Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Are Pod filters worth it ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 22 December 2004 07:42 Go to next message
I'm thinking of buying one for my new car is is worth it ????
do i need to tell my insurance place that i get one ?
or are there any quick bolt on things i could be doing instead of this.
i want something that is funtional not something like glowing squirters.

thanks people.

Oh and i live down a short dirt road if that affects anything.
  Send a private message to this user    
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 22 December 2004 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pods are show ponies ( Razz better remove mine) if installed properly they will make a difference, yes you will need to tell your insurance people, better off with a high flow panel filter with a good air feed, K&N is one company that makes panel filters for nearly any application.

Cheers

Steve
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 22 December 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Wed, 22 December 2004 17:42

Depends what you mean by "worth it". If you're talking about performance gains, the answer is definitely NO.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 22 December 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what will i get out of having one ????
86twinky
Regular

November 2003
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 22 December 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A bit of induction noise, and most likely a fine or two..
mikey93
Regular

December 2004
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 22 December 2004 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Wed, 22 December 2004 18:42

do i need to tell my insurance place that i get one ?
or are there any quick bolt on things i could be doing instead of this.
i want something that is funtional not something like glowing squirters.

thanks people.

Oh and i live down a short dirt road if that affects anything.

dirt + pod means you'll need to clean it regularly.

they only work in cold air located airs, right at the front near the air feed away from radiators and engine bay heat. and the only gain from them is throttle response.

like everyone says its upto you. try out a $20 pod there all the same. if you like the noise and the placebo effect.. then there you go. if not chuck it out or sell it to some 17 year old kid Razz
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 22 December 2004 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's what i figured they were for wank factor.
is there anything else i could do ?
Racing
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 22 December 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what donk is it going on?
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 22 December 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1GGTE
levos1
Regular

March 2003
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 22 December 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah..........

thats why u always see all the crazy Supras and GTRs and 350z's etc with all crazy worked engines, mad exhaust systems, but the stock plastic airbox left on!!!

I might just drop a little fact in here, My MR2 has the stock box on it and the rev limiter cut it off at 6800RPM!
I put the K&N filter on and it cut at 7200RPM!?!!!
Then i took one of the silencer boxes(Toyota Controlled Inlet System or whatever it stands for) off the intake pipe and it gets upto around 7500RPM!

This could be my car, It could be a freak occurence but iam telling it like it is...............!!

Anyways You cant go past the mad noise they make anyway!
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 22 December 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't want to be reving my car out that far!!! lol
a 2sc revs out to 7500
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 22 December 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A pod filter flows really well and will provide some sort of benefit, but only in the case where you've blocked it off from the heat of the engine bay and given it a nice cold air feed.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 22 December 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so right up at the grill ??
86twinky
Regular

November 2003
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 22 December 2004 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

thats why u always see all the crazy Supras and GTRs and 350z's etc with all crazy worked engines, mad exhaust systems, but the stock plastic airbox left on!!!

Generally they are trying to exctract every last kw they possibly can, thats why they use the pod filters.
Quote:

I might just drop a little fact in here, My MR2 has the stock box on it and the rev limiter cut it off at 6800RPM!

From my understanding the MR2's have an very restrictive intake setup from factory. You did no alter the rev limiter, that is a preset function in the ECU.. you simply removed a restriction which was preventing the engine from fully reving out.

Properly set up factory air boxes with sufficient cold air feed have been used with great success... they are also a lot more on the legal side of things than pod filters.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 December 2004 11:35]

manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Thu, 23 December 2004 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with the direction of the replies that a factory box is best and if the engine is modified or could benefit from a better flowing air box open it up on the inlet side while maintaning its cold air source and fit a better quality filter.
Alternatively a factory air box that will fit in your space that copmes from an engine which makes more power.
Many pods are fitted because it is the easiest solution for a conversion where there was not a suitable air box immediately available.This was my predicament.I have just completed a cool air case and feed for the pod filter.You can buy them,crap one [only for small flow] $140 and over engineered metal case for $400.
Again it comes down to Bling vs Function.If it does not need to be pretty its not hard to get cool air to your pod.ie 100mm ag pipe and a flower pot with a little foil coated insulwrap to protect it from heat plus a tube of silicon $20 plus an hour or so.
Or-Keep the INTERHEATER Laughing Cheers.Pete.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Thu, 23 December 2004 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone know of a newish model car with a big simple square air filter box?

Im doing a 1G -> RA28 conversion soon and using a stock air filter box instead of a boxed off pod might help with rego.

[Updated on: Thu, 23 December 2004 16:56]

Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Fri, 24 December 2004 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oi, pod filters are the shit!!! 50kw at the wheels gain, plus 100 drift bonus points!!

sure...

but seriously,
M.W.P. wrote on Fri, 24 December 2004 03:26

Im doing a 1G -> RA28 conversion soon and using a stock air filter box instead of a boxed off pod might help with rego.

if you're in Adelaide, as your location meter suggests, i think you'll find that pod filters are 100% legal. i've taken many a car thru Regency with everything from a $30 Simota to a Apexi Pod, and HKS Mushroom filters...NO WORRIES. i've even gotten cars off defect thru regency, that were defected for them...stupid SAPOL.

give Regency Park a call, you'll find i'm telling truths Very Happy
ask for vehicle standards division.

and dont say, 'oh, but my car is having an engine conversion, getting engineered, etc', cos it wont make a lick of difference, i've put a 4age powered ke30 thru, and a CA18DET powered 808, both with yes, you guessed it, POD FILTERS!!!!

DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Sat, 25 December 2004 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a pod and i have a induction pipe running air up to the pod, set up works good, throttle responce is better, and the obivious induction noise is there, when i get off my arse i will move that battery to the boot and box the pod. that might be a while working alot in the next couple of weeks, not to meantion i need to order my whiteline sway bars. as for the fines comment i haven't had any problems, but yeah my car is stock and will look stock atleast until i get time to box the pod.
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Sat, 25 December 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah and i will also like to say that there is a little bit of difference between the $20 supercheap ones and the $179 K&N extream flow pods(i got mine for $79 tho so it didn't bother me too much). i haven't tried the high flow pannel filters so i won't pass judgement on them.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Sat, 25 December 2004 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My intercooler piping prevents me from using anything but a pod... but I don't really mind having a pod filter, it's not like it's reduces performance Smile Confused

I got one of those K&N filters from autobarn on the cheap, they were on special... the adaptor plate cost me more I think Smile
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Sat, 25 December 2004 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the $20 super cheap pods!

but box it off and give it a cool air feed,

i had just pod filter hanging off the intake pipe in the engine bay and i measured the intake temp ($30 jaycar temp guage) on a 30c day just cruising around at 60Km/hr and the intake temp was 50-60c

i then boxed the filter up and sealed it, gave it a cool air feed from under the front bumper and ran the same tests and air intake temp was 35-40c. and you could feel the extra torque/response. a 4c decrease in intake temp gives about 1% more engine power, or so i have heard.

in a turbo car you want intake temps as low as possible to avoid detonation, plus your turbos gonna heat the air up a fair bit as well.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Sat, 25 December 2004 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've gotta run a cold air feed yet, haven't had time to do it... plus i need to buy some form of flexi tubing Smile
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Mon, 27 December 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't have any experience to back this up, but i would think that a pod filter with a decent CAI setup is the best way to go. I currently have a pod unsheilded, but it will be sheilded soon with cold air feed from the front of the car. I would hope to maybe notice a small increase in performance, nothing major though.

Anyway... my 2c
Justice
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Mon, 27 December 2004 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys
on the weekend i helped install a bigger cold air intake to a AU XR8 and BA XR6 and the difference was noticeable. after taking them for a bit of a thrash my mates bought a K&N air filter and that seamed to make a slight difference again. it was also noticeable with the revs aswell the revs were about 500rpm lower when traveling somethin like 120kmph. but it does alter the noise slightly aswell. i also find the selling the pod filters to 17 yr olds offensive in my case because i have a little more sense then believing everythin i see when playing need for speed underground Laughing
mozrav
Regular

June 2003
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Tue, 28 December 2004 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to have a pod in my RAV...it sucked in a lot of hot air and robbed performance. Then i made my own CAI and the difference was like night and day...consistent performance regardless of temp.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/mohit/cai02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/mohit/cai03.jpg
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Tue, 28 December 2004 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it was mentioned b4 somewhere in forums that a holden airbox is actually huge enough to fit a pod in it. anybody remember what model it came from?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Tue, 28 December 2004 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VN airbox is 180x210x290 external dimensions, and cost maybe $25 including a filter from holden.

cut a 2-3" hole for in and out and you are set..

pod filter... Laughing da fooly sikest maaaate

Laughing happy new year Wink
Cya, Stewart
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Tue, 28 December 2004 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justice wrote on Tue, 28 December 2004 03:43

it was also noticeable with the revs aswell the revs were about 500rpm lower when traveling somethin like 120kmph.

I'd very much like to know how this is possible.... rpm is directly linked to speed. unless the pod filter came with a lower ratio 5th gear/diff, I can't see it happening.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 29 December 2004 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 28 December 2004 21:54

it was also noticeable with the revs aswell the revs were about 500rpm lower when traveling somethin like 120kmph.

I'd very much like to know how this is possible.... rpm is directly linked to speed. unless the pod filter came with a lower ratio 5th gear/diff, I can't see it happening.

Bahahahahahahahahahah.... Laughing

Ha Laughing
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 29 December 2004 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol

Well i have heard of POD filters lowering the revs on an engine becuase it was less restictive than the stock one. At idle the rpm speed was around 800 but then put the POD on and it bumped down to 500.

anyone else noticed this?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 29 December 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now that is possible...but not when connected to any gearing.
McFly
Newcomer

December 2004
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 29 December 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 28 December 2004 12:54

Hi,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Now that is something for the record books!

Thanks.
McFly
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 29 December 2004 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
negative boost wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 17:48

lol

Well i have heard of POD filters lowering the revs on an engine becuase it was less restictive than the stock one. At idle the rpm speed was around 800 but then put the POD on and it bumped down to 500.

anyone else noticed this?

so when the super-duper pod filter allows more air to the engine it revs lower?
how does that work?

Cya, Stewart
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 29 December 2004 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
negative boost wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 17:18

Shouldnt it be the other way around?
Ie, more free flowing air = higher RPM (=what the throttle does).
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 29 December 2004 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh, it musty have been a HKS mushroom filter Wink they're the fullest sikest superduperpods around!!!!
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 29 December 2004 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would recommend using a VN SS or V6 air box with a 75mm feed coming from under the car at the front somewhere with a flared out end piece. Try and Keep it all sealed up as well.
_________
| |
---- filter |
---- in |
|___here__|
| |
| |
| |
| | __
\ \_______/
|_________ <---air-----
\__

ok this pic is rooted, so much for formatting

[Updated on: Wed, 29 December 2004 09:18]

Justice
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 29 December 2004 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McFly wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 15:07

draven wrote on Tue, 28 December 2004 12:54

Hi,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Now that is something for the record books!

Thanks.
McFly

120 was a set speed that we were cruzing at it was accelerating. but the idle speed when not in gear was slightly lower. apparently the xr somethin airbox is big enough to fit a pod in aswell i dont kno if thats true but i heard that off a unrelyable source
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Wed, 29 December 2004 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this may be possible if it was an automatic car.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Thu, 30 December 2004 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reading around the net on pod filters on a n/a 3SGE in the SW20 it spoke of lost performance if anything. Toyota aparently spent a lot of time/money getting the air box setup for good performance.

A 3SGTE is a different matter where a pod filter would give decent increases, but on a stock n/a I dont think they are worth it, especially if you've done no exhaust mods.

Another thing with the SW20 is pod filter placement, put it in the wrong place and it'd get wet in no time, making it even more useless.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Fri, 31 December 2004 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wet= cooler air Very Happy
Justice
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Fri, 31 December 2004 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sry guys i forgot to say there were auto (xr8) but ba was manual and i didnt take much notice of the revs
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Fri, 31 December 2004 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I so wish there was a pool room.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Sat, 01 January 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing
Justice
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: Are Pod filters worth it ? Sat, 01 January 2005 03:42 Go to previous message
Meat_rack wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 21:35

this may be possible if it was an automatic car.

sry forgot to mention that the xr8 au was auto the ba xr6 was manual but i didnt take much notice in that one
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Can't find it... need help
Next Topic:turbo manifold pics
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 02:48:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075950622558594 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.