14:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068719387054443 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.